Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by RoutinelyWorgen View Post

Are you one person posting on multiple accounts to try and push a narrative?

...Whatever the case, my argument is there exists a sizeable demographic that has an interest in League's universe. Not whether or not said interest is higher relative to its playerbase when compared with WoW, that's besides the point?
    Way to jump to conclusions, Sherlock I don't know the other guy. Is it so strange that people might not agree with you? I am not here on a crusade to make you see why DW is not a bad character or anything, I don't care. Why even bring the lore thread in here? How does the guys comment about Malygos connect to mine about DW? What a shit way to push a narrative. Ahaha, This forum man.

There may be a demographic but it is not big enough to carry the hype for the game. If the game is actually based on League, people won't play it because of the lore but because it is League and includes their favorite champs. Nobody cares that Swain did X with Y champ or something, they care that it is Swain.

A quick look at the lolwiki shows they don't have any dedicated pages to lore, while WoW has a wiki just for that. You may not agree but for me it shows the difference in interest and invesment in the lore.

Hell, dota2 lore videos have more views than leagues and dota has way smaller player base.
    Last edited by Cazze; 2021-03-09 at 08:08 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cazze View Post
    A quick look at the lolwiki shows they don't have any dedicated pages to lore, while WoW has a wiki just for that. You may not agree but for me it shows the difference in interest and invesment in the lore.

Hell, dota2 lore videos have more views than leagues and dota has way smaller player base.
    Uh huh, https://leagueoflegends.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Lore https://universe.leagueoflegends.com/en_US/ https://map.leagueoflegends.com/en_US
    Would you be so nice as to provide an example of a Dota 2 lore video with high views then?
    So far everything you've said hasn't been based on fact and never bothered to put forth any substance to support your claims. I mean what does DotA 2 have anything to do with the League universe or Riot's efforts to develop an MMORPG? Dude, get help.

...As for the discussion at hand, how would this game impact WoW? Let's say that WoW continues on the trajectory it is right now and Riot's MMORPG has modern features such as housing, action combat and a fair monetization model. Due to the nature of technical limitations, WoW won't be able to compete with this title on equal footing. So my expectation would be that WoW becomes to Riot's MMO what Everquest became to WoW following its release.

Will it kill WoW? No. The game's turning 20 years old in 3 years from now, players who've stuck with it since Classic, TBC or Wrath aren't just going to let go that easily. That is to say WoW would retain a playerbase albeit one that's been significantly reduced, as the game remains as Blizzard's flagship title it wouldn't be a good look for it to be overshadowed by a competitor. They'd likely come under pressure to develop a sequel in response, at that point I wouldn't be surprised to see WoW go the way of HotS.
    Worgen hard, or hardly worgen?

Would you be so nice as to provide an example of a Dota 2 lore video with high views then?
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...G0W6Wv1j2C_Pfo
    quite a few videos ranging between 200k and 500k each.
    ...As for the discussion at hand, how would this game impact WoW? Let's say that WoW continues on the trajectory it is right now and Riot's MMORPG has modern features such as housing, action combat and a fair monetization model. Due to the nature of technical limitations, WoW won't be able to compete with this title on equal footing. So my expectation would be that WoW becomes to Riot's MMO what Everquest became to WoW following its release.
    why would they start now?
    Will it kill WoW? No. The game's turning 20 years old in 3 years from now, players who've stuck with it since Classic, TBC or Wrath aren't just going to let go that easily. That is to say WoW would retain a playerbase albeit one that's been significantly reduced, as the game remains as Blizzard's flagship title it wouldn't be a good look for it to be overshadowed by a competitor. They'd likely come under pressure to develop a sequel in response, at that point I wouldn't be surprised to see WoW go the way of HotS.
    why would you think a company that has no experience in developing mmos could "overshadow" a 20 year old franchise? is it impossible? no, but highly unlikely.
    as example take the spinoffs riot produced in the last year. has any of them overshadowed the giant in their genre?
    valorant is still dwarfed by csgo, legends of runeterra is still not "bigger" than hearthstone or MTG, dont know about that autobattler thing though.

im not saying riot makes bad games, far from it, but expecting to catch up to 20 years of genre know how is a bold assumption imho

Sounds interesting. And Riot can make good games, even if it is not everyones tea.

