71,640 new cases; 2,537 deaths, bringing the total to 502,544. I've been saying since Monday that the weather has been affecting the numbers and today Texas has confirmed it:

Winter weather is affecting the reporting of new COVID-19 cases and fatalities across many jurisdictions. New case counts will be artificially low until reporting resumes.
    Labs/Testing data were not able to be updated today due to power outages. Updates will resume when conditions permit.
    To a lesser degree it's affecting other parts of the country, though Texas certainly seems to be the most affected by it at present. Don't mess with Texas! Because they'll--uh...restore power to the richer neighborhoods first and really fucking drag their feet otherwise, I guess.

I'll continue the short reports until things normalize a bit which probably won't really be until next week, let's be honest. Florida's daily total topped the list at over 7k, for what it's worth. Fuck Florida.

Stay warm, folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    DeSantis is defending the move by saying "it's not because they're white, it's because they're old and white". He then threatened to pull the plug entirely because people were upset that he was being so overtly racist.
    Reminds me of a certain orange person who threatened to not send the vaccine to certain states because their governors weren't nice to him. Probably where he got the idea from.
    “Leadership: Whatever happens, you’re responsible. If it doesn’t happen, you’re responsible.” -- Donald J. Trump, 2013

"I don't take responsibility at all."
    -- Donald J. Trump, 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    They are going to point at troops gathering for the 4th, as evidence that Trump is taking over... just like they did on inauguration. It’s a snake eating it’s own tail...
    Actually, they all appear to be blaming Biden for the troops being there, saying that he's "forcing" them to stay there the entire year.

- - - Updated - - -

5,000 US troops will remain in DC until this deadline passes. So when someone, probably a Trump supporter, says "Hey Biden doesn't support the troops, bring them home!" please remind these Trump supporter that they're the reason the troops are in DC.
    They already are and I already did. You can guess how well that went over.

Quote Originally Posted by Ursus View Post
    Reminds me of a certain orange person who threatened to not send the vaccine to certain states because their governors weren't nice to him. Probably where he got the idea from.
    Related, but I almost fell out of my chair laughing when Gaetz suggested a DeSantis run in 2024. Like, at this point I wonder if he'd even be able win his own state, the latest numbers appear to be 42:46 favorable/unfavorable in FL.

https://www.fau.edu/newsdesk/article...ction-poll.php

These folks truly live in an alternate reality.

10+ Year Old Account
    The US is no longer the EU's biggest trading partner.

It's China.

"Trade wars are good, and easy to win!" -- a loser

10+ Year Old Account
    The US is no longer the EU's biggest trading partner.

It's China.

"Trade wars are good, and easy to win!" -- a loser
    That is what happens when you let manufacturing slip away to China for decades.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    ...At least he had the self-awareness not to make things worse.
    I think you spoke too soon: Cruz and his family have left Texas for a vacation in Cancun. To enjoy a sunny getaway while thousands of his constituents go without power in freezing temperatures.

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    They are going to point at troops gathering for the 4th, as evidence that Trump is taking over... just like they did on inauguration. It’s a snake eating it’s own tail...
    Hey, if it means they decide they don't need to help and stay home...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    This is what happens when you pile a shitload of tariffs on China and the EU with absolutely no fucking plan whatsoever for how to actually utilize them to achieve any sort of positive end result.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because as we all know, the EU remains a manufacturing hub and this clearly isn't the result of the US engaging in a silly and pointless trade war to please ignorant people who think Andrew Jackson did nothing wrong but call Rachel Maddow a war criminal. Lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyonai View Post
    I think you spoke too soon:
    Because of course I did. To be fair, I understand his motivation. Cowardice. I wouldn't want to face my voters, either.

- - - Updated - - -

Remember when Trump said "What do you have to lose?" trying to get the African-American vote?

Well, we found out.

Last year was the deadliest year in US history as counted by total deaths (not proportionally).

US life expectency drops a full fucking year. It's the biggest drop since WWII, and the only drop from a pandemic since 1918. Life expectency for an African-American dropped 2.7 years -- that's "what do you have to lose?" right there.

And it could get worse. This data only covers the first half of 2020.

Trump is a literal plague, and "kiled the second most Americans since literal Nazis" needs to be stamped on his record in every history book ever made.

10+ Year Old Account
    That happened in the 80s... The trade war and Trump’s disdain for making deals, happened 40 years after that...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    Fox confirms that Raphael Cruz (Q-TX) flew to Cancun with his family while Texas is freezing to death.

See when America sends its people to Mexico, they're not sending their best. They're sending people that have lots of problems, and they're bringing those problems with them. They're bringing insurrectionists. They're bringing mullets. They're liars. And some, I assume, are good people. /s
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

7+ Year Old Account
    Just started snowing here again an hour ago, and isn't forecast to stop until 4pm. Fuck Cruz.

I think you spoke too soon: Cruz and his family have left Texas for a vacation in Cancun. To enjoy a sunny getaway while thousands of his constituents go without power in freezing temperatures.
    Cruz suntans while Texas freezes. It's a shame he's not up for re-election until 2024.

His spokesperson claims that Cruz is scheduled to fly back to Houston this afternoon. I hope there is a nice, friendly mob of people waiting at the airport to welcome him back.
    “Leadership: Whatever happens, you’re responsible. If it doesn’t happen, you’re responsible.” -- Donald J. Trump, 2013

"I don't take responsibility at all."
    -- Donald J. Trump, 2020

I hope there is a nice, friendly mob of people waiting at the airport to welcome him back.
    He'll just call them insurrectionists.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Cruz suntans while Texas freezes. It's a shame he's not up for re-election until 2024.

His spokesperson claims that Cruz is scheduled to fly back to Houston this afternoon. I hope there is a nice, friendly mob of people waiting at the airport to welcome him back.
    I can't believe this asshat lost to Beto.

Enough idiots in Texas will still vote for this guy. But this is some 100% not understanding of the situation that quite a few politicians never get.

Enjoy that warm weather buddy, and that electricity in beautiful Mexico!!!
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    He got a whole night’s worth before heading back! He was on the upgrade list for a return flight today after the backlash. Good ol R. Cruz.
    Dude! You have taken the hit, might as well stay and enjoy the sun!!

Facing criticism for flying to Mexico while his state grapples with severe weather, Sen. Ted Cruz says he went because his daughters asked for a trip

Haha! Like any asshole, blame the daughter.

Sarcasm here. So do I get to call his daughter an asshole now, since he put the blame on her? I mean Ted you asked for it by blaming the daughter. Yes, this is sarcasm folks.
    Last edited by Paranoid Android; 2021-02-18 at 06:52 PM.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
    Dude! You have taken the hit, might as well stay and enjoy the sun!!

Facing criticism for flying to Mexico while his state grapples with severe weather, Sen. Ted Cruz says he went because his daughters asked for a trip

Haha! Like any asshole, blame the daughter.

Sarcasm here. So do I get to call his daughter an asshole now, since he put the blame on her? I mean Ted you asked for it by blaming the daughter. Yes, this is sarcasm folks.
    How many people in Texas are asking for a trip as well? What sort of ‘let them eat cake’, shit is this?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Well... Cruz's daughter is earning her keep by getting the blame.