Page 61 of 76 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    It's not my job to convince you my dude, you can do whatever you like. I just laid down my cards and tried to explain why crypto and blockchain are the future, and paper money that goes BRRR as it's printed to support a dying public sector or bail out failed companies is literally floppy disk tier.
    You don't have to convince me of anything. Been decades of people telling us the next best thing to invest in. Sometimes they are right, most times they are not.

But I will continue to call you out on bullshit logic.

Who knows maybe you'll be right but damn risky the way i forget passwords to put my money in something i can't get back even with all the proof and ID's in the world.

Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

It's not my job to convince you my dude, you can do whatever you like. I just laid down my cards and tried to explain why crypto and blockchain are the future, and paper money that goes BRRR as it's printed to support a dying public sector or bail out failed companies is literally floppy disk tier.
    So which one of the many cryptos is the future exactly and which ones will be the CompuServe, Prodigy, or AOL?

And you do understand that if society really did collapse like you parrot because of hyperinflation or whatever your crypto would end up just as worthless after right?

Your crypto would the same as credit cards when you can no longer afford the energy prices and the power goes out as Texans found out this week. So basically crypto depends on a stable society with cheap power to even exist as it's completely digital which is counter to the fear-mongering you throw out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    You don't have to convince me of anything. Been decades of people telling us the next best thing to invest in. Sometimes they are right, most times they are not.

But I will continue to call you out on bullshit logic.

Who knows maybe you'll be right but damn risky the way i forget passwords to put my money in something i can't get back even with all the proof and ID's in the world.

It's fine dude, I'll just keep earning a few extra thousand a day as my various cryptos continue to moon (hellooo ADA today and BNB yesterday).

I'll share my logic. I figure, the market cap is still small in comparison to other markets, the applications are still in their infancy but the promise for growth is there and it's gonna be gigantic if the stars align, and they just might. I'm not a dumb money investor, I'm not ruling it might NOT go down, but right now there is so much buying pressure that the possible bubble burst or market correction won't be that significant or long-lived. BTC had a gigantic bullrun from November to January and consolidated for 20% afterwards, that lasted a week then went back up again to daily all time highs, small consolidation, all time highs, rinse and repeat. My strategy was to pick up undervalued, promising coins like ADA, DOT, AVAX etc during the BTC dominance period and just wait for a possible/probable 10-50x during an altcoin period in the summer. Some already 8x'd and are still going hard (if I had gotten a month earlier I might have 20x'd in just 2 months now). Dream scenario is, they are able to flip Ethereum in the long term, as Eth v2.0 is still a long ways away, then I'll be filthy fucking rich. It would be dumb not to play that, heck I don't even need to throw money I actually need into it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by matt4pack View Post
    So which one of the many cryptos is the future exactly and which ones will be the CompuServe, Prodigy, or AOL?

And you do understand that if society really did collapse like you parrot because of hyperinflation or whatever your crypto would end up just as worthless after right?

Your crypto would the same as credit cards when you can no longer afford the energy prices and the power goes out as Texans found out this week. So basically crypto depends on a stable society with cheap power to even exist as it's completely digital which is counter to the fear-mongering you throw out.
    I'm not fear mongering, I am merely stating that fiat is flat out ancient technology at this point. It's literally the comparison of analog vs digital.
    Last edited by hellhamster; 2021-02-20 at 09:44 PM.

It's fine dude, I'll just keep earning a few extra thousand a day as my various cryptos continue to moon (hellooo ADA today and BNB yesterday).

Glad you are making money i just hope you are not diamond hands and pull a GME. Learn from DFV and take profits and play with the house's money

I'll stick with stocks with assets, growth, earnings, etc etc. sure its boring and I might only be up 22% in the past year but hey...zzzzz's right?
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

10+ Year Old Account
    Glad you are making money i just hope you are not diamond hands and pull a GME. Learn from DFV and take profits and play with the house's money

I'll stick with stocks with assets, growth, earnings, etc etc. sure its boring and I might only be up 22% in the past year but hey...zzzzz's right?
    I have a solid exit strategy based on what is gonna happen the next couple months.

I used to be you, I didn't wanna enter crypto for various reasons like the ones you mentioned, plus a buddy talked me out of it because he bought on a bitcoin high before a crash and he panic sold. I should have at least done some better research then though.

Stock market here is just fucking slow and boring. I made like 30% on one of my stocks after 8 months and 3-10% on some others. That was DURING the big market crash of last year when prices were at bargain. I could have made much more if I had waited for the market to go to the old levels again, but it's just taking too damn long. The crypto market is just on a whole other level, you just gotta play your cards right. Never FOMO, always do proper research, never opt any amount that is bigger than 3 digits on shitcoins, and learn about specific crypto market things like btc/altcoin market cap correlation each season etc.
    Last edited by hellhamster; 2021-02-20 at 10:07 PM.

DFV the madman bought 50k more shares in GME the day of the hearing LMFAO

- - - Updated - - -

Nope it was a bunch of political old people making total dicks of themselves.

Basically it was everything that was already known and above board. No surprises.

WSB spunked their load when DFV first spoke, it was douche chilly the reaction as embarrassing as their behavior since this whole thing exploded.
    GME spiked then tanked to under 40 from 48. a lot of WSB monkey's jumped in when he said he would buy and lost over 10% in a quick 20 minutes.

DFV lawyered up said one or two cool things and stuck to the script to save his own ass. Won't admit he sold all his shit
    Can't blame him since now they are consuming each other and there are multiple class actions suits against DFV.
    you mean DFV doubled his stake LMFAO seems like you are the conspiracy theorist and still shilling LOLOL

Quote Originally Posted by The Oblivion View Post
    DFV the madman bought 50k more shares in GME the day of the hearing LMFAO

You mean DFV doubled his stake LMFAO seems like you are the conspiracy theorist and still shilling LOLOL
    No conspiracy, it was a guess on what he did because he went dark. My guess was wrong, not the first time or the last.

Though he's already cashed out on 11 million so his "stake" is much lower now then its been in the past (half the options he used to have).
    He doubled the amount of shares he is holding but reduced his overall holdings substantially based on his most recent screen shot.

He's smart to take that much out in profits while playing with the "house's" money. Its great optics for him to continue to be the "hero" while not really losing that for which he can afford to lose.
    Many people at WSB should learn this lesson.

Shilling? Do you even know what that word means kiddo?

Not exactly a mad man spending 2 million of the 13 million in profit.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Investing in a stock market is a good decision or bad? anyone suggest to me and help me out to invest in the stock market, give me any advice or share your experience.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1098 View Post
    Investing in a stock market is a good decision or bad? anyone suggest to me and help me out to invest in the stock market, give me any advice or share your experience.
    Tip 1: never invest money you may need, always spend money you will never feel emotionally attached to
    Tip 2: do your own research before buying
    Tip 3: never FOMO (fear of missing out), this means never chase green candles, you are probably too late to buy and it's probably downhill from there
    Tip 4: buy low sell high, buy on dips unless it's a company/commodity on the brink of collapse, sell the news if they are far in between and it's a good point to sell
    Tip 5: never get emotionally attached to an investment
    Tip 6: have a good exit strategy, never expect something to go up forever
    Tip 7: diversify, but never overextend or you may lose track of stuff
    Tip 8: learn about different markets and types of investments, market cycles, dividents etc, spend money on a book/investment course
    Tip 9: spend time to learn patterns, most of the market is pretty much astrology and technical analysis can often be interpreted as "meme lines", but there are valuable things to be learned
    Tip 10: spend more money on sure things with low return of investment than volatile things with high ROI. And for the love of God, never leverage unless you're a professional investor.
    Last edited by hellhamster; 2021-02-22 at 11:31 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1098 View Post
    My advice is don’t, you’re better off getting into astrology since it’s more fun and carries less financial risk, lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

I have a solid exit strategy based on what is gonna happen the next couple months.

I used to be you, I didn't wanna enter crypto for various reasons like the ones you mentioned, plus a buddy talked me out of it because he bought on a bitcoin high before a crash and he panic sold. I should have at least done some better research then though.

Stock market here is just fucking slow and boring. I made like 30% on one of my stocks after 8 months and 3-10% on some others. That was DURING the big market crash of last year when prices were at bargain. I could have made much more if I had waited for the market to go to the old levels again, but it's just taking too damn long. The crypto market is just on a whole other level, you just gotta play your cards right. Never FOMO, always do proper research, never opt any amount that is bigger than 3 digits on shitcoins, and learn about specific crypto market things like btc/altcoin market cap correlation each season etc.
    The problem with crypto is the fact that until it stabilizes, businesses generally won't want to deal with it. They don't want to see their product go up in value 50% one day then lose another 10% the next. One thing businesses like is stability which crypto is not. I do agree that blockchain is something to invest in for various reasons, however crypto is becoming what the tulip was in 1600. Also, you still need to convert any crypto to local currency(regardless of what it is) to do anything in an area. That is a simple fact of life and no government will let go of that. I mean, you can barter anything for anything as value is relative to the person wanting it.

Answer me this, what is crypto backed by? I'm not talking about blockchain but crypto. What value does crypto have over any other currency? What is different about it that separates it from the dollar(other then a finite amount can be made)? What can I buy with 1 Bitcoin(or sub any other crypto)? Don't convert it to a local currency, just tell me what I can get for 1 Bitcoin right now in a store. I know what I can get for 1 dollar, 1 yen, 1 ruble, 1 english sterling pound or the like. It is the same question I ask gold bugs when they go on about gold. What can I buy with 1 unit of gold? Nobody can answer me that.

The funny thing is if Bitcoin were a currency, there would be hyper deflation as the value of it goes up. Also, when the final bitcoin is mined, if it became a currency, how would a society deal with additional people entering it? I'm not talking about using another crypto to supplement it. I'm talking about, much like gold, if you ran out of making new currency, how would you deal with additional people entering it as they would now be at a disadvantage right from the start. How would you handle people who hoard it and prevent anyone else from acquiring any Bitcoin? Would you force them to give up some or cause trade to stifle because of it? Once again, I never get an answer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gondrin View Post
    The problem with crypto is the fact that until it stabilizes, businesses generally won't want to deal with it. They don't want to see their product go up in value 50% one day then lose another 10% the next. One thing businesses like is stability which crypto is not. I do agree that blockchain is something to invest in for various reasons, however crypto is becoming what the tulip was in 1600. Also, you still need to convert any crypto to local currency(regardless of what it is) to do anything in an area. That is a simple fact of life and no government will let go of that. I mean, you can barter anything for anything as value is relative to the person wanting it.

Answer me this, what is crypto backed by? I'm not talking about blockchain but crypto. What value does crypto have over any other currency? What is different about it that separates it from the dollar(other then a finite amount can be made)? What can I buy with 1 Bitcoin(or sub any other crypto)? Don't convert it to a local currency, just tell me what I can get for 1 Bitcoin right now in a store. I know what I can get for 1 dollar, 1 yen, 1 ruble, 1 english sterling pound or the like. It is the same question I ask gold bugs when they go on about gold. What can I buy with 1 unit of gold? Nobody can answer me that.

The funny thing is if Bitcoin were a currency, there would be hyper deflation as the value of it goes up. Also, when the final bitcoin is mined, if it became a currency, how would a society deal with additional people entering it? I'm not talking about using another crypto to supplement it. I'm talking about, much like gold, if you ran out of making new currency, how would you deal with additional people entering it as they would now be at a disadvantage right from the start. How would you handle people who hoard it and prevent anyone else from acquiring any Bitcoin? Would you force them to give up some or cause trade to stifle because of it? Once again, I never get an answer.
    Cryptocurrency is still in its infancy, there are myriads of problems with it as you so accurately mentioned already, no one is denying that. They are all easily solvable though once mass adoption becomes a certainty. For example volatility of bitcoin in the early stages can be solved by tethering it to a stablecoin.

It has become glaringly obvious since the big housing crash over a decade ago that the world requires a currency that is decentralised for one, this means no government or body is able to control supply and do whatever they want, while regular people like you and me are left with the check. You may have noticed already that purchasing power is lowered every year, while our salary has remained mostly the same. A finite supply is a partly solution to this problem. We used to spend fiat money that was backed by something tangible, like gold, nowadays that value is attributed to what each government says it is. Cryptocurrency is not backed by a commodity as of right now, neither is fiat, but by its ability to be a unique number in the blockchain. It's like pokemon cards, inherently worthless, but can be quite expensive depending on the value we perceive them to have.

