Page 34 of 41 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nynax View Post
    Just my 2¢: After thinking about the issue of "banning" hate speech vs allowing free speech I think whether or not something can actually be considered hate speech is all down to context. "Hate speech" can't be just a single word, but defined as statements of violence or encouraging violence towards a group of people by nature of some generalizing characteristic.

Examples pulled from the article
    Not hate speech: "Beat the shit out of this f*****."
    Why: Because the context of the insult references a video game boss, not a person.

Hate speech: "Blizzard employees are literally all n*****s who should be raped to death."
    why: Because a racial slur is being used combined with the encouragement for others to commit violence.

Unfortunately current culture loathes the time it takes to establish context, however I think the red line should always be drawn at violent statements.
    you mean there is nuance and simply saying a word doesnt make you a racist? who woulda gussed. i though xzibit hated all black people.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Yawn, another weak defense of bigotry. If someone is a bigot in their private life they are still a bigot. Trying to hide it to the public doesn't make them a better person.
    Oh get off your high horse and trying to judge someone. Don't pretend you a saint. I bet you do a lot of stuff in your private life that you would be ashamed of if the world knew about it. No one is condoning racism here but things that are private don't need to be shared for the whole world. You have a problem with the person, cut them off from your life. This is social media and mob justice.

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    So you speak in words I will believe even though they don't exist when you yourself believe that words can't convey a belief. Weird right? So to your friends and family you won't use hate speech? So why get all up in arms about being told not to use hate speech? If they have a basic understand of what words mean won't they also know what hate speech means? And thus it must exist since your family knows it?

Or could it be you are the only one that doesn't know definitions and meanings of words despite the rest of us here on the forums and your family getting it?
    i cannot help you any further. lmfao you just keep being your hilarious self. i will continue to use any word i like whenever i want to and if someone gets offended, they can cry themselves to sleep over it

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    I know they are racist trash... and you keep defending them.
    Are you hating on people here because of their views?
    Hi

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    Yes but what does your stand amount to other than just being able to tell yourself and tell others you "stood against it." Seems more like an ego booster at that point?
    So the alternative is to do nothing? To let people get an ego boost just because no one stops them from being hateful? Hate speech shouldn't be tolerated. Period. It isn't about ego but about trying to stop hate speech in any form. Weird right? Just like you being here isn't about a power trip or ego right? Oh wait you've admitted as much that you are only here to boost your ego and point out people on power trips or those that ineffective losers. Weird huh? The insults you keep hurling apply equally to you.

The only real difference is you've stated you are proud to use hate speech.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

this just in:
    people in an online game in 2021 talk the same way they did in the time of xbox live

Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    Its interesting how the reddit post is locked now. I was going to go on there and tell about how I saw this very thing happen in many guilds throughout my time in WoW. I remember being in the guild War Ensemble - Illidan US for about a month during BC before I left it. I saw in guild chat and raid chat and heard over voice chat racial slurs not only from the GM Troxed but most of the officers and many guild members. The same thing for homophobic slurs. A pattern I noticed was how every single raid night I developed a huge headache while raiding and it lasted for a good 2-3 hours AFTER the raid was over and I had logged for the night. I was taking Tylenol after every raid. I had anxiety that started about 30 minutes prior to the raid starting. I lasted just shy of a month in the guild and the final straw came one night during our Kael'thas fight in Tempest Keep when Troxed was going off on people for dying. He was blaming others for HIS death and when someone called him out for his death coming from his own mistakes, he simply kicked them from the guild and booted them from the voice chat (don't remember if it was TS or vent). We wiped another 3-4 times and each time he blew up in his usual fashion (Google Troxed soundboard if you ever want to get a feel for how raiding was with him keeping in mind that is only small soundbites of what was a 3-5 hour 2-3 days per week raid environment). I got tired of hearing his screaming, cussing, and slurs so I just went off on him. I told him off in voice chat, /gquit in the middle of me talking, and left the raid group. While all of that was going on, I whispered a friend of mine asking if I could invite him to a group so I could convert it to a raid. He said yes so I just sat there in Tempest Keep dead without releasing just so they couldn't bring in a replacement to finish the raid that night. Yes I was being petty and vindictive but I had had enough. I stayed there for a good 90 minutes before some Blizzard GM ported me to the gates of Org out of nowhere. To this day that pisses me off because the GM had no right to do that. The raid ID was something I was saved to and I had every right to be inside that raid instance as much as they did. During those 90 minutes they said homophobic shit to me in TK general chat, in whispers, and in /say close to my body and kept talking about me in voice chat. The most ironic thing is they didn't even realize I was still in the voice chat for a good 45 minutes before they kicked me out of it. That was the day I decided to never do "hardcore" raiding ever again. I have been in several other guilds since then but now have been part of a great guild since MOP. The sad thing is the use of racial and homophobic slurs is common in most guilds. The ones that don't put up with it is the minority. What's even sadder is allowing this seems to be the rule while not putting up with it is the exception.
    thats a big wall of "my feefee's were hurt". get over it lol you did the right thing by leaving, cause my god, ive been in some guilds with similar people like you in this post, and their cry baby shit was super annoying to hear.
    Last edited by The Oblivion; 2021-02-27 at 12:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NordWitcher View Post
    Oh get off your high horse and trying to judge someone. Don't pretend you a saint. I bet you do a lot of stuff in your private life that you would be ashamed of if the world knew about it. No one is condoning racism here but things that are private don't need to be shared for the whole world. You have a problem with the person, cut them off from your life. This is social media and mob justice.
    Plenty of people are condoning racism, and some are even admitting to being racists, themselves.

