Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    So they listed it as a studio model? Glad you're catching up to how this works. It's unfortunate that you don't realize each of your responses just points out how ridiculous your original premise was to begin with.

Let us know when they get those Solar Roads in there.

- - - Updated - - -

What issues from 100 years ago? List them. Use cites.

The milestones are literally listed in the OP article. Why you haven't read it is already patently clear.
    you realise the test track solved none of the issues right?

Because all those engineers and companies and cities and countries don't know what you know?
    They're paid for what they're doing, why would they care? They're not investors. And if they were, they wouldn't be for long.

10+ Year Old Account
    Weird that a failed idea would go into a museum but alright.

Does no one understand the impossibility of having high-speed travel in a vacuum? Does anyone understand the difficulty in holding a fucking vacuum for hundreds and hundreds of miles?

So they listed it as a studio model? Glad you're catching up to how this works. It's unfortunate that you don't realize each of your responses just points out how ridiculous your original premise was to begin with.

Let us know when they get those Solar Roads in there.
    Look, I realize that no one here is going to be able to get through to a born-again cultist, but please, instead of the hyperloop puff-piece you linked, people should really read the Smithsonian's own description of the exhibit:

https://www.si.edu/newsdesk/releases...th-anniversary

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    you realise the test track solved none of the issues right?
    How you do square your internal and unrelenting irrational hatred for this project with the literal hundreds of engineers that think it feasible? Do you just know something all those insanely bright people don't?

I mean - do you really, honestly think, they haven't thought of those problems and have a solution? Seriously.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Weird that a failed idea would go into a museum but alright.
    Yep - totally failed idea. All those companies and cities and states and countries are just along for the ride. /s

It's so weird that four separate companies are working on this failed idea, and achieving milestones to boot. And the Smithsonian - they're obviously in on the scam as well, right?

Why do you call it a failed idea when it keeps moving forward?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Look, I realize that no one here is going to be able to get through to a born-again cultist, but please, instead of the hyperloop puff-piece you linked, people should really read the Smithsonian's own description of the exhibit:

https://www.si.edu/newsdesk/releases...th-anniversary
    Spare me - you lead the pack on the Haters Gonna Hate club. Your irrationality for this project specifically and Musk in general cracks me up every time you chime in with your nonsensical remarks. Not once have you offered any logical or rational reason to why this ongoing project won't work. You just hate for the sake of hating. Cult mentality indeed.

How you do square your internal and unrelenting irrational hatred for this project with the literal hundreds of engineers that think it feasible? Do you just know something all those insanely bright people don't?

I mean - do you really, honestly think, they haven't thought of those problems and have a solution? Seriously.
    Okay um dude... let's level..

They tested the idea on a track too small to get the train up to the actual speed it needs to run at. The vacuum level needed engineers who have critiqued it have already noted how it is virtually impossible to enforce a vacuum in such a space unless... you go with a method requiring so much money that you'd need to invent a new way of creating a vacuum.

The other issue is that you're in a small tube going 600 mph... elevation changes must be done over long distances else face a potential break... turns same deal.. so such a thing can't work in hilly, mountenous, areas.

Another thing... areas that go through heat and cold cycles that vary by a lot say.... new England or most of the north east.. and again you run into issues there...

"hundreds of paid engineers working on a project" so the fuck what?

You can say that about some software companies that had fucking stupid ideas.

"but people are working on it"

yeah for over a century.. and so far we are as close to solving it as we were over a century ago.

I don't get why you're taking this personal. Would a hyperloop be nice? Maybe? but the idea is impossible and a waste of money but sure let's give throwing TAX DOLLARS into this fucking pipe dream instead of actual rails
    Last edited by Themius; 2021-03-02 at 07:54 PM.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Okay um dude... let's level..

They tested the idea on a track too small to get the train up to the actual speed it needs to run at. The vacuum level needed engineers who have critiqued it have already noted how it is virtually impossible to enforce a vacuum in such a space unless... you go with a method requiring so much money that you'd need to invent a new way of creating a vacuum.

The other issue is that you're in a small tube going 600 mph... elevation changes must be done over long distances else face a potential break... turns same deal.. so such a thing can't work in hilly, mountenous, areas.

Another thing... areas that go through heat and cold cycles that vary by a lot say.... new England or most of the north east.. and again you run into issues there...

"hundreds of paid engineers working on a project" so the fuck what?

You can say that about some software companies that had fucking stupid ideas.

"but people are working on it"

yeah for over a century.. and so far we are as close to solving it as we were over a century ago.
    You're saying all of these things will literally NO CITATIONS. I love that you think I should take your word over the literal hundreds of engineers working on this project. Either cite something or admit this is your own personal jihad and there is nothing to back up your claims.

Your comments above may be right, hell, they sound right to me. And yet four companies and a couple dozen cities/states/countries are working on these projects. Why do you think you know what they don't? And if you do, where are your sources? And I'm not asking for sources on laws of physics, just to be clear - I mean specific issues that can't be resolved.

