Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Reconciliation passes, bills in general still require 10 Republicans.
    No, bills in general too. Budgets are the separate matter if I recall, and that's what reconciliation seeks to get around with the bill based on my understanding. Most bills still require only a simple majority.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    I mean, in principle. But the filibuster makes it 60 votes.
    And, if I understand correctly, only 1 reconciliation bill per session. So next one is in 2022.

So basically republicans can block everything until after the next election.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Milchshake View Post
    The White House says President Biden will appoint someone to run implementation of the massive coronavirus relief bill, but no announcements on who specifically will do so yet.

Hmmm, whom will he appoint for this office of managing a budget.
    It could be Major or Champ!

Quote Originally Posted by Omega10 View Post
    And, if I understand correctly, only 1 reconciliation bill per session. So next one is in 2022.

So basically republicans can block everything until after the next election.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reconc...ates_Congress)

If Wikipedia is correct, there's a bit more leeway -

Reconciliation bills can be passed on spending, revenue, and the federal debt limit, and the Senate can pass one bill per year affecting each subject. Congress can thus pass a maximum of three reconciliation bills per year, though in practice it has often passed a single reconciliation bill affecting both spending and revenue.
    I assume this bill covers spending/revenue, so they can't use it again until 2022. I don't know where we're at the with the debt limit, but they'll get that through as well even if Republicans want to fight tooth and nail to let the country default on its loans while we're still trying to dig out of an economic crisis.

its once per fiscal year but the trump admin did not use their 2020 fiscal year reconcillation which is what the biden admin just used. So they have another one available for use this year for something else.

Quote Originally Posted by kaid View Post
    its once per fiscal year but the trump admin did not use their 2020 fiscal year reconcillation which is what the biden admin just used. So they have another one available for use this year for something else.
    That...doesn't sound right. Got sauce on that?

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/10/whit...s-program.html

REMEMBER THE CRISIS OF UNACCOMPANIED CHILDREN SHOWING UP AT THE BORDER?

President Joe Biden’s administration is reinstating an Obama-era program that would allow some Central American children to seek to legally enter the U.S. from their home countries, the State Department announced Wednesday.

The announcement comes as the Biden administration faces an influx of unaccompanied migrant children at the U.S.-Mexico border.

“Neither this announcement nor any of the other measures suggests that anyone, especially children and families with young children, should make the dangerous trip to try and enter the U.S. in an irregular fashion,” Roberta Jacobson, Biden’s coordinator for the southern border, said at a press briefing Wednesday.
    Restarting a program to legally allow some of these children to enter the US without needing to make the dangerous trip to the border. Hopefully this will have a positive impact on reducing the strain in processing these kids and the detention centers being used to temporarily house them and be shut down once more.

so the worst so far for Biden according to conservative news is....umm....he hasn't has a press conference yet....
    hahahahhah

functioning adult in the WH!!! Winning!

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/10/covi...-thursday.html

President Joe Biden said he will announce the “next phase” of the U.S. Covid-19 response during his primetime address to Americans on Thursday.
    “I’m going to launch the next phase of the Covid response and explain what we will do as a government and what we will ask of the American people,” he said Wednesday.
    The Biden administration has been working to ramp up the supply of Covid-19 vaccines and get the majority of Americans as quickly as possible.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Very very surprised by CNNs reporting on the Yemen issue.

JUST IN: The Dow soars to record high, marking its first-ever finish above 32,000 points.
    https://twitter.com/AnaCabrera/statu...917542405?s=19

What? No all caps tweet by President Biden bragging how he is the greatest.

Yeah, we all know the Dow shows no reflection on the economy.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    he hasn't has a press conference yet
    Again, it's always interesting to see the hypocrisy on display here, after four years of Trump. Well, three. Trump did hold a bunch in 2020 because (a) re-election and (b) there is no other reason. If you exclude those, in 2017/18/19 he had 1, 5, and 3 solo press conferences.

Obama held more than 5 every single year. Held 10+ (as in "double Trump's highest"( twice.

W held 3, or more, every single year. Held 10+ twice.

Clinton had 2 once and 3+ every remaining year. Held 10+ twice.

H.W. wouldn't stop holding them. His lowest was 12.

Reagan had...uh...Alzheimers. So...yeah. But you had to go all the way back to Reagan to find someone who held fewer than Trump, again excluding 2020. And even camera-shy Nixon had more, on average.

Plus the revolving door of liars Huckabee, Spicer and McEnemy....that actually sounds like the layout of a mall food court.

