Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Stargate. Star Trek > Star wars.

Personally, I'd recommend a number of other sci-fi shows ahead of them - Babylon 5, Farscape, Firefly, Stargate or even The Orville.

But if I had to go with one, I'd go with Star Wars. At least the original trilogy and maybe one or two of the stand alone movies. Could never get into Star Trek. Too many Planet of the Hats. Too much world-building that made little sense if you thought about it.

Got to watch the best of both.
    For star trek:
    Star Trek the Original Series
    Star Trek the Next Generation
    Star Trek the Motion Picture from 1979

For Star Wars:
    The original trilogy Star Wars IV-VI
    Star Wars Clone Wars cartoon
    Star Wars the Mandalorian

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorrowseer View Post
    Stargate. Star Trek > Star wars.
    I don't know...I'd probably agreed with that a 3+ years ago but with how awful NuTrek is and how Kurtzman is trying to turn it into Star Wars, doing a piss poor job and just spends all the money on special effects with bargain basement writers, at least The Mandalorian is enjoyable and written by people who actually care a little about the franchise.

After season 3 of Discovery and them mocking Gene Roddenberry himself, there is no other conclusion I can see other than Kurtzman having fun defiling Star Trek.

I mean are we talking only movies for star wars, disney wars, expanded universe star wars? Same could be said for trek, only tv shows and movies or including the books, jjabrams verse?

I'd tell them to watch Babylon 5.

Every now and then... I just have to...

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Depends on the interests/age of the individual imo.
    Boiled down:
    Star Trek is about the spirit of discovery
    StarWars is about the spirit of man
    StarGate is about the spirit of teamwork
    Depending who you are, how old you are and where you are in life - one will be decidedly more appealing than the other. They're both great in general but as others have stated, filled with hits and misses too.
    Last edited by Tiwack; 2021-03-09 at 02:53 AM.
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Beloren View Post
    Someone who’s never watched em is thinking of giving them a try. They don’t have time for both because there is so much stuff especially when you count all the series.

You are told to pick one or recommend one. Which would you? Or how would you advise them of the two so they instead can make an informed choice?

Both have a lot of buzz and both are active again, described as the two biggest names in sci fi tv/movies. This has garnered the interest.
    It's pretty easy. If they want a more fantasy type movie go Star Wars. If they prefer something that's more sciency then Star Trek. The two franchises are very different.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Swnem View Post
    Currently, i would recommend Star trek.

As long as you aren't oversensitive over minorities being represented, i found great enjoyment watching it. Discovery gets better with each season. Very worthwhile.
    Picard was interesting but it felt contained. Given how Discovery kept getting better i expect Picard to get better in the following seasons.

Star wars is in a rut atm. The new trilogy is trash that shits all over the 6 first episodes and while the mandalorian was really good, now that Pedro Pascal walked and baby yoda is out of the picture they are gonna try to focus on Bobba Fett and it's certainly gonna lose the magic it had.
    Tbh your opinion on Star Wars is irrelevant. The person hasn't seen Star Wars so their view is not biased. In my opinion, that you even think the prequels are any good just shows how trash your opinion is. Being an original fan, not a second generationer, I found the latest trilogy to be pretty good. My childhood was already ruined by the prequels so I didn't have the hang ups that the 2nd generationers do. The last one was obviously the worst of the three though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

Quote Originally Posted by Kithelle View Post
    I don't know...I'd probably agreed with that a 3+ years ago but with how awful NuTrek is and how Kurtzman is trying to turn it into Star Wars, doing a piss poor job and just spends all the money on special effects with bargain basement writers, at least The Mandalorian is enjoyable and written by people who actually care a little about the franchise.

After season 3 of Discovery and them mocking Gene Roddenberry himself, there is no other conclusion I can see other than Kurtzman having fun defiling Star Trek.
    I like nutrek but for me its judged on its own merits, not as 'proper trek' so I can consider it not real star trek but also like it at the same time, I do like how they have acknowledged the Burnham messiah complex and tackled it a lot in the most recent series, and Saaru (sp) is a show stealer, the only thing I really don't like the casual 'banter' between the 3 engineers, i don't find it remotely entertaining or funny.

Also if you take away the Mandalorian Star Wars is pretty much dead :/

Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    It's pretty easy. If they want a more fantasy type movie go Star Wars. If they prefer something that's more sciency then Star Trek. The two franchises are very different.

- - - Updated - - -

Tbh your opinion on Star Wars is irrelevant. The person hasn't seen Star Wars so their view is not biased. In my opinion, that you even think the prequels are any good just shows how trash your opinion is. Being an original fan, not a second generationer, I found the latest trilogy to be pretty good. My childhood was already ruined by the prequels so I didn't have the hang ups that the 2nd generationers do. The last one was obviously the worst of the three though.
    As is yours. This is an opinion forum. Given you are in the minority though, i am not too upset. Besides i didn't say they were good, i said the new trilogy was much worse. The prequels are serviceable. They don't crap all over the original trilogy and mythos, the way that the latest one did.
    But notice how that is my opinion and not yours. Mind your own business, you are not entitled to my opinion. Don't forget to make a very immersive miraculously self splitting laser beam that travels instantly across multiple star systems with that. Because ridiculous is the new quality according to you. Keep it to yourself, thanks.
    Last edited by Swnem; 2021-03-09 at 04:23 PM.

