7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by postman1782 View Post
    The House passed it, and the Senate will pass it as soon as it gets there, but Johnson is delaying it.
    Johnson is engaging is a political circus for the hell of it. Being obnoxious in Washington apparently pays well.

But since people here have insisted on losing their minds over a ( pointless ) delaying tactic it's also worth saying the bill needs to go back to the House given that it's a different version and they need to vote on it again.

The House is adjourned until March 8th by the way.

https://clerk.house.gov/

The Speaker announced that the House do now adjourn pursuant to section 5(a)(1)(B) of H. Res. 8. The next meeting is scheduled for 12:00 p.m. on March 8, 2021.
    Last edited by CostinR; 2021-03-05 at 01:19 AM.
    "Life is one long series of problems to solve. The more you solve, the better a man you become.... Tribulations spawn in life and over and over again we must stand our ground and face them."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CostinR View Post
    the bill needs to go back to the House given that it's a different version and they need to vote on it again.
    That's pretty standard, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    It is, and Nancy Pelosi has already indicated that it will pass.

The House is adjourned until March 8th by the way.
    You know that's just Monday, right?

7+ Year Old Account
    Yes it is fairly standard, but people are acting here as if the bill would just easily become law if not for the devil called Johnson. He's a pest putting on a show that ultimately means little even in how long it will take to get the bill signed into law...since the House is on recess. The Senate isn't leaving until they pass the bill.

What it really amounts to is that Johnson being an ass to his fellow senators by wasting their time in staying in D.C. when they would rather be home, nothing more or less.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    You know that's just Monday, right?
    And today is still late Thursday in D.C. as I type this and the Senate are staying in over the weekend.
    Last edited by CostinR; 2021-03-05 at 02:04 AM.
    "Life is one long series of problems to solve. The more you solve, the better a man you become.... Tribulations spawn in life and over and over again we must stand our ground and face them."

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes it is fairly standard, but people are acting here as if the bill would just easily become law if not for the devil called Johnson.
    The read I got was "Johnson is being a dick".

giggity

10+ Year Old Account
    The read I got was "Johnson is being a dick".

giggity
    I mean, apropos, since surely you've heard that the J&J vaccine is rising to the occasion?

Putting the Johnson back in Johnson.

The thrust of it all is this: The questionably-shaped chart delivers a load of good news. We're all horny at the idea of this pandemic ending (among other things), and thirsty for a drop of positivity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh man, if that came up at work I'd be sued.

giggity

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh man, if that came up at work I'd be sued.

giggity
    Scientists: *spends countless man hours endeavouring to create a marvel of modern medicine that will save countless lives*

Humans (and scientists): "Ha ha the graph looks like a dong"
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    "Ha ha the graph looks like a dong"
    Something something, injection joke.

In all seriousness, it is good to know that vaccinations are on or ahead of schedule, considering the handicapped start and the general resistance to science in the nation's ballsack/taint area.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    In the Covid Relief bill. Not ~ever~.

Try not to be so misinformed in the future
    Straw Man is all they have.

I swear there's like 8 posters here that come from a singular Discord for Strawman. I'm betting a cart of turnips on my hunch.

5+ Year Old Account
    Lol they censored him..

Afraid he might reveal some truths like before?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...e?ocid=msedgnt

BUT BUT BIG MAC'S WILL COST $20 DOLLARS EAAAAAAAAAAAACH!!

While in Denmark McD workers get $22 bucks an hour and benefits.....

the most recent Big Mac Index even states the burger currently costs around $4.87 in Denmark, cheaper than the average $5.66 cost in the U.S.
    Danes also have to pay much in taxes..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    Danes also have to pay much in taxes..
    Yeah, and as a result they don't tend to go into crippling medical or educational debt. The horror.

