Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    To answer the op; shitty writing.
    That's the short answer.
    The long answer is...far more involved. But a writer would have to examine "being." We are so familiar with the "beingness" of human and those inner qualities it has become a matter of fact. And the poor writer can't have you relating to "other" being without projecting "human" being.

Christie Golden can only write humans so everyone must turn human. Gotta sip that human potential juice.

It's racist towards all other races though. First neutering the Night Elves from Warcraft 3 to WoW. Now Orcs aren't allowed to act Orcish. What's next? Why judge them on real life human behaviour? It's a game, it's fantasy. Just enjoy a different reality.

It's just stupid to judge a fictional race compared with a real life human. We don't escape reality to face the same shit all over again. Why bring real life shit into this?

I know they're just fictional races but the behaviour to rewrite their culture and society to be more human is showing real racist tendencies by the writers. Every WoW race must be like humans just like everyone in real life must be leftist like Blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by Overlordd View Post
    Holy projection there, you can't like things in a game because you automatically assume people would tie that to real life? What the fuck are you even talking about. You know people can divide fantasy and real life right?

ITS A FUCKING VIDEO GAME FOR A REASON.

- - - Updated - - -

Europeans were once savages themselves during the time of Rome. Stop with this nonsense.
    Oof, you really should have reflected closer on what you write.

You: it's a videogame and that I should stop taking it seriously.

You in the next quote: seriously discussing the historical merits of a videogame you just told me to stop taking seriously.

Someone just got triggered hard and is most likely thinking that I called them a <bigot> for liking the Orcs. I never did. I did imply that people who do were okay with <bigoted> representation since they're willing to whitewash them away as having never happened.

And reality has always affected fiction and vise versa, even if the author was unaware of this. The first Godzilla movie is an allegory of the atomic bomb. An unstoppable force of nature that destroys everything in its path. A Song of Ice and Fire is based on real historical events with the rivalry between the Starks and the Lannisters being based on the real historical events of The War of the Roses. The Red Wedding was likewise inspired by a real historical event.

Also, the people of Rome were themselves Europeans, except those that came from the African regions. Byzantine was built on the European side of the Bosphorus. It's telling that you only call everyone north of Rome Europeans. Makes me think that you think people that are white make up Europe since Rome as in The Roman Empire stretched a good deal north.

There are no human standards, there are standards.
    There are no human morals, there are morals.

Morals, human rights, and what's wrong and what's right are not subjective. It's not "20th century morals" or "15th century morals". It's morals. The issue is that in the past we weren't civilized enough to appreciate that. Some of you still aren't, apparently.

Some people just want to be dicks in-game, presumably cause society doesn't allow them to be in real life, so they pretend that morality is somehow subjective and you can go out of its frames and not be a bad individual. No, you can't.
    Last edited by Azerate; 2021-02-27 at 05:37 PM.
    Armory Link
    Mount Collection

Everything wrong with gamers in one sentence:
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavox View Post
    I want Activision-Blizzard to burn, but for crimes against gaming, not because they got me too'd.

Quote Originally Posted by Daronokk View Post
    Every WoW race must be like humans just like everyone in real life must be leftist like Blizzard.
    Your human bias is showing. But I'll bite;

How could a society with a prosperous slave industry be presented in a positive light by the very society that created the institution? (writer David Eddings had a curious way of doing it, but it wasn't fleshed out enough to me)

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd say their society is just evolving... The strength and honor bullshit has lead them down the road of attempting genocide not once, but 4 times, and on more than one occasion going down that road was assisting someone who was trying to essentially destroy the universe (when acting in the interests of both Sargeras and Sylvanas).

In light of that, it only makes sense for a society to realize they fucked up spectacularly, are flawed to their core, and try to change... I'd have expected it after the first time, but, you know, better late than never.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

10+ Year Old Account
    An Orc's culture was always about strength and "honor" on the battlefield. So it would make sense in Orcish culture that they'd often clash and that the most dominant brute Orc would often take lead.

Yet it's somehow an issue with players. You can play a noble human for all I care, but why are there so many people insisting that other races need to live up to Human standards in terms of culture and morals?
    Thrall is a orc raised by humans and his clan was soft for orcish standards.....what the fuck you though he was trying to do to the horde when he reformed it?
    Last edited by Dellis0991; 2021-02-27 at 06:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DesmondCreighton View Post
    You seriously haven't realized? That's the entire point of WoW. Every expansion ends in "Oh wow looks like despite our petty differences we have a common enemy and need to unite, because we're stronger that way" like some idiotic Disney movie on repeat.
    Probably shouldn't tell you that's been the plot since WC3: RoC.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Quaade View Post
    Oof, you really should have reflected closer on what you write.

