Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

Arthas did Nothing Wrong

After seeing the latest patch cinematic, is Anduin responsible of what he did in it? if no, then the same goes for Arthas as he was under the Jailer influence all along.

Anduin is being directly mind-controlled. Arthas burned a city, killed allied mercenaries, doomed his soldiers to die, and this is before touching Frostmourne. Afterwards, he was never controlled, only lead. His emoted were sapped but he still had free will. He chose to kill his father and destroy his kingdom.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

7+ Year Old Account
    Like Peabrocks said, everything immoral he did before picking up Frostmourne was his own doing
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

7+ Year Old Account
    Arthas was not getting puppeteered by the Jailer.

Formerly known as Arafal

Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    Anduin is being directly mind-controlled. Arthas burned a city, killed allied mercenaries, doomed his soldiers to die, and this is before touching Frostmourne. Afterwards, he was never controlled, only lead. His emoted were sapped but he still had free will. He chose to kill his father and destroy his kingdom.
    To be 100% Fair though he definitely did slow the spread plague considerably.
    Lead Game Designer

YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/@Nateanderthal

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KSM899 View Post
    After seeing the latest patch cinematic, is Anduin responsible of what he did in it? if no, then the same goes for Arthas as he was under the Jailer influence all along.

Did you even play Warcraft 3? Have you kept up with the lore from in-game and in side pieces (Chronicles, for example) since WotLK?

You would not have posted this thread if you have, and I'll have to question your true intent with posting this thread if you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    To be 100% Fair though he definitely did slow the spread plague considerably.
    I disagree. His actions ultimately sped things up considerably even if he temporarily slowed it down at first.

In the original story, Arthas was not under the jailer influence all along.

But they can absolutely rewrite the story to make it true, and then redeem Arthas.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Arthas was being corrupted by making advantage of his emotions rather than using magic, kinda like how Anakin got corrupted by Palpatine. He still had noble intentions but things got dark rather quick for him the more that he was moving towards Mal'Ganis. When he picked up Frostmourne it was then where he lost his soul and became a puppet of the Lich King (who is now apparently a puppet of the Jailor..). The way Anduin got turned is more similiar like how Arthas tried to turn Bolvar in ICC.

As for Arthas having done nothing wrong, I'd say he was right that Stratholme had to be purged (better die just die a swift and clean death rather than turn into a zombie and kill your loved ones), but he was wrong the moment that he wanted to chase Mal'Ganis. Medivh even mentioned to Arthas that this fate would lead to him, but ofcourse he was to stubborn to listen (which I don't exactly blame him for either, Medivh should learn not to come over as a madmen).
    Last edited by McNeil; 2021-02-20 at 04:32 PM.

Arthas wiped out his home town, betrayed his own army, and turned his back on his friends and confidants before he ever even found Frostmourne.
    He basically corrupted his own soul to allow the Jailer easier manipulation AFTER he found the sword and helm.
    Anduin was taken by force, hence why you can see him have moments of coming to his senses in the cinematic.
    So no, there is no retcon for Arthas being completely under the Jailer’s influence, and if Blizzard tries to retcon it that way would mean they really are awful at storytelling. Now, while they may not be masterful articulators of the written word, they can actually tell an overall story decently well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Arthas wasn't forced....he did all that shit willingly.

Setting aside the issue of Arthas' crimes before he took up Frostmourne, Arthas and Anduin seem to react differently to the Jailer's influence. Anduin seems to be able to temporarily break free, looking for a moment like Arthas did as he died asking his father if it was "finally over," but he never actually speaks in the Kingsmourne cutscene, it's just the Jailer speaking through him. Zovaal describes him as a "vessel," he's little more than a puppet, while Arthas never seemed that way. He spoke of his own experiences, acknowledged his past, and still sought to protect his people and his kingdom in his own twisted way, raising them as an eternal army. This implies to me that he still had some agency even while dominated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormbreed View Post
    Mexico is already part of the USA so is Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Shandalar View Post
    Shadow deserves nothing, the same as Fire Mages.