But! People should not forget that MMOs don't go particulaily well with lore and RPG combos. You are always on rails. The lol lore gets fleshed out more and more and they have kept enough open to make whatever they want. But the world and the lore is still quite chaotic and hte more you felsh it out the more you can create stuff that does not work together.
    I like the settings. But some if it just doesn't really work together for me.

I will definetly try. I just hope they don't make it tooooo asian. Like gender locked classes. Boobs galore. BUT it is riot. So it probably will be f2p with a ridicioulous amount of MTX and every piece of good looking armor will be in the shop or behind boxes you need months to earn without paying extra.

I HOPE it is more like wow with a minimal shop and monthly price. Worst case... FF14... monthly price and huge shop or even worse PoE where you cannot get anything good looking without paying.

Quote Originally Posted by VinceVega View Post
    Sounds interesting. And Riot can make good games, even if it is not everyones tea.

But! People should not forget that MMOs don't go particulaily well with lore and RPG combos. You are always on rails. The lol lore gets fleshed out more and more and they have kept enough open to make whatever they want. But the world and the lore is still quite chaotic and hte more you felsh it out the more you can create stuff that does not work together.

I will definetly try. I just hope they don't make it tooooo asian. Like gender locked classes. Boobs galore. BUT it is riot. So it probably will be f2p with a ridicioulous amount of MTX and every piece of good looking armor will be in the shop or behind boxes you need months to earn without paying extra.

I HOPE it is more like wow with a minimal shop and monthly price. Worst case... FF14... monthly price and huge shop or even worse PoE where you cannot get anything good looking without paying.
    I've never spent a dime on Runeterra and play like 10 games a week if that and have every single card including the new expansion cards that just dropped this week. The game gets better and better and has a surprisingly decent amount of depth and gobs of production value. My experience with Hearthstone was an immediate wall of players with straight up broken cards IN NORMAL games that I couldn't compete with my free cards, nor could I earn cards in any appreciable time frame via quests.

We know it will have MTX as that's the industry standard, just need to let them know it can't be egregious. I'd prefer a sub model tbh if the quality was there rather than F2P.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lagiacrux View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...G0W6Wv1j2C_Pfo
    quite a few videos ranging between 200k and 500k each.

why would they start now? <-(What the actual ****????????)

why would you think a company that has no experience in developing mmos could "overshadow" a 20 year old franchise? is it impossible? no, but highly unlikely.
    as example take the spinoffs riot produced in the last year. has any of them overshadowed the giant in their genre?
    valorant is still dwarfed by csgo, legends of runeterra is still not "bigger" than hearthstone or MTG, dont know about that autobattler thing though.

im not saying riot makes bad games, far from it, but expecting to catch up to 20 years of genre know how is a bold assumption imho
    "Quite a few" videos of which "more than a few" with upwards of a million views. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...-ZZ3mZHDHQlc1F

And WHAT? You think Legends of Runeterra or Valorant aren't fairly monetized by F2P standards? You people seem to care more about trying to steer the topic off-course with hot takes you base on literally nothing than actually contribute to the discussion. What is with your hate-boners for Riot? Jesus Christ.

Riot already has developers experienced in the MMO genre under their umbrella, Ghostcrawler included. And what do you mean catching up to 20 years of genre when only the past 2 years are actually relevant by that selfsame genre's standards. Valorant isn't dwarfed by CSGO, they're on relatively even footing if anything. Overwatch is dwarfed by Valorant however in the current climate, according to Twitch anyway for what it's worth. Not that you're in a position to question substance when you yourself don't present any in your arguments.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    I've never spent a dime on Runeterra and play like 10 games a week if that and have every single card including the new expansion cards that just dropped this week. The game gets better and better and has a surprisingly decent amount of depth and gobs of production value. My experience with Hearthstone was an immediate wall of players with straight up broken cards IN NORMAL games that I couldn't compete with my free cards, nor could I earn cards in any appreciable time frame via quests.

