Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Ah... the classic poster that doesn't even reach level cap and has the game worked out. It's more common in FFXIV i must admit.

You are too late buddy. No one is leveling in a 15yo mmo out of prepatch/launch. We are all on the max level content.
    Last edited by Swnem; 2021-02-28 at 05:19 PM.

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by VoidSeeker199X View Post
    I'm currently leveling a new character after I quit mid Legion and just reached level 40 the other day. In these 40 levels I had zero interactions with other players and saw maybe one other player in the zone I was in. The world chat is dead and all you see in trade chat is people spaming their boost adverts. This can hardly be called an MMO anymore. Now you could say: "Just play Classic then". And I tried that and it's even worse. Good luck finding people that are willing to do quests or run a dungeon normally. What has happend that the game became so asocial?
    Don+t know what to tell you, it might be chance. I recently leveled a couple of characters and WoW felt more alive than in the past nearly 8 years.

Funny enough, Legion and BfA were outstanding expansions..... (EXCEPT for their core, systems, which were terrible) but leveling and alts wise thy were pretty cool. BfA was not extremely alt friendly but it was not all that bad, a bit more grindy than Shadowlands of course.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Molvonos View Post
    I get my social interactions through my guild...
    I agree with your assessment since it matches my own. (I'm a Kunark-era MMO player, though.)

I've been playing the game essentially solo since, well, MOP, I guess. I like it that way. No pressure to perform, no need to rely on others, just do what you enjoy and at your own pace.

15+ Year Old Account
    It would be a single player game if it cared about casuals, which it doesn't, in terms of character progression.

Best way I can describe WoW is a tunnel you walk through the entire leveling experience, a LFG dungeon is a window in your tunnel that you look out of for 10 minutes, then return to tunnel. At the end of the tunnel you see a cross roads that leads to more tunnels with more windows for you to look out of.

That's what playing WoW feels like, imo. The open world doesn't have any purpose so you just end up on a linear path of check marks and zipping to blip after blip after blip on your map, radar thing. No one speaks to you because there is no reason for them to, everyone is invisible to each other in the PHYSICAL game world because of the LFG, LFD, LF this and that tool, you don't even need to look around you at all anymore unless you're literally going to fall off the world, the game is just brainless and all the raids are figured out in public test, then everyone studies the strategy independently, so again, no reason to communicate there.

I think maybe they intend for people to use the in game voice system? Everyone just turns it off, how will that work??

The open world and everything to do with it is just too far gone, it really isn't that type of MMO anymore. It's easier if you think of it as an open world multiplayer game (remove the massive and RPG part). It's not massive since everything is sharded and phased, destroying any immersion you could ever have and guilds (30 or more players all traveling in the open world at the same time) literally are never seen in the open world. It has a couple RPG elements, but it mostly feels like the Avengers paid service. All the crap you need to build your character you have to buy with bogus, invisible in game currencies designed to waste your time (Renown, anima, emblem, conduit, ilvl, patch with more ilvls and more chasing).

The playerbase has the same mentality as in retail. Only the endgame matters. So if you aren't Level 60 by now you're shit out of luck and will have a miserable time leveling. So it would be no different to opening a local server and playing alone.
    I keep hearing this garbage being regurgitated constantly - this is nothing to do with "retail" and everything to do with an aging player base who have little interest in chit chatting with what can be and often is an extremely juvenile and idiotic community. Every week there is some new "cool" thing for all the edgy morons in chat to spam endlessly about all day. And that is why many of us choose to keep to ourselves outside of our established communities of guilds or groups of friends - many of those interactions are negative.

Just look at LFG chat on any busy realm, and its the same story - 5 or 6 kids spamming shit endlessly from the am to the pm, just spam spam spam - they attach to some stupid little fad, be it spamming about KFC, or literally all spamming the same word endlessly, or jus the usual failed and childish attempts at being edgy. On one of the realms i main on, the main topics of discussion are Gender, Sexuality, KFC chicken, and Race - those 4 subjects would account for 80% of the "chat" in public channels, from zone, to lfg, to trade - anything where they can get some attention.

All desperately trying to create their own version of "barrens chat" but its so fucking forced and embarrassing, many "normal" people simply turn of those chats and communicate with like minded people instead.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by oldgeezer View Post
    I've been playing the game essentially solo since, well, MOP, I guess. I like it that way. No pressure to perform, no need to rely on others, just do what you enjoy and at your own pace.
    I mean so long as "what you enjoy" doesnt include pvp, raiding, m+, or any of the other core endgame systems, thats absolutely fine. And i know a few people who play the game as you do and are happy with it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by glowpipe View Post
    classic barely got players left and those that still play, are max level
    You believe it has few players left? Are you on a busy realm or a "dead" one?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Echocho View Post
    Actually Classic is not much better. The problem is more because of the players than it is the game.
    If you look through these forums, many of the "problems" with the game are actually entirely community created.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ealyssa View Post
    8 years old content in a MMO is almost dead ? Color me shocked...

