Page 17 of 26 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    What is educational about religion that it should be taught in schools?
    Mythology, whether Egyptian, Mesopotamian, Hellenic, Germanic, Meso American, Semitic, CHRISTIAN, Hindu etc are all deeply relevant both in the context of historical, philosophical and sociological studies.

Religion is worth studying. But the same way you study philosophy, history or literature.

The problem with studying religion isn't inherently in the study of religion itself, but rather when 1 religious system or school of thought is presented as "the right one" and is studied outside the greater historical and social context within which it exists or emerged from.

Like, how many Christians do you think are aware that much of their cherished Old Testament is just stuff ripped off from religions predating Abrahamic religions by literally thousands of years? Or how much of the Christian tradition is really just reframed Hellenic, Roman, Etruscan, Germanic, Celtic mythology?

Quote Originally Posted by Yas-Queen Rochana View Post
    I don't wish to go down this route of bickering over sources, and I've seen people getting infracted for linking articles like these many times on this subforum in the past.

Being boring isn't against the forum rules, forbidden topics are.

Either way, let's agree that it's an idiotic idea to push and that we're both equally opposed to the notion that maths or science might be inherently racist, and leave it at that.
    As was pointed out, you can message people directly.

Since you have failed to do so, we can only assume you were lying the entire time.

Now, if you want to message me the evidence of them teaching it to you guys in Florida, I'd love to see it.

Are you going to agree that you were pushing baseless nonsense?

I don't wish to go down this route of bickering over sources
    That's a lot of words to say, "I made some shit up."

we're both equally opposed to the notion that maths or science might be inherently racist
    Inherently? No, and I don't think anyone that seriously takes that position. At least nobody remotely worth taking seriously, themselves.

But is much of the field of math and science rooted in a helluva lot of racism that remains present within those fields, both in regards to the individuals and some of the systems of power over the decades? Yas queen, it is.

7+ Year Old Account
    It's not just individuals anymore when there are school books in US elementary schools out there which are claiming that shamanism might be a valid alternative to "white maths & science".
    Give examples, then. I'm willing to look at these sorts of claims, though I'm sure my statement will hold true, but I need something more substantial to work with than a restatement of the idea without a source.
    Sylvanas didn't even win the popular vote, she was elected by an indirect election of representatives. #NotMyWarchief

10+ Year Old Account
    Glad we agree then.
    This particular line of discussion can be closed here.
    Teaching or spreading misinformation, is very much on topic of flirting with the extreme right.

Here is where Tim Pool got the joke, you took seriously:
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Glad we agree then.
    If you're not gonna back up your allegations, sure. I guess there's nothing left to discuss on that topic, but damn was I curious as to where these elementary school textbooks are.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Magical Mudcrab View Post
    Give examples, then. I'm willing to look at these sorts of claims, though I'm sure my statement will hold true, but I need something more substantial to work with than a restatement of the idea without a source.
    It’s trying to be the victim, by making it a both sides argument. It’s a joke meant to exemplify how extreme the right is about muslims, but it seems like Tim Pool tried to rework the joke to be this nonsense... with a parrot, repeating it... which just goes to once again prove... right wing comedy, is never funny...

Edit: Muslims invented math, so the joke doesn’t actually work with Shaman and makes the joke just dumb.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

I don't wish to go down this route of bickering over sources, and I've seen people getting infracted for linking articles like these many times on this subforum in the past.
    Liar.

That's what you're doing. You're lying.

You made up some outrageous bullshit, now you're trying to weasel yourself out of backing it up.

We're aren't leaving at that.

Back up your previous statement or admit you made it up? Which is it going to be?

Did you make it up? You made it up, didn't you. Common, we all know you made it up. Just admit it. Common!

10+ Year Old Account
    The "I totally have a citation, she just goes to school in Canada" defense, huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    That's what you're doing. You're lying.
    I think this is also on topic of extremes gaining more exposure... What’s wrong with lying? With every single conspiracy theory or bullshit that gets exposed... What keeps these people going? What keeps them buying into bullshit, that gets exposed as lies on such a frequent basis? I think the issue is not knowing what is wrong with lying...

There is the basic... where the lie simply exists, to push what ever the author is trying to convey. Then there is the less obvious part, of the liar thinking that ya’ll are stupid enough to believe it. Conspiracy theorist and extremists, seem to have the ability to make someone respond with... ‘please tell me more’... where the reply should have been... ‘how stupid do you think I am?’...

