Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Out of Memory errors

On my fiance's computer, lately she's been having memory issues. Sometimes with wow but more often with Conan Exiles. I can't seem to trace the issue and we haven't done a full BFR just yet.

i5-4690K, 16gb ram, 500gb SSD, 750ti GPU.

Everything for the most part runs normally except the memory problems with some games. Some games use 4-5gb of ram, and yet there is almost 16/16 allocated for some reason. I'm not quite sure whats eating up 8 or so. In task manager (which I cannot show, since it crashed while taking a screenshot), it shows 5gb of ram accounting for "85% of memory"

EDIT: Upon rebooting and starting the game, it says 1.7gb used, 45%. That seems... not accurate remotely. I know some is cached but geez.
    Last edited by chazus; 2021-02-18 at 03:02 AM.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Check in BIOS if all 16gb are reported correctly
    Reseat ram sticks
    Run memtest or something similar

Sounds like there's something weird with the RAM, need to find out what

Sounds like something changed with virtual memory. Go into those settings and make sure its set to allow windows to manage it. I used to see this all the time in the early days of SSDs when people were trying to set really small amounts of virtual memory to save disk writes. It always caused this kind of problem.
    :::: AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d w/ NZXT Kraken Elite 240
    :::: MSI Meg X670E Tomahawk
    :::: 32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 6000mt/s CL36 DDR5
    :::: Samsung 512gb 960 PRO m.2 nvme ssd (OS), Samsung 1TB 950 EVO ssd
    :::: Nvidia RTX 3090 Founders Edition
    :::: Windows 11 Pro

Could that also be with the GPU's memory? I would think that Conan exiles would be really hard on a 750ti. When I had an AMD fx 8350, 16GB of ram, and an Nvidia 1050ti, I could barely run Conan exiles. I think when I ran GTA 5 on that setup that I had a message about running out of video memory.
    Last edited by Nihilist74; 2021-02-19 at 12:54 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lloose View Post
    Sounds like something changed with virtual memory. Go into those settings and make sure its set to allow windows to manage it. I used to see this all the time in the early days of SSDs when people were trying to set really small amounts of virtual memory to save disk writes. It always caused this kind of problem.
    Uhhh I'm pretty sure it's set to 0 page file last time I glanced at it.. I didn't set it but I'll check it.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

"Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    If you can get your head around it, RAMMap from the Sysinternals Suite can give you more information. Try the options under the "Empty" menu like Empty Working Sets. Superfetch (Sysmain) can also hold onto RAM. It's surprising how much memory Windows caches into RAM sitting there on standby.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Uhhh I'm pretty sure it's set to 0 page file last time I glanced at it.. I didn't set it but I'll check it.
    Im almost positive that is it then. Switch it back to being managed by windows and I'll bet it completely fixes it.

Is Windows 32 or 64 bit?

On my fiance's computer, lately she's been having memory issues. Sometimes with wow but more often with Conan Exiles. I can't seem to trace the issue and we haven't done a full BFR just yet.

i5-4690K, 16gb ram, 500gb SSD, 750ti GPU.

Everything for the most part runs normally except the memory problems with some games. Some games use 4-5gb of ram, and yet there is almost 16/16 allocated for some reason. I'm not quite sure whats eating up 8 or so. In task manager (which I cannot show, since it crashed while taking a screenshot), it shows 5gb of ram accounting for "85% of memory"

EDIT: Upon rebooting and starting the game, it says 1.7gb used, 45%. That seems... not accurate remotely. I know some is cached but geez.
    Download Process Explorer. It shows more detailed info about memory consumption, standard Task Manager don't show. For example it shows details about services running by SvcHost.exe.

I don't care about Wow 11.0, if it's not solo-MMO. No half-measures - just perfect xpack.

Few days late to the party but generally all Unreal Engine 4 games suffer from memory leaks that is only fixed if pagefile exists, not even sure how it works, all i know is if my pagefile is larger than 8GB i never crash.

Leaving it to auto doesnt always work also, considering it changes depending on system usage at times, "smartly" apparently, and it used to be around 6GB for 2 months, and then down to 3 for no reason and the crashes started back on UE4 games, therefor, 8GB defaulted, crashes vanished.

15+ Year Old Account
    Maybe that ancient 750ti?

Check out the directors cut of my project SCHISM, a festival winning short film
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiHNTS-vyHE

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Guns View Post
    Maybe that ancient 750ti?
    Unlikely, since it works fine with most other games. That said, the main issue is about ram usage... not the functionality of the video card.