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    I disagree. His actions ultimately sped things up considerably even if he temporarily slowed it down at first.
    Maybe, we may never know.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AwkwardSquirtle View Post
    Setting aside the issue of Arthas' crimes before he took up Frostmourne, Arthas and Anduin seem to react differently to the Jailer's influence. Anduin seems to be able to temporarily break free, looking for a moment like Arthas did as he died asking his father if it was "finally over," but he never actually speaks in the Kingsmourne cutscene, it's just the Jailer speaking through him. Zovaal describes him as a "vessel," he's little more than a puppet, while Arthas never seemed that way. He spoke of his own experiences, acknowledged his past, and still sought to protect his people and his kingdom in his own twisted way, raising them as an eternal army. This implies to me that he still had some agency even while dominated.
    Nerzy was in there too and the dominant force in the helm over Arthas as well, he took a backseat.
    Lead Game Designer

YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/@Nateanderthal

10+ Year Old Account
    In that short quest in Oribos when Bolvar gets chained by the Jailer, he mentions Bolvar being a failure like those before him. So wouldn't that mean Arthas did whatever the fuck he wanted instead of being the Jailer's herald or whatever?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tya View Post
    As a warlock, allow me to be the first to say that I get tremendous amounts of joy from watching fear pathing take you to Africa.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drayarr View Post
    Twinking is like going back to school when you are 30, just to be smarter than the other kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    Nerzy was in there too and the dominant force in the helm over Arthas as well, he took a backseat.
    Blizzard hate Ner'zhul, they've been downplaying him as much as possible since Wrath. The plot of Shadowlands is the next step in that plan, removing even more of his agency in Arthas' story by making the main driving force the Jailer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormbreed View Post
    Mexico is already part of the USA so is Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Shandalar View Post
    Shadow deserves nothing, the same as Fire Mages.

10+ Year Old Account
    Except arthas did most of his shit before he even had frostmourne.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

See, the reason this new Anduin Lich King nonsense falls flat is because it is basically just mind control. There is honestly no reason whatsoever that Anduin is the one who has to become the 'new Lich King', they might as well have picked some random no-name NPC ("oh no, but he's a super powerful wielder of the light, it has to be him!" aaand that's bad writing). At least giving the role to Sylvanas would've made sense, as eye-rolly as that would have been.

Arthas earned his fall from grace with atrocities in his quest for vengeance. Anduin did nothing of the sort, did not make personal choices that led to him being in that situation, and has had no character involvement in this entire atrocious arc. He is nothing but living proof of how far Blizzard's writers have fallen.
    Last edited by Arikara; 2021-02-20 at 05:32 PM.

I side with Arthas, I hate uther, thread I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by AwkwardSquirtle View Post
    Blizzard hate Ner'zhul, they've been downplaying him as much as possible since Wrath. The plot of Shadowlands is the next step in that plan, removing even more of his agency in Arthas' story by making the main driving force the Jailer.
    yea he will be retconned out sooner or later. Originally the Helm of domination and sword were to keep him under control for the dreadlords. Then he found Arthas to take the blade and help him out by killing the dreadlords for what they did to him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedi Batman View Post
    Sounds like a euphemism for real life. We throw money at the rich, in hopes that we will someday be rich, and then we get hookers to piss on us. That's what trickle down economics really is.

DK Arthas was under Ner'zhul's control, who was not under anyone's control.
    Lich King Arthas is basically DK Arthas with free will but also somewhat of a new character as he has memories of Ner'zhul mixed in.

Neither Scourge version of Arthas was actually Arthas, but neither was he a pawn of the Jailer, or else he would have helped the Jailer instead of trying to protect Azeroth in his own twisted way.

Also what Anduin is guilty of... is literally stealing everything that made Arthas... Arthas. Not only did they make him look like Arthas this patch, they also gave him Arthas' scaled leggings if it wasn't too obvious already that they're just making him an Arthas2.0 because they dont want to give us Arthas.
    Last edited by MikeBogina; 2021-02-20 at 06:08 PM.