They got outed, and that's what free speech is all about. They were free to say those things, and others were free to let others know what they said.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Council View Post
    if people are being racist then they should be punished.
    What sort of punishment? Or did you perhaps mean that they should get help to get rehabilitated? If someone kills someone in my country, they're sentenced to jail for rehabilitation. Are you saying that if someone is racist, they shouldn't be given that sentence - they should get something that is meant solely for punishement?

And if so, again, what punishment would be suitable?
    Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Asrialol View Post
    Are you hating on people here because of their views?
    I have no problem hating racist shitbags.

Feel free to judge me accordingly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Plenty of people are condoning racism, and some are even admitting to being racists, themselves.

They got outed, and that's what free speech is all about. They were free to say those things, and others were free to let others know what they said.
    Free speech is about getting outed?
    Hi

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Oblivion View Post
    you mean there is nuance and simply saying a word doesnt make you a racist? who woulda gussed. i though xzibit hated all black people.
    How can their be nuance if words are words? Weird how any time it supports your argument you say that words are not just words.

- - - Updated - - -

i cannot help you any further. lmfao you just keep being your hilarious self. i will continue to use any word i like whenever i want to and if someone gets offended, they can cry themselves to sleep over it
    Right. We get you are proud to use hate speech. That still doesn't make you right in any fashion. It just makes you a terrible person.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Sure, they said something, and others are also free to say things.

There's no government censorship. The government is not punishing them or restricting their speech.

This is a bunch of dudes saying racist shit, and other dudes pointing out that those dudes are saying racist shit. Everyone is exercising their free speech.

How can their be nuance if words are words? Weird how any time it supports your argument you say that words are not just words.

- - - Updated - - -

Right. We get you are proud to use hate speech. That still doesn't make you right in any fashion. It just makes you a terrible person.
    only to the uneducated.

15+ Year Old Account
    thats a big wall of "my feefee's were hurt". get over it lol you did the right thing by leaving, cause my god, ive been in some guilds with similar people like you in this post, and their cry baby shit was super annoying to hear.
    So what you are saying is you are a snowflake that couldn't handle a few people being critical of you? Lol. It is all starting to make sense now.

according to machismo, you are now a racist, congrats.
    I suppose life will go on. I can only imagine the greatest attack this individual could bring against me would fall short of even being noticed.

15+ Year Old Account
    What sort of punishment? Or did you perhaps mean that they should get help to get rehabilitated? If someone kills someone in my country, they're sentenced to jail for rehabilitation. Are you saying that if someone is racist, they shouldn't be given that sentence - they should get something that is meant solely for punishement?
    Semantics and you know it. Being sent to jail for rehabilitation is still a punishment. It is weird that you somehow make a difference when ti comes to hate speech.

So what you are saying is you are a snowflake that couldn't handle a few people being critical of you? Lol. It is all starting to make sense now.
    being annoyed at crying toddlers is not "being unable to handle it". i can handle it just fine. but my god was it more fun without them whimpering in voice comms.

So the alternative is to do nothing? To let people get an ego boost just because no one stops them from being hateful? Hate speech shouldn't be tolerated. Period. It isn't about ego but about trying to stop hate speech in any form. Weird right? Just like you being here isn't about a power trip or ego right? Oh wait you've admitted as much that you are only here to boost your ego and point out people on power trips or those that ineffective losers. Weird huh? The insults you keep hurling apply equally to you.

The only real difference is you've stated you are proud to use hate speech.
    But you're not stopping anyone by just saying "Racism bad."

And I don't think anyone is getting an ego boost just because there isn't someone like you around to tell them that, either. Not sure what the desperate "no u"s are for, though. They really don't amount to anything.

15+ Year Old Account
    The freedom to say something doesn't mean the freedom to face no consequences. Weird how people always want Freedom when it only lets them do something with no repercussions.