10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Who the fuck was pushing Steyer to be third? I don’t remember that at all...
    Remember kids, the biggest spenders in the Dem primaries were:
    • Bloomberg
    • Steyer
    • Sanders

These guys spent a lot of money in SC. But had problems picking up a phone and calling Jim Clyburn

Steyer dumped a ton of cash there. Bought up a lot of activists and air time.

Remember the lesson of 2020: Very Online Activists dont represent many actual voters.

Someone with the political capital to do so, needs to tell Joe Manchin to go fuck himself proper. If I was a Senate aide on the Hill I'd be fucking livid that this motherfucker is holding up a nomination for being "too political" when he voted JEFF SESSIONS IN FOR ATTORNEY GENERAL. All because the pick criticized his daughter for being a piece of shit predatory capitalist.

And then when he tries to pull the same thing on the minimum wage, literally march him into the Oval and tell him to shut the fuck up, directly from Joe.

The Republicans are now our political enemies (note: substantially different from actual enemies, but the jury's still out on that one). There's zero reason to compromise with them any more.

For so long the criticism of Dems is that we act like we know better. Time to show the country that we actually do, based on science and reason.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Very odd, I've never seen any of your named sources promote the "Biden is senile" conspiracy. Or any of your other insane nonsense you constantly push.

Maybe CNN and Al-Jezeera have taken an insane right-wing turn since I last got to watch them.
    most recent one I know of was Tucker Carlson yesterday or Tuesday.

Tucker was trying to spin democrats asking Biden to transfer nuclear strike ability to congress as them waning to do it cause they think Biden has dementia, and not because the president before him was rage tweeting "my nukes are bigger and better and bestest and Ill used them if you don't like and retweet this"

but hey, maybe Theo got it from somewhere else and will provide proof of that.
    Last edited by D Luniz; 2021-02-26 at 12:45 AM. Reason: clarification of who I was talking about
    "Law and Order", lots of places have had that, Russia, North Korea, Saddam's Iraq.
    Laws can be made to enforce order of cruelty and brutality.
    Equality and Justice, that is how you have peace and a society that benefits all.

The Senate parliamentarian has ruled that Democrats' $15 minimum wage provision cannot be included in President Biden's COVID relief bill.

No minimum wage increase in this bill. I'm sure some, are going to cheer to Parliamentary procedure.

When the Senate parliamentarian got in the way of the Bush tax cut, Republicans fired him and passed it anyways.

Leave this here since it might be Washington Post, paywall.

Senate Parliamentarian Robert Dove, the official responsible for enforcing the chamber's rules and procedures, has been asked to leave his post after a dispute with the Republican leadership, Senate sources said yesterday.

Dove angered Republicans, especially Majority Leader Trent Lott (R-Miss.), with at least two recent rulings that effectively made it harder for the GOP to push President Bush's budget and tax cut proposals through the evenly divided body.

Republicans declined to say why Dove had been asked to leave, but his departure will force the appointment of a new parliamentarian -- one of the Senate's most important, if least-known, officers at a time in which the Democrats and Republicans are seeking to operate under an unprecedented power-sharing arrangement.

The office of the parliamentarian has always been one of the most important in the Senate, but Dove's rulings have been particularly sensitive this year with the body split between 50 Democrats and 50 Republicans. The controversy that led to his dismissal underscores the degree of frustration felt by GOP leaders as they seek to advance the agenda of the first Republican president in eight years.
    Remember, the Republicans have no decorum, no rules, they don't give a EFF!
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
    No minimum wage increase in this bill. I'm sure some, are going to cheer to Parliamentary procedure.
    House Democrats to keep minimum wage hike in COVID-19 relief bill for Friday vote

House Democrats will leave a provision to increase the minimum wage to $15 per hour in their version of the COVID-19 relief package set for a vote on Friday despite a ruling from the Senate parliamentarian that the measure does not comply with budgetary rules.

Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) called the Senate parliamentarian's ruling "disappointing" in a statement on Thursday night but said that the House will still vote on the $1.9 trillion relief package on Friday with the minimum wage increase.

Democrats will then leave it up to the Senate to remove the provision when it reaches the upper chamber.

