Quote Originally Posted by Lex Icon View Post
    as long as they don't pull the old "instanced content is where all the loot is" i'm happy to give the game a shot. i just don't want another WoW clone.
    Think they will be sticking to being able to craft your best items just need to put in extra work in professions, but can probably buy some of the legendery stuff from some vendors if your high enough rep.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

as long as any douche can come to me and attack/gank me, it's not a game for me

Quote Originally Posted by Xeenith View Post
    Same...I personally can't stand world PvP.

Quote Originally Posted by Xeenith View Post
    The PvP is still on a toggle as far as im aware but there may be some areas that may toggle you for PvP combat such as the forts being attacked, so it should still be optional if you want to PvP or not.

Was in the test several months ago and you had to toggle PvP on, main reason it was delayed was because of not enough endgame as it was mostly doing the forts but i only got to around lvl 30, looking like alot more PvE stuff has been added for endgame.
    Last edited by kenn9530; 2021-02-21 at 01:24 AM.

shoud, could, would... playing a game where you gank me once, shame on you but play those games twice, shame on me

Yea, you still have to toggle PVP in the majority of the world areas. There was like one spot that auto-flagged you in the beta, iirc. Way up northeast.

No one wants to talk about the unique theme? It’s called New World, and the characters are dressed like the founding fathers. Should’ve had Native American vs. European factions/faction-wars, hehe.

I personally prefer fantasy in my MMORPGs.

Quote Originally Posted by AryuFate View Post
    No one wants to talk about the unique theme? It’s called New World, and the characters are dressed like the founding fathers. Should’ve had Native American vs. European factions/faction-wars, hehe.

I personally prefer fantasy in my MMORPGs.
    You are not dressed like the Founding Fathers. Most PCs and NPCs are closer to the 1400-1500s than the 1600-1700s of the Founding Fathers.

The theme is the best part of the game in my opinion. Its unique to see a game set in an analog to the Age of Discovery and New World.

When doing the focus groups after the first two over alpha tests, the setting and theme were always brought up positively by testers.

I think if the game ran in the direction of hard adversarial factions and relation of what are essentially Europeans vs. Indigenous Americans would be socially and politically an extremely bad idea. Its not a genocide and racism simulator.

There are still factions at odd, however. Which does make sense within the game.

Pre-organized 50vs50... Not sure how I feel about this, it doesn't seem like "organic" PvP. Time will tell. Other than that the visuals are pretty, thanks to the Cry Engine and the great job of the artists.

Usually big projects like this are super hyped and then you're let down when they finally come out. I was surprised at how much fun it is though, having played the stress test last year. Combat is fun, not just a tab target playstyle, which is becoming extremely dated in games like WoW at the moment. Crafting was kind of forgettable, but apparently they're reworking it. For once I'm excited for a game that I know will be fun, at least in leveling. Hopefully they have some good end game stuff to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Typrax View Post
    Usually big projects like this are super hyped and then you're let down when they finally come out. I was surprised at how much fun it is though, having played the stress test last year. Combat is fun, not just a tab target playstyle, which is becoming extremely dated in games like WoW at the moment. Crafting was kind of forgettable, but apparently they're reworking it. For once I'm excited for a game that I know will be fun, at least in leveling. Hopefully they have some good end game stuff to do.
    Honest question, what exactly is "dated" about tab targetting? It's just a paradigm, that's like saying shooting other players with a gun is becoming dated..

Quote Originally Posted by Cracked View Post
    Honest question, what exactly is "dated" about tab targetting? It's just a paradigm, that's like saying shooting other players with a gun is becoming dated..
    Most MMOs have moved on to action style combat.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think thats really crucial to people liking them. If anything it is a bit of irrelevant detail.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

And I've never found it to make the game any better for it. Yeah it feels good to wreck shit action style for a little bit, but so much depth is lost in every case I've seen so far. I find action style combat incredibly shallow in other MMOs. Maybe I just haven't seen a good one yet, it's entirely possible, but I don't believe action style combat is any better than tab targetting.

Coincidentally (or maybe not), the 2 most played MMORPGs both use tab targetting style of combat.
    Last edited by Cracked; 2021-03-01 at 02:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cracked View Post
    Coincidentally (or maybe not), the 2 most played MMORPGs both use tab targetting style of combat.
    It isn't a coincidence. Action-orientated gameplay often tests badly in the context of long-form gameplay play experiences. Which MO/MMOs, MMORPGs in particular, often feature as a major genre hook.

Conversely, Action-orientated gameplay in MORPGs has excelled in gameplay experiences that promote minimal UI interfaces and shorter play sessions such as Destiny 2, Division and anchored the games-as-service in part through persistent player progression.

I've done focus group testing on games for years.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2021-03-01 at 03:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    It isn't a coincidence. Action-orientated gameplay often tests badly in the context of long-form gameplay play experiences. Which MO/MMOs, MMORPGs in particular, often feature as a major genre hook.

Conversely, Action-orientated gameplay in MORPGs has excelled in gameplay experiences that promote minimal UI interfaces and shorter play sessions such as Destiny 2, Division and anchored the games-as-service in part through persistent player progression.

I've done focus group testing on games for years.
    We really need a new type of fantasy MMO, since LOTR isnt coming anymore the gamers are kinda screwed for choice atm, new world was decent in the preview so it should be a good game overall but will probably only attract a certain playerbase.

If only they turned Sword Art Online into an MMO.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think the main issue is probably that people just want to hate on NW for hatings sake and they also want to see a "WoW killer" game come out.

NW should just be taken as what it is, an attempt at the MMO genre by amazon games.

From what I experienced in the preview it was / is a beautiful game with a lot of immersion and world interaction. They did have the issue of building a PvP based game which they are now turning more into PvE, which for me is a nice thing.

I am looking forward to playing it as a nice and slow paced relaxing game to just immerse myself in the world and enjoy the graphics. If more comes out of it, thats nice too.

As with most games nowadays, should just wait and see.

*Bezo's cackles methodically* ..oh man, that is the last person I wanted to support. He added $70bn to his net worth during the coronavirus pandemic in 2020. Let's not talk about how small businesses fared. . .

This is why I was an avid supporter of Ashes of Creation before anything for any new MMO. The reality is it will not happen. I predict this one will be launched before Ashes. I'm already getting the push to go try this one out when it releases. I bet a lot of the MMO audience will be in this boat, as they are starved for content. The only interesting thing (for me) I seen about this game is a 50 vs 50 mode. The positive I am trying to look on is the people who actually created this MMO and the content they deliver. (workers) Which I have been whining at Blizzard about for months. (No new Wintergrasp, Tol barad, Ashran, lesser extent Warfronts as they were never PVP but definitely MMO scale content. For Shadowlands..)
    Last edited by Icelin; 2021-05-02 at 09:57 PM.

I didn't enjoyed my limited preview. There are quite a few things I didn't liked about this game.

• Forced PVP
    • No Dungeons
    • No Raids
    • Extremely clumsy combat.

This game needs to grow in order to be successful. We will just have to wait and see how it shakes out.

Quote Originally Posted by neik View Post
    I didn't enjoyed my limited preview. There are quite a few things I didn't liked about this game.

• Forced PVP
    • No Dungeons
    • No Raids
    • Extremely clumsy combat.

This game needs to grow in order to be successful. We will just have to wait and see how it shakes out.
    Well
    they removed forced pvp
    added dungeons (up to like 5 now)
    no real raid content
    combat improvements have been happening quite a lot, as well as new weapons.
    World of Warcraft: Shadowblands
    Diablo Bore.