Page 25 of 37 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Thraendil View Post
    The fact that there is a technical difficulty didn't mean they were prevented from doing it. That's just a lazy excuse. They had money and resources and could easily have run classic servers if they wanted to (but they didn't, and that's the real limitation).
    I don't think the maintenance costs are that low to keep a separate MMO running, sure, they could have done it *if* they wanted to, going to the extreme to completely dismiss the reasoning and call them lazy is silly.

I can't blame a for profit organization when they decide to not pursue a project that
    (1) can turn into a bottomless hole as far as maintenance is concerned
    (2) potentially yields little return

A decade later, they found a solution for (1), hence Classic happened.

You can't go back and forth the different products with the same character. Once you copy your character it will ultimately be different to the one you choose to progress. They're not the same character, just the same name and same face/skin/hair etc. However, they will have different abilities, different talents, different gear, different inventory and so forth.
    Your definition cannot exist, because how is a TBC character supposed to return to a Classic server?
    If you want to come with a definition for something in that context, it at least it should able to exist.

And that reasoning also completely ignores that anybody that's not choosing to use the character boost will still go through Classic content.

Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    I don't think the maintenance costs are that low to keep a separate MMO running, sure, they could have done it *if* they wanted to, going to the extreme to completely dismiss the reasoning and call them lazy is silly.

I can't blame a for profit organization when they decide to not pursue a project that
    (1) can turn into a bottomless hole as far as maintenance is concerned
    (2) potentially yields little return

A decade later, they found a solution for (1), hence Classic happened.

Your definition cannot exist, because how is a TBC character supposed to return to a Classic server?
    If you want to come with a definition for something in that context, it at least it should able to exist.

And that reasoning also completely ignores that anybody that's not choosing to use the character boost will still go through Classic content.
    No they did not find "a solution" a decade later. The solution was solely the community who pushed them to take their money.

How can my definition not exist when you're stating it yourself? A TBC character is not supposed to return to Classic because it's not the same product. In other words, is not the same game.

And as I said, one paid boost per account is a fair balance. I'm sure there are several reasons why Blizzard did not want unlimited boosts, which they themselves are best fit to answer. The point is that if you don't want to level through Classic WoW and only experience TBC Classic, there is a way!

Quote Originally Posted by Season2mask View Post
    Who cares that it's not on retail? It's worse, it's on classic...where progression is supposed to mean something. Now you can just buy your way to 50 and even get a mount. Sickening, really.

Totally anti-classic ethos.
    Why do you let these things bother you so much? At the end of the day, who cares it's not your character. Play the way you want to play and don't worry about how others level, obtain things, etc. Worry about yourself and your characters and you will be a much happier player.

Quote Originally Posted by Djaye View Post
    if you dont like leveling in the classic expansions, you shouldnt be playing them. its like playing mortal kombat but hating fighting games...
    so people want to play TBC classic to run old dungeons and raids and skip out on leveling? do they know they have retail for that? please go spam timewalking crap and leave the real game to the real players. you dont want the rpg, you just want the hamster wheel...
    Oh, thanks for letting me know what I should or should not be playing. I will certainly buy a boost, maybe more if they let me to.
    "Real game for real players" dude... let's 1v1 in Durotar and we shall see who is "real gamer". Also thanks letting me know what I want... Classic community is so welcoming... Good thing you have 0 influence and most classic players are not like you :>
    Getting 58 level boost, so I will still level in the expansion I want to play, but I guess that's hard to comprehend.

do they know they have retail for that? please go spam timewalking crap and leave the real game to the real players.
    I play retail when i want difficult content, like the "real gamers" that you mention, classic and the likes is a walk in the park so you play it when you are tired, sorry to burst your bubble

if you dont like leveling in the classic expansions, you shouldnt be playing them. its like playing mortal kombat but hating fighting games...
    so people want to play TBC classic to run old dungeons and raids and skip out on leveling? do they know they have retail for that? please go spam timewalking crap and leave the real game to the real players. you dont want the rpg, you just want the hamster wheel...
    Dude what are you talking about?

Almost everyone hated to level again 1-60 even back then, but you simply didn’t have any other option. Why do you think that leveling speed in outdated zones has been made faster and faster every new expansion?

10+ Year Old Account
    Lighthalzen, the City-State of Prosperity
    what did you expect from a company that does not buy any nonvirtualserver.
    EAT THEIR SERVERSHARD OR DIE

Quote Originally Posted by Flexs View Post
    Because I want it limited as fuck. Time and amount. There should be no boost in the first place.
    So I assume you advocate for banning people who mage boost right?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Season2mask View Post
    Who cares that it's not on retail? It's worse, it's on classic...where progression is supposed to mean something. Now you can just buy your way to 50 and even get a mount. Sickening, really.

Totally anti-classic ethos.
    It lets toughs who never wanted to play vanilla again play the expansion they might like most, without having to slog through something they hate.

