So... Tomorrow is the day the lunatics think Trump is going to be inaugurated after the military makes us a country again instead of a corporation based in London. Stay safe folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Not surprising. Republicans are staunchly anti-science, so I don't think it would have swayed him from being a dumbass.

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    Can't Trump technically still run from office even in jail? as far as I know there is nothing in the constitution stopping a convicted felon from running.
    He can, but it's kinda hard to hold rallies and attend fundraisers.
    Last edited by Flarelaine; 2021-03-04 at 08:21 AM. Reason: grammar is hard, duh

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Resurgo View Post
    O...M...G...

This has to be the best ‘re-do’ of the CPAC National Anthem I’ve heard yet.

Blows away all the piano renditions I’ve heard so far!

https://youtu.be/AQ-O72WMRKo
    Holy shit... that's amazing!

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    So... Tomorrow is the day the lunatics think Trump is going to be inaugurated after the military makes us a country again instead of a corporation based in London. Stay safe folks.
    We've got the same nutters over here in Australia who are convinced that Australia is also not a country but a corporation, but based in the US instead. I wonder where the English nutters believe their corporation is based?

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    We've got the same nutters over here in Australia who are convinced that Australia is also not a country but a corporation, but based in the US instead. I wonder where the English nutters believe their corporation is based?
    Frankfurt?

Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    He can, but it's kinda hard to hold rallies and attend fundraisers.
    Evil finds a way it always does.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by postman1782 View Post
    Well, he would have a hard time doing it from jail, if he gets convicted on just about anything he is looking at. Because most of the stuff he is looking at jail time for, he is looking at more than a decade.
    There's a different judicial system for people like Trump (rich, white, connected and powerful) he isn't going to jail.

10+ Year Old Account
    You all know the words, sing along now!

"I never thought Trump would turn on me".
    -- the QAnon Shaman

I honestly believed and still believe that he cares about the Constitution, that he cares about the American people, and that's also why and you know it wounded me so deeply and why it disappointed me so greatly that I and others did not get a pardon
    In addition, his lawyers have gone further by saying on the record

He regrets very, very much having not just been duped by the president but by being in a position where he allowed that duping to put him in a position to make decisions he should not have made
    In other words, he's on the record as saying Trump tricked him into doing this, then left him to rot.

He's got some time to come to terms with the situation -- he faces up to 20 years in prison for being the figurehead of a murderous insurrection. Prosecutors have already asked he not be released from prison because murderous insurrection.

10+ Year Old Account

"I never thought Trump would turn on me".
    -- the QAnon Shaman

In addition, his lawyers have gone further by saying on the record

In other words, he's on the record as saying Trump tricked him into doing this, then left him to rot.

He's got some time to come to terms with the situation -- he faces up to 20 years in prison for being the figurehead of a murderous insurrection. Prosecutors have already asked he not be released from prison because murderous insurrection.
    It’s kinda funny that some of us, my self included, reacted to FBI looking for his identification, by linking videos of his saying his name and where he is from. I don’t think anyone has acknowledged that FBI likely had the same name and identity from his interviews... but, unlike us assuming he was saying the truth, FBI knew he was lying.

We shouldn’t trust anything this man has to say... His current character, is someone who is willing to do anything to not go to jail and thinks blaming Trump is the ticket.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    His current character, is someone who is willing to do anything to not go to jail and thinks blaming Trump is the ticket.
    Yes, funny how even the Trump supporters who proved how loyal they were to the point of committing multiple felonies in his name, are now blaming him.

I don't think it will work. I definitely hope it doesn't work, but this guy didn't have a gun to his head and (based on all evidence we have) has no diagnosed medical condition. If I tell you to murder the guy who canceled Firefly and you do it, maybe I'm breaking the law, but you definitely are.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    I agree, but that doesn't mean that well educated people are likely to be dragged under a Trumpian spell just as easily as non-educated ones. It just means that some of those well educated people who never learned an iota of moral fiber go on to try and profit from someone like Trump. And the the number of the people able to effectively do that is ultimately fairly small.
    Point being, education doesn't prevent people from grifting, using politics for personal gain, supporting people like Trump for their own weird reasons or necessarily affect morality which is a large part of what we're talking about here. So I'm skeptical, at best, that education will have any meaningful affect on what's going on here.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fugus View Post
    Yep.

