Why do you play WoW?

So I reinstalled and resubbed, but soon after logging in, l couldn’t help but log out and go do something else with the little free time I have. My go to “lazy” free time activity used to be WoW. It just felt like I am playing World of Task craft. I am bombarded with a to do task list of endless chores, being told exactly what to do and where to do it almost at all times. But all I want is an adventure in a fantasy world where I can escape reality and have fun while doing it.

Then the question I asked myself, why do I wanna play WoW anyway? Is it because it’s the only decent game in its genre despite its issues? I think it is ultimately the fact that until now, nobody else managed to make a game decent enough to take WoW’s place is what made me reinstall it.

What about you all, why do you play WoW?

Back in vanilla times, the whole server knew you, even when unguilded. Showing off your achievements felt good. PvP would have been much better faction vs faction from your own server and if queues are longer than 15 minutes, then play against your own faction.

During that 15 minutes wait, so much can be done both in game and outside, while preserving the sense of community and giving meaning to one’s achievements. Now, we have a task list to play and nobody to play it with who actually knows us.
    Last edited by RemasteredClassic; 2021-02-22 at 12:05 AM.

I play because i love the complexity of the game and I love raiding. I really love working as a team to knock out bosses. If WoW has raids, Ill find a way to play.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's fun, and it's familiar. Reduces my anxiety. Sometimes I even listen to the music while doing other stuff. Feels good.

Also it's nice talking with the folks and visiting the places. Cheap traveling.

Stood in the Fire Fixxit the Gnome's Avatar
    5+ Year Old Account
    It's familiar, and comforts me. I get really relaxed by playing WoW. And I feel it is really easy to just drop in or out when I want to play.

I do enjoy that I can basically play for 30 minutes and still get some progress.
    - Dare not to sleep -

I don't right now, it is too expensive and addictive so I am taking a long break. Plus other companies are starting to provide far more value for less than a single subscription to WoW and going forward if they don't start providing more than just Retail and Classic I am not sure they will be able to compete in the subscription wars which are only beginning.

It gives me stuff to do that makes me relax and is rather flexible with my time. I mostly play to progress my characters and see what the game has to offer. I do like to switch between Classic and some other games from time to time.

Keyboard Turner
    7+ Year Old Account
    I did resub to the game for a month but its the same repetitive tasks and got boring real fast, Its the same thing with each new expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by RemasteredClassic View Post
    So I reinstalled and resubbed
    After just two weeks? You sure changed after saying "this is it".
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...3#post52997473
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

I don't, I played wow since 2004. Every expansion from start to finish. Then I played Classic for 5months. After I played classic for 5months it made me realize I don't find it fun anymore. It's awesome, I play whatever I want now. Finally beating games I always wanted to play but couldn't cause I was too busy raiding...farming...grinding..leveling alts....I spend more time with my friends and gfs cause I don't have to be home on the computer 4 nights a week for 4hours. 6-10pm really hinders your social life. After that you go to bed and wake up for work, non raid days are used for the above of farming/grinding. WoW really is an addiction, regardless if people want to accept it or not.

Yeah I could of been like the majority casual fan base who just log on to play LFR and do pet battles. I decided it was better off just not playing anymore. RDR2,GTAV,DS3,AC odyssey, AC Vahalla, all 8 SWTOR class stories, The Mass effect series, Dragon age series. All games i've finally had a chance to check out. No regrets.
    There's nothing wrong with playing WoW, I just wasn't able to find a happy medium. It's the first time in 16 years I have 0 zero desire to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    Watching Blizzconline got me all stupidly excited and, like the others said, it is familiar. This time, I will keep my sub active until another game fully takes wow’s place. That game currently does not exist yet, unfortunately. Because if it did, maybe blizzard devs wouldn’t be making the choices they’ve made with SL’s endless systems and currencies instead of keeping it simple.

You aren't alone OP. We aren't the target audience anymore which is okay. I had a good run with current wow design now I await tbc classic and diablo 2 remaster. In all reality though I probably wont even play tbc classic much because my time is limited now too. It's a nice nostalgia dream to think about returning to tbc and going hard 10hrs a day like I used to when I was a teenager but can't really do nowadays. Now I just get satisfaction from reading the wow forums thinking back to the days of old.
    Last edited by Brewhan; 2021-02-22 at 12:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    Its almost like certain individuals create "controversial" threads to grab some attention.

3+ Year Old Account
    Because I have a (huge) attachment to my characters I've made, both RP/and non-RP wise.

Also because Bwonsamdi is hot
    I don't play WoW anymore smh.

Probably because I still enjoy the game, though I'm mixed on SL, I have about 2 hours of free time to relax at night, WoW offers me that opportunity as well as being able to watch a little TV at the same time. Most of the other games I have need a larger time commitment or more focus, which I just don't have right now. I do have nights where it feels like a "chore", and those are the nights I just don't log in.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    "I Quit" type threads don't tend to produce much in the way of constructive discussion or debate. Closing this.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead