Page 24 of 29 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    "Fake snow? Conspiracy theory claims Texas weather ‘government-generated’"

Oh my lord, USA the gift that keeps on giving, even when people are freezing to death, some people still think its a hoax to some extent.

The US really need to sort this shit out, i cant tell if these people are result of poor education, poor parenting or untreated mental issues, or combo of all 3.
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

Quote Originally Posted by Frolk View Post
    Oh my lord, USA the gift that keeps on giving, even when people are freezing to death, some people still think its a hoax to some extent.
    For some of these folks, reality is a conspiracy.

I'd honestly forgotten that this was a long-running "conspiracy theory" amongst literal idiots that don't know how snow fuckin works.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    what's next rainbows caused by rain is proof of ....something....
    The gays control the weather, and rainbows are their Bat Signal to convert your children. And frogs.
    Need Roll - 1 for [Bright Pink Imbued Mageweave Banana-Hammock] by Ayirasi

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/inve...power-outages/

Granted I'm not sure what he could do, but Texas AG Ken Paxton peaced out for a pre-planned meeting in Utah last week. And took his wife with him.

It's incredible to me that the elected leaders from Texas seem to largely be fleeing the state while politicians currently not in a job or politicians from literal other states and different political parties are stepping up to help arrange and deliver aide and support for people affected by the loss of power/water.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    That would be the customers.

But I think you and I agree overall. If this was a tag-team screw the customer, I'm more htan happy with both the electric suppliers who did the gouging, and the politicians who allowed/encouarged it, both getting their karma.

Oh, and if it turns out the electric companies literally ran out of power and could not get it from any other source -- for example, if the power cables across state lines were cut -- and needed money else go out of business (see other recent posts) then they should hae said so publicly rather than just charge people $17,000. They either didn't do so at all (guilty) or did so behind the scenes (I'd like to know why).
    its crazy that gouging laws apply to a gas station and hotel but not energy companies
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    its crazy that gouging laws apply to a gas station and hotel but not energy companies
    Well as "everyone" has been saying, apparently they did...until this happened. Then they got the go-ahead to gouge customers instead of, you know, getting a Texas taxpayer bailout.

Or, you know, a federal bailout. Which is on the way already.

By the way, the next time your Redneck Uncle Jeeter says something about "why should I pay for someone else's student loan" ask "I dunno, why should I pay to keep Texas from freezing over when they left the national power grid? I don't remember signing a contract to keep Texas' power grid working."

The fake snow is great. "It didn't melt, it just got harder." Yeah, no shit, that's what happens when snow partially melts and refreezes. It's called ice. Used to do that shit for snowball fights with my brothers.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelinrah View Post
    The fake snow is great. "It didn't melt, it just got harder." Yeah, no shit, that's what happens when snow partially melts and refreezes. It's called ice. Used to do that shit for snowball fights with my brothers.
    Give these folks a break, man. They're just encountering something they have no experience with, so when it doesn't behave exactly like they think it should then that's proof that there's something more nefarious going on!

Nobody show them the corn starch/water mixture that remains a liquid but gets firm when you apply pressure to it, allowing you to run over it without sinking. They'll think this is the fulfillment of some kind of prophecy or something.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Give these folks a break, man. They're just encountering something they have no experience with, so when it doesn't behave exactly like they think it should then that's proof that there's something more nefarious going on!

Nobody show them the corn starch/water mixture that remains a liquid but gets firm when you apply pressure to it, allowing you to run over it without sinking. They'll think this is the fulfillment of some kind of prophecy or something.
    How can non-Newtonian fluids be real if Newton wasn't real? Fake News! Benghazi! Stop the Steelers!

Quote Originally Posted by Lynarii View Post
    How can non-Newtonian fluids be real if Newton wasn't real?
    Get outta here, Jayden Smith.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Get outta here, Jayden Smith.
    In all seriousness though back on topic, people need to not get distracted and focus their ire on the actual people responsible for failing Texas, which is the Texas government. It is tempting to look at the power providers or the power generating companies and talk about how they failed, but I think that is a little bit unfair really. It's very easy to say that the power companies should have winterized their stuff, or charged less, or any number of things... but in a free market capitalist society a company that doesn't maximize profits and minimize spending doesn't stay in business long. That's the whole point of government regulations in the first place, without them to force minimum standards, any company that tries to do the 'right' thing gets out-competed by an unethical company that doesn't care how much damage they do. The Texas government set up a system that rewards cutting corners and cash grabs, and punishes quality, forward planning, and backup redundancy (all of which cost money). They are first and foremost to blame for the citizens reaping what they have sown.

I wish their stupidity was so great it would prevent them from sharing it with the world.
    I literally just said something similar to this to my sister like 30 minutes ago. If only these people were dumb enough to not be able to post it online.

Just ridiculous.

