Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    My ideas would require a new expansion, but I would be competley fine with that as long as we can keep characters and games seperate.

Major Changes
    New Act
    More Act IV quests
    Act Zero Diablo 1 Dungeon because why not?

Minor Changes
    Balance changes where needed
    A 4th difficulty that is all the same level
    No level requirements for skills and no prereq requirements.
    Stackable gems/runes
    Instance loot for Runes
    Dedicated Charm slots
    Skill bar or some easy way to hotkey abilities.
    Level 100 cap because I am OCD
    Tone down immunities

But don't hold your breath. Based on blizzards track record with WC3R, I wouldn't expect much

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    This is what concerns me most about the remaster. I play D2 solo WAY more than online. Mostly because I enjoy all the mods and overhauls. I can't even recall the last time I was on the ladder.

One of the panels I saw suggested there would be solo offline play, so I am hoping D2R is open to modding in some form at the very least.
    Well, they said the original game is running under the hood. So i think the good old MPQ extracting and manually tamper the data files will still work for offline mode aswell. IIRC you just needed to "unzip" them all and slap a "-dir" on the game shortcut. Then ou can use any editor for the CSV, and a table editor to actually make your new stuff appear in game. Changing already present things is imemdiate.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zEmini View Post
    -snip-
    So, basically not Diablo 2. Some of the minor/QoL are nice idea, but for the most part you want a completely new game that's not going to happen lol. it's a remaster, not something they're gonna develop on new things.

I don't understand why someone would expect something like this.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    Blizzard's fatal flaw that has ruined D3, SC2 and seen the playerbase of WoW drop is that they have turned away from social play. Its CRITICAL that, in any game they put out, they not only keep social features but build new ones.

If they strictly focus on graphics and gameplay and don't improve social, D2R will be another SC2 or D3.
    Wait, SC2 doesn't have social features? Clans, archon mode, co-op mode, etc. seems very sociable to me.

On topic with D2R, they already talked at length about enhancements to trading to make it easier to handle. I think that's already a nice step above D3 in social features.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    Well, they said the original game is running under the hood. So i think the good old MPQ extracting and manually tamper the data files will still work for offline mode aswell. IIRC you just needed to "unzip" them all and slap a "-dir" on the game shortcut. Then ou can use any editor for the CSV, and a table editor to actually make your new stuff appear in game. Changing already present things is imemdiate.

- - - Updated - - -

So, basically not Diablo 2. Some of the minor/QoL are nice idea, but for the most part you want a completely new game that's not going to happen lol. it's a remaster, not something they're gonna develop on new things.

I don't understand why someone would expect something like this.
    Nobody reasonably expects anything from Blizzard anymore. But that is mostly due to incompetence (see WC3R). New content for Diablo 2 doesn't magically turn the game into not being Diablo 2. There are some very major balance problems that will be cropping up and I fully expect Blizzard to address that. But they probably wont because of laziness. And as with expansions generally are from legacy games, they would partition the player base who want too keep playing the original LoD. Besides Classic isn't going anywhere. Most of my ideas are changes for the better.

There are some very major balance problems that will be cropping up and I fully expect Blizzard to address that.
    As much as I would agree with you on the logic, the balance is something that is almost untouchable without changing a lot of the core D2 experience. Yes, the game went through thousands of changes during its prime, but that was done by the original team with a specific goal in mind. It's not being handled by the designers who have those same goals in mind, and a new team handling balance could easily shift it in the 'wrong' direction.

Warcraft 3 Reforged is a good reminder of this, if you ever paid attention to the balance updates made. Some things were much needed, other changes completely screwed up the meta and shifted it in a completely different direction. Then they tried to compensate based on player/pro feedback, but that ended up tipping the balance even further in the wrong direction, to the point where they had to completely roll back on changes they pushed live. No one really remembers or cares about the good changes, it's always the bad ones that will stand out and get talked about.

I'm all for opening up for variety of builds in Diablo 2, but I'm also aware that there are balance mods that do this kind of thing, and you can already play them and see for yourself how changes end up affecting the overall D2 experience. Some are more noticeable than others, but everything adds up.

I'm playing Project D2 right now, and really enjoying it. It's the first real big mod I've jumped into. It has larger stash spaces, stackable runes, dedicated charm slots, plenty of balance updates and much of what you're asking for. But it's very different from the regular D2 experience. It really isn't the same game being asked for, it's more like an Expansion itself.