You can support or ignore a lie all you like... but, just remember... an ideology predicated on a lie, makes followers morons... even if they are in on the lie. Because regardless if you are part of the scheme, you are still hinging your ideology on something you know is a lie... yet, you still hold ideological believes the lie is meant to protect.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    The "I totally have a citation, she just goes to school in Canada" defense, huh?
    Here is a random curriculum for K-6:

http://www.oradellschool.org/osnj/OU...%20Curriculum/

I didn’t look, because it’s an idiotic thing to even bother checking... but, feel free to point to the Shaman... lightning bolt!!!

Glad we agree then.
    This is you running away from your bullshit claims.

This isn't a matter of agreement, this is you being caught.

- - - Updated - - -

Source:
    https://equitablemath.org/wp-content.../1_STRIDE1.pdf

Comments by PhD. in Mathematics Sergiu Klainerman : "There is no such thing as white math."
    https://bariweiss.substack.com/p/the...-as-white-math

Time to get infracted for posted uncomfortable truths, I suppose.
    See you guys in a few weeks.
    How does that back up your claim about shamanism?

This is you deflecting to cover for your lies.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    If you're not gonna back up your allegations, sure. I guess there's nothing left to discuss on that topic, but damn was I curious as to where these elementary school textbooks are.
    The thing is, there is something to discuss.

Namely that he just fucking dropped the statement that "Shamanism is being taught in school as an alternative to white science and maths".

There are layers of implicit racism, race baiting, conspiracy bullshit and more condensed into that statement.

The statement is still out there, with all the bullshit and built in racism.

And it's just a matter of time before someone else is just going to repeat that somewhere.

This whole "let's agree to disagree" trick he is trying to pull here allows him to imply that his "alternative fact" has any validity.

It doesn't.

He either repeated a lie or made one up on the spot.

(I actually know the root of his bullshit spin, but it has nothing to do with any school curriculum. It's rooted in some dumb college kids in South Africa going way overboard with the whole "de-colonize the curriculum", someone filmed it and put on YouTube.

Literally just dumb college kids saying dumb shit in an echo chamber.

That video then got blown the way the fuck out of proportion and has been floating around in right wing and "Intellectual Dark Web" circles for years, snowballing into mythic proportions.

And he is clearly aware of all that, just doesn't want his own bullshit rubbed in his face.)
    Last edited by Mihalik; 2021-03-16 at 07:01 PM.

That's not a schoolbook, first off. That's not being taught to children.

Secondly, "Ctrl-F: Shaman" - 0 results. I'm not gonna read all 82 pages to look for what you claim is in there.

Comments by PhD. in Mathematics Sergiu Klainerman : "There is no such thing as white math."
    I don't think you'll find anyone arguing that there aren't some nutters, but this isn't remotely what you claimed still.

Time to get infracted for posting uncomfortable truths, I suppose.
    Really, playing the victim constantly isn't a good look.

Yummy.

Have you even read what you linked?

There's no shamanism there. Nor is there a single suggestion that "math is racist" or that its "white".

It just talks about how the techniques used to teach math can be racist as the techniques make base assumptions about access to preexisting knowledge base, language skills (vocabulary that's relatable for the student) and that educators can jump to the wrong conclusions on why their students are failing to connect with the curriculum, and it provides advice on techniques like localizing vocabulary, color coding and using deductive reasoning with students (also known as eliciting for people who ever taught a class of anything).

And that Klainermen guy has either not fucking read the text or seems not to understand English.

That entire thing is just a tool to help educators teach maths in a way that would make more sense for kids with different ethnic backgrounds.

Also, mathematics are in a fact a human construct. It's a language we use to express things about the nature of the universe.

It's a language that you need to learn to use, you are not born into it nor does it exist "out in the wild" where you can just randomly acquire it.

What that text talks about is that people learn things differently because of their different cultural backgrounds, and the reason why they sometimes struggle to learn something is because the instructor comes from a different cultural background and fails at communicating because the instructor himself has been taught there is only one path to the same objective. The one that he took.

Nobody says that 2+2=/=4.

What they are saying that...

Two plus two equals four.

But also...

Dos más dos son iguales a cuatro.

Or

Zwei plus Zwei ist gleich vier.

Just not in a language sense, but in a cultural sense, and that you as a teacher should frame your classes in a way that makes sense for your students.
    Last edited by Mihalik; 2021-03-16 at 07:29 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Here's where a trained educator is gonna school ya.

That's a book about math instruction techniques, not about mathematics theory itself.

Instruction techniques often rely on cultural touchstones and such, and that can make them biased in their application. That's the point being made, there.