"But Breccia! Surely ruling out Trump sending videos from Twitter and calling that a solo press conference and not free advertising for re-election is disingenuous!"

First of all, no it's not.

Second of all, even if I throw in 2020...Trump's numbers aren't that great. At 1.83 total "press conference" (sarcasm) per month, he's still beaten by every President since Reagan except barely Obama (who incidentally, still wins in solo appearances). Using the average from 2017 to 2019 only, Trump is below Obama again.

This article from Feb 2020 says Trump hadn't held a press briefing in 300+ days. He was forced back into it because of the outbreak he helped cause, and then ignored.

Plus, of course, that staple I haven't used in a while -- "What He Meant Was".

And finally, it's small number statistics but still funny, if Biden follows throgh and holds a press conference, I'm he'll instantly pull ahead of every single year of Trump except 2020.

We all knew there would be hypocrisy on full display, and it's still our duty to point it out and shame it. When your only means of attacking Biden is to conveniently forget the last four years of defending actions that were worse, you deserve to have that shoved in your face.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    That...doesn't sound right. Got sauce on that?

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/10/whit...s-program.html

REMEMBER THE CRISIS OF UNACCOMPANIED CHILDREN SHOWING UP AT THE BORDER?

Restarting a program to legally allow some of these children to enter the US without needing to make the dangerous trip to the border. Hopefully this will have a positive impact on reducing the strain in processing these kids and the detention centers being used to temporarily house them and be shut down once more.
    This is what I read

How many reconciliation bills can Congress consider in calendar year 2021?

Basically, two. One for fiscal year 2021 (which ends September 30, 2021) and another for fiscal year 2022 (which ends September 30, 2022). Congress doesn’t pass a budget resolution every year, and it didn’t pass one for fiscal 2021 in the last Congress, largely because there was little chance that the Republican majority in the Senate could come to agreement with the Democratic majority in the House.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
    The stock market is an opinion graph about purchasing power of the future. This is a sign investors expect things to get better.

Related: the Philly Fed is predicting 3.2% GDP growth this quarter, and 4.5% this year. If this turns out to be true, first of all great news, second of all it means Biden will do in a sinel year what Trump promised but failed every single year.

"But Breccia! Biden can't really take credit for the recov--"

Well, first of all, based on his handling of COVID yes he probably could. Secondly, if Trump's rabid fanbase want to give Trump credit for"the numbers weren't real, now they were" drop from i42% unemployment the second he took over, they have to give Biden this one, too. Third of all, experts are predicting higher GDP growth because of the stimulus which Biden and the Democrats have been pushing through while Republicans fight it tooth and nail, so yes we can, fictional representation of opposing arguments and/or voice in my head because I'm sampling the Zombie Apocalypse hot sauce right out of the bottle.

Yes, we generally gave Obama credit for Trump's first year's economy. Of course, that was a standard year. These last 12 months have not been standard, have they? I think a fair way to look at it will have to wait, when we can look at the entire damage caused by Trump's lethal outbreak, which -- based on the numbers I've been citing -- would give Trump one year above 3% (2021) but at the cost of eating 2020's result, which seems to be about zero. Is it really 4% growth, if you sacrificed a full year at 0% to get it? Which Biden didn't because he wasn't in charge yet?

Finding proof that BIden is fixing Trump's mistakes, as well as Trump's intentional sabotage, isn't exactly hard. We saw more of it today and expect to hear more about it tomorrow.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jettisawn View Post
    Getting a hand cut off is subjectively better then cutting off an arm. Doesn't mean I'd vote for either one. Obama and his policies lead to Trump. The continuation will only lead to Trump again or worse. Don't blame me for their failures. Give me a reason to vote for you, and not a reason to vote against someone else.
    By that logic. Trump and his policies lead to Biden. Which means a second run of Trump would do what you are suggesting.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Independent restaurant operators have won $28.6 billion worth of targeted relief.

This funding will ensure small businesses can survive the pandemic by helping to adapt their operations and keep their employees on the payroll.

https://t.co/Ob4pRb9Xh4
    https://twitter.com/SenatorWicker/st...982915084?s=19

This is Senator Roger Wicker of Mississippi.

Oh he voted 'NO' on the bill.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
    https://twitter.com/AnaCabrera/statu...917542405?s=19

What? No all caps tweet by President Biden bragging how he is the greatest.

but did any Republicans, or Fox talking heads actually say that. Im waiting to see if there is a level of hypocrisy that will actually cause physical pain.
    "Law and Order", lots of places have had that, Russia, North Korea, Saddam's Iraq.
    Laws can be made to enforce order of cruelty and brutality.
    Equality and Justice, that is how you have peace and a society that benefits all.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I mean...pretty much everyone is saying just to give the new administration more time. They're facing a mountain of challenges and aren't even to the first 100 days yet, we're barely halfway done with that.

