Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Magical Mudcrab View Post
    We don't need to go any further than here for the Alliance. Hereditary titles are a thing and were often associated with the military (i.e.: Shogun is likely one of the most well known). The only faction that might take issue with this would be the Night Elves, as the Dwarves, Gnomes, Void Elves, and Gilneans would all have longstanding ties with the Alliance (the Void Elves with the first Grand Alliance) and would understand the process, the Pandaren would not care, and the Draenei would probably be OK with it as Anduin has a close relationship with Velen.
    I also think OP underestimates the value of personal ties among the leadership. Anduin has strong ties to just about every one of the Alliance's leadership, excepting Alleria, Turalyon, and Tyrande. His relationship with Alleria and Turalyon is one of respect, and that's why Turalyon was the one appointed regent (I know he's technically king of Stormwind but until such a time Anduin officially abdicates or Turalyon is officially coronated in a written source, his role is more that of a regent to the throne). Interpersonal ties make diplomacy significantly easier, as seen with Anduin's ability to steer Moira and Genn around to his way of thinking versus how badly he failed to bring Tyrande around, enough so that he had to delay his plans to provide Tyrande with suppport when she went off on her own.

Nobody else in the Alliance really has as many personal links among the leadership in the wake of Varian's death but Anduin. And with him taking on older, wiser minds with military experience as advisors, and (unlike Garrosh) actually listening to them, he's able to make up for his inexperience, allowing him to fill a more symbolic role as High King while also pulling his weight in the duties associated.
    Last edited by Thage; 2021-03-01 at 06:34 PM.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

As for the Horde being tribal? When you have a large society you're no longer a tribe and can rule it as one such. Gul'dan modeled Horde leadership exactly the way he did as it would make for a more effective war machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Overlordd View Post
    Anduin wouldn't of been able to inherit the High King title. Because that's a military rank...
    Says who? How do you know in Warcraft High King isn't just honorific? Regardless, Stormwind makes up the bulk of the Alliance... where their leader says go the Alliance goes. Gnomes, Gilneans, Kal'dorei, Ren'dorei are homeless... if Stormwind sounds a call to arms who is going to answer? Kul'Tirans are eager to prove themselves... Dwarves are ruled by a Council that have a long standing relationship with Stormwind. I'm not sure if canonically all Draenei left on the Vindicaar to Argus... but the fact that new Lightforged are sent to Stormwind to complete their training heavily implies this is the case. Only possible defectors would be Gnomes that leave to cohabitate with Mechagnomes in Mechagon. While it is possible nothing has given this impression. I believe the Kal'dorei are currently looking to move into Hyjal but that seems like a slow process especially when their leader is missing.

I've said it before... leave GoT out of WoW. The Alliance doesn't need infighting or artificial drama when there are real threats on the horizon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    No fucking way. The worst idea since democracy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Combatbulter View Post
    They made Mechatorque King, to unite all gnome kind under him, thus ending the only "democracy" in the Alliance.
    In fairness, I'd argue this is more a formality than anything. Mekkatorque has won every election since his first, suggesting that the gnomish meritocracy hasn't found anyone more suitable to lead than him over the long term--and his accomplishments are enough so that even the Gnomeregan fiasco wasn't enough to knock him off the pedestal. Couple with it the likely suspension of elections while the gnomes were in exile, and it stands to reason that the gnomes coronated Gelbin mostly because he's already about there regardless--he's synonymous with what the gnomes look for in a good leader during the mechagnome unlock scenario.

That said, I also have no doubts that once Mekkatorque is ready to step down and retire, the meritocratic democracy will be reinstated since the gnomes' sensibilities don't really leave room for the idea of advancement just because of who your father was. Mekkatorque's kid doesn't get a ticket to High Tinker/King without proving himself in what's sure to be a hotly-contested election once other inventors have an actual chance to get out from Mekkatorque's shadow.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Smallfruitbat View Post
    Any strength Anduin appeared to have came from being so morally righteous all the time. The trouble with the writing is that the horde have to be shown as bad guys to contrast what a great guy Anduin is.
    Indeed. It seems that the whole plot of BfA was to show how much of a swell fellow is Anduin. To that end, Sylvie got the Garrosh treatment, while the rest of the Horde leadership were looking for Andy's help with big puppy eyes, because no one had the balls/ovaries to challenge Sylv. They were all pitiable sadsacks, whose deep clinical depression wouldn't allow them to even lift a finger without previous knowledge and approval from the leader of the enemy faction.

But the most egregious case came from within the Alliance itself: even nelfs came to realise that in the end, Andy was right, as usual. Even if it meant getting their tree burnt up.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ClassicPeon View Post
    The alliance started as an alliance between the human kingdoms and evolved to incorporate some dwarves and elves.

Its primarily an alliance of the human kingdoms. Thats why the high king is a human.
    that was the Alliance of Lordaeron

the Grand Alliance only had Stormwind and Theramore with some few Stromic and Lordaeron stragglers until the said Alliance Lordaeronians were wiped out by the Horde and Gilneas, Stromgarde, and Kul Tiras rejoined recently
    The Alliance gets the Horde's most popular race. The Horde should get the Alliance's most popular race in return. Alteraci Humans for the Horde!