You: it's a videogame and that I should stop taking it seriously.

You in the next quote: seriously discussing the historical merits of a videogame you just told me to stop taking seriously.

Someone just got triggered hard and is most likely thinking that I called them a <bigot> for liking the Orcs. I never did. I did imply that people who do were okay with <bigoted> representation since they're willing to whitewash them away as having never happened.

And reality has always affected fiction and vise versa, even if the author was unaware of this. The first Godzilla movie is an allegory of the atomic bomb. An unstoppable force of nature that destroys everything in its path. A Song of Ice and Fire is based on real historical events with the rivalry between the Starks and the Lannisters being based on the real historical events of The War of the Roses. The Red Wedding was likewise inspired by a real historical event.

Also, the people of Rome were themselves Europeans, except those that came from the African regions. Byzantine was built on the European side of the Bosphorus. It's telling that you only call everyone north of Rome Europeans. Makes me think that you think people that are white make up Europe since Rome as in The Roman Empire stretched a good deal north.
    I was merely referring to the barbarians from Germania, you make a whole thesis about it.
    You instead bring politics into every fucking corner, it's becoming tiresome. Go back to your echochamber on Reddit. I'm European myself, and while I recognize Rome as Europeans, at that time, a vast majority of Europe was uncivilized lion cloth wearing pillaging barbarians.

But here you are making strawmans using buzzwords like you think you own the place. Seriously though, go back. No one needs to hear about thoughts about history presenting to you through your marxist teacher lmao.

I think they had to build a baseline for the Horde to bring the various races towards in order for the group to continue making sense. I mean, if you look at the original Horde, it was made up of:

Bloodthirsty warriors driven by honourable combat
    Shadowy voodoo practitioners that struck from the shadows and ate their enemies
    Hippie cow people
    Evil undead humans who wanted everyone to be undead

Those ideologies are all over the place. The way they look at the world around them is completely different to one another. For the Horde, 0 of the 4 races had common ground, whereas with the Alliance, 3 of the 4 races totally did. Humans, short humans and shorter humans had a ton in common. Only the tall, pointy eared humans were the outlier.

I think Blizzard had to modify the personalities of those Horde races in order to create a sense of unity so that there was a reason for them to continue sticking together. They needed to have some common ground in order for them not to splinter apart right away.

10+ Year Old Account
    because they are all a miserable pile of secrets
    "Law and Order", lots of places have had that, Russia, North Korea, Saddam's Iraq.
    Laws can be made to enforce order of cruelty and brutality.
    Equality and Justice, that is how you have peace and a society that benefits all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably because the writer's changed and have different priorities towards their chosen favourites, problem is their favourites are individual characters rather than races and their priorities are making them as insufferable as possible so everything else gets regulated to a standard set of characterisitation and that standard ends up with everything just being some variation of regular humans because that is all they can be motivated to write. It's no secret that Metzen loved the Orcs and Thrall was his pet project and they made sure they were completely different from humans, similarly Tauren and Trolls were done to a lesser effect and the undead not just being dead humans and it could be argued that humans, dwarfs and gnomes all suffered by just being depicted as bland people races who had some quirks and the Night Elves being completely reset as a race from Warcraft 3 as a result. Then new playable races got more unique characterisation than the base races until MoP where they started introducing "Human Potential" as a means to give some character to Dwarves and Night Elves by the generosity of Stormwind Humans just being the greatest thing all of a sudden despite it ignoring all the context and history leading up to that expansion straight up contradicting that notion and since then the writers seem to have just adopted that as the standard going forward and have even become more invested after Metzen retired back during late WoD/early Legion dev. Probably because he can't point out how stupid it is.
    Elune: "My sister needed Anima so I let my favoured people die. What is this 'Maw' you speak of?"
    Daily reminder that Steam has never had a monopoly on PC Gaming, don't mistake age and popularity for domination.
    Because people don't understand words: Forced and Necessity

There are plenty of examples throughout real-life human history that can be scrutinized that took the bad with the good (as most would perceive such today)
    How many thought ancient Sparta was awesome? And it was if you were Spartan. If you were "Helot" it wasn't.

Because today, the younger generation of Millennials, those who Blizzard keep hiring, can't stop comparing monster races to POC, especially black folks.

