Page 19 of 26 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Yas-Queen Rochana View Post
    I form my opinion over a long period of time, but I don't keep links and sources for everything I ever absorb.

Also even ethnomathematics is nonsense, because US engineers already need to take an extra year of courses compared to european ones because their minds are afflicted by the imperial system. Good luck trying to have a different system for every 'ethnicity' and trying to progress science in that manner. The idea behind maths and exact sciences is that they are already a universal language - so protests demanding that shamanism should be respected on the same level or that we need to apply new ethno-systems in a language that is already universal is pretty absurd.

Wokeism just goes a few steps too far in the USA and nobody dares to tell these few crazies to shut up. They only dare to that to people for whom they don't lose clout.
    Most of the "controversy" is because rather than memorizing rote formulas that most of us end up forgetting, a lot of the ethnomath focus is on critical thinking and practical applications. Like, great if you can remember PEMDAS and whatnot, and I'm sure it'll be useful from time to time as an adult but considering we all have literal calculators in our pockets all the time it's not really the most important thing to learn anymore.

Math may be universal, but the way we teach it and the way people learn it isn't.

Your posts are still nigh indistinguishable from a Fox News op-ed, and just as poorly sourced given that all the "evidence" you've used to back up your claims so far hasn't actually done that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    Jimmy Dore is relevant in US political circles. He's an idiot, but unfortunately relevant enough that his stupid shit can affect stuff that's ongoing in Congress.

You might have not heard of him, but people who engage in US politics have.
    "Relevant" is doing alot of lifting here. To be honest I'm shocked he's still on TyT

I form my opinion over a long period of time, but I don't keep links and sources for everything I ever absorb.

Also even ethnomathematics is nonsense, because US engineers already need to take an extra year of courses compared to european ones because their minds are afflicted by the imperial system. Good luck trying to have a different system for every 'ethnicity' and trying to progress science in that manner. The idea behind maths and exact sciences is that they are already a universal language - so protests demanding that shamanism should be respected on the same level or that we need to apply new ethno-systems in a language that is already universal is pretty absurd.

Wokeism just goes a few steps too far in the USA and nobody dares to tell these few crazies to shut up. They only dare to that to people for whom they don't lose clout.
    Ethnomatics is about as nonsense as the study of Russian is. Or German. Or Dutch. Or Chinese. It studies things that exist. Why is the European annotation system the correct one? Why not the Indian one (which by the way is massively better at the expressing large values than the European one)? The answer is, neither is correct, both are correct, we just use whichever has more economic gravity (there's also the element of the legacy of colonialism, because had the Indians colonized Europe, we'd all be counting in lakhs and crores). They all have the same mathematical "correctness" in every system 1+1 is 2.

Extra year of courses for studying Imperial? What? Huh? Where's that idiocy coming from?

Maths is not a universal language. That's a pop culture stupid saying thing, that I don't even know where it comes from but it's wrong at worst, massively misunderstood at best.

But going back to your shamanism bullshit. Where's my fucking shamanism. Nothing you linked has any shamanism in it. Give me some goddamn shamanism. After wasting so much of my time, give me some shamanism.

You still haven't provided a single quotation that would even remotely suggest anything along the lines you claim these things allegedly say. Like not even in the same ballpark.

Nobody is fucking forcing anyone do math in a septenary central African counting system or whatnot. But, if you want to go and teach someone from that central African tribe that uses that counting system, it would be very helpful for you to understand their system, be able to do conversions to be able to teach them the international decimal system.

Also, mathematicians don't actually always use a decimal system. Sometimes hexadecimals are used, especially when you do really hard stuff with large rational and irrational numbers because hexadecimal works better for visual representation it's also helpful for cross checking calculations you've done in decimals (the Chinese have been using hexadecimals for thousands of years).

Again, you don't actually understand what you are talking about and ending up jumping to absolutely insane conclusions to give some sort of justification for your built in biases.