No they did not find "a solution" a decade later. The solution was solely the community who pushed them to take their money.
    No, the community showed them there is a demand, they didn't provide them with a solution on how to maintain Classic efficiently.

The solution was discovered by one guy, Omar Gonzalez, who found a way to teach a modern server to handle 1.12 data, if he hadn't done that, then Classic most likely would still not be a thing because Blizzard wasn't willing to effectively run two separate MMO's.
    How can my definition not exist when you're stating it yourself?
    Seems a bit stupid to point that out when i also essentially say that this definition is pretty fucking stupid in itself.
    Last edited by Kralljin; 2021-03-01 at 07:20 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    Without having access to any numbers, that statement is hollow.
    To be fair to him if anyone DID want that why didn't they? or better yet why don't they still? It's not like its forced on you.....

I'm at close to #nochanges as they come and even I think the lvl 58 boost is a great idea. It gives people who didn't get in to classic the chance to experience TBC classic from release day with everyone else.

I'll be leveling a BE pally in pre-patch anyway so won't get to take advantage of it but it's still a great idea

Quote Originally Posted by Madscientist View Post
    Changes lead to more changes so that's what you get for praising changes. Just as all the normal people knew since classic beta and earlier. Even more bad changes from retail / retail style changes are coming. eventually.
    LFR incoming.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    retail provides Chromie time now to catch up and boosts and whatnot. maybe Blizz would have liked to introduce boosts earlier than WoD; the problem of "how to level from 1 to max without hassle" was present at every new expansion with a new class or new races.

for Wrath Classic it will bite the DKs to hurry to ~lvl68, but it was a hero class for good reasons: showering them with free mount, fancy blue gear in all slots at the end of starter area and higher starter level was also a sort of "boost", dont get illusions here. and same with DH in Legion.

Quote Originally Posted by froschhure View Post
    what did you expect from a company that does not buy any nonvirtualserver.
    EAT THEIR SERVERSHARD OR DIE
    Nobody in the entire world uses physical servers anymore since we've left the 90s behind us.

3+ Year Old Account
    People here having crying about boosts are the real elitists

To be honest, it kind of makes me sad that you haven't got time to actually play the game so you want to "pay to skip". To me this is like renting a film to watch and then keeping it on fast forward to the end. Even if you have seen the film before, or in this case played the game before, you are paying someone to fast forward the whole point of the game.

Classic & TBC was all about the grinds, making a culture where effort is not rewarded is counter intuitive. I think you are wasting your time and money if you buy a boost, all this will do is cause you to try and skip all the games you play and leave you dissatisfied. It also encourages gaming companies to monetise the player base more and more, and for a subscription based service i think you are crazy to pay even more money into the pot.

They won't change their mind as it is easy money for them, the least they could have done is give all the people who levelled to 58 a free unique mount & achievement that you could not get by boosting. Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Osperand View Post
    To be honest, it kind of makes me sad that you haven't got time to actually play the game so you want to "pay to skip". To me this is like renting a film to watch and then keeping it on fast forward to the end. Even if you have seen the film before, or in this case played the game before, you are paying someone to fast forward the whole point of the game.
    But it’s a film you saw before and you didn’t like the first half hour of it. So why not skip ahead past the boring character building and go to the action?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruargh
    I'm baffled that something this simple can be so hard for some people... I guess we can't blame blizzard for dumbing down the game any longer, because apparently it very much needed :

If I would play TBC Classic then I'd be happy for the boost. It makes it so that more people try it out and populate the world. More people to murder, take advantage of and befriend or start a rivalry with. Isn't that what TBC was about? An expansion during a time where everything WoW was growing, with more and more players playing.

If you want the vanilla TBC experience, don't buy the boost. I see no problem with it though I'd prefere if the option to boost wasn't available. We live in a completely different time today though so it's fine. It fitts todays norms.
    Well met!
    Quote Originally Posted by Iem View Post
    Man even if Blizzard gave players bars of gold, they would complain that they were too heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by Osperand View Post

Classic & TBC was all about the grinds, making a culture where effort is not rewarded is counter intuitive. I think you are wasting your time and money if you buy a boost, all this will do is cause you to try and skip all the games you play and leave you dissatisfied. It also encourages gaming companies to monetise the player base more and more, and for a subscription based service i think you are crazy to pay even more money into the pot.

They won't change their mind as it is easy money for them, the least they could have done is give all the people who levelled to 58 a free unique mount & achievement that you could not get by boosting. Just my opinion.
    No man, you're not fastforwarding any film.... You're skipping the annoying part that no one wants to do in a re-release of an old expansion brought back as a museum piece. Leveling is not the whole game, it's merely the introduction to the game that everyone has done countless times and provides no value at all.

Not having a boost to level 58 for TBC Classic would be like...renting a film and then having to build the TV by yourself before you are allowed to watch it. No one would watch it save for tv building enthustiasts.
    Armory Link
    Mount Collection

Everything wrong with gamers in one sentence:
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavox View Post
    I want Activision-Blizzard to burn, but for crimes against gaming, not because they got me too'd.