Page 28 of 61 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Let me ask you this, why does Loki’s magic not look like Strange’s? Magic is all over the Thor movies, yes acknowledged as magic, none of it looks like Strange’s. Now, what explanation other than magic do you have for what is being done with the stones?
    "Now, what explanation other than magic do you have for bolts of lightning and thunder?"

"Now, what explanation other than God do you have for the sun rising every day?"

Just because you can't explain it doesn't mean it's magic. That's why I am asking you, has it ever been stated anywhere what MCU Scarlet Witches powers are? For all you know the Gems are incredibly sophisticated devices. Do Marvel comics distinguish between magic and other forms of Superpowers like DC? Superman does supernatural things, but isn't magic, neither is Green Lantern. We have clear examples of devices in the MCU that look like magic, but aren't. The Bifrost, for example. Asgardian tech, in general. If we glance over to the X-men, you have lots of people who can do all sorts of crazy stuff and aren't magic.

Comic books tend to be unnecessarily specific when it comes to the origins of powers. Just because two characters seem to be doing the same thing doesn't mean their powers are the same. If Agnes is more powerful than Wanda, what does she need her for? I'm assuming she needs Wandas power to accomplish something. Maybe she's trying to put Mephisto's Soul into Visions body, but needs both magic and the powers of the infinity gems for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    "Now, what explanation other than magic do you have for bolts of lightning and thunder?"

"Now, what explanation other than God do you have for the sun rising every day?"

Just because you can't explain it doesn't mean it's magic. That's why I am asking you, has it ever been stated anywhere what MCU Scarlet Witches powers are? For all you know the Gems are incredibly sophisticated devices. Do Marvel comics distinguish between magic and other forms of Superpowers like DC? Superman does supernatural things, but isn't magic, neither is Green Lantern. We have clear examples of devices in the MCU that look like magic, but aren't. The Bifrost, for example. Asgardian tech, in general. If we glance over to the X-men, you have lots of people who can do all sorts of crazy stuff and aren't magic.

Comic books tend to be unnecessarily specific when it comes to the origins of powers. Just because two characters seem to be doing the same thing doesn't mean their powers are the same. If Agnes is more powerful than Wanda, what does she need her for? I'm assuming she needs Wandas power to accomplish something. Maybe she's trying to put Mephisto's Soul into Visions body, but needs both magic and the powers of the infinity gems for that.
    Dude...

“Her powers, she’s never had any training, I’m talking about Scarlet Witch. She never had any training; she’s figuring it out. Arguably, you could say that that’s why her powers are much more chaotic and much more loose in the way that we showcased those light effects. In [Doctor Strange], some of what you might see today, even the cover of Entertainment Weekly, it’s much tighter. It’s all about focus. It’s all about pulling energies from other dimensions in an organized and purposeful fashion, which is why they can do a lot more than she can in, at least, a much more precise way.” - Kevin Feige

Also, Thor says "Asgardian sorcery is simply so advanced that it looks like magic" and "Your ancestors called it magic and you call it science. Well, I come from a place where they are one and the same thing"
    Last edited by Sorshen; 2021-02-19 at 04:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorshen View Post
    Dude...

“Her powers, she’s never had any training, I’m talking about Scarlet Witch. She never had any training; she’s figuring it out. Arguably, you could say that that’s why her powers are much more chaotic and much more loose in the way that we showcased those light effects. In [Doctor Strange], some of what you might see today, even the cover of Entertainment Weekly, it’s much tighter. It’s all about focus. It’s all about pulling energies from other dimensions in an organized and purposeful fashion, which is why they can do a lot more than she can in, at least, a much more precise way.” - Kevin Feige
    I thought she did have some sort of training (if basic) under Strucker? We do see her doing things to try and learn her powers with building blocks. I also thought the stones were cosmic powers and not necessarily wizardry. Either way, I don't mind what they call it. This show is banging.
    For the Alliance, and for Azeroth!

Quote Originally Posted by gcsmith View Post
    I thought she did have some sort of training (if basic) under Strucker? We do see her doing things to try and learn her powers with building blocks. I also thought the stones were cosmic powers and not necessarily wizardry. Either way, I don't mind what they call it. This show is banging.
    It's a minor retcon, she's a magic user after all, just not a trained one.

The rainbow bridge was a piece of technology that allowed them to access the bifrost. The way they did so before they made the rainbow bridge was using *gasp* dark magic.
    Fairly sure it was actually dark energy.

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Edit: I just googled it a little and it looks like him being a holocaust survivor wasn't even revealed until Uncanny #150 and wasn't core to his identity at the start. Which was almost 20 years after his first appearance in the comics. So any genocide level event could really occupy his backstory as long as it is used to shape his view on civil rights or any future revelation of "oh my god I've become what I hated" as in the before mentioned issue #150. https://www.cbr.com/x-men-magneto-holocaust-survivor/2/
    While this is true, it was always the intent to have Magneto a holocaust survivor. Just in the 60s and 70s, there were this stupid thing called the comic book code where the good guys had to be more good than Superman and your badguys pretty much had to be moustache-twirling "Look at me I'm super evil." types.

