Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Hmm.

Why doesn't every Senate go nuclear all the time on everything?

Answer that, and we'll come back to "the Senate has all the power". Which neither you, nor @Draco-Onis for that matter, have sufficiently answered why this has gone on for ten pages, if the Senate can just ignore the parliamentarian whenever they want. As opposed to, just to use a random example, once per Congress per topic.
    I just did, it's really not complicated bro, and you get it, as you acknowledged yesterday. Your thing you think exists, doesn't.

I'll make it even easier, that thread you have nearly 8,000 posts in, was the "trumps shitshow" thread, not the "stephen miller shitshow" thread. This is the biden/harris thread, not whatever their advisor's opinion thread is.
    Last edited by beanman12345; 2021-03-04 at 02:16 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    I just did, it's really not complicated bro, and you get it, as you acknowledged yesterday.
    No you didn't. You also didn't answer my direct question: why doesn't the Senate go nuclear all the time on everything? Why doesn't the Senate just flat-out ignore the parliamentarian every single time? Why do the individual tax cuts expire? Why didn't churches get a 501(c)3 boost?

Why doesn't the Senate, go nuclear all the time, on everything? Direct question. Go.

No you didn't. You also didn't answer my direct question: why doesn't the Senate go nuclear all the time on everything? Why doesn't the Senate just flat-out ignore the parliamentarian every single time? Why do the individual tax cuts expire? Why didn't churches get a 501(c)3 boost?

Why doesn't the Senate, go nuclear all the time, on everything? Direct question. Go.
    Citizen's united. BOOM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Citizen's united. BOOM.
    Citizens United is your answer to "Why doesn't the Senate go nuclear all the time on everything?"

...I think youi're going to explain that.

Citizens United is your answer to "Why doesn't the Senate go nuclear all the time on everything?"

...I think youi're going to explain that.
    Read my response above. I explained how in a 1 decade span, a senator went from anti-filibuster, to pro-filibuster, due to his bank account getting much larger, and letting that dictate his decision making.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm.

Because then they'd actually have to make difficult floor votes that they'd have to justify to their constituents rather than having the luxury of letting shit die quietly by procedure behind the scenes.

It's laziness and cowardice, nothing more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Read my response above. I explained how in a 1 decade span, a senator went from anti-filibuster, to pro-filibuster, due to his bank account getting much larger, and letting that dictate his decision making.
    I really think you're missing the question. Maybe if I rephrase it, this will work better.

The "nuclear option" is the ability @Vegas82 pointed out that allows the Senate to bypass one of its parliamentarian rules. It was used in 2013 once, it was used in 2017 once, for example.

It is not, however, used on every single Senate vote. It was not used, for example, on the tax cut for the rich despite the parliamentarian taking multiple objections. McConnell didn't use the nuclear option seventy times last year. He used it no times last year.

Why doesn't the Senate go nuclear, all the time, on everything?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Because then they'd actually have to make difficult floor votes that they'd have to justify to their constituents rather than having the luxury of letting shit die quietly by procedure behind the scenes.
    First of all, I appreciate an on-topic answer. Thank you.

I really think you're missing the question. Maybe if I rephrase it, this will work better.

The "nuclear option" is the ability @Vegas82 pointed out that allows the Senate to bypass one of its parliamentarian rules. It was used in 2013 once, it was used in 2017 once, for example.

It is not, however, used on every single Senate vote. It was not used, for example, on the tax cut for the rich despite the parliamentarian taking multiple objections. McConnell didn't use the nuclear option seventy times last year. He used it no times last year.

Why doesn't the Senate go nuclear, all the time, on everything?
    Dude, this "SCOTUS of the Senate" only exists in your head. No matter how you phrase your question, that's still the answer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dude, this "SCOTUS of the Senate" only exists in your head.
    That's not an answer. I am starting to wonder if you have an answer. "Citizen's United" was not an answer. Well, not a relevant one.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Reconciliation is another option, which is what was used for the tax cuts. As it’s being used for the stimulus. It skirts the 60 vote requirement as well.
    And I think you can only use that once/year.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Three times a year, but only once per relevant area. Spending, revenue, and debt limit are the three areas.
    Right, and the minimum wage was at the time part of a spending bill.

EDIT: Although the objection was "it can't be part of a spending bill"

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...e?ocid=msedgnt

BUT BUT BIG MAC'S WILL COST $20 DOLLARS EAAAAAAAAAAAACH!!

