10+ Year Old Account

Weird monitor sleep behavior

I have my monitors set to shut off after ~20 min of inactivity. Once they do, my CPU fan (or possibly GPU, I haven't checked) will spin up and down, going to 100% for about 5 seconds then off for maybe 20, back and forth. The system isn't isn't asleep, just the monitors.

AMD 2200G, AMD 570 GPU, 16gb ram, Win10 2004 for what it's worth. I haven't really done any diagnostic but temps are in the low 40s, with nothing really running in the background.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Something is most likely preventing the computer from actually going to sleep. Could be anything from a stuck windows update to a background download. You can run powercrg -requests in powershell (as admin) to see what is requesting the computer not go to sleep. powercfg -lastwake will tell you what woke the PC up.

network cards are bad about this as well.

Quote Originally Posted by amarrite View Post
    Something is most likely preventing the computer from actually going to sleep. Could be anything from a stuck windows update to a background download. You can run powercrg -requests in powershell (as admin) to see what is requesting the computer not go to sleep. powercfg -lastwake will tell you what woke the PC up.

network cards are bad about this as well.
    powercfg -requests is useless. My PC simply refuses to go to sleep with nothing ever displayed there

I don't know if your monitor is overclocked, but if it is it can cause this behavior. Reduce the OC and it will wake from sleep like it regularly should.

@op the first thing you'll need to do is investigate to see which one is spinning up, see if you can hear the difference with the case panel off.

10+ Year Old Account
    its tired man you need to give it a few days off

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by amarrite View Post
    Something is most likely preventing the computer from actually going to sleep.
    The issue has nothing to do with the computer going to sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Chult View Post
    I don't know if your monitor is overclocked, but if it is it can cause this behavior. Reduce the OC and it will wake from sleep like it regularly should.
    The issue has nothing to do with my monitors sleeping or waking properly. The monitors go off just fine. Also, they are not OC'd.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

"Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Still having this issue after both motherboard updates, bios update, and GPU driver update. Furthermore it seems like it does this both in and out of sleep. It is not 'waking up', its just the fan spinning up and down either in screen saver, or sleep.

I'd prefer not to have to turn the system off at night, because it's behind my desk and a pain to have to crawl under it and around a pylon just to turn it on every day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Motorman View Post
    This fan spinning problem at random intervals was an issue with my first 3080 and I had to RMA it. It happened especially in wow when using portals, loading screens, monitor going to sleep, that sort of thing.

People trying to identify the issue are now comig up with a problem related to later nvidia drivers as well as erroneous readings of temps by GPU sensors.

In my case it was also giving me black screens and display crashing while the rest of the pc was working but fans went berserk. I believe its your GPU.
    Except, I'm not having crashing issues, or black screens, or any 'problems' gaming-wise. Nor do I have an nvidia card. It doesn't spin up 'randomly'

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    I have my monitors set to shut off after ~20 min of inactivity. Once they do, my CPU fan (or possibly GPU, I haven't checked) will spin up and down, going to 100% for about 5 seconds then off for maybe 20, back and forth. The system isn't isn't asleep, just the monitors.

AMD 2200G, AMD 570 GPU, 16gb ram, Win10 2004 for what it's worth. I haven't really done any diagnostic but temps are in the low 40s, with nothing really running in the background.
    I know, it can sound like conspiracy theory, but when my computer is inactive and monitor is off, I notice, that Windows does some background work, i.e. I see, that it actively accesses disks. When I awake my computer - it stops immediately. What that "background work" is - I don't know. May be some indexing or something like that. But may be it sends my data to NSA at that moment.

I don't care about Wow 11.0, if it's not solo-MMO. No half-measures - just perfect xpack.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    The easy solution is to manually turn off your monitor when it’s not in use. I found a lot of people with this issue but no solution beyond what you’ve tried. You could also set the entire system to sleep instead of just the monitor.
    That's... not really the issue.

The problem is that if the computer is left on for more than ~10 min, it turns off the monitors per Power & Sleep settings. During that time, the fan will spin up and down every 30 seconds, which is noisy. its not crashing. Its not coming in and out of sleep mode. Its almost like the act of having the monitors off is strangely CPU intensive.

Here's the last real confusing part. It doesn't do this all the time. It most happens overnight, and starts doing it some time early in the morning. Like if I just sit here right now for 10 min, and the screens turn off, it wont do it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Right. So turn off those settings and sleep the pc when you walk away. Not sure how this is confusing for an IT professional.
    Because 'getting rid of the situation' doesnt fix the problem for one. And I also WANT those settings. I want my monitors to shut off when Im not using it for a handful of minutes. I dont want to have to sleep my system every time I walk away from it.

That's like saying that your car drives rough, and the solution is 'dont drive a car'

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    I'd prefer not to have to turn the system off at night, because it's behind my desk and a pain to have to crawl under it and around a pylon just to turn it on every day.
    On my motherboard there are various options in the UEFI under the Advanced -> ACPI menu that let you power up the machine via PS2 or USB keyboard and/or mouse from a complete shutdown. It might only work with a specific key combination like Ctrl-Escape, you'll have to try it out. Saves having to crawl under the desk every day.

- - - Updated - - -

OT: Could there be an issue with peripherals plugged into the monitor and an upstream USB cable is used?