Thread: "Pay to win"

Page 22 of 50 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I agree. A boost is definitely not pay to win.

Quote Originally Posted by Clozer View Post
    Buying a level boost does not increase player's power?

Since you start dismantling your own arguments, I'll soon stop here.
    Without properly position a level boost inside the game we’re talking about, of course a level boost increase the character’s power.

But if we look at what THIS specific boost does, it really does not seem so tragic to me. You can use it only one time and apply it to only one char of your choice, plus it takes you at the BEGINNING of the content you will use it for, it also gives you no professions and only the standard level 40 mount that everyone would have anyways, I don’t get all the drama. The blues you’ll been given will be replaced after a couple of levels max into Hellfire Peninsula.

The only real advantage you get is skipping the useless leveling in the Vanilla zones. It’s a big time saving but it has nothing to do with “player power”.

Quote Originally Posted by chiddie View Post
    Without properly position a level boost inside the game we’re talking about, of course a level boost increase the character’s power.

But if we look at what THIS specific boost does, it really does not seem so tragic to me. You can use it only one time and apply it to only one char of your choice, plus it takes you at the BEGINNING of the content you will use it for, it also gives you no professions and only the standard level 40 mount that everyone would have anyways, I don’t get all the drama. The blues you’ll been given will be replaced after a couple of levels max into Hellfire Peninsula.

The only real advantage you get is skipping the useless leveling in the Vanilla zones. It’s a big time saving but it has nothing to do with “player power”.
    So, we cleared the thing that buying a boost is paying real moneys for an in-game advantage. Aka p2w. That was the only point I was trying to make.

"It’s for players who want a way to quickly join their friends in Outland." - https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wo...arts/883607/10

If this was the reason they introduce p2w features, that's just wrong. Instead of making leveling a better experience or just let you skip it for free, they charge you moneys, because why not. This has absolutely nothing to do with "we want you to have a better gaming experience". This is more like: "we want you to have a better gaming experience, so why don't you pay us some moneys and we give you a better game?" This is just bad in every aspect. If you want to skip leveling you scream for a solution to that problem, not for a $$$ character boosting service.

Horrendous design, but look through this thread people are okay with it since they hide it under the "it lets you play with your friends"..

So, we cleared the thing that buying a boost is paying real moneys for an in-game advantage. Aka p2w. That was the only point I was trying to make.

"It’s for players who want a way to quickly join their friends in Outland." - https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wo...arts/883607/10

If this was the reason they introduce p2w features, that's just wrong. Instead of making leveling a better experience or just let you skip it for free, they charge you moneys, because why not. This has absolutely nothing to do with "we want you to have a better gaming experience". This is more like: "we want you to have a better gaming experience, so why don't you pay us some moneys and we give you a better game?" This is just bad in every aspect. If you want to skip leveling you scream for a solution to that problem, not for a $$$ character boosting service.

Horrendous design, but look through this thread people are okay with it since they hide it under the "it lets you play with your friends"..
    Dude, it really needs to be said?

OF COURSE it’s an advantage. We can only discuss about the “magnitude” of the advantage. You save, how much, 200 hours of /played? For me it would me something like 20 real weeks, of course I would use the boost anytime if I was interested in TBC.

Blizzard cannot adjust the leveling speed of past zones, it would not be Classic anymore.

Dude, it really needs to be said?

OF COURSE it’s an advantage. We can only discuss about the “magnitude” of the advantage. You save, how much, 200 hours of /played? For me it would me something like 20 real weeks, of course I would use the boost anytime if I was interested in TBC.

Blizzard cannot adjust the leveling speed of past zones, it would not be Classic anymore.
    The other dude I talked to posted 30 posts saying it's not an advantage. Just read the last 3 pages of this thread. So yes, it obviously had to be said.

The other dude I talked to posted 30 posts saying it's not an advantage. Just read the last 3 pages of this thread. So yes, it obviously had to be said.
    As I said it entirely relies on your idea of advantage. It saves time for sure, there is no doubt.

The “win” part is a little trickier and depends on your idea of what winning means in this case. The user you reply feels there’s no winning because you still have to do all the TBC content like the others, and this is all that matters. I can fully understand this opinion because it’s also mine.

But again, it’s an advantage for sure.