Secondly, the use of intermediaries that force tariffs on top of transactions is becoming increasingly more expensive. We are at a point where banks, through storage of your money into an account, is giving you negative interest, and this is very bad.

I'm from a country that has experienced those problems first hand more than most other countries. I have nothing against the idea of fiat, but its current implementation is nothing short of a prelude to armageddon.
    Last edited by hellhamster; 2021-02-22 at 03:21 PM.

The problem with crypto is the fact that until it stabilizes, businesses generally won't want to deal with it. They don't want to see their product go up in value 50% one day then lose another 10% the next. One thing businesses like is stability which crypto is not. I do agree that blockchain is something to invest in for various reasons, however crypto is becoming what the tulip was in 1600....Once again, I never get an answer.
    You "never get an answer" because you are quite a stupid person, and it would take a month to get you to the level where you would understand what you think is BS IF you were actually to try and educate yourself in the first place. Asking questions like "what is crypto backed by?" marks you out as this monumental fucktard with a whole host of dumb preconceptions about finance which individually take some considerable time to correct. Since these preconceptions are likely to be reinforced by vacous talking heads on finance tv that is a waste of time.

Bitcoin is a system which allows people anywhere in the world to exchange currency without a 3rd party intermediary. That is its value. Start there and forget all the other crap you wrote. Then you might actually develop a vague understanding of the issue.

10+ Year Old Account

answers are out there and all your questions have an answer; here's one: bitcoin's decimals can keep going indefinitely, if needed. currently there's 8 decimals, but if the world population let's say x10, then one decimal can be added, which will allow more people to use it without decreasing the value of 1 bitcoin. you get the idea
    Last edited by Cæli; 2021-02-22 at 10:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cæli View Post
    answers are out there and all your questions have an answer; here's one: bitcoin's decimals can keep going indefinitely, if needed. currently there's 8 decimals, but if the world population let's say x10, then one decimal can be added, which will allow more people to use it without decreasing the value of 1 bitcoin. you get the idea
    lol can you imagine the ads now?

New Nvidia 12000xt video card only .0003898137731 bit coins.

Makes it such the simple currency to use and operate with.

Shit i have to figure out a 15% tip on .00008931456782258 bitcoins. Anyone got a abacus??
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

lol can you imagine the ads now?

New Nvidia 12000xt video card only .0003898137731 bit coins.

Makes it such the simple currency to use and operate with.

Shit i have to figure out a 15% tip on .00008931456782258 bitcoins. Anyone got a abacus??
    Hey, much to the chagrin of a great many of our math teachers, we all literally carry a calculator in our pockets everywhere we go!

Though for reals, there are other more immediate and practical limits, like the fact that you have a limit on the number of transactions per second that appears to be <10 from what I can tell (it varies, but estimates are in the single digits). And it takes far longer to clear/complete, apparently up to 10 minutes?

vs. banks/credit cards that can clear thousands of transactions per second without issue and is nearly instant.

I'm from a country that has experienced those problems first hand more than most other countries. I have nothing against the idea of fiat, but its current implementation is nothing short of a prelude to armageddon.
    Yeah so you don't fear monger lol. And when armageddon happens how are you going to access your purely digital currency that relies on cheap energy to exist?

Let's be honest you talk it up so you can make a profit and eventually cashout like all the others.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by matt4pack View Post
    Yeah so you don't fear monger lol. And when armageddon happens how are you going to access your purely digital currency that relies on cheap energy to exist?

Let's be honest you talk it up so you can make a profit and eventually cashout like all the others.
    I repeat, I've lived through the worst crisis this country has had since the second World War, I've gone from a student with prospects receiving one job offer after the other after graduation to an unemployed bum living with my parents for years until I decided to migrate to West Europe. I've seen all my friends, people with MSc's, Phd's etc, unable to get any job, not even at supermarkets. I left all my friends and family behind. I can guarantee you, seeing someone you knew from kindergarten after decades, sifting through trash will fuck you up.

