Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Beastiel View Post
    Holy shit is this legit? Good lord they did a terrible job with some of those. The druid looks okay, assassin is passable. Barbarian is awful, he looks so...normal? Why does the amazon look like that? And I don't mean like, why isn't she more conventially attractive, I mean why does she look like a fucking 65 year old dude
    Personally, I really enjoy the less cartoonish look they went for. The updated characters all look pretty haggard, grim, and severe. I particularly like the angularity they put into the Necro and Amazon's face.

One of the first pieces of art I saw related to Diablo 2 was in Next Generation Magazine (iirc) and it left a big impression on me to this day;

It has a D&D fantastical feel but still wasn't in the quasi-anime/bulked-up superhero style that came to define a lot of what Blizzard put out after D2. Compared to D3 and D4 art with a lot of rounded edges, lavish accouterment, and so on. I despise this kind of art and visual presentation.

In the original D2 advertisement you look less of a "superhero" and I think the character creation of the D2r is closer to that than the newer stuff. You can also see things like shaper facial features, flatter colors, a more 80s style, etc.

I specifically said it wouldn't bother me if she wasn't conventionally attractive. What bothers me is that she looks like an old guy. Kind of misses the spirit of the original character. Imagine that character killing Shenk the overseer and playfully saying "oops, did i do that?" or "good riddance, Freek" after killing the summoner?

And beyond that, The amazon was basically the mascot character for diablo 2 when it was being marketed back in the day. Getting her atleast partly close to the original design should be a priority.

Edit: Nvm, apparently they're aware she looks terrible and are looking into fixing it: https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/d3...-ugly/27024/49
    yeah but you also said your hype was gone.. just because you dont want to bone one of the characters? do you exclusively play games where the player character turns you on?

not even remotely. Easily some of the worst character designs i've ever seen. Devoid of any sense of style and presence. I refuse to even entertain a troll attempt to tell me these are passable
    When the y2k'ers think they are old enough to pass judgement on anything :/

"some of the worst i've ever seen" - doesnt mean much when you have seen exactly 2 things in your life.

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicPeon View Post

"some of the worst i've ever seen" - doesnt mean much when you have seen exactly 2 things in your life.
    Meh... y2k’ers can be 21 now... thats pretty much old enough to have a real opinion, imo xD

10+ Year Old Account
    Lighthalzen, the City-State of Prosperity
    lost arc online is 1000 levels ahead. But it's cute how you fanboi diablo. I'll munch my popcorn and watch it burn

Quote Originally Posted by froschhure View Post
    lost arc online is 1000 levels ahead. But it's cute how you fanboi diablo. I'll munch my popcorn and watch it burn
    sure, assuming it ever comes out.

Hoo boy, why did they cover the sorcerer? The under was visible ffs dayum

Yea the new models dont look all that great but then again this is not WoW where you can zoom into your characters face.

Afaik the camera is locked to the usual Diablo 2 angle so it won't be as much of a problem.

Still would be nice if they did fix the models, amazon looks 70y old in the face and barbarian looks like he is struggling with anorexia compared to the original d2 barbarian.

Mechagnome
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NihilSustinet View Post
    yeah but you also said your hype was gone.. just because you dont want to bone one of the characters? do you exclusively play games where the player character turns you on?
    No and I can definitely appreciate your attempt to shoehorn in the implication that i must be some sort of deranged pervert in an attempt to devalue my stance but i called yours trolling so it's fair enough.

When i look at these characters i'm filled with the familiar feeling i felt when i looked at warcraft 3 - the magic has been drained.

Basically there's not a whole lot left to be excited about in a d2 remake. It's my entire childhood but that also means i've played it enough to know that my playing experience boils down to blasting through 3 modes and then doing a million cave/baal/pindleskin/meph runs.

I'm excited, but that excitement depends pretty much entirely on things "feeling" right. The amazon bothers me a little but i could've gotten passed it because of how far the camera is from your face when you're actually playing. The barb bothers me more because his silhouette is actually noticeably different, i've come to love the fact he looked 'beyond' human, practically a pure muscle hourglass shape representative of the type of powerhouse one would actually be to jump 20 feet in the air. Those massive shoulders not being there makes me feel like i'm not looking at the same character. "some of the worst designs i've ever seen" was a kneejerk reaction, but it's definitely tiresome seeing so much of what you used to love dismissed in favor of some commitment to realism.

swing and a miss bud.

No and I can definitely appreciate your attempt to shoehorn in the implication that i must be some sort of deranged pervert in an attempt to devalue my stance but i called yours trolling so it's fair enough.

When i look at these characters i'm filled with the familiar feeling i felt when i looked at warcraft 3 - the magic has been drained.

Basically there's not a whole lot left to be excited about in a d2 remake. It's my entire childhood but that also means i've played it enough to know that my playing experience boils down to blasting through 3 modes and then doing a million cave/baal/pindleskin/meph runs.

