Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Don’t be dishonest. Cenk clearly points out that the parliamentarian ruling is part of custom and it is an OPINION that can be overridden by the Vice President.. we’ve never heard much of this parliamentarian excuse for not doing shit because republicans have just done it... and democrats. But suddenly it’s a huge issue...
    If the Dems get anything passed expect all of the dipshit taker states to immediately file a lawsuit trying to get it overturned. At least trying to pass better crafted laws will make them harder to overturn.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Not cheering per se, but this is pretty much expected. A raise in the minimum wage should stand on its own.

Unfortunately since the GOP would rather die than close the wage gap, this was the only way it was going to get signed. Hope you're good with $7.25, guys. We tried.
    No you didn’t. Lol.

Y’all had best reconcile yourselves to a Republican congress in 2022.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Kamala can easily override the Parlimentarian, and should, but the PressSec office has already said tonight she won't.

Disappointing, at best.

Some of the more "classical" liberals are saying, "Good, let it stand on its own, do it outside of the reconciliation process. Then let the Republicans run on rejecting it in 2022." Unfortunately, this not only doesn't help people (because the bill won't be filibuster proof and we have idiots who won't let the filibuster die in our own party), it's also, as we've seen for THIRTY FUCKING YEARS, bad politics. Every time we say "Republicans will have to answer for it in the next election!" they just fear-monger and gerrymander their way to a majority or a significant minority. Obama had a filibuster proof majority for about 2 months during the summer of his first year, by Jan of 2010 it was gone when Scott Brown (R-MA) replaced the deceased Teddy Kennedy. There hasn't been a significant Democratic majority in this country since the 80s, when Tip O'Neill was Speaker in the House. And that majority couldn't do anything even when Reagan was clearly a dementia-addled piece of shit, as opposed to his normal piece of shit self.

We should play the power game, pass it in a divided Senate, whip fucking Manchin and Sinema into fucking lockstep and threaten to primary them otherwise, and then......guess what: we actually help people. Added side bonus: in 2022, WE GET TO FUCKING RUN ON THE POSITIVE, instead of relying on the negative harming the Republicans.
    This. It’s exactly the same set of folks who lost us 2010 and 2016 advancing the same bullshit which does not work in a post-Fox political environment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm hard on Bernie a bit, but this is what you if you're more interested in getting stuff done than whining about the parliamentarian for your Patreon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Milchshake View Post
    I'm hard on Bernie a bit, but this is what you if you're more interested in getting stuff done than whining about the parliamentarian for your Patreon.
    And I'll continue to point out that from an optics standpoint, "business tax deductions" are not redeemable at the grocery store - if this continues to be the legislative precedent for the Democratic Party their 2022 prospects are dire.

The past few elections have shown us people don't give a shit about process. They want results, and right now it's not helping the case for democracy that the best we can do during the worst public health crisis in living memory is this nonsense.

"We weren't able to help you, but at least we played by the rules. We tried!" is all well and good until enough people decide to go for the rulebreaker (not even really 'breaking' a rule since it is entirely their choice to change it) that actually gets results and, hey presto, you've got yourself a Reich.
    Last edited by Elegiac; 2021-02-26 at 02:38 PM.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    No you didn’t.
    I mean...we didn't try hard. Split the difference?

So looks like the minimum wage increase won't be happening. There goes any hope for a future I may have had. Dont know why I even bother with life anymore, best to just get it over with.
    World needs more Goblin Warriors https://i.imgur.com/WKs8aJA.jpg

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    I mean...we didn't try hard. Split the difference?
    *gestures at Nick Cameron's not trying hard Remain campaign banking on voters remembering that Leave was run by chronic and habitual liars*

It is what the kids might call "a bad look".

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Why is that?
    https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/25/u...imum-wage.html

Dems need 60 votes to pass it and its likely even cant get 50.
    World needs more Goblin Warriors https://i.imgur.com/WKs8aJA.jpg

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    “You attacked our occupation so now we attack you”.

Probably would help to not be there. But hey no plans to properly stop the forever war.
    The only thing the 2 parties can agree on is that they need to bomb other countries because it makes money.

'Plan B' for $15 minimum wage unveiled

Senate Finance Committee Chairman Ron Wyden (D-Ore.) on Friday announced Democrats' "Plan B" to raise the minimum wage after the Senate parliamentarian ruled that an earlier proposal from House Democrats to raise the federal minimum wage $15 an hour did not meet special budgetary rules.

Wyden is proposing a work-around solution that would impose a five-percent tax penalty on large corporations if any of their workers earn less than a certain amount, with the penalty increasing over time.

The language would ensure that large companies would have a significant financial incentive to raise wages, even if they are not mandated by law to pay employees more than the current federal minimum wage of $7.25 an hour.

"As chair of the Finance Committee, I've been working on a 'plan B' that would make big companies pay for mistreating their workers. My plan would impose a 5 percent penalty on a big corporations' total payroll if any workers earn less than a certain amount. That penalty would increase over time," Wyden said in a statement.

Wyden said his plan would include safeguards to prevent companies from evading the penalty by outsourcing jobs.

"For example, if a profitable mega corporation like Walmart fires a store's security guard and replaces him with a contractor who makes far less, my proposal would still require that Walmart pays a penalty," Wyden said.

Wyden wants to incentivize what he calls "the smallest of small businesses" to raise workers' wages by providing an income tax credit equal to 25 percent of wages - up to $10,000 per year per employer - to businesses that boost wages.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBrown1917 View Post
    The only thing the 2 parties can agree on is that they need to bomb other countries because it makes money.
    Right like hey... we bombed Japan and then employed Japanese companies to rebuild it.