On that note, I'd love to see them consider an official expansion if this remaster actually does well. But that is a conversation for after the game is actually out and we see how it does.

I mean after seeing the amount of content Path of Exile has to offer, compared to that d2 is a tutorial.

D4 will also look pale compared to poe.
    Let me guess, 4 acts. 4th act only 50% length of the others.
    Some boring endless game like in d3.
    I don't have high hopes for D4, but maybe Blizzard will surprise me.

Without split screen this game will be dead!

/s lol

1. 8 player games
    2. named games in a menu
    3. password protect option on games
    4. a full-featured lobby with toon avatars at full resolution, character data sheets, searchable stash, rune counter, trackers that tell you how many uniques / sets you've found of total possible, player inspect, chat, saved chat, etc. And lets be clear on this, the bnet friends list and realID crap is NOT ENOUGH
    5. split screen mode so you can play alongside a friend in a solo game complete with the ability to chat and click on items in their window and inspect
    6. picture-in-picture mode for 2+ players, clickable and draggable
    7. observer mode with special chat and inspect abilities
    8. enhanced helper games (such as enchantress normal difficulty games for new players)
    9. helper tags people can wear to let others know they are willing to help whomever needs it
    1-3 I agree with
    4 is like 10 things in one. Searchable stash would be nice, we already know they've improved the character sheet to show more. I don't actually care about the rest of that though. Also why is chat, and saved chat separate?
    5. Um, no? They even said making it come to consoles (the only place split screen would have a chance at working) they just are tricking the game into thinking you're playing with M+KB. So this likely wouldn't function.
    6. Why? This seems so niche.
    7. Again, why? Just stream the game if you want people to watch it?
    8. Why are we changing the difficulty now?? Just give me D2 with small QoL upgrades, a fullscreen mode that doesn't freak my computer out, and good FPS. Then I'm happy.
    9. Just say you're willing to help in a public lobby?

Screw the purists I'd love for D2R to be supported with new systems/balance and loot changes, The price tag is more than enough to cover for it since D3 is still getting patches to this day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    As much as I would agree with you on the logic, the balance is something that is almost untouchable without changing a lot of the core D2 experience. Yes, the game went through thousands of changes during its prime, but that was done by the original team with a specific goal in mind. It's not being handled by the designers who have those same goals in mind, and a new team handling balance could easily shift it in the 'wrong' direction.

Warcraft 3 Reforged is a good reminder of this, if you ever paid attention to the balance updates made. Some things were much needed, other changes completely screwed up the meta and shifted it in a completely different direction. Then they tried to compensate based on player/pro feedback, but that ended up tipping the balance even further in the wrong direction, to the point where they had to completely roll back on changes they pushed live. No one really remembers or cares about the good changes, it's always the bad ones that will stand out and get talked about.

I'm all for opening up for variety of builds in Diablo 2, but I'm also aware that there are balance mods that do this kind of thing, and you can already play them and see for yourself how changes end up affecting the overall D2 experience. Some are more noticeable than others, but everything adds up.

I'm playing Project D2 right now, and really enjoying it. It's the first real big mod I've jumped into. It has larger stash spaces, stackable runes, dedicated charm slots, plenty of balance updates and much of what you're asking for. But it's very different from the regular D2 experience. It really isn't the same game being asked for, it's more like an Expansion itself.

On that note, I'd love to see them consider an official expansion if this remaster actually does well. But that is a conversation for after the game is actually out and we see how it does.
    We are not balancing a RTS where balance is paramount. I am talking about making sure some classes are not useless in the end game. Having a druid or assassin compete with a hammerdin in Hell Baal runs is actually a good thing for the game. I would also like to see every class have access to breaking immunities. That would be all for the most part.

And yes a official expansion might be required satisfy both players and purists

Quote Originally Posted by Khain View Post
    Screw the purists I'd love for D2R to be supported with new systems/balance and loot changes, The price tag is more than enough to cover for it since D3 is still getting patches to this day.

They are nazis and are currently a very vocal minority on the official forums.

We are not balancing a RTS where balance is paramount. I am talking about making sure some classes are not useless in the end game. Having a druid or assassin compete with a hammerdin in Hell Baal runs is actually a good thing for the game. I would also like to see every class have access to breaking immunities. That would be all for the most part.
    Yeah, and that can't happen without sweeping changes across the board.

