Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by tromage2 View Post
    After the last two seasons of GoT my expectations are very low on this one.
    As long as Dumb & Dumber are not the showrunners then the expectations for anything GoT does reach quite high levels.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindon View Post
    As long as Dumb & Dumber are not the showrunners then the expectations for anything GoT does reach quite high levels.
    They were decent showrunners until they started to think they were the reason the show was such a success and not the source material. Whenever they deviated from the books it became extremely evident that they were complete hacks when it came to writing.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tromage2 View Post
    After the last two seasons of GoT my expectations are very low on this one.
    I just hope it's decent enough, don't care if most don't watch, it's understandable they wouldn't want to.

Also no titties nor dragons will turn many people away...

Me, I just want to see bloodraven n goofball dunk, hopefully banter with egg will be good.
    Last edited by Ihavewaffles; 2021-03-04 at 03:47 PM.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    Yes, not even D&D could screw this up (while I dislike them, I have to admit they are damn awesome at adapting works that have already been done...I honestly blame lardass for spending his years eating donuts n never finishing his books...
    Well then you should blame HBO for paying people and commissioning a series that was so many books from being done.

Martin has never been a 'book every 2-3 years' writer. He wasn't close to finishing the series when they started scripting and shooting this show. To believe that by season 5-6 of the show (so 5-7 years later) he was somehow going to produce not just one...but 2+ books to wrap the series up is living in a fantasy. So at launch - someone was going to have to 'write the ending' that wasn't Martin.

Martin had established his writing pattern; HBO wanted to pay the bucks to start the show and that's who they picked to flush out whatever story (i'm sure they knew) wouldn't get completely finished. So blame HBO.

Me, I blame the people doing the bad writing and directing. *shrugs*
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

5+ Year Old Account
    somewhat off-topic, theories what happened to duncan n egg at Summerhall...

Summerhall: the tragedy that started Game of Thrones

Alt Shift X
    May 4, 2021

What happened at the mysterious tragedy of Summerhall? Did King Aegon V Targaryen (Egg) sacrifice people to hatch dragon eggs? Is Rhaegar the prince that was promised? Who is the ghost of High Heart?

5+ Year Old Account
    https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0175726/

‘Game of Thrones’ Prequel Series ‘Tales of Dunk and Egg’ at HBO Sets Steve Conrad to Write.

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/gam...ad-1235119192/
    By Joe Otterson - Nov 30, 2021 8:30am PT

The “Game of Thrones” prequel series “Tales of Dunk and Egg” at HBO has found its writer, Variety has learned from sources.

Steve Conrad has been tapped to serve as writer and executive producer on the potential series under his Elephant Pictures banner. As Variety exclusively reported in January 2021, the one-hour show would be based on the series of fantasy novellas by George R. R. Martin, which follow the adventures of Ser Duncan the Tall (Dunk) and a young Aegon V Targaryen (Egg) 90 years prior to the events of “A Song of Ice and Fire.”

Reps for HBO and Conrad declined to comment.

Conrad previously created the Amazon series “Patriot” as well as the current AMC stop-motion animation series “Ultra City Smiths.” He also co-created the Epix neo-noir series “Perpetual Grace LTD” starring Sir Ben Kingsley and Jimmi SImpson. Conrad directed multiple episodes of all three shows. On the film side, he is known for writing features such as “The Pursuit of Happyness,” “The Secret Life of Walter Mitty,” and “Wonder.”

He is repped by CAA and Weintraub Tobin Chediak Coleman Grodin Law.

Martin has published three novellas in the “Tales of Dunk and Egg” series to date: “The Hedge Knight” in 1998, “The Sworn Sword” in 2003, and “The Mystery Knight” in 2010. The three novellas were then collected and published together as “A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms” in 2015.

HBO has been looking to expand the “Game of Thrones” universe for some time now. The prequel series “House of the Dragon” is set to debut on the premium cabler sometime in 2022. That show is based on Martin’s book “Fire & Blood” and tells the story of the Targaryen civil war that became known as the Dance of the Dragons. There are several other “Game of Thrones” shows in various stages of development currently, including the series “10,000 Ships” and “Sea Snake.” There are also multiple animated “Game of Thrones” shows in the works at HBO Max.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Looks interesting - it will depend on so many things.

That Long Night with Naomi Watts sounded so interesting, and so much they could have done with it. I wonder why it was nixed.