I make Warcraft 3 Reforged HD custom models and I'm also an HD model reviewer.

Quote Originally Posted by Combatbulter View Post
    If you look purely at the faction conflict, sure. But dwarves are known to slaughter kids/teens.
    Remind me, where? And if you're about to mumble "Taurajo" then I suggest you to go and read entire quest chain again.
    Garrison Mission Manager: Select best followers for BfA, Legion and WoD missions.
    Instance Spec: Switch to spec suitable for your role when "dungeon ready" pops up.
    LDB: WoW Token: Monitor WoW Token price changes in LDB display.
    Other addons: Quest Map with Details * LFG Filter for Premade Groups * Obvious Mail Expiration.

Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    King is a military position in ... Kingdoms. High King would be a military position above King.
    King is a monarch title... holy shit lmao

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kalium View Post
    Says who? How do you know in Warcraft High King isn't just honorific? Regardless, Stormwind makes up the bulk of the Alliance... where their leader says go the Alliance goes. Gnomes, Gilneans, Kal'dorei, Ren'dorei are homeless... if Stormwind sounds a call to arms who is going to answer? Kul'Tirans are eager to prove themselves... Dwarves are ruled by a Council that have a long standing relationship with Stormwind. I'm not sure if canonically all Draenei left on the Vindicaar to Argus... but the fact that new Lightforged are sent to Stormwind to complete their training heavily implies this is the case. Only possible defectors would be Gnomes that leave to cohabitate with Mechagnomes in Mechagon. While it is possible nothing has given this impression. I believe the Kal'dorei are currently looking to move into Hyjal but that seems like a slow process especially when their leader is missing.

I've said it before... leave GoT out of WoW. The Alliance doesn't need infighting or artificial drama when there are real threats on the horizon.
    You guys realise Metzen stated High King meant Supreme Commander of the Alliance right?
    Are you guys in favor of just retconning shit to whatever liking you guys want to do? Are you revisionists like that?

Congratulations, you can join the cast of garbage writers I adressed in my first post.

Back to reddit with the lot of you Blizzdrones in here.

And as for the moderator, if you ban me for this shit, might want to take a look at some posters here bringing up political terms and trying to derail the whole thread.
    Jesus Christ, can you guys educate yourselves atleast about lore.

If you're in favor of retcons, just write whatever shit you like as an opinion. For fucks sake.

Quote Originally Posted by Thage View Post
    In fairness, I'd argue this is more a formality than anything. Mekkatorque has won every election since his first, suggesting that the gnomish meritocracy hasn't found anyone more suitable to lead than him over the long term--and his accomplishments are enough so that even the Gnomeregan fiasco wasn't enough to knock him off the pedestal. Couple with it the likely suspension of elections while the gnomes were in exile, and it stands to reason that the gnomes coronated Gelbin mostly because he's already about there regardless--he's synonymous with what the gnomes look for in a good leader during the mechagnome unlock scenario.

That said, I also have no doubts that once Mekkatorque is ready to step down and retire, the meritocratic democracy will be reinstated since the gnomes' sensibilities don't really leave room for the idea of advancement just because of who your father was. Mekkatorque's kid doesn't get a ticket to High Tinker/King without proving himself in what's sure to be a hotly-contested election once other inventors have an actual chance to get out from Mekkatorque's shadow.
    I like to think Mekkatorque remains king because no other gnome wants the job. Dealing with the slow reclamation of Gnomeregan while attending military councils with the other Alliance races sounds positively dreadful and would probably get in the way of good, honest research and inventing.

Quote Originally Posted by Thage View Post
    I also think OP underestimates the value of personal ties among the leadership. Anduin has strong ties to just about every one of the Alliance's leadership, excepting Alleria, Turalyon, and Tyrande. His relationship with Alleria and Turalyon is one of respect, and that's why Turalyon was the one appointed regent (I know he's technically king of Stormwind but until such a time Anduin officially abdicates or Turalyon is officially coronated in a written source, his role is more that of a regent to the throne). Interpersonal ties make diplomacy significantly easier, as seen with Anduin's ability to steer Moira and Genn around to his way of thinking versus how badly he failed to bring Tyrande around, enough so that he had to delay his plans to provide Tyrande with suppport when she went off on her own.

Nobody else in the Alliance really has as many personal links among the leadership in the wake of Varian's death but Anduin. And with him taking on older, wiser minds with military experience as advisors, and (unlike Garrosh) actually listening to them, he's able to make up for his inexperience, allowing him to fill a more symbolic role as High King while also pulling his weight in the duties associated.
    I'm sorry, I thought this was an ALLIANCE, not happy faction of friendship where everyone is golly good friends with eachother and leaders just throw away their entire authority on their kingdoms aswell as their self respect because they're friends with an 18 year old boy

Absolutely ridiculous.

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    King is a monarch title... holy shit lmao
    Yes, and when the Monarch is in charge of the military ... what do you think their military title is?