We know it will have MTX as that's the industry standard, just need to let them know it can't be egregious. I'd prefer a sub model tbh if the quality was there rather than F2P.
    Greg Street has actually gone on record to question whether a subscription model would work nowadays, https://twitter.com/Ghostcrawler/sta...61866031579136

MMOs being so expensive to produce, I figure it will be B2P to some extent.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by VinceVega View Post
    I beg to differ. The things ESO, XIV and WoW share in common is that their worlds are based on pre-existing properties that people were already invested in. So naturally one would expect players that have an interest in League's universe to at the very least give this new MMORPG a try.
    Worgen hard, or hardly worgen?

It boggles my mind that someone would go through the trouble of making another mmo game, it's such a dying breed.

Legends of Runeterra is out of this world...is quite literally incredible how F2P friendly it is.
    Glad to see someone knows this and is not just me

If this new MMO has anything to do with LoL, I will have no interest in it and from my understanding it will revolve that universe. Nothing ever grabbed my interest with LoL even when I was younger and having peer pressure from people.

My understanding how it ever did a decent job of acquiring customers is all championship events. (e-sports) So I would assume a lot of people flocked there for greed. Then all I read is articles how this is one of the most toxic environments in the gaming industry. (If the not the number one on a lot of lists) It's not hard to put two and two together. Which means the draw had nothing to do with the universe or content.

I'm all for having better rewards and competition in games that doesn't bother me. Encouraging a very toxic environment and promoting bad behavior is a whole other level. Which there are very bad repercussions to this. Anyone want to inform me if the game is still doing well? (Not in profit but playerbase.)
    Last edited by Icelin; 2021-03-09 at 02:56 PM.

wont play it if its weeby like league
    and by weeby if you look at leagues champion page you what i mean 80% of characters are some form of this

im sure it will sell well espec in asia but not for me and dont think it will be for western audience
    Last edited by arandomuser; 2021-03-09 at 02:58 PM.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Apparently it's based on LoL's lore, which is already full of retcons and horrible characters like that k-pop girls who uses music to save the day.

Hard to have enthusiasm for a RPG when it's lore is basically a meme - unless it isn't a RPG, then it's fine. You don't need good lore for Mobas (LoL is proof enough), probably don't need good lore for whatever MMO they want to make.

"Quite a few" videos of which "more than a few" with upwards of a million views. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...-ZZ3mZHDHQlc1F

And WHAT? You think Legends of Runeterra or Valorant aren't fairly monetized by F2P standards? You people seem to care more about trying to steer the topic off-course with hot takes you base on literally nothing than actually contribute to the discussion. What is with your hate-boners for Riot? Jesus Christ.

Riot already has developers experienced in the MMO genre under their umbrella, Ghostcrawler included. And what do you mean catching up to 20 years of genre when only the past 2 years are actually relevant by that selfsame genre's standards. Valorant isn't dwarfed by CSGO, they're on relatively even footing if anything. Overwatch is dwarfed by Valorant however in the current climate, according to Twitch anyway for what it's worth. Not that you're in a position to question substance when you yourself don't present any in your arguments.

- - - Updated - - -

Greg Street has actually gone on record to question whether a subscription model would work nowadays, https://twitter.com/Ghostcrawler/sta...61866031579136

MMOs being so expensive to produce, I figure it will be B2P to some extent.

- - - Updated - - -

I beg to differ. The things ESO, XIV and WoW share in common is that their worlds are based on pre-existing properties that people were already invested in. So naturally one would expect players that have an interest in League's universe to at the very least give this new MMORPG a try.
    I did not say otherwise^^
    Just, that an allready chaotic lore could quite easily drift into nonsense in an MMO setting. Especially the widley different settings runeterra has.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Uh huh.

I've never heard anyone talk about the LoL setting or lore. Ever.

The only LoL characters I know are the eskimo kid with the bear, and Phamtom Lancer.

- - - Updated - - -

The eskimo kid with the bear is cute. He should be a party member in a LoL RPG.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh wait wasn't there a guy who was on the edge of being taken over by his demon possessed scythe? That's cool. He should be a party member too.

- - - Updated - - -

I mean, that's the thing. A LoL MMO doesn't interest me. But a LoL RPG would.
    Whats with the racial slur?

