Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Overlordd View Post
    MMORPG's do not survive in this era of gaming
    I think you mean MMORPG's that are a just a cheap copy of WoW without innovating anything do not survive in this era of gaming

Watch the lazy peons latest video about the state of mmo's including wow he makes some good points and it does look like shit.
    Do you hear the voices too?

Quote Originally Posted by bloodkin View Post
    However, there's something to be said about the RPG parts in wow. Without a doubt, wow is still and MMO, but the RPG elements have been smoothed over and devolved over time to a point that there is little to no choices you can make on how you build your char, all you do is pick a spec and that's about it, pick the correct talents, stick to the correct stat(s), which is all in a guide.
    By and large I agree, though covenants were at least an attempt to counter that.

Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    If botting isn't problem, then some optimizations could be done. Overall it's better to simply make client thin streaming one, because it would be universal. Because all that is needed - video and input support, every browser has now. But it would be less optimal. Of course something VNC/RDP-like would be more optimal, but it would complicate things. And something like SNES emulator would be super-optimal, but I'm not even sure, if it would bring some benefits and won't be exactly the same thik game client, we have now.
    Dont get where the snes emulator comes in. The closest thing to console emulation for pc gaming is using a VM to run windows on a linux host.

So is this a glorified: "I hate LFR/LFG"-Thread? It seems so.

Quote Originally Posted by mbit View Post
    Botting will stay either way. The most common bot is the screenreading type. Its much easier to write than one that injects itself into the game for simple things like fishing bots. I think endgame is ML based bots that will be undetectable because you can run them on external hardware and just pass the input. Theres no counterplay against that outside perhaps statistical behaviour analysis.
    Blizzard already does that.

MMORPGS is the single gaming genre that has the most potential out of any. It can be on top of all games, and be the king like it used to be.

the fact that mmorpgs are dying is not beucase of the genre it self. it is the fault of the games being bad

and guys, stop acting smart about wow technically being an mmo. we all know yes its technically an mmo, what we mean is that is no longer recognizeable as the mmo it used to be, and has strayed away from what made mmos good in the first place, thats why we say it...

obvsiously people still play, but its not on top of all games, so in relation to others, its dying

as for dataming, there are ways to design around it.
    Last edited by lolmmofuture; 2021-03-03 at 11:08 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The world part feels like it's only there to get you ready to go into instanced content. If you don't want to do instanced content there is hardly anything left for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Overlordd View Post
    And yes, a part of it is to blame with Blizzard still catering to E-sports.
    This is imo the biggest problem with current WoW, it feels like the rest of the game doesn't even matter to them anymore.
    Subarashii chin chin mono
    Kintama no kami aru

You have to make sacrifices. You can't design the perfect game.

With MMOs you have to sacrifice the competitive aspect in exchange for a grand scale game with lots of things going on.

Blizzard wants to design an e-sport so MMO aspects take a backseat.

Just take a look at vanilla vs SL design. In vanilla you reach the level cap and you're free. There are things you can do but they are never shoved in your face as THE thing to do. You can make gold. You can level alts. You can raid. You can just PvP. You can RP. All of those playstyles are valid.

SL has seasonal content overload and Blizzard is constantly yelling in your face "well, if you aren't doing M+, raiding or PvP you're not engaged in any of our endgame systems and you're going to miss out on all of these sick FOMO transmogs and achievements. Git gud, skrub". Even goldmaking has become a means to an end to buy boosts for said seasonal FOMO cosmetics.
    Last edited by Wilfire; 2021-03-03 at 11:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thes View Post
    Blizzard already does that.
    Sure, problem is everyone knows that and the better the bots get, the closer they look to real people which makes filtering them out increasingly harder.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilfire View Post
    You have to make sacrifices. You can't design the perfect game.

With MMOs you have to sacrifice the competitive aspect in exchange for a grand scale game with lots of things going on.

Blizzard wants to design an e-sport so MMO aspects take a backseat.

Just take a look at vanilla vs SL design. In vanilla you reach the level cap and you're free. There are things you can do but they are never shoved in your face as THE thing to do. You can make gold. You can level alts. You can raid. You can just PvP. You can RP. All of those playstyles are valid.

