Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    Contrary to what other people think I don't mind the 200$ gift card at all. Especially considering the other stuff they get. It's sort of like "you get some future games for free as well". People seem to forget people who work in gaming are often gamers themselves.
    Yeah but the might not want to tough any Blizzard product in the future because of being fired. It all depends on the style of how they got informed about all this.

I mean practically everyone could see that the Overwatch league was going nowhere with the way the monetization was supposed to work. That is a general complaint in all of Blizzard's esport attempts and isn't fixed by trying to sell the broadcasting/franchise rights for millions/billions.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sorry to the people that lost jobs.

But, on the flip, its just E-Sports. Nobody really gives a shit about E-Sports

So what mental gymnastics will be use to excuse blizzard and blame activision as they've been doing for a decade now this time?

While it's sad to see people get laid off, it doesn't surprise me, at least on the Blizzard side this whole E-sport thing has become one massive meme and hopefully those people had the foresight to scout the horizon for other jobs.

I'm not blaming Activision or Blizzard outside of their irrational need to push into E-Sports, jobs must justify their existence and Blizzards E-sport section has been so artifically created that it cannot work.
    It's something that needs to grow from the bottom and not just inject a lot of money from the top.
    The interest must be there and not bruteforced by management with embedded streams to boost numbers in order to appease some metrics.

Those people were thrust into a battle they couldn't win, those layoffs are sadly the logical consequence of out touch decisions from the top.

That gift-card to the Battle.net shop is both hilarity and sadness in equal measure.

Quote Originally Posted by Argorwal View Post
    Inb4 people talk about WoW with the layoffs despite them being for call of duty and overwatch.
    Didn't you hear?

Anything that happens at Blizzard is about WoW, even when it's expressedly not, cuz random nobodies on MMO-C know how to dEcIpHer CoRpOrAtE sPeAk!

10+ Year Old Account
    Why even report when they lay people off? Can't speak for everybody but I'm here for news about their games not the company.. I don't give a shit when McDonalds lays people off either.

10+ Year Old Account
    Good, can't have these scum pleb employees stand in a way of our giga corporate profits during global pandemic. Throw them out on the streets!

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Good, can't have these scum pleb employees stand in a way of our giga corporate profits during global pandemic. Throw them out on the streets!
    they are a company not a charity lmfao no reason to keep people you dont need employed. and they are giving a very generous severance with additional healthcare added pn

Sucks for the people. but not that surprising...
    Basically hasn't been any "E-sport" for over a year, and might not return to normal for one more...

this makes sense, alot of traditional sports are laying people off due to covid, if anything esports is less effected.. just a side effect of the virus, sure they COULD keep employees they dont need, but what ceo would do something that dumb?

That $200 gift card is just pissing on them... what the actual crap!?

There should be financial and/or legal repercussions for companies that downsize despite showing record profits.

10+ Year Old Account
    > and a $200 gift card for Blizzard's Battle.net Shop

I'm piss drunk and me and my friends are cackling like hyenas in Discord at this

Quote Originally Posted by jellmoo View Post
    There should be financial and/or legal repercussions for companies that downsize despite showing record profits.
    What? Why? You're acting like they should be forced to keep people they no longer need.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jellmoo View Post
    Why? So they are forced to keep people on teams that have no real reason to exist anymore? As someone else said, it is a company, not a charity.

Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    What? Why? You're acting like they should be forced to keep people they no longer need.
    Because the onus should be on them to repurpose people within their company, using temporary work assignments if need be. The default to this situation shouldn't be to immediately reduce cost when you are hitting record profits.

AND a $200 gift card?

Spoil them, why don't you?!

Quote Originally Posted by Redroniksre View Post
    Why? So they are forced to keep people on teams that have no real reason to exist anymore? As someone else said, it is a company, not a charity.
    Having a responsibility for the people that have helped you build your business is not charity. Record profits allows them the flexibility to find new roles for people and to take on new initiatives.