Page 17 of 28 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by silveth View Post
    It has been said for a long time. The democrats think republicans are evil, republicans think democrats are crazy and stupid. Most people knew enough to say both are wrong because they knew the truth is that there is evil and stupid on both sides. The problem now is that overall, that's the cream that seemed to have risen to the top. Yes, on both sides.
    Yes, republicans are evil, because they refuse to reprimand a representative that followed a Highschool shooting survivor, calling him a paid actor. Democrat are crazy, because they want healthcare for everyone. Strange...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

A reminder of what Freighter is actually about:
    Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    5 of each isn't enough to even begin to describe everything so I'm just gonna go with some random stuff out of everything.

Good
    Same or higher social status as me.
    Good looking.
    Enjoys traveling.
    Plays games.
    A good sense of humor.

Bad
    Being black.
    Being indian.
    Being muslim.
    Being poor.
    Being a cheapskate.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    A reminder of what Freighter is actually about:
    But it's not because he's racist! Oh no. It's just because he's better than they are so it would make him look bad:
    ...it's how it would reflect on me, what my friends or family would think of me if I did, my parents would likely protest loudly or even stop talking to me. They're not exactly high status.
    Last edited by DarkTZeratul; 2021-03-10 at 12:07 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    But it's not because he's racist! Oh no. It's just because he's better than they so it would make him look bad:
    You have to remember they are from Korea... it doesn’t excuse the behavior at all... but, technically, they are correct to fear a very negative reaction.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    But it's not because he's racist! Oh no. It's just because he's better than they are so it would make him look bad:
    Yes, I'm sure you would like finding yourself ostracized by your friends and family when you can find someone else which they won't have a problem with.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Yes, I'm sure you would like finding yourself ostracized by your friends and family when you can find someone else which they won't have a problem with.
    Having racist friends seems like a you problem.

"I'm not racist...I just choose to surround myself with racists"

10+ Year Old Account
    Same way someone who didn't want to risk offending their Nazi family and friends and put themselves at risk in Nazi Germany and went along with all the race laws put in place.

We have a word for people who did that kind of thing.

That word is "Nazi".

What you're describing is that you're racist, and here are your reasons for being racist. It isn't an argument that you aren't racist.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Same way someone who didn't want to risk offending their Nazi family and friends and put themselves at risk in Nazi Germany and went along with all the race laws put in place.

We have a word for people who did that kind of thing.

That word is "Nazi".

What you're describing is that you're racist, and here are your reasons for being racist. It isn't an argument that you aren't racist.
    Oh, yes. I'm sure you would just tell your friends and family to fuck right off. Then get thrown out of home by your family, no job and your family won't help you and your former friends aren't going to do anything to help you either. Good luck with that dream.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Oh, yes. I'm sure you would just tell your friends and family to fuck right off. Then get thrown out of home by your family, no job and your family won't help you and your former friends aren't going to do anything to help you either. Good luck with that dream.
    Can't choose your family, but you can choose your friends.
    So good luck on that.

I'm sure you would just tell your friends and family to fuck right off.
    I mean...believe it or not many of us actually have told former friends and family to fuck off if they're vile, racist bigots. I hardly ever see some of my extended family and that's very much by design, because they're largely bigoted as fuck idiots and I have no patience to be polite at a family gathering where folks are slingin some racist bullshit. They don't like me very much, but mostly because I call out their racist/sexist/etc. garbage.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't make friends with racists.

I have cut friends off when they pulled that kind of shit.

I haven't had to with my family, but if they had, I'd have figured it out. I wouldn't want to associate with them if they were racist like that. making my own way would be preferable to playing along and being racist just to "fit in".

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I mean...believe it or not many of us actually have told former friends and family to fuck off if they're vile, racist bigots. I hardly ever see some of my extended family and that's very much by design, because they're largely bigoted as fuck idiots and I have no patience to be polite at a family gathering where folks are slingin some racist bullshit. They don't like me very much, but mostly because I call out their racist/sexist/etc. garbage.
    In the US. Not South Korea.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't understand why you'd think geography makes your conduct more ethical or defensible.

I don't understand why you'd think geography makes your conduct more ethical or defensible.
    I have made no arguments relating to geography.

Ok, so is it more culturally "acceptable" to tolerate racists in South Korea or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Ok, so is it more culturally "acceptable" to tolerate racists in South Korea or something?
    A bar can tell a person You're not entering this bar because you're (insert whatever ethnicity/nationality they don't like). No legal repercussion, social repercussions will be pretty much non-existent, a few people making some small noise that will just be ignored, changing nothing.

People are denied to rent homes because of being the wrong ethnicity. It's legal, no social repercussions for it.

People are denied jobs because of being the wrong ethnicity. It's legal, no social repercussions for it.

You think your US approach will work here? I should take the consequences that comes with going against it when it will change exactly nothing in society and only make my life worse? I do not think so. It speaks of complete ignorance of the differences in the history, the legal frameworks and the culture between Korea and USA to think that what you do in the US can be applied here.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have made no arguments relating to geography.
    You literally pointed to your home country.

That's geography.

- - - Updated - - -

A bar can tell a person You're not entering this bar because you're (insert whatever ethnicity/nationality they don't like). No legal repercussion, social repercussions will be pretty much non-existent, a few people making some small noise that will just be ignored, changing nothing.

People are denied to rent homes because of being the wrong ethnicity. It's legal, no social repercussions for it.

People are denied jobs because of being the wrong ethnicity. It's legal, no social repercussions for it.

And you think your US approach will work here? I should take the consequences that comes with going against it when it will change exactly nothing in society and only make my life worse? I do not think so. It speaks of complete ignorance of the differences in the history, the legal frameworks and the culture between Korea and USA to think that what you do in the US can be applied here.
    All you're really doing here is pointing out that South Korean culture is significantly racist.

And? That isn't an excuse. Presuming it's even true. I'll freely admit I don't know and am operating off your own take here.

You literally pointed to your home country.

That's geography.
    So you're just gonna ignore the differences in the history, the legal frameworks and the culture? Cool.

10+ Year Old Account
    All you're really doing here is pointing out that South Korean culture is significantly racist.
    Yes, and they already said they are too weak to handle the criticism that comes from it... they are admitting their fault...