Thread: Valheim

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    Also expect to die a ton to a good deal of BS while you are learning the game though. Take a ship to a far off land and die without setting up a portal? The game will basically tell you to start over since you can't get your stuff. Thankfully, there are cheats in the game, so you can really play it hard as you want.
    Things like these are why survival games literally always tell you to have backups of your equipment before going out and doing things like that. Valheim is no different in that regard. If you take all your best stuff with you on some dangerous trek, you get whatever's coming to you tbqh. Something something lack of preparation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryzeth View Post
    Things like these are why survival games literally always tell you to have backups of your equipment before going out and doing things like that. Valheim is no different in that regard. If you take all your best stuff with you on some dangerous trek, you get whatever's coming to you tbqh. Something something lack of preparation.
    One thing is for sure. Never land in swamp or plains if you dont have a portal near.

Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    Could definitely use a balancing patch and some QOL adjustments but it's overall a great game, but it's obviously designed for coop play, expect a ton of work if you play solo.

Also expect to die a ton to a good deal of BS while you are learning the game though. Take a ship to a far off land and die without setting up a portal? The game will basically tell you to start over since you can't get your stuff. Thankfully, there are cheats in the game, so you can really play it hard as you want.

Just build a raft and hoof it over to get your stuff. We had no swamp lands near us and had to boat it to one. Tried to set up a portal and got jumped. My buddy and I rafted back naked for over an hour. Got all our stuff back!

Tried to play it but the graphics are a deal breaker ... have no problems with them being cartoony but what's with the pixelated stuff ...

Part of my bias probably also comes as the first survival I tried and really liked it was Ark Survival Evolved which has some pretty good graphics even though poorly optimized, but also with better gameplay.

10+ Year Old Account
    ...almost at 20 hours in and still havent gotten to 2nd boss. Those ancient seeds are a pain to find ( only found 2 nests, none of the chests Ive opened or the shamanes / brutes Ive killed have dropped them). Not to mention Elder is actually located a very long way away form me and I cant even boat to it because im somehow landlocked (the big sea area doesnt have an exit). I think my seed might just suck.

Honestly one of the most fun games I've played in the recent decade with my friends. I don't really need WoW anymore.

I look forward to weekends now to hangout with my friends on this, discovering new landmass, monsters, craft recipes and whatnot. We are taking it slow so there's a ton left to do

The roadmap seems great as well. I'm looking forward to their updates and continued improvement to the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    ...almost at 20 hours in and still havent gotten to 2nd boss. Those ancient seeds are a pain to find ( only found 2 nests, none of the chests Ive opened or the shamanes / brutes Ive killed have dropped them). Not to mention Elder is actually located a very long way away form me and I cant even boat to it because im somehow landlocked (the big sea area doesnt have an exit). I think my seed might just suck.
    Its best to just run araund the coast of the land you start on to map it. I am on day 260+ and i still didnt find the damn merchant (and getting ready for last boss).

Also, just find copper and tin and make the nails and from those make a boat. Then make a portal on one side of the map (like starting area) and place it to 1.st meadows when you land your ship in. Then find some open water and place a new boat. Just remember to place a workbench near them so they dont despawn.

Or this will happen:

...had to log out of my server to make a new seed and create a new boat as old one was gone. Having a backup storage is a lifesaver.

Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    Its best to just run araund the coast of the land you start on to map it. I am on day 260+ and i still didnt find the damn merchant (and getting ready for last boss).

Also, just find copper and tin and make the nails and from those make a boat. Then make a portal on one side of the map (like starting area) and place it to 1.st meadows when you land your ship in. Then find some open water and place a new boat. Just remember to place a workbench near them so they dont despawn.