You keep talking about mathematics, but you don't even seem to understand what mathematics are.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Glorious Leader View Post
    "Relevant" is doing alot of lifting here. To be honest I'm shocked he's still on TyT
    He's not./10char
    Last edited by Mihalik; 2021-03-16 at 09:28 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    We can’t tell them to shut up... we have to keep beating around the bush, to avoid infractions...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

7+ Year Old Account
    US engineers already need to take an extra year of courses compared to european ones because their minds are afflicted by the imperial system.
    No we don't you clown, stop talking about things you clearly haven't the foggiest clue about.

10+ Year Old Account
    The idea behind maths and exact sciences is that they are already a universal language - so protests demanding that shamanism should be respected on the same level or that we need to apply new ethno-systems in a language that is already universal is pretty absurd.
    This is bullshit, you are literally just making up...

- - - Updated - - -

Also even ethnomathematics is nonsense, because US engineers already need to take an extra year of courses compared to european ones because their minds are afflicted by the imperial system.
    Stop watching Tim Pool... I went to school in 3 different countries... this is nonsense...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Stop watching Tim Pool... I went to school in 3 different countries... this is nonsense...
    For real.

My second grader is learning the metric system. LOL

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

More proof you don't live in the US. We are taught the metric system. We just don't use it completely in every day life.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bladeXcrasher View Post
    For real.

I graduated in 2001. We were taught the metric system then too.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    I graduated in 2001. We were taught the metric system then too.
    Same here, and I graduated last century. It's not like SI units are even remotely difficult, the implication that they would require a full 2 semesters of class to learn them in the first place...how stupid does one need to be to type that across the screen with a straight face.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bladeXcrasher View Post
    For real.

Wait until he finds out shoe sizes are different... it will be another year before Americans can wear shoes in Europe...

Considering I did engineering studies and it being one of the things the teachers claimed about US engineering students, you can add this to the list of things I consider having some first-hand knowledge about and won't change my mind over because some comments on an already contrarian forum claimed differently.
    Once again, I'm going to want to see some evidence of this. Aren't you in the US? You'd think you'd know it personally, considering you claimed to live here.

Alas, I actually did study in American schools, and we worked on the metric system since grade school.

You literally don't have firsthand knowledge, so your entire argument is based on willful ignorance. American engineering students and American students would have firsthand knowledge... You are neither.
    Last edited by Machismo; 2021-03-17 at 02:32 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Considering I did engineering studies and it being one of the things the teachers claimed about US engineering students, you can add this to the list of things I consider having some first-hand knowledge about and won't change my mind over because some comments on an already contrarian forum claimed differently. I assume the 'entire year of courses' bit was exaggerated, but some extra courses were at least required.
    So, you don't have a source beyond a story about a supposed professor's offhand comment one time, and therefore you feel you don't need to look into whether that professor was actually right and will ignore any evidence that does not support your predetermined conclusion.

And you'll come right out and admit that, like you did right here.

And not see how thoroughly willfully ignorant that makes you.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Once again, I'm going to want to see some evidence of this. Aren't you in the US? You'd think you'd know it personally, considering you claimed to live here.

Alas, I actually did study in American schools, and we worked on the metric system since grade school.

You literally don't have firsthand knowledge, so your entire argument is based on willful ignorance.
    I'm in Canada. We grow up with the metric system.

Americans don't take a year of remedial math when attending Canadian schools.

Canadians studying overseas don't have to take any remedial math to "catch up" either, so it's not a North American thing.

It's just complete horseshit from the ground up. It honestly seems like an obvious offhand joke that Rochana was completely incapable of recognizing as a joke.

7+ Year Old Account
    Considering I did engineering studies and it being one of the things the teachers claimed about US engineering students, you can add this to the list of things I consider having some first-hand knowledge about and won't change my mind over because some comments on an already contrarian forum claimed differently. I assume the 'entire year of courses' bit was exaggerated, but some extra courses were at least required.
    No you didn't and no such professor said any such thing. We learned SI units way back 20+ years ago when I was in school, my second grader learns SI units in school, and no such STEM classes exist to teach SI units in college.

Why you want to double down on such an absurd claim is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarcube View Post
    really? then why do so many americans ask for cm to be converted to ft/in?
    30.48 cm/ft

2.54cm/in

I learned that a very long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    So, you don't have a source beyond a story about a supposed professor's offhand comment one time, and therefore you feel you don't need to look into whether that professor was actually right and will ignore any evidence that does not support your predetermined conclusion.