I mean just look at Wizards of the Coast. They felt the need to say their Half Orcs and Drow Elves are negative stereotypes of black people lmao and decided to write out the "negative" bonuses out of their rule sets.

I wonder when this generation of subhumans will stop equating monsters to real life people..

We live in a time where people have obsessed over identity harder than any other time. Of course this generation of soyboy devs are going to fill everything up with "wholesome, relatable quality" because apparently you cannot relate with something unless it's an emotional wreckage with human features. You know, as if we haven't been relating with dogs or other creatures for millennia.
    Last edited by Stardrift; 2021-02-27 at 06:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by username993720 View Post
    Actually, they saw themselves as more civilized and advanced than the Barbarians that surrounded them.

And, by the way, ancient Rome is portrayed by the Ogres of WoD. and they belong more with the Horde, than the Alliance. So, it still doesn't contradict what i said.
    So? That still doesn't take away that Orcs have some bias towards Germanic barbarians

According to Caesar, the Germanic tribes he encountered gave primacy to war, rather than to religion or domestic life. Their religion apparently lacked an organized priesthood and centered upon the veneration of nature, and Caesar suggested that the Germanic tribesmen devoted all of their energies to gaining renown in battle.

Caesar also describes the pastoral economy of the semi-nomadic Germanic tribes that he encountered across the Danubian frontier. Again, he highlighted the Germanic tribes’ single-minded focus on warfare, recording that-unlike the Romans-they eschewed both wealth and luxury, living off conquest and raiding. For Caesar, this warrior ethos made the Germanic tribes into formidable enemies, and he contrasted the military vigor of the Germanic tribes with that of the more civilized Celts.

According to Tacitus, the Germanic tribes chose their war chieftains according to their merit as military leaders and their feats of valor on the battlefield. Furthermore, these chieftains did not exercise arbitrary authority and ruled only so long as they led their people to victory.

For Tacitus, the secret to the Germanic tribes’ formidable military might was the cohesion of tribal society. The Roman author maintained that unlike the imperial legions of Rome, the Germanic war-bands were composed of clans and families, and their warriors fought alongside their own kinsmen, vying for their respect. In this warrior society, individuals sought the esteem of their peers through conspicuous displays of valor, each seeking to outdo the other in feats of bravery.

Quote Originally Posted by Stardrift View Post
    Because today, the younger generation of Millennials, those who Blizzard keep hiring, can't stop comparing monster races to POC, especially black folks. I mean just look at Wizards of the Coast. They felt the need to say their Half Orcs and Drow Elves are negative stereotypes of black people lmao and decided to write out the "negative" bonuses out of their rule sets. .
    And this proves an uncomfortable..oh-so-human perspective.

Could you move beyond that?

- - - Updated - - -

So? That still doesn't take away that Orcs have some bias towards Germanic barbarians According to Caesar, the .
    Take Julius with a grain of salt.

5+ Year Old Account
    Remember that trying to make connections to real life history and current events needs to stay tasteful/appropriate and not distract from the actual topic.
    Moderator of the General Off-Topic, Politics, Lore, and RP Forums
    "If you have any concerns, let me know via PM. I'll do my best to assist you."

Quote Originally Posted by Azerate View Post
    There are no human standards, there are standards.
    There are no human morals, there are morals.

Morals, human rights, and what's wrong and what's right are not subjective. It's not "20th century morals" or "15th century morals". It's morals. The issue is that in the past we weren't civilized enough to appreciate that. Some of you still aren't, apparently.

Some people just want to be dicks in-game, presumably cause society doesn't allow them to be in real life, so they pretend that morality is somehow subjective and you can go out of its frames and not be a bad individual. No, you can't.
    What even is this claim? Are implying that people in the 15th century had the same morals as people in the 20th century but they were just too stupid to live up to them? I'm very curious how you would defend this claim.
    The absolute state of Warcraft lore in 2021:
    Kyrians: We need to keep chucking people into the Maw because it's our job.
    Also Kyrians: Why is the Maw growing stronger despite all our efforts?

Quote Originally Posted by Nerovar View Post
    What even is this claim? Are implying that people in the 15th century had the same morals as people in the 20th century but they were just too stupid to live up to them? I'm very curious how you would defend this claim.
    History reveals that morality has it's own progression.

Quote Originally Posted by Itori View Post
    Aren’t most of the horde races aside from goblins and blood elves on the endangered species list? Theres not nearly enough of one to rival the population of say the humans or the dwarves so wouldn’t it be smarter to play nice and not kill each other or sacrifice each other?
    blood elves are deep in the endangered list too,they underwent an almost total genocide