Well I guess I was wrong on Pietro. But it doesn't look like he's Mephisto either. He's just a puppet of Agatha's it seems. I loved that intro for Agatha's show though. Such a mischievous scamp!
    I'm a thread killer.

The Unstoppable Force RobertoCarlos's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    So they really did spoil the show in the early trailers. Lol. So much for some epic twist
    Suri Cruise and Katie Holmes are SP's.

It was a nice reveal and such, but i'm not buying that Agatha is the mastermind behind everything (making Wanda create the Hex and puppeteer the whole city), it would be too obvious. I think she is either helping willingly someone bigger who is still behind the scenes, like Mephisto or MOJO, or she is also being controlled and her reveal is just 'part of the show'.

" So much lost time... that you'll never get back!"....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Warrada View Post
    It was a nice reveal and such, but i'm not buying that Agatha is the mastermind behind everything (making Wanda create the Hex and puppeteer the whole city), it would be too obvious. I think she is either helping willingly someone bigger who is still behind the scenes, like Mephisto or MOJO, or she is also being controlled and her reveal is just 'part of the show'.
    It could be she’s working for Immortus or however it’s spelled. But yeah, Agatha is most likely working for somebody else.

What was with the mid-credit scene?

Pietro seemed a bit.....independent? Is that the word I'm looking for?

He didn't seem like a puppet of Agatha's at that moment, is what I'm saying.

Oh, I have to say this: Olsen absolutely fucking NAILED the impression of the mom from Modern Family, right down to facial expressions and hand gestures and the general attitude of an aggrieved working suburban mom.

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    It could literally be anything even a 100% made up event that mirrors a real world thing. It wouldn't diminish the character. And they could always go with a MCU event that sparked it much like they did for Wanda. We all know since the Avengers there have been a ton of different events that could be created or used to fit a backstory worthy of the Magneto pedigree.
    Sokovian? That could work

10+ Year Old Account
    What wine goes well with a hat?

I was very wrong. It's Agatha All Along.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post

Oh, I have to say this: Olsen absolutely fucking NAILED the impression of the mom from Modern Family, right down to facial expressions and hand gestures and the general attitude of an aggrieved working suburban mom.
    Bettany was also great as Hal last week, and the Kids did a decent Malcolm.

Every single week has felt exactly like TV from the era they were mimicking. Everyone involved has really done an amazing job shifting acting styles for each episode. It’s not an easy thing.
    If the new marvel paradigm is movies for big fun spectacle and TV for small stories and showing off actors, sign me the fuck up. Especially with Hiddleston up next.

Quote Originally Posted by SavoirFaire View Post
    If the new marvel paradigm is movies for big fun spectacle and TV for small stories and showing off actors, sign me the fuck up. Especially with Hiddleston up next.
    I think we'll see a lot more streamed mini-series and less big Blockbusters. Covid has probably changed the face of entertainment for quiet some time. Endgame might literally have been the last Blockbuster for the forseeable future.

The Unstoppable Force RobertoCarlos's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    I think we'll see a lot more streamed mini-series and less big Blockbusters. Covid has probably changed the face of entertainment for quiet some time. Endgame might literally have been the last Blockbuster for the forseeable future.
    China just broke records for some dumb detective series with threaters not even at full capacity. Hollywood will bring back that money don't worry
    Suri Cruise and Katie Holmes are SP's.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    It's like if you took Luke Cage and made him a white guy who faced prejudice for being left-handed. People would rightly lose their shit.
    If Luke Cage was played by Ned Flanders, I'd be all over that shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    While this is true, it was always the intent to have Magneto a holocaust survivor. Just in the 60s and 70s, there were this stupid thing called the comic book code where the good guys had to be more good than Superman and your badguys pretty much had to be moustache-twirling "Look at me I'm super evil." types.
    The comic book code didn't go away until the late 90's. Its possible though that the 60's was considered too soon after to have a villain be a Jewish Holocaust survivor. So maybe by the early 80's they were ok with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    This may, strangely enough, be a terrible state of affairs that nonetheless turns out to be an ideal outcome for the MCU.

Endgame wrapped up the first saga, and Far From Home gave us a nice little coda at the end, kind of like an "after-credits" scene on the scope of the entire saga. And then COVID forced what's essentially been a year-long break. 23 films in just over 11 years, so nearly a film every 6 months. Particularly when you consider that the first few films came out more slowly; since Phase 2, it's been 2-3 films a year. And at an accelerating pace, starting out at 2 per year, then shifting up to 3.

Far From Home came out in July 2019. If Black Widow comes out as planned, that'll be just two months shy of two years since then. The last time we had that kind of gap between MCU films was between Incredible Hulk and Iron Man 2. Almost exactly, oddly enough.

It's let everyone take a bit of a breath, let the aftermath of Endgame settle, and start to get thirsty for more.

It may not pick right back up with Black Widow, assuming it sees a theater release as planned. But it'll be due to the pandemic, more than because of fan burnout. Especially because the gap here applies to everything; there hasn't been any opportunity for any other property to fit itself into the gap here.

I'm not trying to argue that COVID was a "good thing", here, or even a "good thing for Marvel". Just noting what may be a silver lining to all this.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nastard View Post
    If Luke Cage was played by Ned Flanders, I'd be all over that shit.
    Sweet Chrididdlemas!