Or this will happen:

...had to log out of my server to make a new seed and create a new boat as old one was gone. Having a backup storage is a lifesaver.
    Finally found my Vendor. One and a half days sail from my base. And I don't mean One and a half days of searching, I mean after I found him and set up the portal, as I was sailing back it took a whole day and almost into the night cycle of the next. Day 365 just passed on my server lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by StillMcfuu View Post
    Finally found my Vendor. One and a half days sail from my base. And I don't mean One and a half days of searching, I mean after I found him and set up the portal, as I was sailing back it took a whole day and almost into the night cycle of the next. Day 365 just passed on my server lol.
    Yeah i kinda gave up here and used this:
    https://valheim-trader-finder.vercel.app/

Its still a good tool as it doesnt realy spoil your world looks and i found him quite easy. And of cose i would have to pass a freaking plains due to weird world generation and this is why i didnt find him 1.st time.

Rest of merchants spawned at sides on map-- not joking.

Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    Yeah i kinda gave up here and used this:
    https://valheim-trader-finder.vercel.app/

Its still a good tool as it doesnt realy spoil your world looks and i found him quite easy. And of cose i would have to pass a freaking plains due to weird world generation and this is why i didnt find him 1.st time.

Rest of merchants spawned at sides on map-- not joking.
    It can be a real pain.

I think the game should provide a hint at his location. Either on Rune Stones that state he is in a certain direction from the Runestone itself or maybe just a raw search area. Could be provided by defeating the second boss as he doesn't really provide anything and is a big step up from Metal Deer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well i beat the final boss and got....work in progress item

Firstly hearing about the games success for such a small dev team is wonderful news.

However from people that have played this what's the draw or the hook with these type of games, while they are most probably not my cup of tea I'm intrigued because only recently we had Rust being popular now this & in the past some others. I'm curious why these survival type games are becoming one of the biggests genres right now.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Hard to say but if a few big streamers start playing a genre, it's literally monkey see, monkey do. I don't watch Twitch, but games like Rust and GTA are both sand box type games and are pretty easy to RP in. Viewers like to watch that shit and when a bunch of streamers all jump into the same server, it's easier for some of the less creative ones to latch onto some of the more creative ones in an attempt to gain some popularity. People see this and naturally assume the games going to be that fun for everybody, when in reality it probably isn't. If you like to watch your favorite personality muck around in said games and aren't really interested in the game, well, that's another thing.

Valheim is a good game on it's own though. The survival aspects aren't as pronounced as other survival games, and in reality it's really just a Terraria type game but in 3D. If you don't like sand box games (I generally don't), or building games (again, I generally don't), then most of the hooks of the game aren't going to appeal to you. It has a fairly simplistic progression system (which is absent in a lot of building games) that might hook you to some degree, however it mainly boils down to go to new area, kill boss, and then use items from the boss you just killed to do the same thing again.

All of that said I generally get bored of building games or sand box games in general, but this one hooked for a good length of time. In reality you don't really need a cool looking base or anything like that (basic square boxes work perfectly fine for a home to advance you through the progression system), but it's easy to lose hours into building something if you take the time to understand the core aspects of how building in the game works. Ark is a similar game, but the building, combat and progression systems just felt inferior compared to Valheim for reasons I can't explain.

I got excited because it's Nordic survival and got it based on that.

However, I can't really tell if I like the game or not after 10 hours. It seems ok so far, but not enough to keep my interest long term right now.
    Just don't reply to me. Please. If you can help it.

Haven't actually watched any videos or streamers play it, but I picked it up after a recommendation from a friend who knew I enjoyed survival style games.

So far I've enjoyed what I've played. It's definitely a slow start, that's for sure. The building certainly needs some work, the snap points for things are very small in some areas (looking at you, roof panels) so it makes building a little bit of a pain but you can break things down and get 100% of materials back so if you misplace something you can easily fix it. There are also a handful of mods available for the game already including some that make building easier, one that allows for first person view if that's your sort of thing, and apparently another that adds a graveyard basically that will automatically put your items at your "grave" when you respawn at your bed (but this one feels a bit like cheating to me personally) so there's definitely ways around some of the more pain in the ass aspects of the game as there usually are in most games like this (ARK in particular has a TON of mods available).