I read all three stories a few years ago, and I do not regret the time spent, but this cannot be compared with the Game of Thrones. There are no giant battles, no dragons, no naked women. In addition, there is very little material for the film adaptation, there is barely enough even for one season ...

I cannot see a way this would pay itself off... An OK story, with absolutely nothing special and some connections to the preset GoT, nothing more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

5+ Year Old Account
    ‘Game Of Thrones’ Dunk & Egg Prequel ‘Knight Of Seven Kingdoms: The Hedge Night’ Gets HBO Series Order.

https://deadline.com/2023/04/hbo-ord...ht-1235323002/
    By Lynette Rice - April 12, 2023 10:39am

Another Game of Thrones series is on the way.

HBO announced during the Warner Bros. Discovery Max presentation Wednesday that it has given a series order to A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms: The Hedge Night, based on George R.R. Martin’s Dunk & Egg fantasy novellas.

The Game of Thrones prequel series is written and executive produced by Martin and Ira Parker. House of the Dragon co-creator/exec producer/showrunner Ryan Condal and Vince Gerardis will also executive produce.

Here’s the official logline: A century before the events of Game of Thrones, two unlikely heroes wandered Westeros… a young, naïve but courageous knight, Ser Duncan the Tall, and his diminutive squire, Egg. Set in an age when the Targaryen line still holds the Iron Throne and the memory of the last dragon has not yet passed from living memory, great destinies, powerful foes, and dangerous exploits all await these improbable and incomparable friends.

Known as Dunk & Egg, the drama was one of several prequel ideas in development at HBO behind House of the Dragon. The project, which went through multiple writers, had emerged as frontrunner for a series order over the past several months.

HBO has just started production on the second season of GoT prequel House of the Dragon. There’s also a Jon Snow spinoff in the works.

- - - Updated - - -

This article is too fawning over evil santa to my liking..

George R.R. Martin drops details on Game of Thrones spinoff A Knight of Seven Kingdoms

https://www.polygon.com/game-of-thro...elease-details
    By Matt Patches - Apr 17, 2023, 10:24am EDT

George R.R. Martin can’t stop writing. The pages might not be The Winds of Winter, much to A Song of Ice and Fire fans’ dismay, but no one can say the 74-year-old author doesn’t Do the Work. His latest project: A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms: The Hedge Knight, a new spinoff of Game of Thrones to join HBO and Max’s House of the Dragon, which is gearing up for a second season. A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms was previously announced along with plans to reboot HBO Max as “Max,” the rebranded streaming service set to launch on May 23.

Honestly it sounds like a bit of a headache! But wherever the media winds blow, Martin sails — not only will he produce the series like he has the previous two installments, but he’ll also pen all the episodes alongside House of the Dragon writer Ira Parker.

True to his web 1.0 lineage, the Max announcement prompted Martin to post an update on his blog about the development of the series, in which he clarified his intentions and hopes for the series. Fans of the authors’ prose are already familiar with the source material, a series of short novellas following the adventures of a knight, Ser Duncan the Tall, and his squire Egg, who in the history of Westeros goes on to become none other than King Aegon V Targaryen. “Dunk & Egg” are fan-favorite characters and were long been rumored to either be incorporated into the main Game of Thrones series, or spun off into their own show when the flagship series wrapped up. Now they’re finally getting their moment — but Martin was never going to give his readers the pleasure of hearing “Dunk & Egg” in an HBO show name. As he writes in his blog:

The working title will be A KNIGHT OF THE SEVEN KINGDOMS: THE HEDGE KNIGHT. Whether that will be the final title, I can’t say for sure… beyond saying that no, it won’t be called TALES OF DUNK & EGG or THE ADVENTURES OF DUNK & EGG or DUNK & EGG or anything along those lines. I love Dunk and I love Egg, and I know that fans refer to my novellas as “the Dunk & Egg stories,” sure, but there are millions of people out there who do not know the stories and the title needs to intrigue them too. If you don’t know the characters, DUNK & EGG sounds like a sitcom. LAVERNE & SHIRLEY. ABBOTT & COSTELLO. BEAVIS & BUTTHEAD. So, no. We want “knight” in the title. Knighthood and chivalry are central to the themes of these stories.

Martin says HBO has given A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms a full season 1 order of six episodes. He envisions the full series as a kind of anthology based on the three existing Dunk & Egg novellas: “The Hedge Knight,” “The Sworn Sword,” and “The Mystery Knight.”