In all seriousness though back on topic, people need to not get distracted and focus their ire on the actual people responsible for failing Texas, which is the Texas government. It is tempting to look at the power providers or the power generating companies and talk about how they failed, but I think that is a little bit unfair really. It's very easy to say that the power companies should have winterized their stuff, or charged less, or any number of things... but in a free market capitalist society a company that doesn't maximize profits and minimize spending doesn't stay in business long. That's the whole point of government regulations in the first place, without them to force minimum standards, any company that tries to do the 'right' thing gets out-competed by an unethical company that doesn't care how much damage they do. The Texas government set up a system that rewards cutting corners and cash grabs, and punishes quality, forward planning, and backup redundancy (all of which cost money). They are first and foremost to blame for the citizens reaping what they have sown.
    Just to add info. TX is not completely isolated from other grids It has three ties to Mexico. Which allowed it to import power from Mexico during the 2011 rolling blackout. Unfortunately, this time Mexico had its own rolling blackout because of LNG shortage. It has two ties through Arkansas to the eastern grid. Unfortunately, the eastern grid was experiencing its own rolling blackout also. There is a possible sixth interconnection project, in Rusk County, which is being studied, and another ambitious proposal, called Tres Amigas, would link the three big U.S. grids together in New Mexico, though Texas' top utility regulator has shown little enthusiasm for participating. Maybe they'll change their mind after this. Or maybe not.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    Just to add info. TX is not completely isolated from other grids It has three ties to Mexico. Which allowed it to import power from Mexico during the 2011 rolling blackout. Unfortunately, this time Mexico had its own rolling blackout because of LNG shortage. It has two ties through Arkansas to the eastern grid. Unfortunately, the eastern grid was experiencing its own rolling blackout also. There is a possible sixth interconnection project, in Rusk County, which is being studied, and another ambitious proposal, called Tres Amigas, would link the three big U.S. grids together in New Mexico, though Texas' top utility regulator has shown little enthusiasm for participating. Maybe they'll change their mind after this. Or maybe not.
    there's a better chance of them having riots and ripping down the evil windmills that cause cancer and caused the blackouts!!

They better pass on a cell phone upgrade this year and get themselves some generators for the future
    and not just texas....
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayirasi View Post
    The gays control the weather, and rainbows are their Bat Signal to convert your children. And frogs.
    Time to drag this golden oldie out.

- - - Updated - - -

Comrade Lynarii, bolded is feature of glorious capitalist society!
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

Seeing the news about the 17k electric bills and heard that the power companies have already made more money than they normally do for a year. So not only did they fail to prepare for this weather because there was no capitalistic incentive at the time to do so, but they are also being finically rewarded for failing to prepare and plunging Texas into blackouts...

Any chance there's some good news of people in Texas actually moving to fix their broken system?

Has it at least warmed up in Texas yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/23/inves...ftc/index.html

And let the investigations begin! Feds are looking into both market manipulation and a separate one into the threat of climate change on electric reliability. I imagine there will be many more investigations once things settle down and folks start getting power/water back, but it's gonna be a long journey.

Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    Seeing the news about the 17k electric bills and heard that the power companies have already made more money than they normally do for a year. So not only did they fail to prepare for this weather because there was no capitalistic incentive at the time to do so, but they are also being finically rewarded for failing to prepare and plunging Texas into blackouts...

Any chance there's some good news of people in Texas actually moving to fix their broken system?
    well it depends on what part the "power company" is part of.

On the generation side if they were able to stay online sure. But half of them were off line so they will lose $.

Transmission, nope same rates to transmit. they will end up losing because of cost to repair the transmission lines.

Third party Suppliers/brokers, if they too were able to continue to supply they would have benefitted the most.

Service side, nope standard rates already set.

Also all depends on the contact chosen by customers. I find it hard to believe that many people were on variable contracts.
    Most of this "overbilling' will be between companies v companies instead of vs customers.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    The people that are receiving high bills are because they chose variable rate plans that fluctuate with the market. Luckily, most have a fixed rate plan, but there are certain costs that will be transferred to them regardless. The company has shut down the part of their website that explains that and shows you your usage, so many people are just waiting for their next months bill to see how high it will be.
    It is my understanding that TX electric customers on contracts are okay for now. Unless there are weasel clauses in those contracts. The electrical providers are financially in the hole and may have liquidity problem. Some already folded and their customers transferred to the so called Provider of the Last Resort. On the other hand, I understand that transmission and generating companies made out like bandits.

Here is a bit of an irony.

Texas attributes rapid power restoration to solar power

However, the Texas grid operator said Thursday that the rapid restoration of power service that began Wednesday afternoon was due to solar power.

“We had a lot of solar generation on the line,” Dan Woodfin, director of systems operations for the Electrical Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT), told reporters. “When solar generation was online, we started trying to recover much of the charge.”

Turned out solar did not fail during the snow storm. Unfortunately, TX does not have enough solar and no battery storage facilities.

At our elevation, each year we do get probably about a week's worth of snow fall of anywhere between 1 - 4 feet. So back when I did the research for our solar installation, I ran into a study performed by some Canadian think thank on the efficiency of solar panels in cold weather regions. I’ll link it later tonight. Too lazy to look it up now. Their three key findings.

• Solar panels performed best when installed at a pitch equal to the site latitude. Houston is 30 degree. Which coincidentally is the minimum roof pitch to reduce snow build up in cold region. The ten inches that fell in TX were not enough to cover a solar panel installed at 30 degree pitch. My daughter solar panels were clear and continued to generate power throughout the snow storm.
    • The sun reflection off the snow amplify the power generation of the solar panels. The increased efficiency due to the cold weather (between 0.3 to 0.5% increase for every one degree Celcius below 25 degree Celcius) also helped.
    • Contrary to popular belief, non-maintained solar panels (left for the snow to build up) still generate power. Around 15% loss of power generation for panels installed at 25 degree pitch and less than 5% for panels installed at 45 degree pitch, and less than 2% for panels installed at 53 degree pitch (the latitude of the place where they did the experiment in Canada).
    Last edited by Rasulis; 2021-02-23 at 08:53 PM.