Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MMOTherapist View Post
    Anyone have games like that?

My game has to be C9 (Continent of the Ninth)
    An instanced MMORPG with an amazing combat system that reminds me of my younger years when i used to draw stick figures fighting eachother in a piece of paper.
    The combat + combo system is amazing

I relogged and re-downloaded the game today, after many many years
    Last time i played was on Wrath of the Lich king when i was on the burnout phase of WoW.

This is the game's steam charts today:

Unfortunately, a lot of the unpopular games I liked have been shut down.

MMO: Chronicles of Spellborn
    MOBA: Deadbreed
    ARPG: Darkspore

Games as service needs to die; you deserve to have the game you bought. Server code should be made public when companies shut a game down...

Does Final Fantasy X-2 count?

Maybe not... It's a AAA mainstream title, I guess. But it still gets a lot more hate than it deserves.

i loved anthem. the idea of an iron man game (with good controls) is really good. i actually think anthem did a good job with flight controls. the issue with anthem was the stupid overheating mechanic and the horribly designed gameplay/endgame. i think anthem would've done much better if it went a monster hunter route. create boss fights with unique mechanics and you scavenge parts from them to craft new javelins. they could've made a fight where you fought a flying ice monster that completely got rid of the overheat mechanic and was done 100% in-flight.

anthem had such a solid base. it's what was built using that base that sucked.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh, a game that did just come to mind is Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin. I don't know if it is unpopular as much as there just has been practically no marketing around it, I only found out about it via a Nintendo article over 2 months after it was released on PC. I don't think I can really explain the game well because it combines two systems that I think of as being totally unrelated, and somehow they work together in a way that is really enjoyable. The game looks great and runs very well (I picked up the PC version for the significantly higher quality graphics, but I play it with the Switch controller cause it does play better with a controller).

Part of the game is action/sidescroller, the other part is a farming simulator.

The only warning I'd give is make sure you figure out whether or not you like the English VA for Sakuna, or if you're fine playing with alternate audio if you can't stand the English VA. I absolutely wouldn't have bought the game if Japanese audio hadn't been an option, because I personally can't stand the English VA for Sakuna (this is rather important since you're playing as Sakuna).
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

I kiss Co-op PvE games on the lips.

Earth Defense Force with a friend(s) is probably the best Co-op thing I've ever played. Shame it's not nearly as much fun alone and I don't like playing games with randoms. Add to that me being fucking autistic and not wanting to ask people to play it with me in case they don't like it. I just checked and the average player count on Steam is 500-ish in the past month so it's not totally dead I guess.

I do understand why it's not popular though; it's a lower-budget Japanese game with PS3-tier graphics, ported on PC with cringe-inducing English VA and kind of a slow buildup through the first missions that really sell the game short for what the later parts are in stupid-funness.
    If you think the game is shooting at giant ants with a bog-standard assault rifle all the way through instead of using an exoskeleton to carry heat-seeking missile batteries on your back, piloting flying Gatling-gun wielding mechs and calling in napalm airstrikes, satellite laser bombardment or ICBMs on city-block sized alien robots and godzilla-tier monsters, I don't blame you for refunding that $30 or whatever the game costs.

Fuck I really want to play some

Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    Back in the early xbox 360 days, I ran across a game Chromehounds and enjoyed it for many hours. I loved the possibilities of building the "mechs" and the different roles they can play in a team fight. Communication between squad mates was also tactically limited, the weight of your mech and whether you used treads, legs, etc all mattered.

It hardly held any ground in the online setting, I think it's reviews were mediocre but I do know why it never took off. The combat was just too slow for most people. I didn't mind it, but it was probably compared to Armored Core which was a fast paced mecha game.
    I loved Chromehounds. Artillery mechs were so cool. I loved the older Armored Core games, too, which were a lot slower paced than more recent entries.

I was just talking to someone about this recently, actually, but one of my favorite obscure games was Freedom Fighters. Super low budget, but awesome gameplay that I really haven't seen done in another game since. Kane and Lynch is the closest I can think of, and it wasn't exactly popular either.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Floofi View Post
    -Dante's Inferno. The level design and art direction looked amazing as you descended through the layers of Hell. Really wish they would port the game to newer consoles / make it backwards compatible, or at least port it to PC as it was a 360/PS3 game.

-Oneechanbara Z2 Chaos. Kinda cheating with this as I know why people dislike this game, but I feel like it was written off by most people simply by the bikini outfits and the early 360-era graphics.

