Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    I didn't hear people complaining about the resident evil remake. If you make the game better which you can now. People will realise they don't know what they want till they actually play it
    Because it's a remake, that's what it set out to do.

There are also Resident Evil remasters, like the ones on game cube. Those didn't remake the game like the modern ones, and they're still fun as their own games. They're two different things, not the same product.

What you're talking about is more along the lines of a remake. This isn't a remake. That's what we're saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    Because it's a remake, that's what it set out to do.

There are also Resident Evil remasters, like the ones on game cube. Those didn't remake the game like the modern ones, and they're still fun as their own games. They're two different things, not the same product.

What you're talking about is more along the lines of a remake. This isn't a remake. That's what we're saying.
    I get that. And what I'm saying is that the resident evil remasters no one gave a shit about but the remakes were hyped as game of the year and breathed new life in the series. D2 needs that. It has not aged well. I played it last year

So, same topic as "Classic+". How original.

No, they won't create further content for remasters. They didn't for Classic. They didn't for Starcraft. They didn't for WC3:R. They won't for D2:R.

"Diablo 2 expansion after the remaster" is Diablo 4, a couple of years after.

I get that. And what I'm saying is that the resident evil remasters no one gave a shit about but the remakes were hyped as game of the year and breathed new life in the series. D2 needs that. It has not aged well. I played it last year
    The remasters sold very well on the gamecube. What held it back was that they were gamecube exclusives, during a time when Playstation and Xbox were much more popular.

If you really are talking about a remake in terms of fresh new gameplay while still based loosely on the originals, I mean... Diablo 4 can be considered that. Three of the classes so far are from Diablo 2, and the latest is a reimagined Diablo 1 class that also had ties to Diablo 2. Diablo 4 is your modern Resident Evil Remake, so to speak.

The remasters sold very well on the gamecube. What held it back was that they were gamecube exclusives, during a time when Playstation and Xbox were much more popular.

If you really are talking about a remake in terms of fresh new gameplay while still based loosely on the originals, I mean... Diablo 4 can be considered that. Three of the classes so far are from Diablo 2, and the latest is a reimagined Diablo 1 class that also had ties to Diablo 2. Diablo 4 is your modern Resident Evil Remake, so to speak.
    They don't even need to create new content. Just have some scaling past hell. Nerf immunities and add diablo 1 as a secret level. But that's too much effort when they can just fleece the "it's OK to have boosts in TBC" modern player crowd

I hope the remaster is successful and they add content/changes.

The game desperately needs it. People seem to forget you can only kill one or two bosses on Hell because of immunities and no one is getting an infinity polearm without dupes like back in the day.
    Immunities is one of the worst things in D2, it's really a huge wart on an otherwise amazing game. It should really be changed to "very resistant" and have all pierce effects be multiplicative rather than additive (so they don't entirely counter the resist effects).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hulkgor View Post
    So, same topic as "Classic+". How original.

No, they won't create further content for remasters. They didn't for Classic. They didn't for Starcraft. They didn't for WC3:R. They won't for D2:R.

"Diablo 2 expansion after the remaster" is Diablo 4, a couple of years after.
    None of the previous remasters have been in the same category though, as Warcraft never really needed an update, Starcraft didn't either, but D2 is barely playable.

That said, I don't believe new content will come, but I do think some balance changes (such as a reimagining of the whole immunities system) should.

Quote Originally Posted by Segus1992 View Post
    Immunities is one of the worst things in D2, it's really a huge wart on an otherwise amazing game. It should really be changed to "very resistant" and have all pierce effects be multiplicative rather than additive (so they don't entirely counter the resist effects).
    Yeah nothing worse than not being able to damage at all. If it was reduced damage fine. But not being able to do anything other than using a different build skill and relying on your plus skill gear is shit game design.

but D2 is barely playable.
    No, it's not 'barely playable'.

It -still- is playable, and in fact, is played, by huge communities.

And no, it doesn't require an expansion. Diablo 4 is down the road.

The simple fact that it will have mod support is more than enough.

They don't even need to create new content. Just have some scaling past hell. Nerf immunities and add diablo 1 as a secret level. But that's too much effort when they can just fleece the "it's OK to have boosts in TBC" modern player crowd
    Yes but none of that would actually mean anything to most players who are going to be buying Diablo 2 remaster for a simple remaster.