SL has seasonal content overload and Blizzard is constantly yelling in your face "well, if you aren't doing M+, raiding or PvP you're not engaged in any of our endgame systems and you're going to miss out on all of these sick FOMO transmogs and achievements. Git gud, skrub". Even goldmaking has become a means to an end to buy boosts for said seasonal FOMO cosmetics.
    i agree, but this is a wow problem, not an mmo problem

wow is the one thats fking it up

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Oh look, someone else who doesn't know what "Technically" means, Rubbish thread OP MMORPG's are doing just fine.

God I wish ESO had proper datamining. There are sites that do it and they are solid for spoilers but there is nothing nearly as effective as WoWHead's database and considering the VAST amount of collectibles (especially when it comes to furnishings) a better site than e.g. ESO-HUB would be very welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by lolmmofuture View Post
    i agree, but this is a wow problem, not an mmo problem

wow is the one thats fking it up
    WoW is the one that's fucking it up by drawing all of the MMO crowd and encouraging other MMOs to copy its design

People often confuse "dead or dying" with "isn't the most popular" these days. I don't think MMOs are as popular in a market share sense as they once were but they are far from "not surviving". It is like saying Pepsi is a dying company because Coke sells more soda. Truth is they are both fine weather you like one more than the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Deferionus View Post
    We had Thottbot in vanilla. I used it while leveling before BC came out lol.
    I remember that (and Alhakazam I think?), but I wasn't 100% sure on how they got the info.

But I distinctly remembered TBC's beta and datamining of stuff from it. That was back when Blizzard actively went after dataminers (some of them anyway). I remember people digging out armor, weapon, and mob models, then Blizzard C&Ding them, only for it to pop up elsewhere. Similar happened in WotLK. I believe they fully gave up around Cataclysm.

Quote Originally Posted by Wangming View Post
    Unlikely. FFXIV does everything in house so there is no open beta or even a PTR. To give WoW the same chance, you would need to remove both these things that have been parts of the game since it began.
    Yeah, it's not going to happen with WoW. The information was always available to us - it was just a question about how intensely and slavishly we'd pursue that knowledge.

That being said, FFXIV's process did manage to preserve just a hint of that mystery - that thrill of booting up an MMO for the first time.

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    Remember Allakhazam?
    I 'member.
    Quote Originally Posted by Minikin View Post
    "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never....BURN IT"
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    You are kinda joe Roganing this topic. Hardly have any actual knowledge other than what people have told you, and jumping into a discussion with people who have direct experience with it. Don't be Joe Rogan.

Bloodsail Admiral
    3+ Year Old Account
    The demise of wow has often been predicted here, and we aren't there yet. *But* it is clear that it's enduring a slow natural decline. Too many expansions in a row that were underwhelming and where Blizz failed to recapture the magic of earlier expansions like TBC or Wrath. I'm not sure they've even been able to match MoP ftm.

And now with Activision really pulling the strings more than ever now, people got bored and left SL more quickly than ever, and the design decisions in SL don't give me a lot of hope that Blizzard will be able to right the ship. In fact it's more the other direction, with Activision doubling down on a 2-year expansion cycle for both classic and modern wow. It backtracks on the prior plans to push content and expansions more quickly. That isn't happening. Regardless of how we feel from a love for wow standpoint, Activision is looking at the declining #'s and instead of pushing modern wow content out faster, the decision has been made to fill that gap with pushing out bi-annual classic expansions that take relatively little dev work by recycling content.

In a way it's a bit like the tax revenue in the real world. A neighborhood has crime go up, people/businesses leave, tax revenue goes down, and there's less money for police so it becomes a cycle. In the same way revenue and sales from gamers are the fuel for new content (normally). As those drop, and drop precipitously, Activision will put less dev money will go into the front end. And we've really seen that for a few expansions, where it's subtle but the real quality content is lighter and lighter. For example there are no new customizations, races, classes, etc. coming in SL patches, just dungeons and raids. Now committed to a real 2 year expansion cycle with just Classic expansions between and minor dungeon/raid patches for wow isn't enough to keep people around. If subs drop by 1/2 in 2 months, what happens in 12 months? Eventually as wow works it's way down the popularity list and less content is pushed out to wring the last drop of revenue out from hardcore wow lovers, it will someday get to the point of Activision just moving on. We aren't there yet, but it's slow death by a thousand internal cuts, not from a competitor's better mmo or even gamers getting tired of the mmorpg genre (look at Valheim).
    Last edited by Biglog; 2021-03-03 at 03:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AcidicSyn View Post
    I 'member.
    I do remember