So, we cleared the thing that buying a boost is paying real moneys for an in-game advantage. Aka p2w.
    What in-game advantage are you getting over other players who didn't boost? Literally it does is save you a couple weeks of leveling time. You don't get any items, currency, etc that other players don't have. It just starts you off at the very beginning of TBC content. That's it. That's not an "in-game advantage".
    Last edited by anon5123; 2021-02-25 at 07:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    What in-game advantage are you getting over other players who didn't boost? Literally it does is save you a couple weeks of leveling time. You don't get any items, currency, etc that other players don't have. It just starts you off at the very beginning of TBC content. That's it. That's not an "in-game advantage".
    Dude let’s be honest, skipping 1-58 IS indeed an advantage.

Big or little it is, it’s an advantage indeed. If you want my opinion this is not “winning” by any meaning for what my idea of winning is, but there’s little doubt that it’s an advantage, imho.

And it’s far more than two weeks of leveling unless you play 10 hours a day.

What in-game advantage are you getting over other players who didn't boost? Literally it does is save you a couple weeks of leveling time.
    You asked a question, and then immediately answered it yourself (ignoring the intentional lowball "couple weeks")

you are actualy in pretty big disadvantage to people who copy their char from classic...

Boost is a win for everyone.
    Blizzard, because they get paid.
    Players, because then don't need to spend 1-2 weeks leveling vanilla.
    Players, because thanks to that more people will play, or play alts and realms will live longer.

There are some drawbacks, but it is a very big net gain.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    It's a p2w feature that anyone who wants to be competitive on alliance shaman or horde paladin will have to use, for sure.
    Well you can't instaboost belves or space goats... so...

I disagree, I do think it is a p2w feature.

BUT a welcome one imo. I have a few friends who had little interest in vanilla who want to play TBC and they were pretty hype for this reveal. The "win" you get from it is pretty inconsequential. Looking at how the vanilla classic community turned out, you're only as good as your parses anyway. A boost to 58 isn't going to help you win at that so....
    The proper waifu is a wholesome supplement for one's intrinsic need for belonging and purpose.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    There is literally nothing to win in Classic. You play it to experience or re-experience old times. Boost is for people that want experience only TBC. And we never had or never will have free boosts for a reason.

And it’s far more than two weeks of leveling unless you play 10 hours a day.
    Looks like we've got another person who never played TBC, completely ignorant to the fact that EXP requirements between level 10 and 60 are reduced by 30% in TBC, plus shitloads more quests added.

If you take more than 2-3 weeks to get to 58, you're doing something wrong.

The only thing that are paying to win... is being 12 levels from max level. Anyone who is outraged by that is simply a whiner.

If that's the case, then all boosts are paying to win, and getting carried in a dungeon for free just simply being a parasite to win.

Eh, I'm nornally against these types of services. Sure it's skipping over an irrelevant part of old content but later on you can call leveling to 70 the same.
    Seeing though as it's only 1 char I guess it's fine if ppl who didn't care about classic get to start right away, even though some may try to abuse it in some way with multiple accounts.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    It's a p2w feature that anyone who wants to be competitive on alliance shaman or horde paladin will have to use, for sure.
    Why? You can just level in the prepatch lol.

And youc ant even boosts spacegoats or belfs

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    The only thing that are paying to win... is being 12 levels from max level. Anyone who is outraged by that is simply a whiner.

If that's the case, then all boosts are paying to win, and getting carried in a dungeon for free just simply being a parasite to win.
    Its a boost to level 50 afaik.

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicPeon View Post
    Why? You can just level in the prepatch lol.

And youc ant even boosts spacegoats or belfs

- - - Updated - - -

Its a boost to level 50 afaik.
    It's a level 58 boost.

Looks like we've got another person who never played TBC, completely ignorant to the fact that EXP requirements between level 10 and 60 are reduced by 30% in TBC, plus shitloads more quests added.

If you take more than 2-3 weeks to get to 58, you're doing something wrong.
    A new player who is not new to Vanilla but who’s not speedrunning or following guides, in Classic will actually take at least 12 days of /played to get to 60 (way more imho but let’s assume this for the sake of calculation).

So in TBC it would be (12*24)-30%=roughly 200 hours. Of course there are tons of other variables to consider, but let’s be super optimistic and say that 1-60 in TBC will take half of the time than in pure Classic, it would be anyways something like 140-150 hours minimum. Taking 3 weeks would mean play more or less 7-8 hours a day. Every day. For 3 weeks.

Nothing impossible, but surely not a standard scenario, don’t you think?
    Last edited by chiddie; 2021-02-26 at 04:30 PM.