And you'll come right out and admit that, like you did right here.

And not see how thoroughly willfully ignorant that makes you.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm in Canada. We grow up with the metric system.

Americans don't take a year of remedial math when attending Canadian schools.

Canadians studying overseas don't have to take any remedial math to "catch up" either, so it's not a North American thing.

It's just complete horseshit from the ground up. It honestly seems like an obvious offhand joke that Rochana was completely incapable of recognizing as a joke.
    It's rather pathetic how people need to resort to pushing such obvious falsehoods.

- - - Updated - - -

In the meantime I've had conversations with several people who did higher studies in the USA who confirmed to me that US engineering students did indeed need to take or attended extra general classes or lectures regarding the metric system.

So the only valid conclussion I can come to is that this forum often enjoys being collectively wrong and is a great source of misinformation. Just like it is with social justice issues.
    Bullshit.

You keep pushing this lie, and have nothing to back it up.

I have a degree in chemical engineering, and I can say without question, that you are fucking lying.

7+ Year Old Account
    In the meantime I've had conversations with several people who did higher studies in the USA who confirmed to me that US engineering students did indeed need to take or attended extra general classes or lectures regarding the metric system.

So the only valid conclussion I can come to is that this forum often enjoys being collectively wrong and is a great source of misinformation. Just like it is with social justice issues.
    Again, with the BS stories. We don't take extra classes to learn SI units. We learn them from grade school on. SI units are a global standard. Any engineering major deals with them in their standard dat to day work.

Well, maybe it's only for some students or something they only enforce in some universities? I don't know, but it seems entirely plausible to me that extra time might be needed to refresh the knowledge considering how often engineering studies deal with converting mass to volume and how that might only get more confusing with different imperial units for each. I'm not willing to change my mind on the subject though especially not after I had a conversation only a few moments ago with someone who confirmed to me he had to take extra classes and exercises on the metric system in his US studies.
    Great, what universities? Show us, or admit you are full of shit.

Or, you could stop pushing this nonsense.

This is the literal definition of willful ignorance.
    Last edited by Machismo; 2021-03-17 at 02:54 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, maybe it's only for some students or something they only enforce in some universities?
    Nope, you are just extremely persistent with your ignorance...

7+ Year Old Account
    Well, maybe it's only for some students or something they only enforce in some universities? I don't know, but it seems entirely plausible to me that extra time might be needed to refresh the knowledge considering how often engineering studies deal with converting mass to volume and how that might only get more confusing with different imperial units for each. I'm not willing to change my mind on the subject though especially not after I had a conversation only a few moments ago with someone who confirmed to me he had to take extra classes and exercises on the metric system in his US studies.
    The System of International Units are the standard units in ALL STEM fields since their inception in 1960. So no, you are lying again. Why you are lying to a chemical engineer and ECE grad about this is beyond me.

I'm sure other STEM grads will chime in too.

10+ Year Old Account
    I could not possibly give less of a shit about what you claim to half-ass remember about what some possibly-entirely-fictional rando told you was their probably misbegotten impression of US post-secondary education.

If you're right, then you can point to admissions policies and requirements at EU universities that specify this.

If you can't, then you're wrong and have no clue what you're talking about.

And until you do, I have absolutely no reason to give your position any credence whatsoever.

Just as a for-instance, this pamphlet for Oxford makes no such mention; https://www.ox.ac.uk/sites/files/oxf...aflet_2016.pdf

It's more that people on this forum have no reason to believe horseshit you make up and cannot provide any sourcing for.

Why should we believe you? Where's the indication that you didn't just pull all this right out of your butt? If you are right, it should be trivial to back up your claims with a link to literally any EU institution which details the extra coursework requirement for US students.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not willing to change my mind on the subject though especially not after I had a conversation only a few moments ago with someone who confirmed to me he had to take extra classes and exercises on the metric system in his US studies.
    The silliest goddamned part of this is that the metric system can be explained to a grade 4 student in a single 20-minute lesson.

The idea that it would take a post-secondary STEM student full courses to grasp the concepts is so fantastically ridiculous that it's really hard to believe that you take that idea seriously.