Question regarding Renown catch up system

Anyone of you know, the renown catch up system. How far can u rank up via dungeons?

Quote Originally Posted by fragnot77 View Post
    Anyone of you know, the renown catch up system. How far can u rank up via dungeons?
    afaik you can rank up via dungeons (or other catch up mechanics) up to previous week maximum, so if you want current max you can do all via catchup + two weekly renown q

oh and btw i think that you also have to do campaign, that cant be caught up by other methods, although im not sure about this
    Last edited by Lolites; 2021-03-09 at 07:30 PM.

The quickest way to do it seems to be to spam heroics with a premade group that are speed clearing it but overall its a relatively fast catch up process.

Relics legendary items are the real stumbling block for getting caught

Quote Originally Posted by Lolites View Post
    afaik you can rank up via dungeons (or other catch up mechanics) up to previous week maximum, so if you want current max you can do all via catchup + two weekly renown q
    Not sure why people keep saying this, because it's just not true.
    I already changed twice, and reached current max with just doing dungeons both times. Even after i turned in the weekly quests.

Quote Originally Posted by melvinvinyl View Post
    I already changed twice, and reached current max with just doing dungeons both times. Even after i turned in the weekly quests.
    Not sure what you're claiming is somehow different from what they are saying or maybe they are saying it wrong.

Renown catch up will bring you up to the previous week's maximum and if you HAVE completed the current week's 2 quests, it will bring you up to the current week's.

Quote Originally Posted by ohwell View Post
    Not sure what you're claiming is somehow different from what they are saying or maybe they are saying it wrong.

Renown catch up will bring you up to the previous week's maximum and if you HAVE completed the current week's 2 quests, it will bring you up to the current week's.
    Lolites was saying that you can't reach current max through dungeons, regardless of whether you've done the weeklies.

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    Lolites was saying that you can't reach current max through dungeons, regardless of whether you've done the weeklies.
    You can't if you haven't done them which they really didn't say either way.

If you've done them, the dungeons will get you the rest of the way. If you haven't it will no longer be offered once you reach the previous week's maximum.

i was not...
    i said catchups alone will get you to previou week maximum, and the last 2 renown to reach current maximum have to be done via the weekly q...
    although it doesnt matter whether you do the weekly q first or last, they are needed to reach current max

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by melvinvinyl View Post
    ME: "you have to do the weekly q to reach current max"
    YOU: "thats not true, i reached the current max even after i turned in the weekly q"

eh... what?!
    so yeah you reached current cap on changed covenant via dungeons only AFTER DOING THE WEEKLY Q, so as i said, if you want to reach current max you have to do the two weekly q...

It's stupid RNG. Chance is very low. I was spamming heroics in order to get out of Renown trap, but managed to get Renown only twice, that was completely ineffective.

P.S. And no, I wasn't near cap, so I couldn't hit that Covenant Campaign reserved levels. I was at ~18-20, while cap was already around 30.
    Last edited by WowIsDead64; 2021-03-09 at 07:05 AM.

I don't care about Wow 11.0, if it's not solo-MMO. No half-measures - just perfect xpack.

Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    It's stupid RNG. Chance is very low. I was spamming heroics in order to get out of Renown trap, but managed to get Renown only twice, that was completely ineffective.

P.S. And no, I wasn't near cap, so I couldn't hit that Covenant Campaign reserved levels. I was at ~18-20, while cap was already around 30.
    Yeah even raids isn't guaranteed. I think world bosses seem to be nearly if not 100%.

The further you are from the Cap the faster you can earn it.
    * Each Raid Boss Kill that can award loot, on LFR, Normal, Heroic, Mythic, will have a chance to award a renown rank.
    * Each End Boss from a Dungeon or the End Mythic + Chest has a chance to Award a Renown Rank,
    * Each World Boss if over 10 Renown Behind is Guaranteed to give a Rank, or a chance if Under 10 behind.
    * Callings have a Chance to award renown upon completion if at least 2 Weeks Behind (Will not award if 1 week behind Till the end of the following reset)
    * RBG / BG Have a Chance to Award a Renown Rank upon completion if at least 10 or More Renown Ranks Behind.
    * You can Not Gain renown ranks above 31 through these Methods as EACH Campaign quest for your covenant rewards a Rank, This is from the Testing i have done on Many Many alts, have completed Nfae on Leather/Mail/Cloth, and Completed Rivendreth on Mail/Cloth, and Necro on Plate/Mail, and Bastion on Plate/Leather.
    This is what i have found with ALL of my Alts, and i was able to do a FULL Lfr, Normal, and 3/10 H and got 21 Renown Ranks.
    Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler

If you are trying to AE tank and a bad dps is attacking the wrong target and dies, we call that justice.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolites View Post
    i was not...
    i said catchups alone will get you to previou week maximum, and the last 2 renown to reach current maximum have to be done via the weekly q...
    although it doesnt matter whether you do the weekly q first or last, they are needed to reach current max
    You just did it again. Dungeons are part of the catchup, so by your claims you cannot reach the current maximum through dungeons.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kikazz View Post
    * Callings have a Chance to award renown upon completion if at least 2 Weeks Behind (Will not award if 1 week behind Till the end of the following reset)
    Should probably be noted that they will show it as part of the quest rewards if they do. So it's not a random chance on completion, you can see if you will get one before you start.