The issue is that the current balance is the way it is because it's how the meta has decided it to be. As a Paladin player, I'm aware that BH is crazy OP, but also there's really no real comparative build for Paladins to use. So they up the Druid to be competitive, but what about me as a Paladin who doesn't want to use BH and sees the Druid having 3-4 viable end-game builds? Are they going to have to address that as well? Yes, they better damn well because 'I'm a paying customer'.

I know this is a slippery slope argument, but it's one that really affects Diablo 2 when you consider how many balance mods there are for D2 and how each and every one of them addresses the same problems differently. There's no one solution to it, and each has their own nuances.

At the end of the day, every class has at least one 'OP' build. Even Druids and Assassins can compete in the end-game with the right build, but usually you only have one build with the right items to do so.

It's hard to address 'making sure some classes are not useless' when that is the equivalent of rebalancing the game to make sure everyone has multiple viable builds across the board. If we're talking about classes being useless, then I assure you, every class has a strong end-game build. Most just aren't as effective as Hammerdin, but that's both a blessing and a curse to the Paladin class who literally has no other viable end-game options to speak of. All the other builds are based on gimmicks that require right gearing (Dual Dream Holyshock) or gimmicks to fight Ubers (Smitadin).

I'd say balance has to be addressed on an Expansion level, with a team dedicated to a rework. That's the way balance mods have succeeded over time, they dedicate to a new style of play and run with it rather than trying to simply make things moderately fall in line. Most other mods that simply aim to add convenience rarely touch the balance at all.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2021-02-24 at 06:51 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    Yeah, and that can't happen without sweeping changes across the board.

The issue is that the current balance is the way it is because it's how the meta has decided it to be. As a Paladin player, I'm aware that BH is crazy OP, but also there's really no real comparative build for Paladins to use. So they up the Druid to be competitive, but what about me as a Paladin who doesn't want to use BH and sees the Druid having 3-4 viable end-game builds? Are they going to have to address that as well? Yes, they better damn well because 'I'm a paying customer'.

I know this is a slippery slope argument, but it's one that really affects Diablo 2 when you consider how many balance mods there are for D2 and how each and every one of them addresses the same problems differently. There's no one solution to it, and each has their own nuances.

At the end of the day, every class has at least one 'OP' build. Even Druids and Assassins can compete in the end-game with the right build, but usually you only have one build with the right items to do so.

It's hard to address 'making sure some classes are not useless' when that is the equivalent of rebalancing the game to make sure everyone has multiple viable builds across the board. If we're talking about classes being useless, then I assure you, every class has a strong end-game build. Most just aren't as effective as Hammerdin, but that's both a blessing and a curse to the Paladin class who literally has no other viable end-game options to speak of. All the other builds are based on gimmicks that require right gearing (Dual Dream Holyshock) or gimmicks to fight Ubers (Smitadin).

I'd say balance has to be addressed on an Expansion level, with a team dedicated to a rework. That's the way balance mods have succeeded over time, they dedicate to a new style of play and run with it rather than trying to simply make things moderately fall in line. Most other mods that simply aim to add convenience rarely touch the balance at all.
    It happens one step at a time and a balanced game is a better game. Too ignore it all this time while making a remaster would be incompetence on Blizzards part. If they want to create a expansion with the new balances and features I would be fine with it. But if not, then I expect some buffs on weak skills and spells. Add some items or runewords if needed. I understand stuff like that takes work but it needs to happen one way or another. I dont think having more druid builds viable is not giong to make paladins cry foul. If so that is there problem... and tbh with the exception of hammerdin, most paladin builds are pretty viable and balanced to endgame - probably due to the fact they do not have many skills in the first place. 1 tree of skills and 2 trees of just passive bonuses.

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    A heavy nerf to ice orb sorc because it would piss off my friend
    Quote Originally Posted by Minikin View Post
    "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never....BURN IT"
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    You are kinda joe Roganing this topic. Hardly have any actual knowledge other than what people have told you, and jumping into a discussion with people who have direct experience with it. Don't be Joe Rogan.

Quote Originally Posted by Better View Post
    1-3 I agree with
    4 is like 10 things in one. Searchable stash would be nice, we already know they've improved the character sheet to show more. I don't actually care about the rest of that though. Also why is chat, and saved chat separate?
    5. Um, no? They even said making it come to consoles (the only place split screen would have a chance at working) they just are tricking the game into thinking you're playing with M+KB. So this likely wouldn't function.
    6. Why? This seems so niche.
    7. Again, why? Just stream the game if you want people to watch it?
    8. Why are we changing the difficulty now?? Just give me D2 with small QoL upgrades, a fullscreen mode that doesn't freak my computer out, and good FPS. Then I'm happy.
    9. Just say you're willing to help in a public lobby?
    Regarding your whys:

These things are keeping in the spirit of the *original* value add of Blizzard games back in the 1990s. Blizzard separated itself from the pack by offering bleeding-edge social tools. I think a true remaster needs to have bleeding-edge social tools for 2021. So while these are additions, it kinda needs them for the game to behave as it originally did. It needs to amaze you with new social features.

