Poll: ?

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

WoW's gameplay loop is entirely designed around novelty and reset patches

What do you think about it?

There is non existant dynamic and social driven gameplay (apart from RP imaginary and pretend scenarios)
    Do you enjoy this system or you wished there was something new to this formula?

10+ Year Old Account
    I prefer the classic style of gameplay -- TBC and Wrath, so that's what I am excited for. The modern loop is not my thing. Too many systems and daily/weekly incentives.

WoW is a theme park mmo, and it's successful like that.

I personally enjoy sandbox MMOs, like EVE Online for example, but i wouldn't see that sort of player-driven content to work on WoW, a different beast entirely.

It's also severely punishing to hop on a player-driven sandbox because of how far ahead others are, whereas on WoW, you get a hard-reset every expansion, and a soft-reset every patch, making it great for players to start playing, or returning, not feeling way behind the curve.

So yea, as long as WoW keeps the multiple new rides - big patches (raid tiers, dungeon, story advancement) per expansion, and a new expansion every 2~ years, it will stay healthy for a long while, especially since nothing that might rival it is even on the horizons\plans.
    Last edited by hulkgor; 2021-02-26 at 10:37 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Something new would be nice to shake things up a bit. Not logging into the game anymore outside of raid times. Nothing fun to do.

Definitely need a change from the legion design we've had for the last 3 expansions. It's getting old and boring now. New expansions are feeling like big patches because the design is still the same.

Hope they're working on some new stuff for whatever comes in the next expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Art the Clown View Post
    Definitely need a change from the legion design we've had for the last 3 expansions. It's getting old and boring now. New expansions are feeling like big patches because the design is still the same.

Hope they're working on some new stuff for whatever comes in the next expansion.
    Yeah, people liked legion because of the novelty of it. For what they were doing it was a very ambitious expansion. You really can't say that about BfA or to some degree shadowlands. (Torghast and the Maw are a step in the right direction of trying new things). It really irked me at blizzconline that one of their main selling points for this next patch was "zomg new mounts to farm!!!".

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hulkgor View Post
    WoW is a theme park mmo, and it's successful like that.

I personally enjoy sandbox MMOs, like EVE Online for example, but i wouldn't see that sort of player-driven content to work on WoW, a different beast entirely.

It's also severely punishing to hop on a player-driven sandbox because of how far ahead others are, whereas on WoW, you get a hard-reset every expansion, and a soft-reset every patch, making it great for players to start playing, or returning, not feeling way behind the curve.

So yea, as long as WoW keeps the multiple new rides - big patches (raid tiers, dungeon, story advancement) per expansion, and a new expansion every 2~ years, it will stay healthy for a long while, especially since nothing that might rival it is even on the horizons\plans.
    And that's literally EXACTLY why WoW is so extremely popular and now, easy to get into. Which is great.

Check out the directors cut of my project SCHISM, a festival winning short film
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiHNTS-vyHE

My entire engagement with WoW is based around “effortconomical” dismissal of gear progression. There is literally no point in bending over backwards for “another 1% performance” when there is an expiry date on the relevance of that performance, and in that headspace I can stop at “good enough is good enough,” enjoy an army of alts, and truly invest in the game.

And since the whole structure is built to minimize the idea of “starting the game at the wrong time,” and since that minimizing is integral to the game’s growth, I feel pretty safe betting the farm on this pattern never changing.

“Numbers” must be inevitable and content access guaranteed in order to have a functional sales pitch for new blood, and so invested veterans like me can safely focus on what truly matters: cosmetic character expression!

i dont like it
    at start of of xpac i thought i would like the vault, but after ive gained alot of gear its just very similar to the bfa vault in terms of feeling
    and the thing is i really WANT to play wow outside of raid logging but theres nothing to do, worth doing
    this is a point i made before the xpac came out nobody will do content for fluff things anymore like they did in wotlk when mounts and pets were alot rarer, now its all about player power, and frankly it seems the legion/bfa loot systems gave people a reason to keep playing, hell atleast when you did islands to get your next artifact power level,you were playing the game for something that progressed your character

i liked in vanilla that specs were seriously taken care of and focused. pvp was better back then because of this.
    “Choose a job you love and you'll never have to work a day in your life” “Logic will get you from A to Z; Imagination will get you everywhere.”

Pretty much sick of it by now. Get a good three or so weeks of entertainment out of an expansion then hit a wall where you stop being able to progress smoothly. And the only progression in WoW now is iLevel which serves only to enable further gains in iLevel which are only good for increasing your iLevel.

Anyone who has never played GW2 really should give it a try as it has at least 100x as much content as WoW IMHO. So many things to do, so many goals that require progression in their own right (unlocking each of the mounts, legendary crafting, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by MMOTherapist View Post

There is non existant dynamic and social driven gameplay (apart from RP imaginary and pretend scenarios)
    Nope, the game changed to be this way because Blizzard gave up trying to get the majority to get out of HC dungeons.

They tried different systems up to MoP, they saw nothing works, and then gave up and simply turned the game to what it is.

Gear Reset/Catch up mechanics every 6 months/patch cycle basically to get people easy to return/catch up.

And its working, usually by patch X.2 it takes barely 2 weeks to get a freshly dinged character to be usable in HC raiding, same as BFA/Legion/WoD

its terrible,its all just throw away design all made to be easily changed or slightly altrered in next expansion,shame really with all that man power and wealth behind them,and a small indie company can come up with great simple ideas and sell 4 million copies in 2 weeks,blizz are stuck in a rut or unwilling to change.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the fact that you know your gear is going to be totally irrelevant within a certain time frame makes it not economical timewise to go for small minor upgrades that in previous expansions were totally worth it. Id rather either level an alt or lapse my sub for the time.

SL = BFA 2.0 = Legion 3.0

Spending more time creating systems than contents.

As someone with fresh memory of what the biggest complaint was during WOTLK, I'd say they're onto something with their current systems. I might not like it, but I'm not some authoritah on what the game should or shouldn't be...

Hoping that BfA was the peak of stupidity on systems though, but I've been proven wrong before.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MMOTherapist View Post

So many arm chair devs, Perhaps they should get together, build an MMO that would be Wow Killer and show Blizzard where they are wrong. Less Talk, more do.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    So many arm chair devs, Perhaps they should get together, build an MMO that would be Wow Killer and show Blizzard where they are wrong. Less Talk, more do.
    You don't need to be a chef to critique food.

Quote Originally Posted by natpick View Post
    its terrible,its all just throw away design all made to be easily changed or slightly altrered in next expansion,shame really with all that man power and wealth behind them,and a small indie company can come up with great simple ideas and sell 4 million copies in 2 weeks,blizz are stuck in a rut or unwilling to change.
    Yea, this makes absolute sense. /s

Let's try new shit on an established game with millions of players, and risk alienating most of them when shit hits the fan on trying different formulas. A quick reminder that BFA had a lot of 'new, original stuff' in the form of Warfronts and Island Expeditions, and they were very quickly dismissed as horrible features that the majority doesn't enjoy.

So, let's leave World of Warcraft away from new, innovative shit.

WoW is WoW. You play it for however long you want to, and if needed, quit and return at later patches, to a familiar formula. Not new concepts.

You can scratch your itch for new shit on other games, genres, etc. Let's not ruin WOW.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would like real player housing and a guild hall to chill with my homies fuck these covenants...and why didnt they add a cov recall
    "Voted Most Likely To Be Banned From The Forum."