I recently watched the movie Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker. The previous film, The Last Jedi, left a deeply positive impression on me.

star wars is a movie that I feel great and would recommend to you.

Most Star Trek is trash.

Deep Space Nine is extremely good season 3 on though.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post

Star Wars didn't become much about any technology until after the Original Films and Hell it didn't even have a social element to it either.
    I know I'm late but the ot is about a group of people rebelling and fighting against a fascist government.

The pt is about how a democracy have become that very fascist government.

I mean yeah it was told through a family drama, but saying it doesn't has social elements is just silly.

The mature clone wars and rebels episode also have a lot of social /political themes. Also Rogue One.

Also I'm not sure why are you trying to gatekeep so hard science fiction. Star Wars is a mix of sci-fi and fantasy, but the fantasy element don't negate the sci-fi.

Quote Originally Posted by hortrorog View Post
    Also I'm not sure why are you trying to gatekeep so hard science fiction. Star Wars is a mix of sci-fi and fantasy, but the fantasy element don't negate the sci-fi.
    "Sci fi" implies that there is a story emphasis on the mechanics and limitations of the technology. That is simply not the case in the George Lucas films. The tech is never explained or important in the movies and just serves as set dressing for character focused stories. You could transplant the Star Wars story to a traditional fantasy setting and the story wouldn't change at all (you can't transplant true sci fi stories to other settings just as easily because a lot of the story revolves around the workings and mechanics of explicitly sci fi technology). It isn't until The Last Jedi that the plot starts focusing on the limitations and mechanics of the tech, ie spaceship fuel.

Star Wars is fantasy. Space fantasy, space opera, call it whatever you like. But it's not sci fi.
    Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss; 2021-03-26 at 04:52 AM.

I never quite got into Star Trek but from the stuff I have been exposed to, I feel like Star Trek is probably the one out of the two you will get the most out of, if you are looking for something with a bit more thought put into it that asks some interesting questions. With that said there's schlocky Star Trek stuff too and I think unfortunately Star Wars is partly to blame for that.

With Star Wars I feel like you really gotta be able to look at it with a fresh non-biased way to get something out of it because if you go into Star Wars thinking "everyone LOVES this its gonna be great" you might end up being very let down. The original trilogy is great but the films themselves are still your fairly typical adventure movies, which depending on your taste might be good or might be bad. The prequels were a mess and the most recent films are unfortunately a good example of how to completely run a franchise into the ground in just a few years.

15+ Year Old Account
    Really an apples or oranges discussion.

Star Wars is mostly a serialized movie franchise with a few television shows. It leans towards fantasy and emphasizes action, adventure, and mysticism. Lots of action and lots of high budget spectacle.

Star Trek is a mostly episodic television franchise with a few decent movies. It leans towards hard science fiction and emphasizes problem solving, diplomacy, exploration, etc. Very minimal action and generally low budget, not including the most recent series that have tried to be more like Star Wars.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hortrorog View Post
    I know I'm late but the ot is about a group of people rebelling and fighting against a fascist government.

The pt is about how a democracy have become that very fascist government.

I mean yeah it was told through a family drama, but saying it doesn't has social elements is just silly.

The mature clone wars and rebels episode also have a lot of social /political themes. Also Rogue One.

It's a space opera which technically makes it sci-fi, but there is very little science in Star Wars. It's almost purely window dressing; you could tell the exact same stories in a medieval fantasy setting and you'd barely need to change anything. Hell, most of the stories are basically redressed samurai flicks and spaghetti westerns dressed up with laser swords and spaceships.

Pretty much the only true sci-fi elements in Star Wars are the clones and droids, and even then it only minimally deals with the scientific aspects and mainly uses them as an allegory for racial discrimination and oppression.

It's not gatekeeping, it's just the truth. Star Wars is as much sci-fi as the Marvel movies are.
    Last edited by Kathranis; 2021-04-10 at 08:51 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Star Trek feels more human and relatable so I'd choose it over Star Wars. I like the realism of The Expanse better than both of them but I feel its version of the future is too pessimistic, even though it makes for good drama.
    Last edited by PC2; 2021-04-10 at 09:44 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantera View Post
    I never quite got into Star Trek but from the stuff I have been exposed to, I feel like Star Trek is probably the one out of the two you will get the most out of, if you are looking for something with a bit more thought put into it that asks some interesting questions. With that said there's schlocky Star Trek stuff too and I think unfortunately Star Wars is partly to blame for that.

With Star Wars I feel like you really gotta be able to look at it with a fresh non-biased way to get something out of it because if you go into Star Wars thinking "everyone LOVES this its gonna be great" you might end up being very let down. The original trilogy is great but the films themselves are still your fairly typical adventure movies, which depending on your taste might be good or might be bad. The prequels were a mess and the most recent films are unfortunately a good example of how to completely run a franchise into the ground in just a few years.
    And the funny thing is there are people over at Disney who want to deliver a good experience, unfortunately there are a lot of people with agendas and people who will just toss any stupid little thing that pops into their head on paper...I mean come on a character that is a rock named geode who talks about sex? Truly is a reason they call it the "high" republic because they gotta be high writing this trash.