It may seem simple to you but what you're asking for is literally months of extra work with little payoff. Are these things going to make the $40 price tag more worth-while? Are a majority of the people who buy D2 for being a remake actually going to care about a Diablo 1 secret level?

I mean Diablo 3 has a Diablo 1 remake level, and for all the effort they put into making it you can complete it in an hour and that's about it. It's not integral to the core content of Diablo 2, and while Diablo 3's D1 levels are a nice-to-have, they're more of a distraction than actual content that makes the game worth getting. It's a good idea, but not one that necessarily is worth the time and effort considering the type of content we're talking about.

I think a focus on making Diablo 2 Remaster the same as Diablo 2 is first and foremost the priority. Everything else can be considered afterwards, whether its balance updates or post-Ubers content.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2021-02-25 at 06:56 PM.

no changes means the game is fun for like 10 hours till you hit hell then realise you have to pray to diablo himself for a high rune to drop to have any chance of doing anything in hell with resistance removing runeword like infinity
    I meeeeeeeeeeeean that is what Diablo 2 is. If you want more content, go play Diablo IV.

Yes but none of that would actually mean anything to most players who are going to be buying Diablo 2 remaster for a simple remaster.

It may seem simple to you but what you're asking for is literally months of extra work with little payoff. Are these things going to make the $40 price tag more worth-while? Are a majority of the people who buy D2 for being a remake actually going to care about a Diablo 1 secret level?

I mean Diablo 3 has a Diablo 1 remake level, and for all the effort they put into making it you can complete it in an hour and that's about it. It's not integral to the core content of Diablo 2, and while Diablo 3's D1 levels are a nice-to-have, they're more of a distraction than actual content that makes the game worth getting.

I think a focus on making Diablo 2 Remaster the same as Diablo 2 is first and foremost the priority. Everything else can be considered afterwards, whether its balance updates or post-Ubers content.
    Spyro/crash remasters came with all 3 games. Yet its asking to much to have a diablo 1 secret level?

D2 isn't even that big of a game. There's 4 act. One of which is tiny. And you redo it 3 times. Sorry that I expect they put in some effort outside of graphics

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tonkaden View Post
    I meeeeeeeeeeeean that is what Diablo 2 is. If you want more content, go play Diablo IV.
    That's fine just don't come crying when you're bored after getting into hell

None of the previous remasters have been in the same category though, as Warcraft never really needed an update, Starcraft didn't either, but D2 is barely playable.
    Diablo 2 is absolutely playable. I still play it today.

You just have to realize that it's a game that plays in a very specific way, with its own nuances. It's not a product of modern game design. But hey, if you're going to buy a remaster, you should already know and expect that.

- - - Updated - - -

Spyro/crash remasters came with all 3 games. Yet its asking to much to have a diablo 1 secret level?

D2 isn't even that big of a game. There's 4 act. One of which is tiny. And you redo it 3 times. Sorry that I expect they put in some effort outside of graphics
    Would a Diablo 1 secret level give you incentive for buying Diablo 2?

If so, then I think you're considering buying a remaster for all the wrong reasons. Just my opinion.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2021-02-25 at 07:02 PM.

Diablo 2 is absolutely playable. I still play it today.

You just have to realize that it's a game that plays in a very specific way, with its own nuances. It's not a product of modern game design. But hey, if you're going to buy a remaster, you should already know and expect that.

- - - Updated - - -

Would a Diablo 1 secret level give you incentive for buying Diablo 2?

If so, then I think you're considering buying a remaster for all the wrong reasons. Just my opinion.
    I buy video games to play video games. Remember when they had cool hidden stuff like wirts leg and ubers? That stuff is fun for me. A hidden d1 dungeon crawler would be a super cool way of saying "thanks for supporting our lazy reboot idea as we go through our back catalogue to bump up our quarter with minimal investment"

I buy video games to play video games. Remember when they had cool hidden stuff like wirts leg and ubers? That stuff is fun for me. A hidden d1 dungeon crawler would be a super cool way of saying "thanks for supporting our lazy reboot idea as we go through our back catalogue to bump up our quarter with minimal investment"
    I just get the impression that this is a 'grass is greener' argument, since a Diablo 1 secret level isn't going to make-or-break anyone's decision to purchase a Diablo 2 remaster. I'm sure it sounds great to you, but as someone who still plays Diablo 2, is playing Project D2 as well, and thinks Diablo 2 Ressurected is too expensive (I am definitely going to wait for a sale), extra content like this isn't going to be an incentive for me to get the game whatsoever.