This was all due to a monetary system that is completely broken in my eyes, which is why I believe in drastic change.

I don't want a repeat.
    Last edited by hellhamster; 2021-02-23 at 09:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cæli View Post
    The problem that I have is there is no way to replace lost Bitcoin(sub any crypto with bitcoin). The problem with any currency that has an inherent hard cap is there is a high barrier to entry for anyone that tries to enter said market to do any trade after a while. It is inherently protectionist and regressive as far as that goes. Also, as long as taxes are a thing(and they will be a thing until society reaches a post scarcity point), you will increasingly have LESS worth as time goes on as you cannot generate more Bitcoin as there will always be a need for societal maintenance unless you want people to do said things for free like patching of roads, fixing of city water lines, garbage collection and that mess as those things are what taxes pay for.

- - - Updated - - -

I repeat, I've lived through the worst crisis this country has had since the second World War, I've gone from a student with prospects receiving one job offer after the other after graduation to an unemployed bum living with my parents for years until I decided to migrate to West Europe. I've seen all my friends, people with MSc's, Phd's etc, unable to get any job, not even at supermarkets. I left all my friends and family behind. I can guarantee you, seeing someone you knew from kindergarten after decades, sifting through trash will fuck you up.

This was all due to a monetary system that is completely broken in my eyes, which is why I believe in drastic change.

I don't want a repeat.
    Honestly, crypto won't solve the underlying problems there. It would only exacerbate that problems at hand as there would be no way to increase supply. It would have to be taken from someone else forcibly in order to use for something else. You can change the monetary system all you want, and many countries do that over their existence, but unless you fix the underlying problems(tax evasion causing the government to not be able to pay back debts accrued), all you are doing is shifting from one set of problems to another.

10+ Year Old Account
    The problem that I have is there is no way to replace lost Bitcoin(sub any crypto with bitcoin). The problem with any currency that has an inherent hard cap is there is a high barrier to entry for anyone that tries to enter said market to do any trade after a while. It is inherently protectionist and regressive as far as that goes. Also, as long as taxes are a thing(and they will be a thing until society reaches a post scarcity point), you will increasingly have LESS worth as time goes on as you cannot generate more Bitcoin as there will always be a need for societal maintenance unless you want people to do said things for free like patching of roads, fixing of city water lines, garbage collection and that mess as those things are what taxes pay for.
    I don't see how not replacing lost bitcoin is a problem. in many cases you can never really determine what's "lost" vs what's kept anyway.
    there is no big barrier of entry, you can buy or work for bitcoin cents. but right now it's not really suitable to be a currency, maybe if it gets more stable one day. it can be used as a currency however, but right now most people on the west have a preferable alternative for day to day uses.

as for taxes, well, this concept is foreign to bitcoin itself, however it changes nothing on the tax policy of a country (or on your personal wealth); if you have to pay a tax, you shall pay a tax regardless of accumulating wealth through dollar, euro, gold, bitcoin, at least that's how I see it. if you decide not to pay taxes, you will face legal consequences, regardless if your money is in dollar, bitcoin or whatever. I believe taxes will always have to be mainly paid with the national currency. money is an important factor of a local economy, and part of its culture too.

not being able to generate more bitcoin is a strength for everyone to me: assuming this project succeeds, not only it makes the system more fair, but creating money is devaluing the impacted currency which pushes for consumption, which is a disaster in terms of waste; with bitcoin existing in parallel, you have an incentive to think more before spending, lowering demand, lowering production, lowering waste. it also allows people to save, and even get a bit more "wealth" over time by doing so. naturally if you own an asset that appreciates in value, and can't be created out of thin air, there will no longer be any perpetual debt issues. we saw that the current system isn't sustainable, debts can't be paid back, that's because the system is flawed, because we humans are flawed, we don't pay debts as we should and it won't change anytime soon. our current system is an inflationary spiral that needs to be reimagined.

so from a societal point of view, with all the automation happening, that looks like a fairly sane starting point for a new and fair economy. the solution isn't to seek more taxes, it's to seek less taxes.