-Metal Arms: Glitch in the System. Great weapons, vehicles, powerful neutral NPCs who you could take over with the Tether gun or attack so they roam around the map attacking anyone nearby. Some of the most fun multiplayer I've ever had.
    If I remember correctly Dantes Inferno was accused of being a God of War clone.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

I wouldn't say either one was unpopular, just not as popular as I thought they could have been:

Eternal Darkness - A Gamecube 3rd person action adventure mindfuck of a game that takes you through time, has you battle eldritch terrors, messes with your sanity (both the character you control and you as the player) and generally is just an incredibly unique experience. It had a ton of critical praise but less commercial success than it really should have for how cool it was.

Days Gone - It's not great. It doesn't do anything particularly cleverly, uniquely or add anything special to the genre, but I had more fun going through this game than I really thought I would have. One thing I guess it does well is give you a great feeling of riding a bike through a beautiful apocalypse. The story isn't amazing, but they way they breadcrumb it to you as you continue to play kept me invested. I couldn't exactly say why I enjoyed it as much as I did, but I really did. The reviews were mostly lukewarm, and while I get the criticism, I think it's a case of the whole adding up to being more than the sum of the parts.

Quote Originally Posted by apustus View Post
    I kiss Co-op PvE games on the lips.

Earth Defense Force with a friend(s) is probably the best Co-op thing I've ever played. Shame it's not nearly as much fun alone and I don't like playing games with randoms. Add to that me being fucking autistic and not wanting to ask people to play it with me in case they don't like it. I just checked and the average player count on Steam is 500-ish in the past month so it's not totally dead I guess.

I do understand why it's not popular though; it's a lower-budget Japanese game with PS3-tier graphics, ported on PC with cringe-inducing English VA and kind of a slow buildup through the first missions that really sell the game short for what the later parts are in stupid-funness.
    If you think the game is shooting at giant ants with a bog-standard assault rifle all the way through instead of using an exoskeleton to carry heat-seeking missile batteries on your back, piloting flying Gatling-gun wielding mechs and calling in napalm airstrikes, satellite laser bombardment or ICBMs on city-block sized alien robots and godzilla-tier monsters, I don't blame you for refunding that $30 or whatever the game costs.
    I'm so looking forward to EDF6 and am also curious about that EDF: World Brothers game... I'm a Wing Diver main though and really neglect Air Raider and Fencer. But yeah, that's definitely a series that I'd say falls under this topic. It's basically a B-movie as a game.. and while excessive Armor grinding for certain Inferno stages is something I wish they'd adjust (I haven't beaten everything on Inferno, but maybe like ~80% of the stages and most of the rest on Hardest; my WD only has like 2k HP), overall I do love the series.

As for other games/series to add to this topic, which haven't been mentioned.. hmm. I rather enjoyed Dungeon Defenders 2 for one. If we're counting single-player indie games, Rabi-Ribi is a favourite that probably few have heard of, and if we're counting very dead franchises, I'm sorta still wishing for a revival of Virtual ON.

Dragon Age 2, probably the best thing about it was the gathering system which they really should have continued into DA:I.

You found something out in the world and then you just knew where it was and it counted as the resource itself - although the idea behind it in DA2 was that you were a businessman and had employees getting it for you.

They could have majorly fleshed that particular system out for DA:I to reflect being the head of a complex organization and how your crafting and gathering would be handled by the members of your Inquisition.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    Does Final Fantasy X-2 count?

Maybe not... It's a AAA mainstream title, I guess. But it still gets a lot more hate than it deserves.
    It deserves more hate.

Fzero, Tiger Woods Golf, Mike Tysons Punchout, Starfox. Some of the best gameplay ever, nothing out like them now. Based on quality, Persona series punches way above its sales would suggest. Fire Emblem too.

Diablo 3 is fun and rewarding, I don’t understand why people hate on it so much. It it’s probably one of my favorite games.
    Last edited by Zenfoldor; 2021-02-27 at 08:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by aceperson View Post
    i loved anthem. the idea of an iron man game (with good controls) is really good. i actually think anthem did a good job with flight controls. the issue with anthem was the stupid overheating mechanic and the horribly designed gameplay/endgame. i think anthem would've done much better if it went a monster hunter route. create boss fights with unique mechanics and you scavenge parts from them to craft new javelins. they could've made a fight where you fought a flying ice monster that completely got rid of the overheat mechanic and was done 100% in-flight.

