Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    On what makes good ambient sound, who remembers what sound these guys made? Shit used to wake me up at night back then, LOL.

I'm going to have to go into classic and retail with the sound on, now.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemah View Post
    On what makes good ambient sound, who remembers what sound these guys made? Shit used to wake me up at night back then, LOL.

I'm going to have to go into classic and retail with the sound on, now.
    You may have already been aware, but fun fact: The noise those dudes (Imps I think?) made were derived from recordings of camels. Once you hear it...

Quote Originally Posted by donjn View Post
    I love classic more than retail but it is not mutually exclusive for me. I do enjoy retail a little bit here and there but nothing compares to classic for me.

That being said I've been banging my head about why the two are so different. Other than the obvious UI changes, class changes, resolution and art style changes, NPCs, more cinematics, and linear story, what was it about WoW retail that has changed for me the most, making it less addictive.

Then I rolled a warrior in classic...

My experience with warriors is very little. I Never touched one in classic and maybe got one to 20 in WoD. In retail, I have a level 50 one and don't play with him much at all.

But playing a warrior in classic and leveling with Arms (Sword and Board) I discovered something, and then it all came back to me.

The sound effects have changed for the worse in retail.

Classic, especially when playing a melee class has all of these, I don't know how to put it, *clanks*, and *clinks* when you are hit and special loud *bonk* sounds when you block. Bows have the sound of wood stretching and the arrows make a loud whossh sound. Guns have a loud stock sound gunshot that may get tiring but it has an impact. Casting spells have this "air" sound like you are channeling something.

Next time you log in to retail, listen to sounds. Everything sounds like a wet noodle. Firing an arrow almost sounds like a wet splash and there is just no feeling of impact.

I believe in the human brain and how the sounds and feelings they create can cause someone to enjoy what they are doing and even so far as to become addicted (in a good way).

Heck, In Cata they redid some of the great music and made it worse (Darnasus theme I am looking at you, redone without the drums???)

Does anyone else feel this way?
    Maybe I should turn the sound in my game back on... Feel like I'm missing out now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Manglebeary View Post
    You may have already been aware, but fun fact: The noise those dudes (Imps I think?) made were derived from recordings of camels. Once you hear it...
    I looked 'em up. Fascinating, LOL. #themoreyouknow

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alanar View Post
    I loved the old sounds. One main thing for me was the sound of mindblast. It had a high pitch to it that realy made the impact and sound very mind like.

Always hated the favt they removed it.
    Everything in Shadow just sounds way too loud now
    I don't play WoW anymore smh.

I personally do enjoy new combat sounds quite a lot, but there are simply too many specs for me to outline them here. Some classes/specs gives me little dopamine jolt because they sound that good and it motivates me playing them.

However, if I don't like the way some spell or emote sounds, I just use "MuteSoundFile" addon to silence it. I've done it with Mag'har Orc and Zandalari races, because the combat roars became borderline undesirable to listen to.