Can we stop with stupid thread ? That would be a dream.
    Where did you come up with 8 years from? Vanilla came out in what, 2004? Thats 16 years old?!?!?!?

I think this game is terrible as a single player game. I only do group content now and pretty much ignore story in this game now. Can't take it seriously after teldrassil and what followed. I can't imagine being a solo player longer than 2 weeks and unsub. BFA literally ruined the immersion for me entirely.
    @arkanon Did you hear that Roe Jogan died? And.. "general Draven? From league of legends? "
    Last edited by GreenJesus; 2021-02-28 at 11:17 PM.

If you want it to be, sure. I always get the distinct feeling though that all the people whinging most for "nO SoCiaL InTeRaCTIon", are actually part of the asocial crowd. Or they repell people...

Anyho, I play the game solo and socially but if I can't play socially, as in raid with my long-standing guild, I'd rather spend time playing a dedicated single-player game.

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    If you want it to be, sure. I always get the distinct feeling though that all the people whinging most for "nO SoCiaL InTeRaCTIon", are actually part of the asocial crowd. Or they repell people...

Anyho, I play the game solo and socially but if I can't play socially, as in raid with my long-standing guild, I'd rather spend time playing a dedicated single-player game.
    I can't say I ever really played any part of the game solo beyond leveling and odd niches like the mage tower. It kinda boggles my mind people think of wow as a single player game. It would be a rather mediocre one if it was.

I forgot to mention that I'm leveling in Chromie Time (MoP). Since Chromie Time is phased could this be another impact why I don't see any players in the world? Would I had a better experience without Chromie Time enabled?
    In MoP? Probably not. MoP isn't one of the expansions recommended for efficient leveling, so the players there will likely be people who just enjoy the content. My personal experience is the starting zone for any given expansion usually has some people in it, but not so much after that. Like, you'll see people in Borean Tundra or Howling Fjord, but nobody in Zul Drak or Sholazar Basin, for example. As Alliance, Elwynn, Redridge, and Duskwood are usually populated, Westfall varies.

This seems to be a popular leveling guide if you're interested in seeing where people are going. As Horde, I usually see people in Silverpine & Hillsbrad because of it. The only outlier is Loch Modan, which is recommended for Alliance but was absolutely dead when I went out there. I haven't spent much time in Gorgrond to see how popular it is, it's recommended for both factions but I hate WoD content so I usually avoid it. https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comment...ster_than_wod/

I still see plenty of people in Legion too, particularly Suramar (you have to be level 45 to get the quest to go there). Invasions are also popular, but I'd recommend turning off Chromie time for those. Chromie time can make a big difference in the amount of people you see if it's a zone that higher levels tend to frequent, like Suramar.
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmatrix View Post
    People happened, They decided they didn't want to talk.
    Yet this issue doesn't exist in every MMO out there.
    It's not just a "people" problem,it's very much a "WoW community problem"

Blizzard caters to asocial players so community got replaced with asocial people

Social people left to play other games

Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    There's a non-insignificant portion of the playerbase on this forum who think that dungeons should have NPCs instead of players so they can continue living out their single player MMORPG fantasy. That said, there's plenty of human interaction in modern WoW if you seek it. I've made a number of friends just PuGing M+. Sometimes I'll go on twitch and find people with low viewcounts and offer to join their groups.
    Well imagine this: you pick party members like you did in WoD garrison and gear them up! So you can have a bear tank and a pala tank (ofc only one allowed for a 5m dungeon) and you run with whichever one you want, and get them new items and such I would certainly play more if we were able to run dungeons with NPCs that we can CUSTOMIZE

Quote Originally Posted by NabyBro View Post
    Stop this pink nostalgia goggle bs.
    Ugh.

I am playing classic right now. This canned "nostalgia goggles" comment that you use as a replacement for your own constructive thoughts is something that does not work anymore, you know, with classic being live and all that. Think about it but don't hurt yourself mate.

So you are on a shit server with shit people in classic? Boo hoo. There is an anonymity aspect to retail that makes consequences of antisocial behaviour irrelevant. This is not a new thing. This is not an even online thing. Even people driving cars behave like assholes because of the perceived degree of separation they have with their peers. You act like an a-hole in classic there are actual consequences and wow does that improve things a lot.

