Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Myradin View Post
    Ultimately it takes 2 to be bipartisan. The thing is the Democrats already try to make actions that *should* be okay by both sides, but Republicans just say no because they don't want to get anything done.
    It's pretty obvious they would rather avoid giving the Dems anything that would be seen as a "win" rather than working together. This covid relief package is an excellent example. It's overwhelming popular and popular even by Republicans. However they know it passing would boost the Dem's popularity so rather than working together to find a middle ground that would benefit their constituents they try bad faith negotiations and sabotage to try to get no deal rather than have the Dems enjoy the optics of passing covid relief. This sort of pyrrhic politics isn't sustainable and is likely to keep damaging the GOP brand.

Its not like republicans are ever going to sign 'anti-automation' bills, that would be government control of businesses, they're just going to try and demonize the democrats environmental concerns and call it a day.
    Part of this is because by nature the conservative agenda isn't sustainable. You can block progress for only so long before it's inevitable. Social issues will continue to move more towards equality, climate change will continue to get worse, automation and globalization will continue to happen. All they can do is try to slow it down to appeal to their base. And again, this isn't sustainable -- and by alienating younger voters they are increasingly relying on a shrinking base to maintain power -- thus all the voter suppression efforts as they are fighting against time.
    Forum badass alert:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    It's called resistance / rebellion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    Also, one day the tables might turn.

Quote Originally Posted by Yas-Queen Rochana View Post
    My best advice would be for the Democratic Party and it's voters to do a lot of self-reflection as to why the other side does not want to cooperate with them. Half a nation does not suddenly think you're evil or villains for no reason. I also know I'm going to get a lot of responses to this 'controversial' statement, because the levels of incomprehension among americans (and even the europeans that grew up in the world image of an imperial-liberal USA) are rather extreme at the moment.

See the predictable replies below.
    That is literally what is happening. They are make up conspiracies like keeping kids in the basement of a pizza joints to paint the other side as evil.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    But you should, since they created this monster.

Decades a GOP lies and fearmongering about how every non-Republican is out to get them and is evil, and then we're supposed to be surprised when that group that's being radicalized turns into Vanilla ISIS? Or feel bad for the ones that radicalized them?

Nah.
    I meant you can't blame them for being scared, not that you can't blame them for creating those monsters. Could have worded that better.

Quote Originally Posted by Myradin View Post
    And of course republicans will block any attempt of doing so, and their voters will stamp their feet and demand we use coal until the end of time...
    Their stance on renewable energies is really weird to me. Shouldn't they aim to conserve the worlds lush meadows as they were 6000 years ago when god created our beautiful earth? How better do that than to get rid of all pollution and outlaw dumping waste into rivers etc...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    Their stance on renewable energies is really weird to me. Shouldn't they aim to conserve the worlds lush meadows as they were 6000 years ago when god created our beautiful earth? How better do that than to get rid of all pollution and outlaw dumping waste into rivers etc...
    The belief that Earth was created specifically as a resource for man to exploit the fuck out of is a very present theme in American conservatism, funnily enough.

Basically modern American conservatism is what would happen if John Calvin fucked and had a kid with Samuel P Huntington.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    Because it's actually a death cult that shares some naming similarity with Christianity. There's literally none of the ten commandments that has gone unbroken by Republicans.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

10+ Year Old Account
    2021 has been nice so far.

Democrats are learning. In 2009 they spent 18 months trying to get bipartisan consensus for the ACA. For it to never happen.
    2021 Democrats spent less than a week on bipartisanship, then just forged ahead.

So the idea that "bipartisanship is dead" seems to have normalized in all Dems except for maybe 1.5 senators.

Also in 2021, most of the MMOC/politics community sees through the bullshit of contrarian nihilist posters.

It's like the world has had it limit of bad faith and is course correcting a tad.

Quote Originally Posted by Milchshake View Post
    2021 has been nice so far.

Democrats are learning. In 2009 they spent 18 months trying to get bipartisan consensus for the ACA. For it to never happen.
    2021 Democrats spent less than a week on bipartisanship, then just forged ahead.

So the idea that "bipartisanship is dead" seems to have normalized in all Dems except for maybe 1.5 senators.

Also in 2021, most of the MMOC/politics community sees through the bullshit of contrarian nihilist posters.

