Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    The vast number of those positions seems to be indicative of environment design requirements, which would go to making things like dungeons, raids, and new zones. While they might highlight character artist as well, it's worth noting that character artists at blizzard are responsible for monsters and so forth as well, not just player character models.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    People come, people go. Churn is a thing especially in IT development, art and coding categories. I'm sure that some went off to Riot, perhaps some others went off to whatever Morhaime is planning. But don't kid yourselves. It's very rare for people to just stay at one place for years and years in this business. They might be expanding as well.

They could also be advertising for positions just to see who might inquire. They've done that before and hired some good people out of it.

Don't read too much into job listings.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by BossManRoth View Post
    according to Bellular Google trends=subs
    It was reported by Superdata, which is part of a massive Media research conglomerate.

How they gathered this data, i don't know, but they've reported on this in the past, not just WoW, games industry as a whole.
    And taking that number in a void is also very dangerous, Superdata themselves wrote:

World of Warcraft player numbers fell back to normal levels as the excitement around November’s Shadowlands expansion subsided. From November to January, revenue fell by 61% and user numbers declined by 41% (these figures do not include China). This roughly matches the pattern seen for the past several expansions, though Shadowlands had a bigger launch.
    https://www.superdataresearch.com/bl...l-games-market

But it's not Bellular using YT trends and he agrees with Superdata that WoW gets in a lot of returning / new players with a new expansion but seems to sharply drop off afterwards for some time now, something that's not exactly a baseless speculation.
    Last edited by Kralljin; 2021-03-04 at 07:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Banshee View Post
    I wonder if this has anything to do with the "No more customization" outcry? Probably not but it is interesting that they're hiring for this many positions at the beginning of an expansion and so suddenly after said outcry. Maybe they really are low on artists? It could be just a coincidence. I'll be interested in seeing what these new artists come up with.

I'm sure they were all watching mmo-champion after blizzcon, saw 1 thread where people complained about customizations and started hiring 15 people in art.

Prepare .. 9.2 will give 4 new races, 20 allied races, 5 new slots, tiers sets, pvp sets, m+, normal, heroic, quest sets, all looking different

I'm going to be an optimist and go WORLD REVAMP!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Where can we see what companies pay artists to compare what they make?
    In countries with pay transparency laws.

Video game industry is mostly about artists. You need a lot of them to make a game as big as WoW. You don't need that many engineers or programmers but a lot of artists. Art assets can take a lot of time and effort to make and the process can't be automated. This listing has nothing to do with customization, they need more artists for some reaosn, that's it. Just read the position names, most of of them have nothing to do with character models.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BossManRoth View Post
    according to Bellular Google trends=subs

On topic, looks like they are gearing up to start development of the next xpac after losing quite a few artists
    Jesus, don't tell me Bellular reached so low he estimates subs from google trends. Even clickbaiters should have some limits.

It might be a reach to make an assumption like that but this might explain why the art and even music feels kinda lacking this expansion. It doesn't have much of a Warcraft feeling to me, but rather some other game using the same graphics. The art was the one thing they always did right and it would be sad to see it going downhill like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dracullus View Post
    Jesus, don't tell me Bellular reached so low he estimates subs from google trends. Even clickbaiters should have some limits.
    ...he hasn't.

And you'd even see if you just scroll up this very thread a little bit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    It was reported by Superdata, which is part of a massive Media research conglomerate.

How they gathered this data, i don't know, but they've reported on this in the past, not just WoW, games industry as a whole.
    And taking that number in a void is also very dangerous, Superdata themselves wrote:

https://www.superdataresearch.com/bl...l-games-market

But it's not Bellular using YT trends and he agrees with Superdata that WoW gets in a lot of returning / new players with a new expansion but seems to sharply drop off afterwards for some time now, something that's not exactly a baseless speculation.
    And by the way, WoWhead also made a post on their website about this Superdata report, so it's not just Bellular.

In other words, you fell victim to a shitposter instead of a clickbaiter, what an improvement.
    Last edited by Kralljin; 2021-03-04 at 09:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kranur View Post
    I'm sure they were all watching mmo-champion after blizzcon, saw 1 thread where people complained about customizations and started hiring 15 people in art.

Prepare .. 9.2 will give 4 new races, 20 allied races, 5 new slots, tiers sets, pvp sets, m+, normal, heroic, quest sets, all looking different
    No need to be a jerk. I said "probably not", "It could be just a coincidence", and "I wonder." I'm naïve about this kind of thing and I wanted to gain a better understanding. Obviously here was the worst place to do it. There are places other than MMO-Champion and there were multiple threads bemoaning Blizzard's decision on the official forums, there was quite a long and highly upvoted thread on r/Wow, people were taking issue with it on Wowhead and there were a couple articles written about it. There were caustic penis whistles there too. I'm sure you'd feel right at home.

My true thoughts were maybe Blizzard isn't paying their artists well and they're leaving for greener pastures where their efforts are better appreciated and paid.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Araevin View Post
    I'm going to be an optimist and go WORLD REVAMP!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

In countries with pay transparency laws.
    I'll jump on that train. A world revamp would be awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Vampyr78 View Post
    Video game industry is mostly about artists. You need a lot of them to make a game as big as WoW. You don't need that many engineers or programmers but a lot of artists. Art assets can take a lot of time and effort to make and the process can't be automated. This listing has nothing to do with customization, they need more artists for some reaosn, that's it. Just read the position names, most of of them have nothing to do with character models.
    Thank you for explaining this to me in a manner that didn't involve being an asshat. I appreciate it greatly. You are right most of those positions have NOTHING to do with character customization now that I've looked at it without a fever and some decent sleep. I am most excited to see what the environmental artists will create. WoW always had some of the most gorgeous and imaginatively designed environments and for the most part the art department has never let us down. Everything from them is tiptoppity! Too bad they probably aren't paid nearly what they should be for the visual feasts they've created. Some of the old art team must have left for greener pastures.
    On silken ebony wings the harbinger of death arrives.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Where can we see what companies pay artists to compare what they make?
    You can see some of the blizzard pay here from when employees where sharing salary’s a few months back. No idea if you can find other company’s.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...OOiSRFAKtwbe_g

Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Supposedly Riot pays considerably more than Blizzard, and allows more remote opportunities.

I can neither confirm nor deny that.
    Blizz has been pretty consistent about underpaying most positions because they had the pull of being able to say you work for blizzard. Riot is working on their MMO so I can imagine poaching people who have worked on wow is probably a win win right kind of art style and experience working with large scale mmo.

Professionals these days rarely spend more than 3-4 years at a single organization, stagnant wages and the impossibility of climbing the corporate ladder means the only way you can carve out wins for yourself is if you constantly jump jobs and renegotiate your salary every time. Each time, presenting your current salary and demanding a little bit more. Such is life in any corporatized job these days, especially tech and games. That's why large companies just keep applications open all the time.

Because church is expected, cheaper these days to accept losses and pay the cost of retraining new employees than to compensate them for their loyalty.

The higher skilled a new employee is, the less it costs to train them up to speed. Which is also why fresh grads and young workers are getting the shittiest end of the stick.