Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Is this a singleplayer game?

I'm currently leveling a new character after I quit mid Legion and just reached level 40 the other day. In these 40 levels I had zero interactions with other players and saw maybe one other player in the zone I was in. The world chat is dead and all you see in trade chat is people spaming their boost adverts. This can hardly be called an MMO anymore. Now you could say: "Just play Classic then". And I tried that and it's even worse. Good luck finding people that are willing to do quests or run a dungeon normally. What has happend that the game became so asocial?

You need to brute force it yourself because the community today is like this.
    I know.

Is not necessarily a "you problem" like im pretty sure many will say here

But...brute force it and you will see many people interacting with you.

There's a non-insignificant portion of the playerbase on this forum who think that dungeons should have NPCs instead of players so they can continue living out their single player MMORPG fantasy. That said, there's plenty of human interaction in modern WoW if you seek it. I've made a number of friends just PuGing M+. Sometimes I'll go on twitch and find people with low viewcounts and offer to join their groups.

10+ Year Old Account
    wow probably wouldn't have been that successful if it missed that single player vibe. before online games there was console games, everything stems from that. multiplayer was cool sometimes when you brought your friends, but the serious part of the game was played alone. same in wow. multiplayer enhances the game, but it's some kind of layer on top.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by VoidSeeker199X View Post
    What has happend that the game became so asocial?
    People happened, They decided they didn't want to talk.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, it can be a single-player game if that's what you want it to be.

I guess it shouldn't but honestly, I've had enough terrible encounters with the in-game community over the years that I only play with people I know. I'm not aware that in-world leveling requires anyone else but it used to be a lonely, longish grind. I guess it's better now but I haven't leveled a new character in over a year. Try joining up with a few communities. They tend to be mostly useless but if you are not in a guild currently there's a low chance that there will be something there.

Another angle is to look around on Facebook. Once y'all stop booing the idea know that there are a good number of FB groups that have their own guilds and I've had better luck there than anywhere else. As always, mileage will vary. Just asking around in chat is probably the worst way to go about it though.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2021-02-20 at 02:48 AM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

wow imagine being surprised that by the 9th expansion and with the leveling being sped up that you notice less people in those zones

you may not know this but,people leveling now have the option of leveling in almost any zone made in the past 8 expansions,and those levels go by pretty fast

and how the hek is classic WORSE?how??are people not lvling at all these days or what?

leveling is definitely single player. though if you spam dungeons to level sometimes you get into a group together for a couple hours straight and then some words can be exchanged if you want.

end game can be singleplayer if you want it to be. but its still possible to make good friends too.

If you want the social levelling experience I guess wait a little til BC classic launches and buy a lvl 58 boost?

Quote Originally Posted by agm114r View Post
    The toxicity of the multiplayer pug part of WoW right now means that if the singleplayer part didn't work well, the game would have really big issues. Coming from a player who tanked pugs all the way from Vanilla through Cata, the pug scene now is complete and utter crap. If I don't play with my guild, I'm playing alone, because it's just shit otherwise.

I'm playing something else right now, where every group isn't a big f-ing pile of nasty selfish people treating everyone else around them as NPCs put there for their playing pleasure. The playerbase has done this to WoW, not Blizzard.

YMMV.
    I know it's the playerbase and it's making me sad. It's just not how it used to be. I remember playing on a private server a year before classic launched and it was totally different. The chat was full people invited you causually into a group to do quests and later you would add them to your friendslist. There was always someone to play with.
    I haven't bought Shadowlands yet but this leaves a sour taste in my mounth and I don't feel it will get any better.

15+ Year Old Account
    I know it's the playerbase and it's making me sad. It's just not how it used to be. I remember playing on a private server a year before classic launched and it was totally different. The chat was full people invited you causually into a group to do quests and later you would add them to your friendslist. There was always someone to play with.
    I haven't bought Shadowlands yet but this leaves a sour taste in my mounth and I don't feel it will get any better.
    I get my social interactions through my guild.

I run raids with them, we bullshit

I run dungeons with them, we have fun.

I level new alts with them, do quests, grind shit, etc, it's social and entertaining.

I do not have time to take a chance on someone, when after playing MMOs for 20+ years (since the wee days of Pre-kunark EQ) have taught me that 90% of the player base I end up interacting with, are toxic, self-centric shitlords who make me want to actively avoid people. Occasionally, when doing high ends keys (11+) I pug and I find diamonds in the rough.

Guess what though? They're rare. I don't need other people to do quests, especially when I can ask guildies. People seem to forget this game never stopped being social, but guarantee most who claim it isn't any more, are PUG Superstars who refuse to find a decent guild. It's trial and error, but they're out there.
    Personal Preference and Opinions ≠ Facts, Truth, or Logic

I'm currently leveling a new character after I quit mid Legion and just reached level 40 the other day. In these 40 levels I had zero interactions with other players and saw maybe one other player in the zone I was in. The world chat is dead and all you see in trade chat is people spaming their boost adverts. This can hardly be called an MMO anymore. Now you could say: "Just play Classic then". And I tried that and it's even worse. Good luck finding people that are willing to do quests or run a dungeon normally. What has happend that the game became so asocial?
    Wow. You had no interactions with other players whilst leveling a new char 40 levels at the start of a new expansion chock full of content that people are going through.

Dead game man.

10+ Year Old Account
    The fact of the matter is that people today don’t care to be social. We are now in a time where people WANT to isolate and cut off social contact with their friends and family so they can consume their bread and circuses without the inconvenience of love. People today do not care about others. They do not even care about themselves. They only care about their THINGS, and they must get their THINGS at the expense of anything else.

Deal with it.

We have to take into consideration how much the digital world and the social media advanced during the last 10 - 15 years. Classic and the first few expansions were one of the very few places where you could digitally interact with others. It was cool and new. I could even suggest that WoW back then was a social media platform, with a gaming theme tbh.

Now I spend my entire day on zoom having meetings with people I haven't even seen once in my life for business, I sometimes don't feel like chatting in game when someone starts saying "oh where are u from". I've done that talk a million times. Let's just kill the boss and go our own way.

Join a guild and join their discord. There's no more than that.

The problem is that nobody levels to 40 anymore.
    I usually follow a speed run route that will get you to 40 in a couple of hours. While I do that I queue for dungeons because they're sometimes efficient if they can be cleared in less than 15 min and because its a good distraction.
    Most people are not leveling right now, that's the problem.

This is a single player game if one wants to treat it that way, certainly. It's avoiding the best of what the game has to offer, but hey.

Quote Originally Posted by deenman View Post
    and how the hek is classic WORSE?how??are people not lvling at all these days or what?
    The playerbase has the same mentality as in retail. Only the endgame matters. So if you aren't Level 60 by now you're shit out of luck and will have a miserable time leveling. So it would be no different to opening a local server and playing alone.

The playerbase has the same mentality as in retail. Only the endgame matters. So if you aren't Level 60 by now you're shit out of luck and will have a miserable time leveling. So it would be no different to opening a local server and playing alone.
    uhm...sure people are rushing,but it makes no logical sense that it would be WORSE than retail,because not every new player goes to buy a boost,so they lvl normaly....and the leveling zones are much much more limited and much slower,i guess they just exagerated...greatly by saying classic is much worse than retail for that

They don't design the game to be social and don't care.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.