Then I got a "Religious" friend of mine, I put it in quotes because he literally tried to tell me that "Science is going against GOD!" when it came to his political views and how far he went to support them.
    I agree with everything you're saying but wanted to touch on this specific piece.

Any religious conservative that seriously supports the Republicans, let alone Trump, after they literally made a golden idol of Trump for CPAC is an absolute fucking hypocrite. That's literally in their top 10 worst things you can do, so giving a pass to them for that, along with all the other shit they pull....the amount of cognitive dissonance is absolutely unreal. I just can't take any of them seriously anymore.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    they literally made a golden idol of Trump for CPAC
    Does anyone know if the aritst sold it yet? Last I saw, he wanted $100,000 but neither CPAC, the RNC, nor Trump bought it.

Does anyone know if the aritst sold it yet? Last I saw, he wanted $100,000 but neither CPAC, the RNC, nor Trump bought it.
    That's kind of irrelevant, it was at CPAC. Doesn't matter if they bought it or not, IMO.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's kind of irrelevant, it was at CPAC. Doesn't matter if they bought it or not, IMO.
    It's purely out of curiosity. The guy said he spent his life savings on a statue nobody asked for. I want to know it that bold move paid off, Cotton.

It's purely out of curiosity. The guy said he spent his life savings on a statue nobody asked for. I want to know it that bold move paid off, Cotton.
    Ah, misunderstood what you were getting at. I can't find anything about that specific one being purchased. But a couple of the stories do hint at the folks who had it made trying to make more of them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Point being, education doesn't prevent people from grifting, using politics for personal gain, supporting people like Trump for their own weird reasons or necessarily affect morality which is a large part of what we're talking about here. So I'm skeptical, at best, that education will have any meaningful affect on what's going on here.
    My point is that if education is a statistically significant predictor of whether someone is a crazed anti-Vaxxer, flat-earther, trump sycophant, etc, then education is obviously the best way to rectify those things.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    If we're singing a song about the QAnon Shaman Muffin Man it's this:

In an interview this morning, he said it wasn't an "attack" and that he went into the capital to spread "good vibes and positivity" and even stopped some insurrectionists from stealing muffins!

The guy's a farce.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't find anything about that specific one being purchased.
    Yeah, neither could I. Well, if it does sell, it'll be interesting to see who bougth it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    In an interview this morning, he said it wasn't an "attack"
    Farce indeed. If you have to break windows, doors, or skulls to get in, it's an attack. "I thought I was bringing joy to all the childrens" is not a legal defense to "OH MY GOD WHY DID YOU BREAK INTO MY HOUSE???"

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    My point is that if education is a statistically significant predictor of whether someone is a crazed anti-Vaxxer, flat-earther, trump sycophant, etc, then education is obviously the best way to rectify those things.
    That won't necessarily fix who they vote for though. They don't have to be a Trump sycophant to vote for him, they just have to dislike, disbelieve or be disenchanted enough with the other side enough to not vote for them.

I agree that higher education is a good way to educate folks on things like anti-vaxx, but I'm not convinced that will affect their vote. And stupid people will always exist, you can't force people to be educated. It's already required by law that they go to school, but there's no law that says they have to pass or that they have to understand and believe certain things. Will it help? Of course, but I'm skeptical that it would have enough of an impact to matter, at least not without other significant changes to infrastructure that really allows folks to take advantage of the education that's offered.

10+ Year Old Account
    That won't necessarily fix who they vote for though. They don't have to be a Trump sycophant to vote for him, they just have to dislike, disbelieve or be disenchanted enough with the other side enough to not vote for them.

I agree that higher education is a good way to educate folks on things like anti-vaxx, but I'm not convinced that will affect their vote. And stupid people will always exist, you can't force people to be educated. It's already required by law that they go to school, but there's no law that says they have to pass or that they have to understand and believe certain things. Will it help? Of course, but I'm skeptical that it would have enough of an impact to matter, at least not without other significant changes to infrastructure that really allows folks to take advantage of the education that's offered.
    But it does affect their votes. Trump led the polls in uneducated white males. Conversely, he did not lead in polls with educated people.

Like I said, there’s a fairly evident correlation between voting preference and education level. Especially as the GOP continues to abandon any sort of legitimate policy pretense for strict reactionary fear mongering.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.