Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    The meteor hammer I was referring to was THIS, so it wouldn't overlap at all with WAR.
    Had no idea that's what that was called. Good catch!

A new class is always exciting to me as it just means more options, new aesthetic, new class story, etc...but if they were to allow for jobs to hold different roles and change their move set, like a DPS PLD Tank SAM, Melee RDM, or Caster NIN or something I'd be super excited about that too, even more excited than a new job because it would provide even more options.
    Tank SAM would be kinda cool. I ship it. See ya in 2040.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ninja could tank (kinda) in FF11 so I'd be down to play a Ninja tank in 14. Although its shadows would probably be either OP or kinda useless, just like 11.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    Ninja could tank (kinda) in FF11 so I'd be down to play a Ninja tank in 14. Although its shadows would probably be either OP or kinda useless, just like 11.
    The shadows were the main reason a NIN could tank in 11. They'd have to take a hit eventually, but with the shadows, they could tank without getting hit most of the time and their low armor rating wasn't a big deal. They were stupid expensive though, because each time they cast their shadows (or any other Ninjutsu technique) it cost a reagent they had to have in their inventory. Not to mention having to invest in evasion gear and food which was either time consuming or really expensive, or both.

The pay off was amazing though as they could solo pretty much anything.

Edit: Just now realized you probably meant they were either OP or useless, depending on the situation, just like they were in 11. Oops.
    Last edited by Katchii; 2021-02-19 at 03:25 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The shadows were the main reason a NIN could tank in 11. They'd have to take a hit eventually, but with the shadows, they could tank without getting hit most of the time and their low armor rating wasn't a big deal. They were stupid expensive though, because each time they cast their shadows (or any other Ninjutsu technique) it cost a reagent they had to have in their inventory. Not to mention having to invest in evasion gear and food which was either time consuming or really expensive, or both.

The pay off was amazing though as they could solo pretty much anything.
    Unfortunately most of the endgame enemies in 11 now wipe shadows so Ninja is pretty unusable as a tank in the current meta, although they're adding a weapon for Ninja that makes their shadows apply to their party which people are saying is gonna be a game changer.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    But Ink Mage sounds fucking stupid and should not be a thing. IMO of course.
    Whaaat?

Why's that.
    I think the idea of creating images and giving the aether used a visual form sounds fun.

Like - the character throws a puddle of ink to his left and right and swings around his/her brush and 2 little shadowkeeper-doggos keep forming and pouncing out of it towards your target.
    Last edited by KrayZ33; 2021-02-19 at 03:12 PM.

Ink Mage with the brush mechanic from Okami, please!

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    But Ink Mage sounds fucking stupid and should not be a thing. IMO of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by KrayZ33 View Post
    Whaaat?

Why's that.
    I think the idea of creating images and giving the aether used a visual form sounds fun.

Like - the character throws a puddle of ink to his left and right and swings around his/her brush and 2 little shadowkeeper-doggos keep forming and pouncing out of it towards your target.
    Depending on how they implement it, it would be ridiculous, or amazing...or both, kinda like BLU.

In the anime, Black Clover, there's a mage that uses paint and he's pretty OP.

https://blackclover.fandom.com/wiki/Rill_Boismortier

Boils down to him being able to paint whatever he wants and bring it to "life." So he can use any element (in a world where mages typically only ever have access to one), create plants, animals, buildings, huge columns of fire and electricity, a wave of quicksand, a lake surrounded by wind and storm, etc... which gives him a huge tactical advantage over others in most cases.

Kinda sad that Squenix still hasn't updated their payment procedures to post 2k standards. Getting the annoying error 601 after 2 years again (because their browser script failed at any part of their 1€ validation procedure) is kind grinding my gears. /sigh

Does anyone know what happens to your retainers when your subscription runs out? I hope I won't have to fish all that rubbish out of the mail next week :/.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Whaaat?

Why's that.

Depending on how they implement it, it would be ridiculous, or amazing...or both, kinda like BLU.

Boils down to him being able to paint whatever he wants and bring it to "life." So he can use any element (in a world where mages typically only ever have access to one), create plants, animals, buildings, huge columns of fire and electricity, a wave of quicksand, a lake surrounded by wind and storm, etc... which gives him a huge tactical advantage over others in most cases.
    It's just an archetype I don't care about at all. The thematics are cool, no doubt about that, but dear god DO NOT CALL IT INK MAGE.

Another example would be .. Sai (?) from Naruto. Summoning creatures in that swirly art style would be kinda cool, at least from a visual perspective. There are also a few stories in novel/manga form out there about "word/caligraphy" magic users that can cheat the respective world's system by "painting" japanese symbols which usually convey more meaning than our letters. Though I wonder if they would dare to go for something like that, since they know that they have audiences that wouldn't get the japanese literature aspect of it and caligraphy can be extremely pretentious.
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2021-02-19 at 05:12 PM. Reason: spelling
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Another example would be .. Sai (?) from Naruto. Summoning creatures in that swirly art style would be kinda cool, at least from a visual perspective. There are also a few stories in novel/manga form out there about "word/caligraphy" magic users that can cheat the respective world's system by "painting" japanese symbols which usually convey more meaning than our letters. Though I wonder if they would dare to go for something like that, since they know that they have audiences that wouldn't get the japanese literature aspect of it and caligraphy can be extremely pretentious.
    There already was a raid fight based on paintings, it's not like the concept is novel to the world of XIV.
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Looking for Raid.
    They never found one though

15+ Year Old Account
    Whaaat?