10+ Year Old Account
    No minimum wage increase in this bill.
    Not cheering per se, but this is pretty much expected. A raise in the minimum wage should stand on its own.

Unfortunately since the GOP would rather die than close the wage gap, this was the only way it was going to get signed. Hope you're good with $7.25, guys. We tried.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Not cheering per se, but this is pretty much expected. A raise in the minimum wage should stand on its own.

Unfortunately since the GOP would rather die than close the wage gap, this was the only way it was going to get signed. Hope you're good with $7.25, guys. We tried.
    Yes, I do agree with you. But here is the thing. You know it and I know it. The Republicans don't play the same game. We want to play by the rules but the Republicans will cheat. So next time this may bite the Dems in the ass.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

Yes, I do agree with you. But here is the thing. You know it and I know it. The Republicans don't play the same game. We want to play by the rules but the Republicans will cheat. So next time this may bite the Dems in the ass.
    This is as good an issue as any for the new democratic playing rules. Democrats need to keep talking about minimum wage throughout 2021, and in 2022 fight hard for it, blaming republicans for the fact that American wages are so low. Speaker Pelosi is keeping the pressure on by including the minimum wage provision in the House version of the bill.

10+ Year Old Account
    So, we're bombing Iranians in Syria, apparently.

That's...interesting. I figured the US would get back to shit like this sooner or later, but I was hoping for "later".

10+ Year Old Account
    Anyone else getting annoyed by liberal friends on Facebook already bitching that one month in Joe Biden hasn't yet snapped his fingers and made all the problems in this country disappear?

- - - Updated - - -

The Senate parliamentarian has ruled that Democrats' $15 minimum wage provision cannot be included in President Biden's COVID relief bill.

Here's an example. The Senate Parliamentarian axed the $15 minimum wage hike, but the guy I'm talking about is posting shit from that Cenk idiot blaming Biden. Like . . . Biden doesn't control the Senate?

The guy's already been predisposed to hating Biden before the election, only begrudgingly being happy that Trump is gone.

It's annoying.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Anyone else getting annoyed by liberal friends on Facebook already bitching that one month in Joe Biden hasn't yet snapped his fingers and made all the problems in this country disappear?

- - - Updated - - -

Here's an example. The Senate Parliamentarian axed the $15 minimum wage hike, but the guy I'm talking about is posting shit from that Cenk idiot blaming Biden. Like . . . Biden doesn't control the Senate?

The guy's already been predisposed to hating Biden before the election, only begrudgingly being happy that Trump is gone.

It's annoying.
    Don’t be dishonest. Cenk clearly points out that the parliamentarian ruling is part of custom and it is an OPINION that can be overridden by the Vice President.. we’ve never heard much of this parliamentarian excuse for not doing shit because republicans have just done it... and democrats. But suddenly it’s a huge issue...

It's easier and faster to break things than to fix them. It took Trump years to make the country worse on top of the problems we already had. Anyone seriously bitching about Biden at this point was going to bitch no matter what.

A lot of good will get done over the next few years, but even if the filibuster goes away brace yourself for long slogs on any kind of real legislation. Just remember republicans during the Trump years. They had no problems with shitting all over everything, but still barely got any real legislation through. Dems aren't as willing as republicans to backstab and break the law, so of course it's going to be slow and tough.
    Last edited by Blur4stuff; 2021-02-26 at 05:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blur4stuff View Post
    It's easier and faster to break things than to fix them. It took Trump years to make the country worse on top of the problems we already had. Anyone seriously bitching about Biden at this point was going to bitch no matter what.

A lot of good will get done over the next few years, but even if the filibuster goes away brace yourself for long slogs on any kind of real legislation. Just remember republicans during the Trump years. They had no problems with shitting all over everything, but still barely got any real legislation through. Dems aren't as willing as republicans to backstab and break the law, so of course it's going to be slow and tough.
    Good things like what?? Dems don't need to backstab or break the law, and what has "going slow" even given us?

Can't roll back all the tax cuts from Bush because "oh no it would be bad!" can't roll back Trump tax cuts that added trillions to deficits because "oh no it will be bad"

What fucking "good" changes are you seeing coming form slow work?

