Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitei View Post
    Yes? Because again, the Primus literally tells us that the chains were not supposed to be weaponry, they were weaponized. I.e. at no point was Zovaal the lord of chains or master of domination.
    Why would the lord of a prison have weapons to hurt his inmates? It goes against how the cycle works for the other guys (not even the Venthyr are supposed to physically hurt the ghosts).

It could mean the same as "the prison master has found a way to use his chains (that he uses to chain people) into a weapon"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagawithlegs View Post
    Why would the lord of a prison have weapons to hurt his inmates? It goes against how the cycle works for the other guys (not even the Venthyr are supposed to physically hurt the ghosts).

It could mean the same as "the prison master has found a way to use his chains (that he uses to chain people) into a weapon"
    The Maw is full of torment for a reason and clearly he has had help from the outside like perhaps some dreadlord friends who probably could get in and out of the Maw
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    But then who is Baldy?

I have one guess.
    Honestly? If he's not simply the original Arbiter-being that was imprisoned a long time ago, maybe before the EO's existed, then he may be a world soul. Maybe Nathreza's.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    I have one guess.
    Danuser himself?
    Garrison Mission Manager: Select best followers for BfA, Legion and WoD missions.
    Instance Spec: Switch to spec suitable for your role when "dungeon ready" pops up.
    LDB: WoW Token: Monitor WoW Token price changes in LDB display.
    Other addons: Quest Map with Details * LFG Filter for Premade Groups * Obvious Mail Expiration.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    The Maw is full of torment for a reason and clearly he has had help from the outside like perhaps some dreadlord friends who probably could get in and out of the Maw
    That is one reason I think "Zovaal" may be related to Nathreza and Denathrius in a way the actual Jailer/Runecarver isn't.

We know that Denny helped throw "the Jailer" into the Maw. So why would he help him now?

Maybe he isn't a friend of the Jailer but he is a friend of whoever is pretending to be him. Who happens to look like a vampire himself...

Quote Originally Posted by rowaasr13 View Post
    Uh, they've done it just a tier ago. Remember bringing HoA to the palace and thus releasing N'Zoth?
    Not quite what I was talking about. I was talking about us meeting an npc, thinking he was a good guy, helping him out, only to find out he was a bad guy who used us. Someone we knew was bad using our actions, or even presence, to advance their plans is something else.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Th3Scourge View Post
    Drakuru was shit-tier though, this would be titan-tier subversion
    It's still an example of us meeting a guy, thinking he's good, helping him out, only to find out he's bad. Which was what I was going for.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

I think the Runecarver being bad is the wrong takeaway from this theory. If he was bad, then why would "The Jailer" have taken his memories and imprisoned him while using his powers and magic to do his thing?

More likely the impostor is some evil thing that was imprisoned and overthrew his Jailer.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowofVashj View Post
    I mean your theory definitely has some legs and adds to some intrigue as to who this new shadowy figure is who is pulling the strings... However that concept art of the Runecarver just has me more convinced he's the Primus.
    yeah, that leaked pic is definitely the primus

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloudmaker View Post
    This is so scary now. Where is real Primus then?
    The real Primus is the friends we made along the way.
    Sylvanas didn't even win the popular vote, she was elected by an indirect election of representatives. #NotMyWarchief

If he uses them to chain people, they are already weapons, guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitei View Post
    If he uses them to chain people, they are already weapons, guy.
    True, but both a warden and a prisoner have chains.

So... why exactly is Zovaal COVERED in these runes? Why would the Jailer put domination runes on HIMSELF? They're on his forehead for gods sake. I think it's likely that someone else put those runes on him to dominate him and keep him in check.
    Well...

Runecarver is also covered in Runes.
    I agree with you though that there has to be something else. There is something we don't know, somewhere. Denathrius mentions Jailer wants to "reclaim what was his". He had something that he was deprived of eons ago. And this is not "DesTroY tHe UnIVeRsE" neither "C O N S O O M", he seems to simply want to get back something he lost at that time.

We'll very likely learn that soon enough, but I'm a bit afraid that the recent writing leads to "Zovaal is evil dude", we kill it and that's it, everyone is happy.

WoW is not really known for it's great twists in the story. I like your idea but it is likely false.

The Runecarver is the one that created Frostmoure and the Helm of Domination. Items that are commanding undead through powerful necrotic magic. Nowhere in the Maw do we have any necromancy of that type (the soldiers barely have bodies, they are pure souls in armor) used and the Scourge is quite obviously molded after the denizens of Maldraxxus, from the ghouls to the liches to the abominations.

On top of that, the Primus is recognized as a master smith and he left behind no less then a Runeblade, exactly like Frostmourne. It is very likely that the Runes on the Jailers body and armor are what is holding him in the Maw, likely inscribed by the Primus when the Eternal Ones bound him there.
    But after eons he managed to also turn them into weapons for himself, just like the chains that were binding him in the past and are now under his control to bind his enemies. He still cannot escape but he can use the Runes and Chains to dominate others.