"I hereby motion to add the text 'My name is Ron Johnson and I'm a fucking idioit' to the bill."
    To be fair, the Dems required all bills be red aloud in English and Spanish as delay tactics I believe under Bush at some point. Calling out Johnson, for the dick he is is always appreciated, but this circus stuff happens routinely from both sides.

"I hereby motion to add the text 'My name is Ron Johnson and I'm a fucking idioit' to the bill."

- - - Updated - - -

"Biden under increasing media spotlight for lack of news conferences"

Yep, that's a headline only a Trump cultist could have written. Or, did I forget the part where he shut down the WHPC and had McEnemy lie nonstop for a year?

- - - Updated - - -

So easy, even a caveman could do it!

Quote Originally Posted by SirBeef View Post
    To be fair, the Dems required all bills be red aloud in English and Spanish as delay tactics I believe under Bush at some point. Calling out Johnson, for the dick he is is always appreciated, but this circus stuff happens routinely from both sides.
    Yeah but how many times did the Dems do it for emergency relief funding?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    Yeah but how many times did the Dems do it for emergency relief funding?
    3 Hours to go!!

Dems seem to have outplayed GOP on the Covid delay. After the all-night reading, Chris Van Hollen (D-MD) simply got up, proposed shortening the debate from 20 hours to 3 and no Republican including Ron Johnson (R-WI) was around to contest. In the end, the dramatic Bill reading delayed nothing.

If democrats were on the receiving end of a procedural owning like this; the following would be blasting it:
    • The WHCA
    • Politico Playbook
    • OK Boomer Girl
    • Stancil/buetler/bouie crowd
    • The Squad

Still no "Forcing the Vote" for $15 from the Budget Committee Chairman. I shoulda made that wager.

Quote Originally Posted by Milchshake View Post
    3 Hours to go!!

Dems seem to have outplayed GOP on the Covid delay. After the all-night reading, Chris Van Hollen (D-MD) simply got up, proposed shortening the debate from 20 hours to 3 and no Republican including Ron Johnson (R-WI) was around to contest. In the end, the dramatic Bill reading delayed nothing.

If democrats were on the receiving end of a procedural owning like this; the following would be blasting it:
    • The WHCA
    • Politico Playbook
    • OK Boomer Girl
    • Stancil/buetler/bouie crowd
    • The Squad

Still no "Forcing the Vote" for $15 from the Budget Committee Chairman. I shoulda made that wager.
    Honestly, if someone forces a bill to be read then all Senators should be forced to stay there until it is read in full. If they leave, they lose their right to vote on it AND make amendments on it. They also cannot be on their phone or anything else that is a distraction. If they use something as a distraction, they also lose their right to vote on it and make amendments.
    Last edited by gondrin; 2021-03-05 at 02:44 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gondrin View Post
    Honestly, if someone forces a bill to be read then all Senators should be forced to stay there until it is read in full. If they leave, they lose their right to vote on it AND make amendments on it.
    I get what you're going for, but all that would do is let the people going to vote "no" leave early since there would be no penalty for such. Meanwhile if someone about to vote "yes" had another commitment their vote would be removed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gondrin View Post
    Honestly, if someone forces a bill to be read then all Senators should be forced to stay there until it is read in full. If they leave, they lose their right to vote on it AND make amendments on it. They also cannot be on their phone or anything else that is a distraction. If they use something as a distraction, they also lose their right to vote on it and make amendments.
    No
    Creating more dumb rules for Senate is the opposite of what we need.

This is where Gamer Culture fails miserably at politics. Gamer culture reflex is to "Calvinball" the situation to up their preferred win rate. "Calvinball" is how we got to this point.

Interesting sounds like there may be a deal in the senate to lower unemployment pay out to 300 a week but add a tax break that makes 10,500 of it tax free and would be retroactive to payouts in 2020 and also extend out the payments from mid august to early October. With the tax break the difference between 300 and 400 a week if you are having deductions taken out is probably pretty minor. While it would be nice to get 400 a week after deductions the tax break + more certainty to cover most of the year may long term be better.