10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Toppy View Post
    So then, no minimum wage increase then?
    It’s a “high priority”... not “high priority to be included in this stimulus”... I’m a cup half full kind of guy, but I wouldn’t fault people for having issues with this.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Not in this bill and honestly given they need to get this done before march 14th when the last round of unemployment boosts expire I can sort of see that they just want to get this into a form that can pass quickly and get it into place before that deadline. There will still be a second reconcillation bill later this year and I fully expect that one to be less time sensitive than this one so probably a better vehicle for the raise.

Anyone else notice how Biden is now incapable of putting a sentence together? His dementia has progressed so rapidly over the past month, he might not make it through the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeezy911 View Post
    Anyone else notice how Biden is now incapable of putting a sentence together? His dementia has progressed so rapidly over the past month, he might not make it through the year.
    You should just crawl back into whatever hole you’ve been hiding in.

10+ Year Old Account
    Unfortunately the democrat's lack of concrete control over the senate (thanks Manchin and Sinema) means that trying to leverage the 15 dollar minimum wage into the coronavirus relief package might leave the whole thing dead in the water. That's the simple math in this situation, no matter how much people would like to pretend that the democrats "just need to want it more" as if these stick-in-the-mud tiebreaker votes, or (and don't make me laugh) the GOP, would "respect them for it" and decide to go along with what they've said they vociferously oppose.

The minimum wage increase is important, yes. But I'd say the coronavirus relief is vastly more pressing in the short term, and nothing preempts the democrats from pursuing the wage increase at a later point in time.
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2021-03-01 at 02:46 AM.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Unfortunately the democrat's lack of concrete control over the senate (thanks Manchin and Sinema) means that trying to leverage the 15 dollar minimum wage into the coronavirus relief package might leave the whole thing dead in the water. That's the simple math in this situation, no matter how much people would like to pretend that the democrats "just need to want it more" as if these stick-in-the-mud tiebreaker votes, or (and don't make me laugh) the GOP, would "respect them for it" and decide to go along with what they've said they vociferously oppose.

The minimum wage increase is important, yes. But I'd say the coronavirus relief is vastly more pressing in the short term, and nothing preempts the democrats from pursuing the wage increase at a later point in time.
    It would have been nice to have that passed, but it won't be, and the legislation is important enough to let it go for now. I do with the Democrats could have horse-traded for it rather than have it procedurally removed.

Infrastructure Week is up next - probably mid- to late March. Should be a hoot watching the GOP trying to shit all over a solution to our crumbling country. I sincerely hope the Democrats offer to repeal the Tax Break for the Rich to pay for it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    It would have been nice to have that passed, but it won't be, and the legislation is important enough to let it go for now. I do with the Democrats could have horse-traded for it rather than have it procedurally removed.
    I think, when it comes to horse trading as it were, the GOP as a whole are non-starters. They don't want anything but to make the democrats look bad so they can get back into power.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

I think, when it comes to horse trading as it were, the GOP as a whole are non-starters. They don't want anything but to make the democrats look bad so they can get back into power.
    Yea they should be more about unity like democrats were with Trump.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Well that's a fucking good point. I keep forgetting the GOP is no longer interested in helping people.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's a bit of a tight rope to walk, to be honest; depending on how well the Democrats can message their approach as 'We're getting this all done for you in spite of the GOP not wanting to help anyone' and not get derailed by the reactionary calls of 'Dems are being big meanies to Republicans by not working with them!'

As much as I wish we didn't get to a point where an entire half of our political system wasn't occupied majorly by do-nothings who'd rather burn the house down then let anyone else score a victory, shit has to get done and Democrats shouldn't let the Republicans control the narrative on this if Republicans remain entirely unwilling to actually do anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Well that's a fucking good point. I keep forgetting the GOP is no longer interested in helping people.
    No longer?

Until corporations were ruled as people, they've never been interested in helping anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    "Gambling with their lives for a chance of doing better elsewhere" is one of the defining features of the human condition, sweaty.
    "Everyone should gamble with their lives as Americans do! Everyone got a chance to become billionaire, baby! Feed more people into GDP grinder with minimal safety nets!"

If you have more in common with Iranian then billionaire why would you encourage people who have more common with you to chase chance of becoming billionaire by moving to US?

Do you think your chances are good enough? Or that illegal immigrant will do better then you?

You're aware of all the problem with your society and yet you still think more people should be thrust into them?

10+ Year Old Account
    Yea they should be more about unity like democrats were with Trump.
    If Trump had expressed a single instance of legislation meant to actually help people, or even shown the moral or mental fiber necessary to be able to want to do such a thing, maybe the democrats would have been more willing to cooperate.

Because something like "spend billions of dollars on a pointless wall to stoke Trump's ego" has no middle ground to be met on. It's simply a stupid idea that should be rejected outright.
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    When was the last time a sitting president put out a message that was not just this strongly pro union, but this strongly pro-unionization?

https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/1366191901196644354

Workers in Alabama – and all across America – are voting on whether to organize a union in their workplace. It’s a vitally important choice – one that should be made without intimidation or threats by employers.

Every worker should have a free and fair choice to join a union.

This is arguably the most pro-union public statement by a president in support of unions in the entirety of American history. Even FDR never really came out and told workers to support a union. Eisenhower forced the American steel industry to give up and concede in the biggest strike in US history.

Interesting considering the historical context. Thhat in 1959, unions had vastly more political power than they do in 2021.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    You're aware of all the problem with your society and yet you still think more people should be thrust into them?
    Failing to see how this is a contradiction since fixing the problems with society has fuck all to do with whether or not immigration should be allowed. And no, I'm not going to get dragged into the nonsense hypothetical "well if you HAD to choose between the two, which would you?" you'll probably reply with because they aren't mutually exclusive in reality so there's no reason to entertain it in theory.

Well, unless one has an anti-immigration agenda and is trying to service that by making them seem mutually exclusive.
    Last edited by Elegiac; 2021-03-01 at 04:30 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Gotta figure out what Manchin wants. Then leverage that in a $15min wage bill.

If Trump had expressed a single instance of legislation meant to actually help people, or even shown the moral or mental fiber necessary to be able to want to do such a thing, maybe the democrats would have been more willing to cooperate.

Because something like "spend billions of dollars on a pointless wall to stoke Trump's ego" has no middle ground to be met on. It's simply a stupid idea that should be rejected outright.
    Sounds like you agree that democrats never were about unity, so don't be surprised when they are universally opposed by the other side. His policies were liked by his constituency.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like you agree that democrats never were about unity, so don't be surprised when they are universally opposed by the other side. His policies were liked by his constituency.
    ...Trump's constituency, which at no point prior to or during his presidency ever represented the majority will of the American people?
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

...Trump's constituency, which at no point prior to or during his presidency ever represented the majority will of the American people?
    I know it crazy he didn't represent the majority beliefs of most Americans on subjects like illegal immigration, critical race theory, green new deal, and defending police.

10+ Year Old Account
    I know it crazy he didn't represent the majority beliefs of most Americans on subjects like illegal immigration, critical race theory, green new deal, and defending police.
    ...and...?
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.