anthem had such a solid base. it's what was built using that base that sucked.
    I also love anthem, but disagree on the gameplay being bad, I think it had the best gameplay of any game I have played in the alst 10 years, the Colossus was extremely fluid and felt natural to me I loved the game, But the real issue is there was just no content in the end. Which is unfortunate as it could with some polish and enough content like 5-8 more dungeons and a raid or 2 absolutely been a competitor to Destiny or the Division.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenfoldor View Post
    Diablo 3 is fun and rewarding, I don’t understand why people hate on it so much. It it’s probably one of my favorite games.
    Just a note, Diablo 3 isn't unpopular, it's more popular than Diablo 1+2 combined, multiple times over. The reason people appear to hate on it so much is because it was different to D2 in ways the hardcore D2 players (the people still playing a 12 year old game) didn't like, so they whined, a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    Just a note, Diablo 3 isn't unpopular, it's more popular than Diablo 1+2 combined, multiple times over.
    It's hard to gauge popularity objectively, and compare it across larger time periods. Absolute numbers of sale for example are skewed because the target demographics are different. I.e., the total number of people playing video games keeps on growing, so sales numbers compared across larger periods of time (like several decades) aren't really as comparable as you think; that's also why so many of the best-selling video games are quite recent. But going by percentage of video-game playing audience is also problematic, because the first ever video games would inevitably win (having 100% of the audience).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AcidicSyn View Post
    Heroes of Might and Magic (I liked 3 best and wish someone would remaster it, but the franchise as a whole). Someone above said kings Bounty was like that so I'm gonna need to try those out soon.

Dragon Age Inquisition - I liked it, sue me. Though I absolutely mod the table to remove the time gating crap.

Mass Effect Andromeda- I loved the combat in that game
    calling homm 3 unpopular is heresy !

jokes aside, the entire might & magic series ( excluding 9 for obvious reasons ) is golden. but unpopular ? i don't think so, they rocked the gaming community back in their prime. now ? you can definitely call them unpopular now.
    war does not determine who is right, only who is left.

I have very fond memories of Drake of the 99 Dragons. Played it as a kid and it felt, well, pretty damn fun. Bad controls wasn't that far off from other games from that period of the time (and were heavenly in comparison to stuff like Tomb Raider: AoD from the same year), shooting and bullet time was fun, the simple mechanic of using different weapons in each hand also added some meat to the game. The graphics didn't date well, but which game from 2003 looks good now - in fact the fake-celshading that was used in Drake didn't look half bad at the time.

It's only later that I found out that this game is in many peoples "top 10 worst games ever" lists

Sacred/ Sacred 2. Thousand times better RPG than Diablo, sadly only mostly known in Germany.

There's a ton of great games that never got popular. Being a great game isn't enough. People tend to gravitate towards great games that have some sort of value-add.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Starscape - SPAZ, before SPAZes. Soundtrack is rad, my late father just sat next to me and listened to the music. Graphics are a bit dated, as well as game systems, but it still holds value to this day. Good ol' days, played it when I was around fourteen.

SPAZ - Self-aware comedy 2D space shooter. Really a gem.

Starsector - New and fresh take of 2D space shooters. A diamond. Tho risen a bit in popularity when Seth made a video about it.

Nova Drift - Modern and hipster take on 2D space shooters. Ain't that expensive and active development.

Eufloria - Strange and fun take on strategy games. Best played on touch devices. Lore is rather interesting, but not obvious.

Disciples 2 - One of the best TBS games I ever played.

Super Robot Wars OG1/2 - GBA games. Its popular in Japan, but not in the rest of the world. Modding community is almost non-existent, compared to stuff like Pokemon. SRWJ got an english translation, I am very grateful for that. Wish we got SRWW full english translation patch.

Banana Prince - NES Gem. NES has so many gems. But this is my diamond!
    Last edited by SirFinlot; 2021-02-27 at 08:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    Just a note, Diablo 3 isn't unpopular, it's more popular than Diablo 1+2 combined, multiple times over. The reason people appear to hate on it so much is because it was different to D2 in ways the hardcore D2 players (the people still playing a 12 year old game) didn't like, so they whined, a lot.
    This is utterly debunked by the simple fact that Blizzard cancelled the second xpac. If D3 was a hit, they absolutely sell everyone the second xpac. D3 sucked and it had died before they finished the second xpac, so they released the content they had made for the second xpac as a downloadable content pack, then fired the team and shuffled D3 off to the legacy department.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.