When you originally thought of D2, you thought of how social it was (for its time). If you just copy the old game into today's world, it doesn't have the same feel because you aren't amazed by the social aspect. You are trying to copy the feel that drew you in more than the actual game byte by byte.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Regarding your whys:

These things are keeping in the spirit of the *original* value add of Blizzard games back in the 1990s. Blizzard separated itself from the pack by offering bleeding-edge social tools. I think a true remaster needs to have bleeding-edge social tools for 2021. So while these are additions, it kinda needs them for the game to behave as it originally did. It needs to amaze you with new social features.

When you originally thought of D2, you thought of how social it was (for its time). If you just copy the old game into today's world, it doesn't have the same feel because you aren't amazed by the social aspect. You are trying to copy the feel that drew you in more than the actual game byte by byte.
    Those features seem rather pointless though. Why would you USE observer mode? What benefit does it bring over something like a livestream? I don't think Diablo 2 is about to become an E-sport, which is typically the reason to include a mode like that, to get an overview of the map from neither player's perspective, but that seems like it could be massively exploited to effectively map hack in D2?

Picture in picture also is a very strange niche thing to ask for. Typically in D2 you aren't TOO far away from your allies. These are technically social features, but they also seem to be features without a real purpose for the game itself. They could technically add webcam integration, and it would be a social feature, but the question is; Why do that? You can't justify a feature by simply saying "It's a social feature".

I am also curious how the remaster will handle ultra wide monitor resolution.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I am also curious how the remaster will handle ultra wide monitor resolution.
    That's an actual nice question. If core mechanics are still in place, higher resolutions will behave like a "zoomed" version because the area where AI actually is active and reacts to the player is very limited. Mods on the original that increase the resolution show that perfectly - all action happens in the middle of the screen and you can see monsters standing still all around.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

That's an actual nice question. If core mechanics are still in place, higher resolutions will behave like a "zoomed" version because the area where AI actually is active and reacts to the player is very limited. Mods on the original that increase the resolution show that perfectly - all action happens in the middle of the screen and you can see monsters standing still all around.
    Well a few factors come to mind because of the aggro range you mentioned; firstly I am curious if they will expand the threat range monsters would pick up on your character actions (which would change the game fundamentally). Secondly, if there is no effective increase to the threat range monsters aggro if then the players can see these enemies will we be able to off-screen kill with relative ease?

I am thinking of Strafe/Charged Bolt/FO/BS type skills. Which is a little less like edge casting Hydras or CE. That would also change the way some of these skills behave in relation to the monster density. Perhaps it wouldn't apply so severely in all areas of the game, but Mount Arreat or the desert would be significant area changes when you play in the "zoomed out" view. Arcane Sanctuary would be a different experience as well.

One of the reasons D2 became unplayable to me was because both my gaming monitors are large ultra wides and my main hub is a 50 inch WS. You can't play the original game at all on these screens.

But unless D2R has an isolated window for the game I am not sure how this is gonna work out. My fear is that it will use the useless border space some of the older GOG games use where a portion of the screen is just overlaid on the game window. Which I could have done anyway and is of no help to me.

I have questions, Blizzard.

A lowered, less criminal price would be a nice start.

Nobody reasonably expects anything from Blizzard anymore. But that is mostly due to incompetence (see WC3R). New content for Diablo 2 doesn't magically turn the game into not being Diablo 2. There are some very major balance problems that will be cropping up and I fully expect Blizzard to address that. But they probably wont because of laziness. And as with expansions generally are from legacy games, they would partition the player base who want too keep playing the original LoD. Besides Classic isn't going anywhere. Most of my ideas are changes for the better.
    Every time Blizzard does something that you want its because they are lazy and incompetent huh.

I'm gonna take a wild guess that you dont work in HR.

- - - Updated - - -

i'm pretty sure they are going to address that for balance reasons. Even though it would be quite nice to basicly be able to see an entire map all at once ^^