Poll: What should happen to classic after BC?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    they will probably do market research to see if cataclysm classic is worth it.

i'm also strongly expecting some sort of seasons or periodic content for the classic games (that's after all a big part of what kept private servers going: server gets shut down, the "new season" starts on the next.)

Quote Originally Posted by Typrax View Post
    What I'd like to see:

I would like to see classic servers eventually progress into Wotlk, and then have a new timeline open after that. A brand new "classic" expansion with new content, gear, mounts, story, etc... But with the same classic systems (ie, no group finder, and keep the old talent system). Maybe we could redeem Arthas instead of kill him?

What do you think?
    If they change it up too much then they end up running two of the same game in competition with each other. Right now it's the same game just one lagging behind the other. That could be good and that could be bad for both versions.

I wish they would add transmog to classic versions and a few quality of life things like mass looting.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbro View Post
    This is not happening at all, new resources and ideas = retail, dont be one of those dumbos asking for classic+.
    On the contrary, the truly dumb thing is thinking people won't eventually want more after Wotlk has run its course.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthMuffin View Post
    I think that WotLK is a given. What happens afterwards is up in the air. I don't see them doing Classic+ and, for good or ill, Cata remains a controversial expansion that would likely not generate as much nostalgia from most players. I think it's safe to expect them rolling new progression realms and keep looping through Classic-TBC-WotLK, perhaps with shorter phases.
    Cata is also the start of the "running away from Classic systems" Expansions. Wrath is the clear demarcation/end-point of the systems that represent the "Classic" take on WoW - classes still had all of their spells (other than talents) regardless of spec, the old talent trees, the old take on professions (its OK for them to provide BiS gear sometimes, and be useful), etc.

There is a clear progression and refinement of the same design ideals from Vanilla > Wrath. That all falls apart almost immediately in Cata. Specs started to lose/gain spells just by choosing a spec (making them a lot more like subclasses than specs of the same class), the new Talent system was introduced (it was being worked on before Cata launched, they just knew they couldn't get it out in time), Professions became trash, deep slide into removing the social aspects of the game (LK started it but you were still at least limited to your Battlegroup with group finder) in favor of Queuecraft.

So I think there's a definite end-point for "Classic" servers. Anything past that, and you're moving into the point when WoW really became an entirely different game.

Now, will they potentially still do progressive servers after that? Yeah, potentially, but i think they wont choose to use the "Classic" branding.

- - - Updated - - -

On the contrary, the truly dumb thing is thinking people won't eventually want more after Wotlk has run its course.
    Sure, but they aren't going to waste money developing an alternate timeline. Theyll just release Cata, Mists, WoD, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    Cata is also the start of the "running away from Classic systems" Expansions. Wrath is the clear demarcation/end-point of the systems that represent the "Classic" take on WoW - classes still had all of their spells (other than talents) regardless of spec, the old talent trees, the old take on professions (its OK for them to provide BiS gear sometimes, and be useful), etc.

There is a clear progression and refinement of the same design ideals from Vanilla > Wrath. That all falls apart almost immediately in Cata. Specs started to lose/gain spells just by choosing a spec (making them a lot more like subclasses than specs of the same class), the new Talent system was introduced (it was being worked on before Cata launched, they just knew they couldn't get it out in time), Professions became trash, deep slide into removing the social aspects of the game (LK started it but you were still at least limited to your Battlegroup with group finder) in favor of Queuecraft.

So I think there's a definite end-point for "Classic" servers. Anything past that, and you're moving into the point when WoW really became an entirely different game.

Now, will they potentially still do progressive servers after that? Yeah, potentially, but i think they wont choose to use the "Classic" branding.

- - - Updated - - -

Sure, but they aren't going to waste money developing an alternate timeline. Theyll just release Cata, Mists, WoD, etc.
    I agree, though let's not forget that the dungeon finder did come out during WotLK (patch 3.3). Depending on which patch they decide to run a theoretical Classic WotLK on, we can expect heated discussions on this topic.

I agree, though let's not forget that the dungeon finder did come out during WotLK (patch 3.3). Depending on which patch they decide to run a theoretical Classic WotLK on, we can expect heated discussions on this topic.
    There is no way group finder will be in Wotlk Classic. Even if they do release the Cata pre-patch (I doubt they will), it will simply not include anything that made the game "unclassic". It would also be super weird not having group finder for almost the entirety of the expansion content, and then suddenly having it at the end when clearly the game will not actually move into Cata content.

There is no way group finder will be in Wotlk Classic. Even if they do release the Cata pre-patch (I doubt they will), it will simply not include anything that made the game "unclassic". It would also be super weird not having group finder for almost the entirety of the expansion content, and then suddenly having it at the end when clearly the game will not actually move into Cata content.
    3.3 wasn't the Cata prepatch though, it was 100% a WotLK patch (Icecrown raid and 5-mans). I personally don't think they would go as far as including it for the reasons you listed, but that woud amount to essentially removing a genuine WotLK feature from the game.