Why's that.

Sai from the Naruto anime was sooooo bad. (Which is what I visualize in this instance)

https://www.fanbyte.com/features/lea...xiv-endwalker/

Yoshi confirms that Natsuko Ishikawa is writing the main story to Endwalker just like Shadowbringers.

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    https://www.fanbyte.com/features/lea...xiv-endwalker/

Yoshi confirms that Natsuko Ishikawa is writing the main story to Endwalker just like Shadowbringers.
    No disrespect, but I think people (namely the FFXIV fandom on the forums and on reddit) are putting her on a pedestal, as if she was the sole reason for why Shadowbringers was great. A great script means jack all without a good everything else. It seems like people are eager to ignore the quest planners, the people who paced the quests and story flow and zone progression, the cutscene directors and animators, the voice director, and so on. That said, it is nice to get confirmation.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    No disrespect, but I think people (namely the FFXIV fandom on the forums and on reddit) are putting her on a pedestal, as if she was the sole reason for why Shadowbringers was great. A great script means jack all without a good everything else. It seems like people are eager to ignore the quest planners, the people who paced the quests and story flow and zone progression, the cutscene directors and animators, the voice director, and so on. That said, it is nice to get confirmation.
    While true, I think your underestimating just how crucial a well written story is to create everything else you touched on. The other folks should be getting recognition too, but there's a reason she's getting so much attention. Without her, the rest of it wouldn't have happened the way it did.

This tend to happen when only a small amount of people are willing/fine to be known to the public.

People put Yoshi-P on a pedestal too, but forget about the great developers around him. Because, well, we don't really know of the other developers.

She's not the sole reason for ShB being good. She's the reason for the story in ShB not being the dumpster fire that passes for a story in WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Merie View Post
    She's not the sole reason for ShB being good. She's the reason for the story in ShB not being the dumpster fire that passes for a story in WoW.
    That would be Banri Oda. He's been the main scenario writer and the head writer in the FFXIV team since ARR. They have a team of writers though. He was working with Ishikawa this time around, but for other expansions he was working with someone else on the MSQ. Basically he's like what Metzen used to be and what Steve Danuser is now.

But SHB was different than the previous expansions in that sense because of Ishikawa, that's true. She's good at writing tragic characters and that's one of the things that made SHB so good.

I was so surprised to learn a couple of months ago that the writing department for WoW also has a big team apparently. Because how the hell do multiple people manage to make every single patch inconsistant with what happened previously?

Well, I'm pretty sure that will never happen to FFXIV anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    I was so surprised to learn a couple of months ago that the writing department for WoW also has a big team apparently. Because how the hell do multiple people manage to make every single patch inconsistant with what happened previously?

Well, I'm pretty sure that will never happen to FFXIV anyway.
    While they have alot of writers, they come with alot of baggage. I would be very surprised if their team actually had a diverse mindset, since that is pretty much not the case for their location. Even more importantly though, WoW has always placed story second (or lower). They tailor the story to fit the random nonsense the big wigs want to see happen next, to the gameplay that they feel needs to happen next. You simply can't expect much from a story that way. Also Danuser is a muppet. Metzen wasn't god's gift to writing either (cata *cough*), but he was the closest thing to an original vision we had. The current team is another vision, and everytime people in the team changes the vision will change as well.

Lastly, it can always happen. Especially FF had it's fair share of grief, let me just remind you of the Lightning saga which they religiously stuck to despite barely anyone liking it. (well I guess the japanese might have liked to doll up lightning..)Decent writers leave to other projects, they are tasked with scenarios they aren't comfortable with, they run out of ideas, etc. Creative processes are always prone to ups and downs. I mean stormblood was quite a bit down fom heaven's ward and we can only hope that the next one will remain on the same level as Shadowbringers.

PS: Squenix really doesn't want my money it seems.. sigh. Edit: Your online presence has some serious flaws when it's easier to set up a SEPA mandate than swiping your credit card..
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2021-02-23 at 09:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    While they have alot of writers, they come with alot of baggage. I would be very surprised if their team actually had a diverse mindset, since that is pretty much not the case for their location. Even more importantly though, WoW has always placed story second (or lower). They tailor the story to fit the random nonsense the big wigs want to see happen next, to the gameplay that they feel needs to happen next. You simply can't expect much from a story that way. Also Danuser is a muppet. Metzen wasn't god's gift to writing either (cata *cough*), but he was the closest thing to an original vision we had. The current team is another vision, and everytime people in the team changes the vision will change as well.
    I find it odd we suggest that a JP dev team (especially with their culture) are being praised for having a diverse mindset. They definitely put out a solid story, no doubt about that, but I'd be hard pressed to think its quality is a result of any type of diverse thinking.

While WoW's story sometimes sucks, hell even most of the time, they've gotten consistently better about it. Is it as refined as FF14's MSQ? Absolutely not, but they're taking notes slowly and over the last 2 expansions I've seen scenarios where they're CLEARLY looking at FF14 for storytelling inspiration. Just having our MC be the main focus in cutscenes and storytelling for one. They just need to fix the whole NPC models being 3x our size thing. That shit drives me crazy and kills a lot of immersion.