You're saying all of these things will literally NO CITATIONS. I love that you think I should take your word over the literal hundreds of engineers working on this project. Either cite something or admit this is your own personal jihad and there is nothing to back up your claims.

Your comments above may be right, hell, they sound right to me. And yet four companies and a couple dozen cities/states/countries are working on these projects. Why do you think you know what they don't? And if you do, where are your sources?
    The first patent to transport goods in tubes was taken out in 1799 by the British mechanical engineer and inventor George Medhurst. In 1812, Medhurst wrote a book detailing his idea of transporting passengers and goods through air-tight tubes using air propulsion.[204]

In the early 1800s, there were other similar systems proposed or experimented with and were generally known as an atmospheric railway although this term is also used for systems where the propulsion is provided by a separate pneumatic tube to the train tunnel itself.

One of the earliest was the Dalkey Atmospheric Railway which operated near Dublin between 1844 and 1854.

The Crystal Palace pneumatic railway operated in London around 1864 and used large fans, some 22 ft (6.7 m) in diameter, that were powered by a steam engine. The tunnels are now lost but the line operated successfully for over a year.

Operated from 1870 to 1873, the Beach Pneumatic Transit was a one-block-long prototype of an underground tube transport public transit system in New York City. The system worked at near-atmospheric pressure, and the passenger car moved by means of higher-pressure air applied to the back of the car while somewhat lower pressure was maintained on the front of the car.[205]

In the 1910s, vacuum trains were first described by American rocket pioneer Robert Goddard.[13] While the Hyperloop has significant innovations over early proposals for reduced pressure or vacuum-tube transportation apparatus, the work of Goddard "appears to have the greatest overlap with the Hyperloop"
    .[5]
    So.. 111 years later and where are we?

Also companies... companies... companies given tax dollars companies profiting off chasing a thing that is near impossible to create because of the demands such a system needs... because a company would never turn down 100mn in government funding to build prototypes of an impossible idea.

That was the whole premise of the Simpsons monorail episode....

Tell me... how did the f35 go? Why ever would they use trillions in taxpayer dollars to make something that is a shit product? Couldn't be because they profit off of it could it?

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    I don't get why you're taking this personal. Would a hyperloop be nice? Maybe? but the idea is impossible and a waste of money but sure let's give throwing TAX DOLLARS into this fucking pipe dream instead of actual rails
    I'm the only one not taking this personally. You and the Haters Group seem to have a vendetta against this project. I do not know why.

Your point above about the tax dollar allocation is, in my opinion, the best argument against the Hyperloop. Taking all those dollars and pushing them into already existing mass transit lines/buses would be a MUCH better spend.

- - - Updated - - -

So.. 111 years later and where are we?

Also companies... companies... companies given tax dollars companies profiting off chasing a thing that is near impossible to create because of the demands such a system needs... because a company would never turn down 100mn in government funding to build prototypes of an impossible idea.

That was the whole premise of the Simpsons monorail episode....

Tell me... how did the f35 go? Why ever would they use trillions in taxpayer dollars to make something that is a shit product? Couldn't be because they profit off of it could it?
    Where are we? Working on a couple dozen projects to bring the hyperloop to reality. Timelines indicate working 'loops by 2030.

Isn't the F35 up and running? Help me out here.

Still no cites to back your claim. Just want to confirm.
    Last edited by cubby; 2021-03-02 at 08:04 PM.

I'm the only one not taking this personally. You and the Haters Group seem to have a vendetta against this project. I do not know why.

Your point above about the tax dollar allocation is, in my opinion, the best argument against the Hyperloop. Taking all those dollars and pushing them into already existing mass transit lines/buses would be a MUCH better spend.

- - - Updated - - -

Still no cites to back your claim. Just want to confirm.
    I don't have a vendetta against it... it just logically isn't feasible.

Magnetic trains may work, at least that exists...

If you want a breakdown of the issues just watch a thunderf00t video. I personally have found the guy off-putting and a killjoy however.... he backs up his critiques and being a professional himself he explains the issue quite clearly.

Where are we? Working on a couple dozen projects to bring the hyperloop to reality. Timelines indicate working 'loops by 2030.
    Each a failure.

For instance... elon built a fucking hyperloop so close to fucking hill or mountain that it had to slow down before going half way and it needed to be much longer in order to get to proper speed.

utter failure... so then they move it to fucking virgnia which is even worse!

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    I don't have a vendetta against it... it just logically isn't feasible.

Magnetic trains may work, at least that exists...

If you want a breakdown of the issues just watch a thunderf00t video. I personally have found the guy off-putting and a killjoy however.... he backs up his critiques and being a professional himself he explains the issue quite clearly.
    And here we come back to the same loop - you somehow think you're right when we have thousands of people in four separate companies working with a couple dozen cities/states/countries to bring the Hyperloop to fruition.

You link no cites to back your claims.

- - - Updated - - -

Each a failure.