But then, it's clear you never even bothered trying to read the document you linked.

That's a pretty whopping biased article, and posted on Bari fucking Weiss' blog of all places. Hardly a bastion of good journalism or ethical reporting.

Here's what he gets wrong; he sees STEM fields in general, and mathematics in particular, as separate from culture and bias. And that's just wrong. He's internalized his own biases as they line up with the biases of those fields, and thus thinks of those biases as "normal" and "objectively true", but that's just an expression of his own personal bias.

Mathematics, like many other systems, are tools invented and propagated by cultural groups. Even mathematicians, if pressed, will admit to as much, though they might not like noting the cultural basis. Take the base-10 system. That's what we teach as a standard practice, numerically, yes? It's what became standard in European mathematics systems centuries ago, and what's continued to be pushed as the default standard, to the point it's largely universal now. But the choice of Base-10 is not an objective one; it's entirely subjective and irrational. Base 12 is arguably "better" in many respects. Computers operate off either binary or hexadecimal; if base-10 were superior objectively, that wouldn't be the case, surely? And so forth.

Here's another example; can you tell me what this is, mathematically?

Or is there a cultural barrier to understanding? Because that's straight, simple, modern mathematics.

The assumption that everyone is using the same exact symbols and syntax and formation is cultural hegemony and is exactly the kind of bias being pointed out. It's a demand that everyone in mathematics practice in European stylings and language. That's white supremacy, friendo.

7+ Year Old Account
    OK, so this is exactly what I said it was. This isn't saying that math is racist, it's a guide on how best to be inclusive of non-white students, which includes acknowledging mathematicians of color to try and address the perceived whiteness of mathematics by students. There are some questionable examples from the organization, such as wanting to deemphasize correct answers, though this is because they are suggesting educators emphasize student's line of reasoning for arriving at conclusions rather than simply following preset steps to find an answer (i.e.: consider some word problem where visual learners may diagram the scenario and infer a method of solving it from the diagram, even if this answer is wrong it is helpful for instructors to be able to look at the line of thinking and address solution's in ways that the student can better understand/learn from). This isn't bad, it's just marketed badly.

I hate to pull this card, but this is 100% the appeal to authority fallacy. Klainerman may be a PhD in mathematics, and his stance is reasonable from his perspective, but he is not a sociologist and his stance shows he did not consider the issues presented. No one has said that math, as in 1+1=2, is racist even though that is the stance he is broadly arguing against.

Time to get infracted for posting uncomfortable truths, I suppose.
    These aren't uncomfortable truths, these are instances of you not fully comprehending what you're citing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Here's another example; can you tell me what this is, mathematically?

Or is there a cultural barrier to understanding? Because that's straight, simple, modern mathematics.

The assumption that everyone is using the same exact symbols and syntax and formation is cultural hegemony and is exactly the kind of bias being pointed out. It's a demand that everyone in mathematics practice in European stylings and language. That's white supremacy, friendo.
    Looks like a piecewise function but I have to say that it being written right-to-left is throwing me off even though I can understand what it means, but that's sort of the point.
    Sylvanas didn't even win the popular vote, she was elected by an indirect election of representatives. #NotMyWarchief

Yeah, I didn't read the whole thing but it appears to deal with how mathematics is taught, identifying and addressing biases that may exist.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

10+ Year Old Account
    These aren't uncomfortable truths, these are instances of you not fully comprehending what you're citing.
    I'm seeing a pattern here, tbh.
    Populists (and "national socialists") look at the supposedly secret deals that run the world "behind the scenes". Child's play. Except that childishness is sinister in adults.
    - Christopher Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    Yeah, I didn't read the whole thing but it appears to deal with how mathematics is taught, identifying and addressing biases that may exist.
    What amuses me endlessly in this case is that this entire "controversy" is just basically an example of "right wingers failing at 12th grade reading comprehension".

10+ Year Old Account
    Looks like a piecewise function but I have to say that it being written right-to-left is throwing me off even though I can understand what it means, but that's sort of the point.
    Like, I'm not trying to be snide about anything there. It's pretty standard calculus from what I can see, but the entire point of linking it is that there's a linguistic barrier and cultural assumptions in play that make it more difficult for someone used to European notation systems to work out. It doesn't mean you CAN'T work it out, but it takes more effort than it would if it had been done in standard English.

That "more work" applies the same way around for a mathematician for whom this styling would be "normal", and who has to work around that to work in standard European notation because Europeans insist upon it as if it were the standard because they (apparently) are the only ones who get a say. That's the entire issue, really. One one particular little sub-factor, at least.