And as 'lazy' as the reboot may seem to you, they're already spending resources to redo the cinematics as well, and that's far more than what SCR and WC3R had even considered. I mean think of it the other way, what if they didn't remake the cinematics? We could be asking 'well they could have at least remade the cinematics'. Well, now they are doing it. But I guess it's still lazy because we weren't specifically asking for remade cinematics? The grass is greener on the other side.

I just get the impression that this is a 'grass is greener' argument, since a Diablo 1 secret level isn't going to make-or-break anyone's decision to purchase a Diablo 2 remaster. I'm sure it sounds great to you, but as someone who still plays Diablo 2, is playing Project D2 as well, and thinks Diablo 2 Ressurected is too expensive (I am definitely going to wait for a sale), extra content like this isn't going to be an incentive for me to get the game whatsoever.

And as 'lazy' as the reboot may seem to you, they're already spending resources to redo the cinematics as well, and that's far more than what SCR and WC3R had even considered. I mean think of it the other way, what if they didn't remake the cinematics? We could be asking 'well they could have at least remade the cinematics'. Well, now they are doing it. But I guess it's still lazy because we weren't specifically asking for remade cinematics? The grass is greener on the other side.
    Its simply an idea to actually pad out some content that wouldnt require too much work outside of updating the graphics. Not asking for entire new animations/voice work/cgi etc.

Because D2 is incredibly bare bones when you compare it to current similar games on the market. As I said, its pretty much 4 acts you do 3 times, you can get to hell in an afternoon.

I just put 50+ hours in a game that is half the price (Hades).

If people have completely forgotten their time with D2 or havent replayed it in recent years and just want to throw down cash to relive some sweet nostalgia, all power to them. Such a waste of potential though. When the original game is still there, and D2 only needs tweaks to be something special in 2021.
    Last edited by RobertoCarlos; 2021-02-25 at 07:23 PM.

I fully expect a remake, not necessarily much in the way of "new content". But honestly, I would be *more* excited about it, if there *was* going to be an Expansion for D2 remastered.

Maybe a sort of "Dark Knight" who marries dark, even demonic rituals and wielding hellfire alongside more martial weapons. Essentially, a "battle-mage" with more of a "Dark Wanderer" slant. I could see that being VERY cool!

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, there will be - Diablo Immortal.

I don't see Blizzard ever doing any D2 expansion - it's let the sleeping dogs lie thing, anything they do will produce a ravenous backlash from purists. They are for sure better off doing remaster and then going Immortal/D4.

D2 story is done and it's better that way for everyone, including Blizz.

Just play Median XL, it's better than D2 anyway lol.

Do new graphics really mean that much to people? Why not just replay the game now then instead of waiting to buy something for some retail therapy.

Graphics mean so little to me I can't fathom why someone would want to play a game with quite frankly shit gameplay for 2021 standards
    Well they're adding in the ability to do hot keys for your abilities first off so you'll be able to have more in use than you would have in classic Diablo 2 and Gold auto picks up and there's a bunch of other quality of life things like the shared stashes etc, it is not unchanged but I do think they should remove the 100% resistances I believe that's just an oversight of design since they slaped the extra difficulties on at the very last minute I'm guessing.

Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    Well they're adding in the ability to do hot keys for your abilities first off so you'll be able to have more in use than you would have in classic Diablo 2 and Gold auto picks up and there's a bunch of other quality of life things like the shared stashes etc, it is not unchanged but I do think they should remove the 100% resistances I believe that's just an oversight of design since they slaped the extra difficulties on at the very last minute I'm guessing.
    You could always hotkey spells you were just limited to two at a time on the bars.

Shared stash is great but watch that fill instantly with armor with sockets as you wait for high runes to drop. Hopefully you'll see one within a 1000 hours of gameplay!