Not crazy far into the game, only about 25 in game "days" but I'm enjoying it so far. The only complaints I have so far are the storage chests being absolutely tiny compared to most other games (ARK, Minecraft, etc) and the fact that your carry weight is fairly low. I'm still starting out and finding tin/copper and the weight of them necessitates me making like 5 trips back and forth to the same copper node that is a fair distance away from my little outpost in the area. It's incredibly time consuming and something that I never had a problem with in other games like Minecraft where it's space determined instead of weight or ARK where you have the ability to increase your carrying capacity with every level. It slows down the process quite a bit and I'm hoping since it's still early access that we'll see some sort of leveling system implemented similar to what ARK has with stat improvement points each level to allow you more damage, speed, carrying weight, etc as you go out into the world and do more.

Quote Originally Posted by Cronovey View Post
    I'm still starting out and finding tin/copper and the weight of them necessitates me making like 5 trips back and forth to the same copper node that is a fair distance away from my little outpost in the area.
    The weight of metal ore is there to guide you towards transports like carts and boats. Especialy because you cant teleport with those items.

Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    The weight of metal ore is there to guide you towards transports like carts and boats. Especialy because you cant teleport with those items.
    Oh I get that, it's just very frustrating your first few trips out to get the stuff considering the weight of it and the amount needed to make anything of value with it. It's very very time consuming early on making those back and forth trips until you have transportation options for it. Shuttling a bunch of copper back and forth while still having weight taken up by your equipped items and tools without a cart until you have enough to make enough bronze to actually do something is just really time consuming, especially considering that in the Black Forest area there's tin freaking everywhere. The only option I really saw was either build up an outpost right next to some copper to reduce the back and forth time or run back and forth a handful of times, and I personally prefer having my bases/outposts near the edges of zones so having all the copper spawning in the center of the area with my base on the outside edge already built made it very slow. Between that and the fact that all the copper is across the water from my house (meaning cart isn't a practical option) until I have portal access it's basically just super slow going.

It's a very, very slow ramp up time but I'm still enjoying it quite a bit. I'm used to most other survival games where the initial ramp up time for early technology is fairly quick and then it tapers off in the mid to late portions of the game as opposed to a very slow initial start.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Phookah View Post
    BIG CON THOUGH: If you have shitty internet (like I do), the game runs on a P2P network, which means if you're playing with buddies you can lag out the whole server for everyone and it can quickly become unplayable, though I expect with the huge amount of money they've made they'll probably put in dedicated servers at some point.
    While this might not be a solution that people can afford, server hosting is probably the best means to avoid the typical P2P drawbacks. To facilitate hosted solutions, there is a really good tool that allows the deployment of Valheim servers onto DigitalOcean droplets, AWS EC2 instances, and GCP compute instances (Guide/Tool Here). I currently run a server for some friends for about $40/mo on DO, though I know some people who have been using a $20 droplet that have been able to play without interruption (note: you will likely have to dole out the extra $20 if you want to play at or near max player count consistently).
    Sylvanas didn't even win the popular vote, she was elected by an indirect election of representatives. #NotMyWarchief

This is by far the best survival game I've had the pleasure of playing.
    Maybe the viking stuff is a big bonus for me, I don't know.

Building in this game is a lot more fun than in Minecraft and other 3d builders
    My buddies and me got a small viking village with ~4-6m high walls, towers, arrowslits, gates and everything- and then... 3 trolls attacked and razed half of it.
    Now we have an even bigger castle with a water-filled moat all around it. Because without that moat, rebuilding all that stuff is a real pain in the ass. Now we only have to rebuild the bridges leading to our small town.

I really like that you actually get attacked by big monsters though.
    I had to rebuild a whole wall section, which was somewhat annoying, but it sure as hell looked awesome when 5 players were raining arrows down on the trolls while they smashed and walked through the wall breach.
    It felt like Attack on Titan
    The only bad thing about it is that you basically have to build walls around everything.

Can't leave a small hut in the open because these event-monsters will randomly attack and destroy it, even if players aren't there.
    Last edited by KrayZ33; 2021-03-08 at 10:27 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    While the game is not bad it's way overhyped by streamers paid to advertise it creating, same thing with Raid: Shadow Legends being pushed by every streamer. Game is worth maybe £9 but not £15.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    I think many people will agree that genocide can be justified.