I'm excited, but that excitement depends pretty much entirely on things "feeling" right. The amazon bothers me a little but i could've gotten passed it because of how far the camera is from your face when you're actually playing. The barb bothers me more because his silhouette is actually noticeably different, i've come to love the fact he looked 'beyond' human, practically a pure muscle hourglass shape representative of the type of powerhouse one would actually be to jump 20 feet in the air. Those massive shoulders not being there makes me feel like i'm not looking at the same character. "some of the worst designs i've ever seen" was a kneejerk reaction, but it's definitely tiresome seeing so much of what you used to love dismissed in favor of some commitment to realism.

swing and a miss bud.
    i do share your concern about the endgame, because farming easy bosses pretty much was the endgame of d2 back then. you could also farm ubers but it wasnt really worth. i hope that they add something to it, but i dont know what that would be. the game itself looks great, i really dont see how minor gripes over the way characters look will change anyone's enjoyment of it, but to each their own, i guess.

but going back to the end game thing, as much as i loved diablo 2 as a teen, i dont know if im willing to pay full price for the same game reskinned, in a world where poe, wow, even d3 exist. d2, even online, is a relatively short, flat experience. i know this isnt blizz's normal style but maybe something where its moddable, and the peopel who have developed these huge TC mods for d2 can work their magic in the remaster. idk.

Quote Originally Posted by Veggie50 View Post
    Meh... y2k’ers can be 21 now... thats pretty much old enough to have a real opinion, imo xD
    Trust me, its not

- - - Updated - - -

swing and a miss bud.
    You think thats a flex, but it just makes it more embarrassing to be honest.

The modeling is really well made and still images almost never do the render engines justice. Thats why you render images in another engine if you want it to look good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daronokk View Post
    Barbarian looks okay but I wonder where his ponytail went.
    Assassin suddenly turned into an Asian. Why? for woke points? Looks decent aside from that.
    Amazon looks the worst of all. Looks like an old man, not a beautiful warrior goddess of sorts.

Especially the Amazon needs a rework on the face, the rest is at least acceptable.
    Please just stop. Diablo 2 doesn't need to add 'woke points', the cast of heroes in that game was always diverse. I can only assume that the assassin was always meant to be Asian, but due to the graphical constraints of the time, couldn't really get that close to detail. Looking at some old art there is a bit of both Asian and Caucasian in their designs, so I can assume at the time Blizzard were undecided lol. Although the Viz-Jaq'taar is very based in Asian culture regardless, even the weapons they use are Asian origin. So its fitting that the assassin is Asian. The only thing that has actually changed on the assassin is the Gozer hair style is no longer there :P

But I do agree, yes the Amazon looks horrible :P

At least they all look like they are really worn, rough looking badasses. They all look like they've seen some shit.. I'd trust them to protect me lol.
    Last edited by Orby; 2021-03-01 at 10:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    Please just stop. Diablo 2 doesn't need to add 'woke points', the cast of heroes in that game was always diverse. I can only assume that the assassin was always meant to be Asian, but due to the graphical constraints of the time, couldn't really get that close to detail. Looking at some old art there is a bit of both Asian and Caucasian in their designs, so I can assume at the time Blizzard were undecided lol. Although the Viz-Jaq'taar is very based in Asian culture regardless, even the weapons they use are Asian origin. So its fitting that the assassin is Asian. The only thing that has actually changed on the assassin is the Gozer hair style is no longer there :P

But I do agree, yes the Amazon looks horrible :P

At least they all look like they are really worn, rough looking badasses. They all look like they've seen some shit.. I'd trust them to protect me lol.
    exactly. while i think they took it to a bit too far with the amazon in particular, i personally always thought it was kind of dumb that the original amazon looked like a barbie doll

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    The first question I want answered, what should be on the top of the page, is:

Why should I play Diablo 2 Resurrected over other ARPGs?
    I always feel like that's something that only an individual can answer for themselves, not through some elaborate FAQ.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2021-03-01 at 05:12 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    exactly. while i think they took it to a bit too far with the amazon in particular, i personally always thought it was kind of dumb that the original amazon looked like a barbie doll
    OMG yes I agree. And here she is just for your sleep paralysis pleasure. We all shall never sleep again xD

Last edited by Orby; 2021-03-02 at 09:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by froschhure View Post
    People hype Lost Arc for so many years while it looks for me like another shiit asian arpg, I just cant stand those graphics. So keep munching your popcorn while I enjoy D2 remaster. And prepare alot of it because I dont know if you will live long enough to see Lost Arc released.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    One of the first pieces of art I saw related to Diablo 2 was in Next Generation Magazine (iirc) and it left a big impression on me to this day;
    Wow those are awesome! I'm texting these out to friends right now.
    Last edited by Zenfoldor; 2021-03-02 at 10:05 PM.

i do share your concern about the endgame, because farming easy bosses pretty much was the endgame of d2 back then.
    The real endgame was PvP ladders

people like you who just state that things that look objectively great look terrible just to seem too cool for school are literally the worst kinds of posters on this site.
    Yeah, no. Black paladin? Asian assassin? Transgender ma'amazon? Seriously, wtf is wrong with people nowadays? Can't people just create not absurd stuff, or this is too much to ask in 21st century of woke idiots roaming around mumbling nonsense? Jesus christ, thanks God I did not preorder this shit, this is preposterous. #notbuyingyourleftistidiocy
    Last edited by l33t; 2021-03-06 at 07:14 PM.
    No more time wasted in WoW.. still reading this awesome forum, though

Quote Originally Posted by l33t View Post
    Yeah, no. Black paladin?
    Dude, he was always black. Paladin in Diablo 2 is of Zakarumite faith, which originates from jungles of Kehjistan.

And no, its not some "leftist retcon", it was in the manual.