Do you think they call them Supreme Commander? Commander in Chief? No, the title when a King is in charge of the military is King.

Seriously, titles can serve more than one function in a society.
    Last edited by Darththeo; 2021-03-02 at 01:19 AM.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    Yes, and when the Monarch is in charge of the military ... what do you think their military title is?

Do you think they call them Supreme Commander? Commander in Chief? No, the title when a King is in charge of the military is King.
    No that's called being a general. Lmao. You're really going to play all these mental gymnastics to justify Anduin inheriting a military rank? KEK

Actually, High King means... supreme commander.
    https://twitter.com/ChrisMetzen/stat...59705844957184

womp womp womp
    explain to me how Anduin can inherit a military title?
    Mind you, the King of Stormwind is a monarch title, not a military rank.

And High King has nothing to do with monarch status.
    Hell it's not even a king.

It's literally Metzen asspulling that dogfart of a title out of his ass to justify Varian acting like the Blue Warchief of the Alliance because the Alliance popularity was dwindling.

That didn't work, so instead they decided to shit over the Horde until they were at the same boring nuanced garbage the Alliance were at.

Quote Originally Posted by LarryFromHumanResources View Post
    PARTIALLY a military position with NUMEROUS other connotations
    Yes sir, I've come to apply as the military rank of Prince towards your army, please let me in I'm a good boy

Well you see Princes SOMETIMES lead armies so welcome aboard
    "My liege, before I can take control of your army I'll have to have sex with your daughter as standard procedure, if I may...?"

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rowaasr13 View Post
    Remind me, where? And if you're about to mumble "Taurajo" then I suggest you to go and read entire quest chain again.
    Stonespire genocide and Frostmane massacre?
    The Alliance gets the Horde's most popular race. The Horde should get the Alliance's most popular race in return. Alteraci Humans for the Horde!

I make Warcraft 3 Reforged HD custom models and I'm also an HD model reviewer.

7+ Year Old Account
    PARTIALLY a military position with NUMEROUS other connotations

Youve got a name with a title that carries with it MORE connotations than what it entails, its ridiculous
    I never claim it doesn't. So do you have any valid reason to be wasting me with your nonsense beside going "LOL ... this guy think Kings lead armies!"

- - - Updated - - -

No that's called being a general. Lmao. You're really going to play all these mental gymnastics to justify Anduin inheriting a military rank? .
    No, I am justifying the title of High King ... not Anduin inheriting it. Anduin inheriting it doesn't make much sense as it wasn't explained in game (or if it was, it wasn't something I can recall encountering).
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

10+ Year Old Account
    What kind of infighting was there? Jaina looking sad into the camera for 2 cinematics?
    We could explain, but your personal bias will just ignore it all so it really isn't worth the effort

I think to this issue "get over it" is the standard reply.

If Blizz wants him to be high-king, that is what he is and any excuse can be made up. None of the Alliance faction really look opposed to it. Nelves might ignore him, but that's it.

The logical reason from what i see is that the human army is just the lion share of the alliance military and the other races basically "help out".

Besides, isn't Turalyon in charge atm? Wish granted.

7+ Year Old Account
    Buddy you replied to my initial post saying that the title of "King" for an exclusiveoy military position was stupid.

If you don't want to continue the discussion stop replying lol I don't care

I say discussion like it hasn't just been me going "Why do we call football when the players pick the pigskin up and run with it, that's kinda dumb"

And you screeching "WELL THEY SOMETIMES KICK THE BALL"
    Where did I say King is "exclusiveoy" a title in the military ... I never did. I said it is a military title in Kingdoms ... which it is. That isn't saying it is exclusively militaristic. In a world where you have a bunch of King lead armies working together and you want to put one person in charge of all of the armies ... a High King or King above Kings, etc ... those terms make sense for the title, because you are saying someone has more control than other Kings.

Also, no, in your example, I would say it is a hold over from the fact it is a greatly modified descendant of the sport most of the world calls football. You know a factual argument, like the one I made.
    Last edited by Darththeo; 2021-03-02 at 02:48 AM.
    –The Sith Code

7+ Year Old Account
    I think it's stupid, they could've called it "High general", you do not. Im not sure how this became a massive deal but here we are.
    You are right, they could have called it High General or Supreme Commander or LarryFromHumanResources's Goat's Milkmaid.

You are also ignoring that High King is literally a real world title. Though, High King in WoW is exclusively militaristic in nature and in the real world it filled more variety of roles. You have every right to think "It's stupid" that's your opinion. But the argument "It doesn't make sense" is factually wrong.

Also, FYI ... General isn't exclusively militaristic either. It's main use and most common use in militaristic, but some religious orders have the title General too.

Im glad you highlighted a typo despite very clearly knowing what its supposed to say, incredible form
    You literally edited your post and chose not to correct the typo. I wouldn't have called it out if you hadn't done that. You edited it without correcting the typo.
    Last edited by Darththeo; 2021-03-02 at 03:04 AM.
    –The Sith Code