Cardgames are f*ed-up everywhere tbh^^
    I was talking mainly about cosmetics. I don#t hink riot would implement p2w stuff. MMOs don't work praticual well in the west that do that.
    And when it comes to comestics Riot is quite... greedy. And it works for them so i am quite sure we will have maaaaaaaany MTX in the game for the most ebautiful sets and some 0815 armor and stuff for everyone ingame.
    I will take alook into it anyway. But the look of a character is an important part for an MMO and for any RPG tbh. So if you look like a farmer unless you buy stuff... this would make the game nearly unplayable for me.
    inb4: look and grpahics is not everything: True but it is a big part of games like this.

i linked the dota playlist because you wanted videos with "high" viewcount. i presented one.

and no, i dont think F2P games are fairly monetized. not a single one of them. if they were, they wouldnt be able to exist. you can argue that riot games has fair monetization FOR A F2P GAME, but i couldnt comment on that.

regarding the "hate-boner" for riot, i can guarantee that i dont have nothing more than a general dislike of the company. and to be fair, the company makes it pretty hard to like them ...
    - https://www.latimes.com/business/tec...ion-settlement
    - https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...nt/ar-BB1dzKTu
    - https://www.wsj.com/articles/tencent...mes-1450342769
    - https://www.pcgamer.com/the-controve...are-explained/

just to name a few reason from the top of my head.

regarding the statement that only 2 years matter for genre standards i disagree. i condede the point about ghostcrawler though, he will be a huge asset. the whole valorant vs csgo debate is practically nonstarter. valorant doesnt report playerstats, so we have no way to compare. on twitch numbers (which dont mean a lot) they seem pretty even, but i know csgo had crazy good playerstats in the last 12 months with topping 1mill concurrent quite regularly.

just my 2 cents, you might wanna take a less aggressive tone if you want to debate.

10+ Year Old Account
    Riot and Tencent is in bed with eachother, no thanks, ccp aint getting my money

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by A Chozo View Post
    Apparently it's based on LoL's lore, which is already full of retcons and horrible characters like that k-pop girls who uses music to save the day.

Hard to have enthusiasm for a RPG when it's lore is basically a meme - unless it isn't a RPG, then it's fine. You don't need good lore for Mobas (LoL is proof enough), probably don't need good lore for whatever MMO they want to make.
    From what I understand what’s her face Kpop girl uses music to try and being the people of Zuan (exploited under class) to gather with piltover (exploiters) which isn’t a bad concept for a young idealist.

The bigger issues with her character is that her music thingy is powered of a fractured soul of a genocided race and she acts like said soul splinter is her buddy.
    Last edited by Lorgar Aurelian; 2021-03-09 at 03:43 PM.

I just wanted to add, just because I have no interest in the new LoL MMO. Doesn't mean it would not appeal to other people. It's just I am not going near it.

I've tried to offer World of Warcraft numerous suggestions of promoting teamwork on a grand scale. (Most MMO's should have this) I wish we still had activities like Wintergrasp, Tol Barad, Ashran, Warfront etcs. One of my favorite things about GW2 was WvW. Nothing for SLs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kixxenn View Post
    I just wanted to add, just because I have no interest in the new LoL MMO. Doesn't mean it would not appeal to other people. It's just I am not going near it.

I've tried to offer World of Warcraft numerous suggestions of promoting teamwork on a grand scale. (Most MMO's should have this) I wish we still had activities like Wintergrasp, Tol Barad, Ashran, Warfront etcs. One of my favorite things about GW2 was WvW. Nothing for SLs.
    why no intrest? we dont know anything about it

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by arandomuser View Post
    wont play it if its weeby like league
    and by weeby if you look at leagues champion page you what i mean 80% of characters are some form of this

https://images.contentstack.io/v3/as...y=90&width=250

im sure it will sell well espec in asia but not for me and dont think it will be for western audience
    Janna is a pretty generic high elf design just with some wind magic thrown in, she also had a glow up which likely hasn’t been moved to lol as there visual updates tend to go slowly.

She’d have no problems with western audiences.