While in Denmark McD workers get $22 bucks an hour and benefits.....

the most recent Big Mac Index even states the burger currently costs around $4.87 in Denmark, cheaper than the average $5.66 cost in the U.S.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    This is hardly the first study on the topic, too.

That's not an answer. I am starting to wonder if you have an answer. "Citizen's United" was not an answer. Well, not a relevant one.

- - - Updated - - -

And I think you can only use that once/year.
    It is the answer to your question, no matter how many pages you gaslight.

Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...e?ocid=msedgnt

While in Denmark McD workers get $22 bucks an hour and benefits.....

the most recent Big Mac Index even states the burger currently costs around $4.87 in Denmark, cheaper than the average $5.66 cost in the U.S.
    Dude, srsly.

If American McDonalds are going to pay $22/hr without changing Big Mac prices that won't leave them any room to commit millions of dollars in wage theft. I just don't see how they'll be able to steal from their employees while paying them a fair wage.

deaths to covid 500,000+

deaths to a potato shaped toy without anatomical genitalia no longer being reffered to as mr: zero

​biden will fulfill his promise to eradicate covid, and yet the biggest issue of 2022 will be dr seuss and potato head
    we arent a serious country the fact that an actual policy of saving lives isnt enough to destroy the republican party, but then again thats republican 101

Pfft... If McDonald's was paying over $20hr almost every other business in retail and most manufacturing would be incensed since they wouldn't be able to keep workers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Pfft... If McDonald's was paying over $20hr almost every other business in retail and most manufacturing would be incensed since they wouldn't be able to keep workers.
    That might be one of the stronger arguments of the minimum wage. If everyone were to get $10, or $15, or $20, then this "arms race" would not happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    Dude, srsly.

If American McDonalds are going to pay $22/hr without changing Big Mac prices that won't leave them any room to commit millions of dollars in wage theft. I just don't see how they'll be able to steal from their employees while paying them a fair wage.
    And most likely due to much higher food standards the cost of making a Big Mac in Denmark will be higher than it is in the US too. Just to show how large the margin of profit probably is.

Hmm.

Answer that, and we'll come back to "the Senate has all the power". Which neither you, nor @Draco-Onis for that matter, have sufficiently answered why this has gone on for ten pages, if the Senate can just ignore the parliamentarian whenever they want. As opposed to, just to use a random example, once per Congress per topic.
    Because they want to use it against the opposition or themselves when it suits them, come on man you are much smarter than this you just don't want to admit you are wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

yup, I get dem's are a big tent party, it's harder to please them all, but this is still on them. They choose to handicap themselves by playing by some arbitrary rules, that republican's don't follow, and get away with as you said.

I mean, let's look at Manchin. A decade ago, he was all about getting rid of that filibuster. what happened? corruption happened. He's now head of energy committee, and who's in his pockets? fossil fuels. But that's on him. But even though that's on him, I still don't think this $15 is entirely on him, or even mostly on him. There is way more than enough political capital right now for 15$, to put the spins on his and a handful of others ass by the entire rest of the party, and he and they would roll over to that pressure and do it. And while a couple are trying, a couple is not enough. It is Biden, Harris and majority of senate democrats who is rolling over instead, this is on democrat senators as whole, who are choosing to throw that political capital away. Even with 100 pages, this "SCOTUS of the senate" would still not exist, it's just people not acknowledging they are trying to pass the buck.

And ironically, it's the people who are against ending the filibuster, who the filibuster is gonna bite them in the ass the most in the senate, since, HR-1 is about to land on their desks, won't pass cause filibuster, and who's elections will that effect and cause them to lose? Sinema, Manchin... I don't know if Biden will run again, but him too. they may not see it now, but in 2 years, when the house and senate is back in rep control, well, too late then.
    Basically this if Biden and the democrats don't pull their head out of their asses there will be no winning anything. If democrats do not stop the republicans they will rig the system so democrats never hold power again and they will bring their fascist clown to power in 2024. Those are the stakes but people like Breccia want to puff their chest about congressional traditions. The fascists are at the gates they just tried a violent insurrection the stakes couldn't be higher but hey maybe we can feel better about being the good guys when they take over cause we totes followed the rules when we had a chance to stop them.

I wish Biden had a "Jo" in his surname so that we could call him JoJo