By the looks of things, it looks like they're making strides at improving the situation. It's not perfect, and they still need to use detention centers while processing this latest surge of unaccompanied minors, but we're already objectively seeing vast improvements compared to the past four years.

Nobody is defending the detention centers. We understand why they're being used, but I don't think you'll find anyone happy about it. Hopefully they can get the kids processed and moved in with family quickly and the US can work together with Central American countries to find a better way of handling the issue. That's not to say they shouldn't be allowed to come to the US, but if there was more process beyond, "Tons of kids just show up at border crossing" that would likely go a long way in eliminating the more objectionable parts of the process like the need to use temporary detention centers to house children.
    I can't even believe how much he's done and it's not even 100 days yet. Usually by now we're just getting into some of the middle tier cabinet and deputy cabinet confirmations.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    They are though.

The Dems want bipartisan government so bad, they keep thinking the Repubs will act in good faith and they never do anymore. They are trying to play for a tie, meanwhile the other side is cheating to win.
    The person I was responding to insists that Trumpism is a response to Democrats specifically, as if the progressive left would make Trumpism go away. The reality is that even if progressives were in power, Trumpism would exist, and likely in even stronger numbers. The thing is, Democrats COULD go against Republicans hardcore in everything and not try to work with them. That's apparently what progressives would do? But one thing I like to remind hardcore progressives, there's only so much you can do with just the white house. There's only so much you can do with a simple majority in the legislature (rather than a super majority). Progressives being in power wouldn't change jack shit because there's very little you can do without bipartisan agreement.

Short version is though, progressives love to blame Trumpism on Democrats. Reality is Trumpism is a response to the national and culture shifting to the left. The progressive left needs to stop making enemies out of Democrats. As @Felya pointed out, for some reason the progressive left just likes to pretend Republicans DON'T EXIST, when the reality is the biggest enemy against left policy IS the right. But for some reason progressives have made Democrats, the people closest to their political ideologies, their enemies. The left isn't going to find good bedfellows with the same people who yearn for 25 cents an hour pay, as much as they think they can.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu 2020 View Post
    The person I was responding to insists that Trumpism is a response to Democrats specifically, as if the progressive left would make Trumpism go away. The reality is that even if progressives were in power, Trumpism would exist, and likely in even stronger numbers. The thing is, Democrats COULD go against Republicans hardcore in everything and not try to work with them. That's apparently what progressives would do? But one thing I like to remind hardcore progressives, there's only so much you can do with just the white house. There's only so much you can do with a simple majority in the legislature (rather than a super majority). Progressives being in power wouldn't change jack shit because there's very little you can do without bipartisan agreement.

Short version is though, progressives love to blame Trumpism on Democrats. Reality is Trumpism is a response to the national and culture shifting to the left. The progressive left needs to stop making enemies out of Democrats. As @Felya pointed out, for some reason the progressive left just likes to pretend Republicans DON'T EXIST, when the reality is the biggest enemy against left policy IS the right. But for some reason progressives have made Democrats, the people closest to their political ideologies, their enemies. The left isn't going to find good bedfellows with the same people who yearn for 25 cents an hour pay, as much as they think they can.
    MAGA Right and MAGA Left have to construct imaginary version of Dems to argue with. The passage of ARPA blew a big hole in their weird fiction.

A quick recap:

It's so bad at the Intercept they back to doing fan fiction. Sparkly vampires but worse!

I wonder about people solely invested in "Dems bad", its not much of a strategy.

Alliance

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    I can't even believe how much he's done and it's not even 100 days yet. Usually by now we're just getting into some of the middle tier cabinet and deputy cabinet confirmations.
    37 executive orders in 50 days. He will need to pick up the pace if he wants to break Roosevelt's record.
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD

Quote Originally Posted by Milchshake View Post
    MAGA Right and MAGA Left have to construct imaginary version of Dems to argue with. The passage of ARPA blew a big hole in their weird fiction.

A quick recap:

It's so bad at the Intercept they back to doing fan fiction. Sparkly vampires but worse!

I wonder about people solely invested in "Dems bad", its not much of a strategy.
    That little snippet from the intercept isn't bogus since it is speaking about picks when they note "Biden's inner circle"

You also don't seem to have an issue with only "dem bad" you have an issue with "dem criticism" full stop.