* Each Raid Boss Kill that can award loot, on LFR, Normal, Heroic, Mythic, will have a chance to award a renown rank.
    * Each End Boss from a Dungeon or the End Mythic + Chest has a chance to Award a Renown Rank,
    * Each World Boss if over 10 Renown Behind is Guaranteed to give a Rank, or a chance if Under 10 behind.
    * RBG / BG Have a Chance to Award a Renown Rank upon completion if at least 10 or More Renown Ranks Behind.
    * You can Not Gain renown ranks above 31 through these Methods as EACH Campaign quest for your covenant rewards a Rank, This is from the Testing i have done on Many Many alts, have completed Nfae on Leather/Mail/Cloth, and Completed Rivendreth on Mail/Cloth, and Necro on Plate/Mail, and Bastion on Plate/Leather.
    This is what i have found with ALL of my Alts, and i was able to do a FULL Lfr, Normal, and 3/10 H and got 21 Renown Ranks.
    Not sure about that "1..2 weeks behind". Because my experience on my last alt was different. For example calling rewards. Only initial 3 were got without problems. Then they started to grant may be 1-2 Renown a week. And I was around 3 months behind.

Overall I believe, that there is some sort of hidden time-gated CD, like it was with loot from rares back in old 6.2 times.
    Last edited by WowIsDead64; 2021-03-09 at 09:30 AM.

I don't care about Wow 11.0, if it's not solo-MMO. No half-measures - just perfect xpack.

Not sure about that "1..2 weeks behind". Because my experience on my last alt was different. For example calling rewards. Only initial 3 were got without problems. Then they started to grant may be 1-2 Renown a week. And I was around 3 months behind.

Overall I believe, that there is some sort of hidden time-gated CD, like it was with loot from rares back in old 6.2 times.
    I thought you don't buy expansions until the .2 patch?

There's also only 16 weeks worth of Renown currently available in the first place. If you're 3 months behind, that effectively means you haven't done anything, not even the weeklies.

I thought you don't buy expansions until the .2 patch?

There's also only 16 weeks worth of Renown currently available in the first place. If you're 3 months behind, that effectively means you haven't done anything, not even the weeklies.
    May be it will be surprise for you, but alts start from scratch. If you start after 3 months since release - you're 3 months behind.

my two alts all the above work, i also got a renown rank from torgast (not TC) killing last boss on various levels

You just did it again. Dungeons are part of the catchup, so by your claims you cannot reach the current maximum through dungeons.
    which is true... if you want to reach current maximum you also have to do the two weekly q...
    if me writing it three times is not enough dont reply, just read it more times until you grasp it, its not that difficult...

nevermind, just noticed in other thread you quoted me you are not reading with comprehension...
    i suggest reading posts multiple times and actualy trying to understand it before commentiong, otherwise you make fool of youself... again...
    Last edited by Lolites; 2021-03-09 at 07:26 PM.

I just started playing shadowlands, i've been pretty casual about it I don't grind dngs I just do the odd mythic to learn the dng and get some ilvl and i'm 31 after 2 weeks. Now obv I didn't just do dngs, but my point is I got a renown drop in a mythic 0 last night at 30 so you know 31 is atleast possible.

- - - Updated - - -

Should probably be noted that they will show it as part of the quest rewards if they do. So it's not a random chance on completion, you can see if you will get one before you start.
    sometimes they dont and can reward renown regardless.

- - - Updated - - -

the callinngs wont award renown until the last 2-3 days of a reset i have found, i did have that in brackets in my post.
    Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler

If you are trying to AE tank and a bad dps is attacking the wrong target and dies, we call that justice.

I've completed level 23 on 4 characters and my experience has been almost the same. Guaranteed renown - covenant chapters, weeklies and world bosses. Callings - only initial 3 grant Renown. Then they just stop and grant it may be once in 3 days. I also noticed, that "epic" ones have greater chance to grant Renown, while I don't even understand, what is difference between "rare" and "epic" ones. Tried other sources. Torghast - 0 Renown. Just waste of time. Random heroics - first run dropped Renown, that made me optimistic about this source. Then I was trying to do it for about 3 days. No Renown. Then last one Renown level, I needed, finally dropped and I stopped doing it. Total - 2 Renown levels. As always, I guess, there is hidden time-gated CD there. No matter, how hard you try - is will take two weeks anyway. Overall I was getting stuck on my way from 1 to 23 for 2 times on every character. Getting stuck means - running out of Renown sources and being unable to get any Renown for 3-4 days, till next weekly reset in most cases.

Overall whole SL is about it. Things are time-gated. You try to find some workarounds, but nothing helps. Things are designed to be time gated and Blizzard have closed all loopholes. Game is no longer about "earning" rewards. It's about getting them, when Blizzard decide to give them to you - i.e. at some pre-designed speed. I tried 4 different approaches to 50-60 leveling. I tried 4 different approaches to Renown grind. Everything is slow and you can't do anything about it.
    Last edited by WowIsDead64; 2021-03-10 at 10:18 AM.