Unlikely, since it works fine with most other games. That said, the main issue is about ram usage... not the functionality of the video card.
    Some programs are set to use pagefile instead of ram. Setting the pagefile to 0 will cause it to throw that error. It actually doesn't have anything to do with ram, its when programs want to use a pagefile and there isn't one. Its pretty common in modern games where textures load locally on the pagefile instead of sitting in ram. To be honest, there isn't any reason to have it set to 0. Setting the pagefile to 0 was something people did in early days to reduce writes to SSD's but is a non issue now.

Some programs are set to use pagefile instead of ram. Setting the pagefile to 0 will cause it to throw that error. It actually doesn't have anything to do with ram, its when programs want to use a pagefile and there isn't one. Its pretty common in modern games where textures load locally on the pagefile instead of sitting in ram. To be honest, there isn't any reason to have it set to 0. Setting the pagefile to 0 was something people did in early days to reduce writes to SSD's but is a non issue now.

This, there is no reason to disable the page file. I know some will argue this point, but it has been known to cause issues with it disabled. If you want to see if it is the problem, change it back to "let windows manage my pagefile" and test it.

This will probably solve your problem.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance."

10+ Year Old Account
    That is a really bad practice, the blame is squarely on the program there. The kernel OS decides as and when. At the very least tell the user it needs a pagefile configured, probably doesn't want to admit it, not cool.
    Last edited by Twoddle; 2021-02-28 at 10:20 PM.

Why disable the paging file?

There was also the idea of keeping everything in RAM instead of the HDD before SSDs to keep anything from hitting the HDD. It never worked out if you ran out of RAM though, so it always required a lot.

I agree with everyone else. If your pagefile is set to 0, change it back to windows managed. Games, applications, and windows use a crap load of RAM now. It's pretty easy to max out 16GB and when that happens, programs will just start crashing.
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | Gigabyte B650 Gaming X AX | Teamgroup DDR5 6000 32GB RAM | Sapphire Radeon 7900XT | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB + SK Hynix P41 Platinum 1TB | Windows 11 Pro

“When you've burned the bridges behind you, don't go starting a fire on the one in front of you.” ― Steven Erikson, The Bonehunters

Quote Originally Posted by sil3ntearth View Post

I agree with everyone else. If your pagefile is set to 0, change it back to windows managed. Games, applications, and windows use a crap load of RAM now. It's pretty easy to max out 16GB and when that happens, programs will just start crashing.
    They dont, no game without memory leaks passes the 10, maybe 12GB mark after a few hours, including windows and other stuff running, most literally hover at 4-6GB usage, even the heavier ones sometimes and rarely pass the 8GB mark.

Its this retarded design of some game engines because the majority has shit GPUs for 2019+ and they need write -mostly- VRAM components into the pagefile since the GPU doesnt have enough space, or it memory leaks and the VRAM runs out of space.

Unreal Engine 4 is usually the most common culprit, even at 11GB VRAM cards, it crashes "Out of memory" on 1080p, if the pagefile is non-existent, because the engine tries to write stuff onto the pagefile, despite not needing it too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Did you tried to update bios? I had quite familiar issue. Bios update fixed this.

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    They dont, no game without memory leaks passes the 10, maybe 12GB mark after a few hours, including windows and other stuff running, most literally hover at 4-6GB usage, even the heavier ones sometimes and rarely pass the 8GB mark.

Its this retarded design of some game engines because the majority has shit GPUs for 2019+ and they need write -mostly- VRAM components into the pagefile since the GPU doesnt have enough space, or it memory leaks and the VRAM runs out of space.

Unreal Engine 4 is usually the most common culprit, even at 11GB VRAM cards, it crashes "Out of memory" on 1080p, if the pagefile is non-existent, because the engine tries to write stuff onto the pagefile, despite not needing it too.

I don't know, maybe I'm old, but a game itself using more than 8GB of RAM is a lot to me. Lets say a game does use 10GB of RAM and you have 16GB total, let's hope you don't have chrome open, otherwise that last 6GB goes quickly. Point being, if you're playing a modern game and have 16GB of RAM, you're on a razer's edge. It's the new 8GB. Yes, it's all you need, but it doesn't leave you with a ton of headroom. Either way, you absolutely should not set your pagefile to 0 with 16GB of RAM, period.
    Last edited by sil3ntearth; 2021-03-04 at 05:33 PM.
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | Gigabyte B650 Gaming X AX | Teamgroup DDR5 6000 32GB RAM | Sapphire Radeon 7900XT | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB + SK Hynix P41 Platinum 1TB | Windows 11 Pro

“When you've burned the bridges behind you, don't go starting a fire on the one in front of you.” ― Steven Erikson, The Bonehunters