In Iraq though... well we bombed it then contracted rebuilding to non-iraqi companies... further stifling the Iraqis.

It's really such an odd position I find...

Americans are mad that a country we occupy is attacking Americans....

Hey remember those death squads? THE CIA’S AFGHAN DEATH SQUADS
    A U.S.-Backed Militia That Kills Children May Be America’s Exit Strategy From Its Longest War

What's more amazing is the fact that there are more terror groups now and America itself noted that the war on terror aids in creating more terror groups... yet we keep on with the now multigenerational war.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    'Plan B' for $15 minimum wage unveiled

Senate Finance Committee Chairman Ron Wyden (D-Ore.) on Friday announced Democrats' "Plan B" to raise the minimum wage after the Senate parliamentarian ruled that an earlier proposal from House Democrats to raise the federal minimum wage $15 an hour did not meet special budgetary rules.

Wyden is proposing a work-around solution that would impose a five-percent tax penalty on large corporations if any of their workers earn less than a certain amount, with the penalty increasing over time.

The language would ensure that large companies would have a significant financial incentive to raise wages, even if they are not mandated by law to pay employees more than the current federal minimum wage of $7.25 an hour.

"As chair of the Finance Committee, I've been working on a 'plan B' that would make big companies pay for mistreating their workers. My plan would impose a 5 percent penalty on a big corporations' total payroll if any workers earn less than a certain amount. That penalty would increase over time," Wyden said in a statement.

Wyden said his plan would include safeguards to prevent companies from evading the penalty by outsourcing jobs.

"For example, if a profitable mega corporation like Walmart fires a store's security guard and replaces him with a contractor who makes far less, my proposal would still require that Walmart pays a penalty," Wyden said.

Wyden wants to incentivize what he calls "the smallest of small businesses" to raise workers' wages by providing an income tax credit equal to 25 percent of wages - up to $10,000 per year per employer - to businesses that boost wages.
    This doesn't sound like it will do much...

America has a history of:

"Bank manipulates market and makes 1.5 billion USA fines them 50mn!! Victory?"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Toppy View Post
    https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/25/u...imum-wage.html

Dems need 60 votes to pass it and its likely even cant get 50.
    And it also sounds like Manchin and Sinema are once again getting in the way of the other Democrats.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    And it also sounds like Manchin and Sinema are once again getting in the way of the other Democrats.
    And democrats who aren't Manchin or Sinema are using them as a convenient excuse to do jackshit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don’t be dishonest. Cenk clearly points out that the parliamentarian ruling is part of custom and it is an OPINION that can be overridden by the Vice President.. we’ve never heard much of this parliamentarian excuse for not doing shit because republicans have just done it... and democrats. But suddenly it’s a huge issue...
    Sure I get that.

But he was implying the whole thing was pulled by Joe Biden and didn't mention Parliamentarian. That's what bothered me.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Sure I get that.

But he was implying the whole thing was pulled by Joe Biden and didn't mention Parliamentarian. That's what bothered me.
    Because he's implying that he doesn't truly care about it all that much. All Cenk said a month ago was that "don't get your hopes up Biden isn't all for the $15 minimum wage and i guarantee you that it is going to be the first thing they'll talk about cutting" 2 weeks later he was talking about cutting it and Cenk said they're going to use it as Politicla capital then say they can't do it because of xyz and.... well that's what happened.

Biden isn't exactly on the side of the little guy... Mr. I have 10 million dollars but student debt is a burden on "me too"... because what his children that need to rely on their rich grandpa for college debt?

10+ Year Old Account
    And democrats who aren't Manchin or Sinema are using them as a convenient excuse to do jackshit.
    So is your suggestion that, should they lack the votes to go through with it, they... uh, really, really mean it hard and then it’ll pass without needing the number of necessary votes?

Pluck and moxie are ultimately not worth much if the rather binary “do we have the votes to pass it, yes or no” criteria is not being met.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    So is your suggestion that, should they lack the votes to go through with it, they... uh, really, really mean it hard and then it’ll pass without needing the number of necessary votes?

Pluck and moxie are ultimately not worth much if the rather binary “do we have the votes to pass it, yes or no” criteria is not being met.
    The politics of delaying COVID relief for months in order to raise the minimum wage are not as good as people think they are.

Polls show most Americans want Covid Relief more than anything. Followed by the vaccine.

Instead of threatening to constantly move their asses to Europe. Maybe our Leftists blowhards should move to West Virginia or Maine even. I'm all for flipping more seats, to make the Manchins, Sinemas, and Collins non relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post

Add it to the bill. Do you truly think Sinema and Manchin will torpedo the bill then? That's the whole fucking point of leaving it in. Machin has had to back away multiple times from his positions because of his voter's outrage. He will fold because he will not risk delaying covid relief just because of the minimum wage hike which is universally popular

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Milchshake View Post
    The politics of delaying COVID relief for months in order to raise the minimum wage are not as good as people think they are.

Polls show most Americans want Covid Relief more than anything. Followed by the vaccine.

Instead of threatening to constantly move their asses to Europe. Maybe our Leftists blowhards should move to West Virginia or Maine even. I'm all for flipping more seats, to make the Manchins, Sinemas, and Collins non relevant.
    Add it to the bill... they will not vote against it... so weird how you are this weird hate boner for "leftists"

And your hate boner for half of the dems in thhe Senate will only cost votes and time.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    And your hate boner for half of the dems in thhe Senate will only cost votes and time.
    Really? How?

There are two in the senate that are currently causing the bigger issues right now 2 out of 50 is less than half mind.\

Democrats Midterms - We're sorry, but the Parliamentarian

Riveting shit.