For instance... elon built a fucking hyperloop so close to fucking hill or mountain that it had to slow down before going half way and it needed to be much longer in order to get to proper speed.

utter failure... so then they move it to fucking virgnia which is even worse!
    So projects can't have setbacks? I mean, do you even understand how large engineering projects work? You call setbacks failures but ignore all the achievements.

And here we come back to the same loop - you somehow think you're right when we have thousands of people in four separate companies working with a couple dozen cities/states/countries to bring the Hyperloop to fruition.

You link no cites to back your claims.

- - - Updated - - -

So projects can't have setbacks? I mean, do you even understand how large engineering projects work? You call setbacks failures but ignore all the achievements.
    When you take the project and move it to a more hilly region and make it smaller.... when the original issue (besides all the others) was it was too close to a hill and too short....

I mean it is possible i guess if we just invent a new way to create a vacuum.... or we could use preexisting means which would be impossible (not enough money for that)

I mean you'd also need to build it off the ground for areas that have hills or mountains... and you'd have to figure out how to do turns over long distances without killing your passengers... so it's about as possible as it was in 1910.
    Last edited by Themius; 2021-03-02 at 08:17 PM.

Isn't the F35 up and running? Help me out here.
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidax...h=2b0393191b16

The old one, yes. The one they spent decades blowing money developing...not so much.

As to the topic at hand, I don't know why we're still getting excited over tech that's decade(s) away. Interesting, sure, but tons of practical challenges to overcome, plenty not addressed in Musk's white paper - https://www.imeche.org/news/news-art...s-decades-away

Sexy tech just gets a ton more eyeballs because it's sexy. What's sexy about a basic-ass high speed rail system? Not much, especially in the US where we suck at building them. What's sexy about Hyperloop? ELON MUSK! VACUUM TUBES! INSANE SPEEDS IN SMALL PODS! Sure, interesting and all, but this seems more like one of the, "Concept will be taken a different direction that's more practical, but this is the aspirational roots." and we'll look back at this like we looked back at the 1960's flying car concepts etc.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    When you take the project and move it to a more hilly region and make it smaller.... when the original issue (besides all the others) was it was too close to a hill and too short....

I mean it is possible i guess if we just invent a new way to create a vacuum.... or we could use preexisting means which would be impossible (not enough money for that)

I mean you'd also need to build it off the ground for areas that have hills or mountains... and you'd have to figure out how to do turns over long distances without killing your passengers... so it's about as possible as it was in 1910.
    Again - no cites. I don't know how to explain this to you any clearer. You're asking us to believe you over literally hundreds of engineers who are currently working on these projects. You're asking us to believe you know something they don't. And you're not citing anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post

The old one, yes. The one they spent decades blowing money developing...not so much.

As to the topic at hand, I don't know why we're still getting excited over tech that's decade(s) away. Interesting, sure, but tons of practical challenges to overcome, plenty not addressed in Musk's white paper - https://www.imeche.org/news/news-art...s-decades-away

Sexy tech just gets a ton more eyeballs because it's sexy. What's sexy about a basic-ass high speed rail system? Not much, especially in the US where we suck at building them. What's sexy about Hyperloop? ELON MUSK! VACUUM TUBES! INSANE SPEEDS IN SMALL PODS! Sure, interesting and all, but this seems more like one of the, "Concept will be taken a different direction that's more practical, but this is the aspirational roots." and we'll look back at this like we looked back at the 1960's flying car concepts etc.
    I was gonna say, exhibitions of that sort really have this energy:

Brought to you by Eastern Elon Airlines.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post

I don't know why people here are getting so personally excited over it either. I posted it because it was another milestone (the test run) that was going to be preserved in the Smithsonian.

I think, IIRC, your criticisms against it, the cost, the financial impact on municipalities, are very valid. And I'll be the first to admit this might not pan out in the end.

And even your source (thank you for that) shows it's not impossible/unfeasible, but just facing difficult challenges.

15+ Year Old Account
    Ill eager await thunderf00t to shit on Hyperloop yet again, gonna be great.
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

7+ Year Old Account
    Actually, it seems to be you guys not giving up on denying reality.
    Nah I never said it can't be done at a large scale, I'm sure it could be done eventually. I'm just skeptical that it will be cost efficient in the next 50 years and even if it is affordable in 50 years it may still be scrapped because by that time there could be a new and better and cheaper flight option which makes the HyperLoop obsolete.

I'll continue to support HyperLoop research and development up until the point that a competing (transportation) idea shows that it is more promising. It makes no sense to have a dog in this fight.
    Last edited by PC2; 2021-03-02 at 09:24 PM.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    Nah I never said it can't be done at a large scale, I'm sure it could be done eventually. I'm just skeptical that it will be cost efficient in the next 50 years and even if it is affordable in 50 years it may still be scrapped because by that time there could be a new and better and cheaper flight option which makes the HyperLoop obsolete.

I'll continue to support HyperLoop research and development up until the point that a competing (transportation) idea shows that it is more promising. It makes no sense to have a dog in this fight.
    I think your two criticisms above are the most feasible for why Hyperloop may not pan out. The cost factor being the biggest one. But yeah, we'll have to see.