Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cateran100 View Post
    Errm..sorry but this looks..terrible...Amazon especially..but everything else as well....
    Well, like I told Koko...It's not my job to hype it up for you. Play it or don't. Doesn't really affect me.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

10+ Year Old Account
    Errm..sorry but this looks..terrible...Amazon especially..but everything else as well....
    You will be able to play with 2D sprite graphics if you wish.

Sprites are 100% better for things like character creation, as it's pretty much live 2D concept art - you can't beat it with 3D and IMO they should consider making HD sprite version of character creation screen for their remaster.

I also think some spell effects, most notably Lightning/Chain Lightning is better in old version - it was just this massive beam of power that felt good, where as what they showed was a downgrade imo - it was up to date, but it just was not as good feeling.

That said, there are quite a lot of great stuff too. Full 3D models remove the big sprite limitation of shitty characters turning, allow actual unique weapons and armor details for everything. Environments are much better and the lighting they showed is kickass, especially for such a game.

IMO, they need to touch up 3D characters a tad to make them look more rugged, then beef up spells (especially Lightning) and it will be great.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    So if you want a quality ARPG where you know there is always a bright future and exciting updates and xpacs getting pushed out regularly, you absolutely MUST pay PoE. There is no other option.
    As far as PoE goes, I took one look at the skill "tree" and decided it's not for me. I much prefer skill trees like Diablo 2, Titan Quest, Grim Dawn, Torchlight 1 etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZSolii View Post
    "yes, let's piss him off because he loves his long hair. Let us twirl our evil mustaches amidst the background music of honky-tonk pianos! GENIUS!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Culexus View Post
    Yes i hate those sneaky account thieves that come to my house and steal my computer in order to steal some wow money! Those bastards! *shakes fist*

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    The first question I want answered, what should be on the top of the page, is:

Why should I play Diablo 2 Resurrected over other ARPGs?

Acceptable answers MIGHT include (and I'm not saying these pertain to D2R or any ARPG, these are just examples):

1. The game has BY FAR the best graphics in its genre.
    2. The game has the best support in its genre.
    3. The game has the most frequent updates in its genre.
    4. The game has the most bleeding-edge social features in its genre.
    5. Combat is the smoothest in its genre.
    6. The game has the best and broadest compatibility in its genre.
    7. The game offers the most robust modding tools in its genre.
    8. We are doing something no other game in the genre is doing, its a HUGE innovation, and it is X.

Bring a good game isn't enough. Even being a GREAT game isn't enough. You need a hook. A value add. What is the value add here?

Its the only question worth answering. It should be the first thing they say. And I don't see from Blizzard. Do you?

- - - Updated - - -

If you ask me that same question about PoE, I can definitively give you an answer. They produce very high-quality xpacs, best in genre. By FAR. So if you want a quality ARPG where you know there is always a bright future and exciting updates and xpacs getting pushed out regularly, you absolutely MUST pay PoE. There is no other option.
    I'm excited bc I remember playing it when I was a kid, will be nice to see it with better graphics and compare it to how I remember
    You don't understand. Having an unpayed full time job that no one appreciates is the magic of classic.

It's about the journey. The journey into depression. The journey of running a daycare full of middle-aged alcoholics ignoring their SOs and avoiding social engagements to fulfill something they wanted 15 years ago before everyone realized it's not hard at all.

people like you who just state that things that look objectively great look terrible just to seem too cool for school are literally the worst kinds of posters on this site.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleksej89 View Post
    Looks great!

One suggestion would be to prevent the page from automatically rearranging panels as the viewer is scrolling (PC desktop).
    Right now its pretty annoying when i am scrolling and reading panels one-by-one (no filters) and the webpage randomly decides to fling some panels i have not yet read into the panels i have already read (and vice versa).
    Hey Aleksej89, thanks for the suggestion

Unfortunately this was a trade off between user experience and google's standards. The reason it jiggles when you're scrolling is because new images/videos are loading as they come into your viewport - this is called lazyloading and if you don't utilise it (among many other things), Google penalises your site in search rankings and deems it 'substandard' for performance. It means the page loads faster because it doesn't have to load hundred of images/mp4s at the same time on first visit.

I've done what I can to reduce this already but unfortunately there's a point where I can't really go any further :P For example, one way is to set all image dimensions individually - that way when they load they don't increase the height of each element. But this also in turn means that images are not responsive on mobile devices, which Google also penalises for (lol). It's a juggling game between what they want sadly and what the user wants.

Anyway I'm really glad that you guys have enjoyed the site so far and that it is generating some healthy discussion here on D2R. I can sympathise with those who are viewing D2R with healthy skepticism after the WC3R fiasco, but I'm also confident that if you really look at what Blizz/VV are doing with this game that it is an entirely different kettle of fish. This isn't just a quick and easy remaster for cash, it's a passion project on a grand scale.