Quote Originally Posted by unbound View Post
    We'll likely see Wrath.

However, they will never branch from it...and, if they do, it will be a disaster for those that appreciate the design of BC/Wrath. Blizz has no intention of putting that level of effort into such an expansion. Very few who enjoy Classic/BC/Wrath are fans of Retail...and nobody wants to see Wrath continue with the "Go Go Go" mentality of Retail (you already have Retails for meaningless grinding).
    I think you'll find the gogo mentality hit mainstream in WotLK. That's when wow was at or close to the peak for subs and toxicity. My worst experience outside of WotLK for toxicity was private servers for WotLK.

As per OP. You suggest branching off except for no queueing systems? Maybe that could work but it would make the badge system a lot harder and that's what a lot of people like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

3.3 wasn't the Cata prepatch though, it was 100% a WotLK patch (Icecrown raid and 5-mans). I personally don't think they would go as far as including it for the reasons you listed, but that woud amount to essentially removing a genuine WotLK feature from the game.
    Ah whoops, I didn't remember it right then.

Yes but in LK it was restricted to the same group of servers PvP had been using since Classic ("Battlegroups") so it while it did remove SOME of the social aspects, for those of us who PvPed and were used to seeing people from (and talking to) the other 7 servers in the Battlegroup, it wasn't that big of a deal.

While your rep on your Battlegroup wasn't as important as your strictly on-server rep, it was still a thing.

If they had always kept Group Finder tied to Battlegroups (and kept PvP Battlegroups a real thing) instead of what you have now (which is basically a giant meta-server) i think there'd have been a lot less of an issue, and LK-Classic will be "effectively" capped at "Battlegroup" levels of players since there wont exactly be 300 servers merged into the pool.

Honestly, the old school Battlegroups should probably have just been turned into single servers (like, the old "Vengeance" Battlegroup should have just had all of those servers merged into "Vengeance" when the tech became possible to do so without crippling performance) and left alone after that.

But hindsight is golden.

Getting back on track, i dont think the LK Group Finder was really that bad, as all it did was include the pool of players that PvPers had been interacting with since Vanilla. And itll be generally the same in LK-Classic. Yeah itll be service-wide, but service-wide isnt going to be a lot more players than were in a LK-era pool anyway.

Hate me all you like, I want cataclysm 'classic'

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    I generally agree but with a retrospective people may be better at picking out what was fun about each expansion and not get dragged down by the more crappy aspects.

Now the AP grind thing, that is like the unskippable cut scene of mmos. Really gonna torpedo replayability.
    I'm not saying there aren't fans or anything...but the fond memories seem to dissipate a lot after WotLK, me personally the only Classic I'm really interested in is WotLK.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Phayde View Post
    Stop at Wrath, it forms the main WoW trilogy. I guess you could then do fresh servers and start the journey all over again. I can't see them adding anything new though.
    My guess is they will have Classic era servers for the first 3 expansions then do cyclical servers that keep resetting progression.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Phayde View Post
    Stop at Wrath, it forms the main WoW trilogy. I guess you could then do fresh servers and start the journey all over again. I can't see them adding anything new though.
    Sounds about right. I don't see them continuing on too many expansions for the Classic series release unless they see the demand. Too much server bloat for those locked into each timeline. Wrath started some core mechanics changes (stat trim, hybrid power conversion) and Cata+ took them to new rights. MoP and such wouldn't feel that different from current retail tbh. There was the challenge mode speed runs, the similar feel of raid fights, crafting becomes obsolete, etc.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Wrath ends the Classic trilogy I bet.
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

Given that Cata and MOP had the best pvp arena and rbgs, would be a shame to not have Classic of those times.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorrowseer View Post
    Hate me all you like, I want cataclysm 'classic'
    I still have some fond memories of cata. Mostly PvP'ing with my buddy(pocket rogues! When you absolutely positively want them to fuck off your healing ass.) and actually getting recognized by other players a few times.
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening

They will stop at wotlk. Wonder how they Will do achievements this time around tho.

10+ Year Old Account
    WOTLK classic happens.

The real question isn't whether they'll do the expansion after TBC too, it's whether they think there's any interest in a repeat of Cataclysm, or whether they'll spin it off in an alternate universe timeline after that with a new expansion to classic instead, or simply just stop after WOTLK.

15+ Year Old Account
    LK classic. Another guaranteed success. The real questions is: what happens after classic LK? I'd be surprised if many people wanted to play crap like Cata or WoD gain.