“The Dunk & Egg novellas are fully-fleshed narratives more like the novels of A SONG OF ICE & FIRE than the imaginary history of FIRE & BLOOD,” Martin notes in his blog, “The stories are right there on the page, and our goal is to produce faithful adaptations of those tales for the screen.

The author also says that while the three novellas would comprise the first three seasons, he envisions the show going well beyond what already exists. The issue: He really wants to write a bunch of other Dunk & Egg novellas to inspire season 4 and beyond.

Before we reach the end of the published stories, I will need to find time to write all the other Dunk & Egg novellas that I have planned. There are… gulp… more of them than I had once thought. There’s “The Village Hero” and the Winterfell story, the one with the She-Wolves, and maybe I need to write that Dornish adventure too to slip in between “The Hedge Knight” and “The Sworn Sword,” and after that there are… ah… more. I just need to finish THE WINDS OF WINTER, and then do either A DREAM OF SPRING or volume two of FIRE & BLOOD, and slip in a new Dunk & Egg between each of those in my copious spare time… and that will keep me ahead of Ira and his merry crew… for a few more years.

The man works. Let’s not forget it.

There is no timeline for A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms: The Hedge Knight, but Martin says writing on the full season is well underway. Meanwhile, production on House of the Dragon season 2 began in mid-April for a suspected 2024 premiere. In December, Martin swore he only had 500 pages of Winds of Winter to write, so... who knows when we’ll get that. But hey, maybe you have three Dunk & Egg novellas to read. Do your work and give the man his space!

15+ Year Old Account
    Another prequel...*yawn*
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    Another prequel...*yawn*
    This is actually one of the few cases where I like prequals.

Westerosi history is rather fascinating, while the end of the TV series is rather...bland and not well regarded. You get stuck in a situation where you either have to drag all the actors back (and got has quite the cast many of whom have moved on to other things), or do a timeskip where you make up totally new stuff and end up referencing all this 'prequal stuff' to try and tie it all together.

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    Another prequel...*yawn*
    Self-contained stories in the GoT universe. Should be easy to film if they can reuse HotD resources. 6 episodes per season sounds about right, 3 books exist and it wouldn't matter at all if they stopped after 3 seasons.

The stories are quite good too. Telling the exploits of a lowly hedge knight for hire, basically action movies but also what it means to be(come) a knight. I look forward to the show.

5+ Year Old Account
    HBO Drama Chief Francesca Orsi On ‘Succession’ Finale & WGA Strike; ‘The Last Of Us’, ‘House Of The Dragon’, ‘White Lotus’, ‘Euphoria’ Updates & More.

https://deadline.com/2023/05/frances...on-1235374588/
    By Nellie Andreeva - May 26, 2023 7:28am

The plan is more of a creative one in that much of the reasoning behind it is that it has a smaller canvas, that there’s an intimacy to the visual canvas that allows us to generate the show faster than say House of the Dragon might turn around because there’s so much VFX. You may know based on the novellas that dragons don’t exist so by virtue of that it will be a faster piece to turn around given that we don’t have all these visual effect assets needing to deliver.

[The Hedge Knight would run] ideally year-to-year and arcing out a three-season series, which maps out the three novellas that George wrote. Of course, we’d like more beyond that, and George is continuing to think about the remaining novellas that he still wants to write but at this point, we have our eye on three seasons that would map out each book, each novella.

5+ Year Old Account
    Game of Thrones Fans, Rejoice! A New Prequel is on the Horizon

https://www.xfire.com/hbo-casting-an...rones-prequel/
    By: Ray AmpoloquioPublished: October 21, 2023

The universe of Westeros continues to grow. With the success of the 2019 conclusion to the epic fantasy series, Game of Thrones, and the record-breaking numbers of the spinoff, House of the Dragon, which gives a glimpse into the life and times of the incestuous Targaryen dynasty, HBO is expanding the universe further.

Recently, there are discussions about another Game of Thrones prequel in the making, A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms: The Hedge Knight.

While House of the Dragon brought us to a time when dragons dominated the skies and the Targaryens were at the height of their power, A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms will take fans to a period between the reign of dragons and the beginning of the original Game of Thrones series. It is an era where dragons are no longer alive, but their memories are fresh in the minds of the denizens of Westeros.