Sure, there are a hell of a lot more pragmatists in classic than there were vanilla by a country mile, there are things done in classic to a degree that were never done in vanilla. On my server at least this has increased co operation with others, not reduced it.

Quote Originally Posted by NabyBro View Post
    Times changed. 15 years passed. Online gaming is very very very different.
    Noone is awed anymore like "oh my god this dwarf is an actual real human somewhere in the world".
    Everybody understands what being an online game is.
    Oh um, yeeeeeaah.

I was super confused by the internet when it came out. What was generating all these posts on forums with opinions and shit. Said no one, ever. Before online gaming there were plenty of forums. They were also more pleasant than now. Why has online interaction gone right down the shitter? why has trolling become acceptable in light of what you describe as some kind of "awakening" to the realities of online interactions(still kinda laughing at this btw)?. Are people just becoming more assholish? Or is there a generation out there really getting every inch worth of this anonymity and freedom from consequences. You can call me ignorant all you want but I think the one thing we can be sure of is that you clearly do not have a fucking clue either lol.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    Before online gaming there were plenty of forums. They were also more pleasant than now.
    Oh, you did not just make that claim.

Funniest thing I read all week.

Son, we invented flame wars over in usenet before the days of the www. Did you think Netiquette was such a hot topic in the 90s because people behaved themselves? <snort> More pleasant indeed.

You're leveling a new character during a time when most of the rest of the playerbase are doing relatively new expansion content. Additionally, you can level in any expansion area, so leveling characters are spread out across all eras of WoW.

Once you hit 50, you'll start seeing a lot more people leveling. Once you hit 60, nearly everywhere you go will be filled with other players.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

The political situation right now is horrible. My wife and I quit our long-time guild just so we wouldn't have to interact with anyone.

If it wasn't possible to play the game solo, we wouldn't be playing right now at all.

25% of people are fascists, and 25% are enablers of fascism. We are the scapegoat. Given these odds, we prefer to not interact with anyone at all.

nyoes

/10char

Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    Ugh.

I am playing classic right now. This canned "nostalgia goggles" comment that you use as a replacement for your own constructive thoughts is something that does not work anymore, you know, with classic being live and all that. Think about it but don't hurt yourself mate.

So you are on a shit server with shit people in classic? Boo hoo. There is an anonymity aspect to retail that makes consequences of antisocial behaviour irrelevant. This is not a new thing. This is not an even online thing. Even people driving cars behave like assholes because of the perceived degree of separation they have with their peers. You act like an a-hole in classic there are actual consequences and wow does that improve things a lot.

Sure, there are a hell of a lot more pragmatists in classic than there were vanilla by a country mile, there are things done in classic to a degree that were never done in vanilla. On my server at least this has increased co operation with others, not reduced it.

Oh um, yeeeeeaah.

I was super confused by the internet when it came out. What was generating all these posts on forums with opinions and shit. Said no one, ever. Before online gaming there were plenty of forums. They were also more pleasant than now. Why has online interaction gone right down the shitter? why has trolling become acceptable in light of what you describe as some kind of "awakening" to the realities of online interactions(still kinda laughing at this btw)?. Are people just becoming more assholish? Or is there a generation out there really getting every inch worth of this anonymity and freedom from consequences. You can call me ignorant all you want but I think the one thing we can be sure of is that you clearly do not have a fucking clue either lol.
    Stop this bs already.

Classic has been out for a while.
    Your actions have just as many consequences as they have in retail: literally fucking zero.

Also, this has shit to do with the actual topic so we can conlude that you also failed at reading.

To the second part: you literally said nothing.
    Nothing 'went down the shitter".
    I bet you are one of those wierdos on Argent Dawn or something trying to talk about your life in an online MMO while the actual players try to play the actual game.

Your "but I wanna be more social" group of people are a fringe minority. Actual players who do actual content do not care about your small-talk bs.
    This has been proven over and over.
    You can go to whichever version of WoW you want and see it for yourself.

This is because people went from experiencing the game to playing the game.
    The internet is a very useful tool when you need information.
    Whiel before you would talk to people to find out where the 5 bear asses dropped now you don't need to.
    In fact, you look dumb trying to ask something like that.
    For one simple reason: the internet is there for you to use. Every single piece of info you would ever need is there for you to research.

It doesn't matter what you want. Your bullshit small-talk chit-chat social interactions are not needed, nobody cares.
    You can't unmake the past 15-20 years of progress and this is what it is, progress.

What has happend that the game became so asocial?
    Crack addicts don't wanna talk, they wanna do crack.