You say bitching about biden can't be serious but why can't I bitch about the Yemen situation and Biden's empty bullshit speech on the issue? The BS continuation and his excuses of war on terror? The idiotic stances taken on Venezuela as if the USA can tell other countries who their leader should be... especially an unpopular one literally who publically tried to start a coup. There's a reason the EU backed away from backing him you know...

There's plenty to bitch about.

His domestic policy is better sure, because it isn't white natioanlist. Foreign policy though? It's the same bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by Blur4stuff View Post

A certain amount of pressure from the left is a good thing, not a bad thing.

Sure republicans are pushing back against the minimum wage bill, mostly with emotionally laden lies. This is standard republican behavior no matter WHAT democrats talk about.

Shutting up is definitely NOT an answer. Right now democrats are fighting for the minimum wage. Maybe they will get it through, maybe not. But the battle is being fought, and republicans have to repeatedly lie about why Trump supporters should make 8 or 9 bucks an hour instead of 15. And why Trump supporters should only get $1,400 instead of an extra $2,000. Democrats may lose these battles, and that is only acceptable if they fought hard and lost due to an excessive number of republicans that won election battles in November.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    So, we're bombing Iranians in Syria, apparently.

That's...interesting. I figured the US would get back to shit like this sooner or later, but I was hoping for "later".
    The right of passage for the presidency

It's usually Israel doing those but not really a surprise seeing the us getting in there too with Biden approving the strikes even.

Bidens first military action too I believe.
    Last edited by ParanoiD84; 2021-02-26 at 08:59 AM.
    Do you hear the voices too?

Kamala can easily override the Parlimentarian, and should, but the PressSec office has already said tonight she won't.

Disappointing, at best.

Some of the more "classical" liberals are saying, "Good, let it stand on its own, do it outside of the reconciliation process. Then let the Republicans run on rejecting it in 2022." Unfortunately, this not only doesn't help people (because the bill won't be filibuster proof and we have idiots who won't let the filibuster die in our own party), it's also, as we've seen for THIRTY FUCKING YEARS, bad politics. Every time we say "Republicans will have to answer for it in the next election!" they just fear-monger and gerrymander their way to a majority or a significant minority. Obama had a filibuster proof majority for about 2 months during the summer of his first year, by Jan of 2010 it was gone when Scott Brown (R-MA) replaced the deceased Teddy Kennedy. There hasn't been a significant Democratic majority in this country since the 80s, when Tip O'Neill was Speaker in the House. And that majority couldn't do anything even when Reagan was clearly a dementia-addled piece of shit, as opposed to his normal piece of shit self.

We should play the power game, pass it in a divided Senate, whip fucking Manchin and Sinema into fucking lockstep and threaten to primary them otherwise, and then......guess what: we actually help people. Added side bonus: in 2022, WE GET TO FUCKING RUN ON THE POSITIVE, instead of relying on the negative harming the Republicans.
    Last edited by eschatological; 2021-02-26 at 09:07 AM. Reason: got some dates wrong on Brown's election.

- - - Updated - - -

It's annoying.
    most of these "liberal" facebook people like this all ready outed themselves with "both sides" nonesense for me

7+ Year Old Account
    So Biden bombed Iranian backed militias in Syria

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-56205056

It's nothing really spectacular, just the usual tit for tat.
    "Life is one long series of problems to solve. The more you solve, the better a man you become.... Tribulations spawn in life and over and over again we must stand our ground and face them."

Quote Originally Posted by CostinR View Post
    So Biden bombed Iranian backed militias in Syria

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-56205056

It's nothing really spectacular, just the usual tit for tat.
    “You attacked our occupation so now we attack you”.

Probably would help to not be there. But hey no plans to properly stop the forever war.
    Last edited by Themius; 2021-02-26 at 01:10 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

It's annoying.
    Sorry these friends listen to Cenk or Taibbi. Those guys will lie to your face for clicks.

I also wouldnt go to them for legal advice. It sucks the Parliamentarian rules the minimum wage was against the rules. But they're probably right on the merits of Senate Rules.

But I'm willing to admit im no expert on Senate Rules, they're arcane and dumb. I'm doubting that Cenk and his circle jerk are either.