Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Lich Anduin doesn't feel as horrifying as Arthas

He feels more like a machine or a puppet, whereas Arthas felt like a master of rot and fear.
    Maybe it's Shadowlands as a whole changing the whole concept of death, making it less, I dunno, frightening and rotten.
    I know that Anduin IS possessedd, rather than corrupted, but still. I don't get the same "deathly" feeling from him, more mechanical.

What do you think?
    Last edited by Deathknightish; 2021-02-22 at 01:52 PM.

Whats to say Arthas was not a puppet? If the helm and sword were literally crafted under the Jailers orders that could have been how Arthas was controlled. Actually, it makes sense as it was a great way to unleash hell on Azeroth and send a lot of souls into the Maw.

Either way, it feels more horrifying. Sure someone can do evil under their own volition but it just seems more sinister being controlled by an otherworldly force. Seeing and feeling everything you are doing but having absolutely no control over it. It seems like a fate worse than death honestly.

5+ Year Old Account
    Arthas had a lot of build-up across games and novels before he was the Lich King and resurfaced in WotLK. Anduin doesn't have massacres, betrayals, or fan-favorite character 1v1s under his belt. Also, Arthas' inevitable ascension to the Frozen throne felt like just that, while Anduin was just put into purely the puppet aspect of the Lich King's legacy. You can argue Arthas was a puppet as well, but he was still the one who made his own choices at the start.

And I agree with the tone feeling off.
    Moderator of the General Off-Topic, Politics, Lore, and RP Forums
    "If you have any concerns, let me know via PM. I'll do my best to assist you."

7+ Year Old Account
    Because they didn't come up with the Jailer shenanigans until 2 years ago, retconning lots of stuff
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathknightish View Post
    He feels more like a machine or a puppet, whereas Arthas felt like a master of rot and fear.
    Maybe it's Shadowlands as a whole changing the whole concept of death, making it less, I dunno, frightening and rotten.
    I know that Anduin IS possessedd, rather than corrupted, but still. I don't get the same "deathly" feeling from him, more mechanical.

What do you think?
    No shit, dude. Arthas had strong portrayal, went through slow development and was built up to be a Lich King through numerous tragic events and decisions.
    Anduin was literally yeeted by flying girls, caged and then poked with the sword to undeath. Voila, he is a bad guy now.
    What a cheap and lazy way to create some drama and character development.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    The only thing Lich Anduin is missing is squeaky shoes for full comedic effect of 'NOoooo don't laugh im scary villain!"

Quote Originally Posted by Rozz View Post
    Arthas had a lot of build-up across games and novels before he was the Lich King and resurfaced in WotLK. Anduin doesn't have massacres, betrayals, or fan-favorite character 1v1s under his belt. Also, Arthas' inevitable ascension to the Frozen throne felt like just that, while Anduin was just put into purely the puppet aspect of the Lich King's legacy. You can argue Arthas was a puppet as well, but he was still the one who made his own choices at the start.

And I agree with the tone feeling off.
    Arthas also had a personality.
    It became clear that it wasn’t realistic to try to get the audience back to being more hardcore, as it had been in the past. -- Tom Chilton

7+ Year Old Account
    Because he is not meant to be like Arthas. It's clear he is being mind controlled.

10+ Year Old Account

What do you think?
    Arthas story was something that we got to play and experience. Anduins story is just some cutscenes we've seen so far. Total of like 5 minutes. Also what is happening to Anduin is something that we've already seen in Arthas, so there's nothing new.

What do you think?
    Whats your idea? You are better than they are, so lets see.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    I don't think the enslaved Anduin is meant to be horrifying as much as he is meant to be pitied.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rendark View Post
    Because he is not meant to be like Arthas. It's clear he is being mind controlled.
    I thought this was obvious, he even broke lose? Or lost that for a bit while stabbing the archon. Anduin is purely a puppet.. I cant say that of Arthas. The Jailer wasnt even a thing bsck in warcraft 3 frozen throne or in wotlk either. Arthas choose hes path tbh.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Crillam View Post
    Arthas story was something that we got to play and experience. Anduins story is just some cutscenes we've seen so far. Total of like 5 minutes. Also what is happening to Anduin is something that we've already seen in Arthas, so there's nothing new.
    No we havent, simply because the jailer wasnt a thing whan we were current with Arthas. They both walked a different path. Sure making anduin some wanna be alive death knight with a runesword and blond hair that turned grey. I mean I see it to.. but the reality is little different, altho the whole arthas 2.0 is boring I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Maljinwo View Post
    Because they didn't come up with the Jailer shenanigans until 2 years ago, retconning lots of stuff
    This. It's not grounded in Warcraft history so it looks like a cheap knockoff (which it is).

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerovar View Post
    This. It's not grounded in Warcraft history so it looks like a cheap knockoff (which it is).
    What defines "Warcraft history" in this context?
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    I don't think the enslaved Anduin is meant to be horrifying as much as he is meant to be pitied.
    capable of instilling dread into the hearts of Azeroth’s heroes like no creature of the Shadowlands. (c) Blizzard

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alanar View Post
    I thought this was obvious, he even broke lose? Or lost that for a bit while stabbing the archon. Anduin is purely a puppet.. I cant say that of Arthas. The Jailer wasnt even a thing bsck in warcraft 3 frozen throne or in wotlk either. Arthas choose hes path tbh.
    Ya i thought it was obvious too but i guess some people don't see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    What defines "Warcraft history" in this context?
    Something related to the stories we've seen on screen for the last two decades that wasn't made up with no prior mention or foreshadowing?

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerovar View Post
    Something related to the stories we've seen on screen for the last two decades that wasn't made up with no prior mention or foreshadowing?
    That's a pretty limiting context that would seemingly disallow anything new or unique in WoW's narrative - including things like the Old Gods, the Naaru, Worgen, and a host of other things introduced to WoW without antecedent.

7+ Year Old Account
    That's because Anduin IS a puppet and Arthas a master of rot and fear.

He's no meant to be more horrifying than Arthas, that isn't anyones intention.

Formerly known as Arafal

He doesn't have a lot of background yet to be honest. I think it's a pretty abrupt change and we just haven't had the character development to follow on with yet.