The upcoming show is based on the Dunk and Egg novellas by George R.R. Martin. These tales chronicle the adventures of Ser Duncan the Tall, affectionately known as Dunk, an enormous knight, simple yet kind-hearted, and his squire, Egg, who is secretly Aegon V Targaryen, the future King of Westeros and younger brother of Maester Aemon. The stories are inherently lighter in their tone compared to their more intense counterparts, providing an opportunity for fans to enjoy a fresh narrative flavor within the Game of Thrones universe.

Set during a time when the Targaryen dynasty was still firmly in power and the tales of the last dragon had not faded, the series will focus on the great destinies, formidable adversaries, and thrilling escapades of this unlikely duo. One of the most anticipated aspects of the first season is its depiction of how Dunk and Egg initially crossed paths during a tournament at Ashford Meadow.

After the end of the Hollywood writers' strike, which affected numerous projects, including this anticipated spinoff, the gears of production are now turning once more. Information has recently surfaced, courtesy of a casting call by the UK-based casting director, Lucy Bevan, hinting that casting for the new series has started. While the casting call didn't explicitly mention the show by name, the character descriptions unmistakably align with our two heroes:

A boy, aged 9-10, physically small but with wisdom beyond his years, showcasing confidence and wit. He should possess a neutral English accent, be white with blue/green eyes, and pale skin, and must be under 4'6" by March 2024.
    A soldier, aged between 18-25, who is notably tall and possesses great physical strength. He should be perceptive, thoughtful, and have a humble demeanor. The height requirement is at least 6'4".

Intriguingly, the casting also indicates that filming will start next year 2024, which is sooner than most expected. This is good news as this means that the official release date likely isn't going to be any later than 2026 if filming is finished by the end of the year.

While the Hollywood actors strike remains a concern for many American projects, A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms is a project that primarily casts British talent, potentially allowing the production to circumvent any restrictions imposed by the strike.

Adding to the enthusiasm surrounding this series is the involvement of esteemed figures from the realm of Westeros. A divisive figure for his otherworldly knack for procrastination, George R.R. Martin will lend his writing talents to the spin-off, marking his return to TV writing after his last contribution during Game of Thrones Season 4, notably remembered for the shocking Purple Wedding. The showrunner for this venture is Ira Parker, credited with penning fourth episode of the first season of House of the Dragon, King of the Narrow Sea. Furthermore, Ryan Condal, the showrunner for House of the Dragon, is also on board as one of its producers.

George R.R. Martin has previously intimated that the inaugural season might consist of six episodes, adapting the first novella, The Hedge Knight. Given there are two more published novellas, The Sworn Sword and The Mystery Knight, fans can look forward to seeing at least three engaging seasons, spread presumably through the latter half of the current decade.

While Westeros enthusiasts await the next chapter of this expansive universe, HBO is also gearing up for the release of House of the Dragon Season 2 in 2024, ensuring that the world of dragons, knights, and intrigue remains alive and captivating.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    I would enjoy another well done prequel. GoT was such a terrifically ended series, I hope they continue that with the Prequels.

Of the remaining characters after GoT ended, I would think Arya still carries a bit of a following. And her story line is literally wide open. Haven't seen anything on it being something pursued or not, and if Maisie is interested in continuing the character.

5+ Year Old Account
    Arya is cool, but where would they get writing from?..

Mr.Donut this week said,
    https://en.as.com/meristation/news/g...me-about-it-n/
    George RR Martin on ‘Winds of Winter’: ‘You guys don’t have to pester me about it”

Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    George RR Martin on ‘Winds of Winter’: ‘You guys don’t have to pester me about it”
    WE'RE WORRIED YOU'LL DIE.

Meanwhile Brandon Sanderson is rubbing his hands already, knowing full well who they're gonna call to finish a beloved fantasy series after the original writer kicks off.

Dude is just still salty that people hated the end of GoT since that's how he originally had it mapped out (and how he told the showrunners everything was going to shake out) and now he'll have to think of another series of events.

Or not, because he's rolling in money and he's not a real writer. Writers write.

Bro I guarantee you GRRM does not have Bran the Three-Eyed Raven sitting the throne of Westeros at the end of ASoIaF. It's a nonsensical ending.

He's literally a mystical figure who can see through all of time, a Stark and technically the last living male Stark, and he's gonna be a king in the south? Come on now.

I feel like he gave them Jon's parents/that Dany went mad/the Hodor backstory/Sansa ruling in the North, and that's about it. Even the show's killing of the Night's King makes no sense. The whole book is built around prophecy, none of which is in the show, unless you want to argue Azor Ahai is Arya.