It's like the world has had it limit of bad faith and is course correcting a tad.
    Meanwhile, there's talk about bipartisan voting rights act... the most stupid thing I could imagine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Low Hanging Fruit View Post
    Thanks for the reply to my post I suppose? The connections are amazing... I probably would have just hit reply without quote and then made a point on its own legs?
    I was just substantiating your post with events and an image for reference.

Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    Why are you so unhappy someone quoted you to agree with your post? Even if you don't like affirmation it should at worst be a neutral thing for you?
    I might have come off as “man splaining”...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Nastard View Post
    That hits the nail of the head. Politics in America, for a very long time now, has been all about doing whatever it takes to stay in power. Sometimes that means incidentally doing something good for the people because it helps your chances to stay in power, sometimes that means intentionally trying to sabotage the efforts of the other party trying to incidentally do something good because it helps them stay in power. Our politicians are little more than a divorced couple, and we're the children they sometimes buy a teddy bear for because they desperately need our devotion. Unfortunately in attempt to make us feel ire for the other parent, they keep slashing each others tires and now we can't go to school, to the grocery store, or go to doctors appointments. Our political structure is deeply flawed and it won't be getting better anytime soon.
    This whole line of thinking get shot down with one simple thing: the ACA, Dems pushed for it, they knew they where going to get nailed to the wall over it politically but it was the right move.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lobosan View Post
    Weak bait is weak.
    Hey, now... we should have some self reflection, why the party of Trump thinks we are evil... he grabbed them by their pussies, before we ever got the chance?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Dems want to lift the ban on earmarks because it might be the only thing that gets the GOP to the table.

The GOP presently doesn't care for them because it would actually require them to their jobs instead of stunting on Fox. Nevertheless actively fucking over their constituents won't work for some of them.

I don't really see 50 GOP senators in opposition. Sure 49 of them voted against the relief bill but it was going to pass with or with out them. 49 of them voting "No" was nothing more than a stunt.

My best advice would be for the Democratic Party and it's voters to do a lot of self-reflection as to why the other side does not want to cooperate with them. Half a nation does not suddenly think you're evil or villains for no reason. I also know I'm going to get a lot of responses to this 'controversial' statement, because the levels of incomprehension among americans (and even the europeans that grew up in the world image of an imperial-liberal USA) are rather extreme at the moment.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-b1814303.html

...are you Joe Manchin?

Because he still seems to think it's possible, and is even going to hold up any climate legislation if Republicans are "not included in the negotiations".

Also, the bolded is big authoritarian energy. Weird that the horseshoe seems to consistently fit.

bipartisanship - probably never - 2008. RIP

5+ Year Old Account

The half you speak of has seen any US citizen an “enemy” or a “threat” the moment they come out of a womb of a brown person.

So what should we brown skin toned humans reflect on? Choosing better “colored” parents next life cycle?

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Yep - as if it ever were alive. The GOP has no interest in helping the country, whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Yep - as if it ever were alive. The GOP has no interest in helping the country, whatsoever.
    Bipartisanship got the Covid Relief Bill passed. The Sanders wing of the democratic party came to agreement with the Manchin wing, and the rest of the party went along for the ride. People uninterested in creating a good bill were excluded from the debate, which is desirable.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega10 View Post
    Bipartisanship got the Covid Relief Bill passed. The Sanders wing of the democratic party came to agreement with the Manchin wing, and the rest of the party went along for the ride. People uninterested in creating a good bill were excluded from the debate, which is desirable.
    You're using the wrong word. Bipartisanship, where in more than one political party works together, is dead - the GOP has no interest in accomplishing anything.

Intra-party dealing is alive and well; and, as you pointed out, thank goodness, because it's the only way the COVID bill was passed.

(and I'm pretty sure you know all this - you're either looking for a forum fight or want to really make a VERY valid point regarding the total uselessness of the GOP)

Alliance

Good on the Republicans for voting against a measure that has little to do with helping the American people.
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD

Quote Originally Posted by Zeth Hawkins View Post
    Good on the Republicans for voting against a measure that has little to do with helping the American people.
    Really? You think this stimulus is going to do little to help the American people? Even though just about every expert, including REPUBLICAN Governors have said they are glad that it was passed? I have a question for you, who the fuck did you listen to, to get this ignorant take on the stimulus?

Quote Originally Posted by Zeth Hawkins View Post
    Man, the like, just blatant and brazen misinformation from y'all is still amusing. Do y'all honestly believe this malarky?