The first question I want answered, what should be on the top of the page, is:

Why should I play Diablo 2 Resurrected over other ARPGs?

Acceptable answers MIGHT include (and I'm not saying these pertain to D2R or any ARPG, these are just examples):

8. We are doing something no other game in the genre is doing, its a HUGE innovation, and it is X.

Bring a good game isn't enough. Even being a GREAT game isn't enough. You need a hook. A value add. What is the value add here?

Its the only question worth answering. It should be the first thing they say. And I don't see from Blizzard. Do you?

- - - Updated - - -

If you ask me that same question about PoE, I can definitively give you an answer. They produce very high-quality xpacs, best in genre. By FAR. So if you want a quality ARPG where you know there is always a bright future and exciting updates and xpacs getting pushed out regularly, you absolutely MUST pay PoE. There is no other option.
    There's always one person......

He made a page of the available info for D2:R. Not why you should play it or why you should care. Judging by the responses, no one cares if you do or not

10+ Year Old Account
    You're right. The original does look terrible. Glad they are updating the graphics. The game itself is still as jank as before. If it played as smooth as D3, this would be great.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Holy shit is this legit? Good lord they did a terrible job with some of those. The druid looks okay, assassin is passable. Barbarian is awful, he looks so...normal? Why does the amazon look like that? And I don't mean like, why isn't she more conventially attractive, I mean why does she look like a fucking 65 year old dude

Well there goes my hype

Barbarian look sick. Who doesn't like Dave Bautista.
    Assassin and Amazon face look a bit weird but other than that I like it.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

Oh what a cool site. I like it. Learned a couple of things.

Quote Originally Posted by Beastiel View Post
    Holy shit is this legit? Good lord they did a terrible job with some of those. The druid looks okay, assassin is passable. Barbarian is awful, he looks so...normal? Why does the amazon look like that? And I don't mean like, why isn't she more conventially attractive, I mean why does she look like a fucking 65 year old dude

Well there goes my hype
    im hoping this was sarcasm?

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NihilSustinet View Post
    im hoping this was sarcasm?
    not even remotely. Easily some of the worst character designs i've ever seen. Devoid of any sense of style and presence. I refuse to even entertain a troll attempt to tell me these are passable
    Last edited by Beastiel; 2021-02-28 at 05:25 PM.

not even remotely. Easily some of the worst character designs i've ever seen. Devoid of any sense of style and presence. I refuse to even entertain a troll attempt to tell me these are passable
    even if you are right, which i disagree with, who cares if the amazon isnt "conventionally attractive" what does that have to do with anything?

Why is "this game is a delightful blast from the past and I would love to play it again with new graphics because I had a lot of fun playing it the first time" not an option there?

Bring a good game isn't enough. Even being a GREAT game isn't enough.
    I have to wonder why a game being labeled "great game" by players isn't compelling enough for you to be even curious about the game if you like the genre...

snip
    Dude, just give it a rest. You're on repeat on every D2:R post, it's just mindless rants at this point.

As for OP, ty, looks cool, and helpful!

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NihilSustinet View Post
    even if you are right, which i disagree with, who cares if the amazon isnt "conventionally attractive" what does that have to do with anything?
    I specifically said it wouldn't bother me if she wasn't conventionally attractive. What bothers me is that she looks like an old guy. Kind of misses the spirit of the original character. Imagine that character killing Shenk the overseer and playfully saying "oops, did i do that?" or "good riddance, Freek" after killing the summoner?

And beyond that, The amazon was basically the mascot character for diablo 2 when it was being marketed back in the day. Getting her atleast partly close to the original design should be a priority.

Edit: Nvm, apparently they're aware she looks terrible and are looking into fixing it: https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/d3...-ugly/27024/49
    Last edited by Beastiel; 2021-02-28 at 06:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    Barbarian look sick. Who doesn't like Dave Bautista.
    Assassin and Amazon face look a bit weird but other than that I like it.
    Barbarian looks okay but I wonder where his ponytail went.
    Assassin suddenly turned into an Asian. Why? for woke points? Looks decent aside from that.
    Amazon looks the worst of all. Looks like an old man, not a beautiful warrior goddess of sorts.

Especially the Amazon needs a rework on the face, the rest is at least acceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by Daronokk View Post
    Barbarian looks okay but I wonder where his ponytail went.
    Assassin suddenly turned into an Asian. Why? for woke points? Looks decent aside from that.
    Amazon looks the worst of all. Looks like an old man, not a beautiful warrior goddess of sorts.

Especially the Amazon needs a rework on the face, the rest is at least acceptable.
    Im wondering if thats not the amazon male model...

Otherwise, im sure they’ll fix it

They already replied and said they'll alter models that are problematic. We're not even in technical alpha.