Is induction cooking efficient?

I'm looking to buy a rice cooker and i'm comparing specs.

unit A (3 cup capacity) with electric heating element is rated 350W, and uses 15W in keep warm function.
    unit B (4 cup capcity) with induction heating is rated 1110W, and uses 45W in keep warm function.
    Both have cooking cycles of the same length.

At first i thought, oh i bet that 1110W is just peak power not the constant load so maybe it uses less power overall, but seeing how it also uses 3x the energy in keep warm function i doubt that. Asked the company about it and they said the induction one uses "slightly" more power.

Everywhere you can read that induction cooking is supposedly a lot more efficient than other methods. If it was a cooking hob i could see an argument being made that there is less waste heat, but these are rice cookers which are much more closed systems.

Anyone any idea how to make sense of this? my working theory atm is that the alleged efficiency is just a marketing speech half truth.

10+ Year Old Account
    If it's for a rice maker it doesn't matter.

If your rice maker has more than 1 button you fucked up.
    Driving on Sunshine.

PM for Tesla referral code.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorensen View Post
    If it's for a rice maker it doesn't matter.

If your rice maker has more than 1 button you fucked up.
    tried one of those 1 button ones, keep warm always burned the rice. gonna try one of them asian ones with fuzzy logic computer in it.

7+ Year Old Account
    lol how big is your monthly electrical bill? Even if you use a rice cooker that is one-third as efficient as your last one then you can't be talking about much more than a few dollars. Unless you're constantly cooking rice all day everyday.
    Last edited by PC2; 2021-03-04 at 08:43 PM.

i don't really care about the money, i just find it perplexing how it somehow manages to use 3x the power to do the same thing. most notably on keep warm.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellobolis View Post
    tried one of those 1 button ones, keep warm always burned the rice. gonna try one of them asian ones with fuzzy logic computer in it.
    If you're leaving your rice cooker on keep warm you're doing it wrong.

Obviously it'll dry it out and burn it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellobolis View Post
    Zojirushi is probably one of the, if not the leading brand for rice cookers.

Other rice cookers can do the job, but generally doesn't cook as well or intuitively as a Zojirushi.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    Zojirushi is probably one of the, if not the leading brand for rice cookers.
    yeah also one of the most expensive. i'm thinking either Cuckoo CR-0351F (electric) or Yum Asia Fuji (induction) currently.

the cuckoo is about €110. zojirushis made for european market are rare and the models i can find at €210-240 for similar capacity/functions.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    If you're leaving your rice cooker on keep warm you're doing it wrong.

Obviously it'll dry it out and burn it.
    all the micon ones advertise 18-24 hours before that should become an issue. kinda half the reason i want one.

i can perfectly understand why it happens in the 1 button ones though, seeing they aren't airtight.