In any other franchise I would say it is too obvious that the Runecraver is the Primus and it can't be, but that is just not how WoW works. Much like people making ludicrous assumptions who burned down Teldrassil, from Jaina to Tyrande herself, with the big twist being that there is no twist and it was Sylvanas, I would not expect any surprises here.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    I think we're over speculating, the Maw isn't gonna be done just yet. I think Zovaal is who he says he is and I doubt Blizzard is gonna do "NO IT WAS ME WHO IS THE JAILER." No I think its simple Runecarver is Primus. I do think its possible the current look of the Shadowlands isn't necessarily what it always was.
    Yea.. we always overthink the situation. We were overthinking the plaon fact sylvanas lit up the tree, but instead it actually was sylvanas. These type of scenarios happen all the time and it realy helps to get dissapointed.

So stop doing that and always go for the obvious pick, blizzard does that so you have to do that as well.

There is no 4d chest, there is no super secret reveal plan or a double life.. accept the fact that its a game that is 12+ and they need to keep it simple. For example A 45 year old speculating for 13 pages about a certain motivation didnt line up because of what was said blabla will likely never get an awnser because that is not realy what wow is offering. People seem to miss that and end up being dissapointed because their point wasnt brought up. Just dont expect to much has been my experience for the last 16 years.
    Last edited by Alanar; 2021-02-22 at 11:45 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Would it not be fun if this Jailer is actually a clone of the original Jailer, a clone that has taken the position of original and keeps the original chained somewhere within the maw.
    Warcraft 3 Reign of Chaos was the game that brought me into gaming. I was 17 years old then, I abhorred gaming before this game. From then on, I became a fan of Warcraft and Blizzard. To see it all go down the drain like this is truly sad for me. No king rules forever but at least some of them went down in history as real badasses. I hoped Blizzard and Warcraft would be one of them but it is no longer possible.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BrintoSFJ View Post
    Would it not be fun if this Jailer is actually a clone of the original Jailer, a clone that has taken the position of original and keeps the original chained somewhere within the maw.
    And what exactly is the point in that? More hurr hurr?

So... why exactly is Zovaal COVERED in these runes? Why would the Jailer put domination runes on HIMSELF? They're on his forehead for gods sake. I think it's likely that someone else put those runes on him to dominate him and keep him in check.
    I mean he literally said he did to anduin what the eternal ones tried to do to him. Maybe i am reading to much into this, but it seems like zovaal did something they did not like, they tried to control him with knowledge from the primus and the first ones (probably why his armor looks so much like the lich king armor and the helm of domination would fit perfectly) and this either didn't work out so they banished him or they banished him and tried to dominate him while hes in the maw. Doesn't matter what did happen first, really.

Interesting theory though, but time has proven that the most obvious answer is the right one.
    Last edited by Foolicious; 2021-02-22 at 12:13 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    It would actually make a lot of sense.

Like, the jailer is supposed to be bound right? Well, he seems pretty free when he walks around the Maw. So what if the jailer is hidden/jailed somewhere and his herald, our Zovaal, true purpose is to find the keys to his masters chains.

Im not sure it is the Runecarver though, as it does seem like the "Jailer" is torturing him. So it makes more sense, that he is the Primus, especially since the Primus was an amazing smith and the Runecarver is aswell.

I think it would be a good twist actually. Not to diminish our current "Jailer", but to explain why the world has not be ruined yet. The jailer is yet to be freed, but if the other Eternal Ones give their keys, then he can take over the Shadowlands and make death an eternal end.
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

I'll be disappointed if the name Zovaal doesn't turn out to refer to a Cartel Zo Broker somehow.

As for the Jailer, my best theory is the kyrian overthrew (in a secret coup) the Jailer who was in the Arbiter's position originally, and started the memory-wiping to try and keep it a secret.

The Primus being his own statue is definitely a possibility; some of the messages he left on his answering machine seemed like a case of The Tape Knew You Would Say That otherwise.

I wouldn't look too much into the story, though; this is the same story that has Draka give us a world quest to kill members of the House of Rituals we're canonically allied with, to stop them from spying on the House of the Chosen who betrayed us. As much as I want a twist like a memory-restored Runecarver turning out to be the real Jailer in a Light-style "just according to keikaku" moment, the Runecarver is most likely the Primus, and hid his key from the Jailer (either in his statue or somewhere in Korthia, which is why the Jailer wants to go there).

If there IS a twist, the most likely one will be that the Runecarver and Primus are actually two separate people... or two halves of the same person, like Uther or Varian.
    It became clear that it wasn’t realistic to try to get the audience back to being more hardcore, as it had been in the past. -- Tom Chilton

7+ Year Old Account
    But... why would they imprison someone who is supposed to be the realm's Jailer? Isn't the Jailer supposed to run the prison, not be imprisoned himself?
    "Powerful prisoner holds dominion over his prison" is one of the oldest fantasy tropes in existence.

Formerly known as Arafal