Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    4700 blizzard employees. 200 million dollar bonus. If split evenly amongst their employees that's about 42.5k for each and every one of them. Literally a brand new car worth of cash for each employee.

10+ Year Old Account
    Let's just hope that some of the people that criticize this aren't the same that go "It's my money" whenever they're flamed for perpetuating a system that encourages this.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksej89 View Post
    Blizzard is already ruined.
    Abandoned starcraft 2, ruined warcraft 3 refunded, abandoned diablo 3 years ago, heavily reduced support for heroes of the storm etc.
    Ton of gambling mechanics and every other pathetic form of cheap shallow game monetization possible.

They are making billions on the corpse of the old famous and beloved blizzard.
    Their product quality is trash compared to 10 years ago.
    The Blizzard today is nothing but a result of how Blizzard was ran back in the day. Underpaying staff to the point of them having to skip meals only goes 1 way, Morhaime saw it as nothing more then a cash cow from day 1 i dont like how it is now but i wont pretend it was something special.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackmist View Post
    Activision-Blizzard took in $8 BILLION last year.

Kotick may be reviled on here (including by me), but it's not his job to be liked. It's his job to take things that make money and squeeze them to make more. And once money stops coming out he throws them away and squeezes something else.

If anything, it's our fault he's getting a $200 million bonus... We're the ones buying his crap.
    Yeah bro, it's totally our fault that practice exists.

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    I can't help but laugh at the irony of his bonus being 200M and the gift card also being 200. It's a kind of hate-sad-laugh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Minikin View Post
    "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never....BURN IT"
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    You are kinda joe Roganing this topic. Hardly have any actual knowledge other than what people have told you, and jumping into a discussion with people who have direct experience with it. Don't be Joe Rogan.

Quote Originally Posted by AcidicSyn View Post
    I can't help but laugh at the irony of his bonus being 200M and the gift card also being 200. It's a kind of hate-sad-laugh.
    I heard that get mugs and facemasks too. For free. Amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by ONCHEhap View Post
    "to best serve the Bobby, his wallet, his yacht collection and personal mansion"
    Wow,I wonder why I'm never wrong about these.

It's almost as if it kept happening for decades all over the industry

Quote Originally Posted by Alatie View Post
    The Blizzard today is nothing but a result of how Blizzard was ran back in the day. Underpaying staff to the point of them having to skip meals only goes 1 way, Morhaime saw it as nothing more then a cash cow from day 1 i dont like how it is now but i wont pretend it was something special.
    i dont know the details of their business practices but blizzard games in year 2000 and even year 2010 were miles better quality/polish/design than the ones in 2020.

Wow, hurry up and let vicarious visions release Diablo II so I can move on.

Some companies stayed incredibly good after a ton of years in gaming. Some didn't. Sad, really. It just proves success doesn't have to lead to terrible output, but it very frequently does.

The least he could do is to send the whole department to a 1 week vacation, some sort of resort or whatever, on his wallet .
    Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenfoldor View Post
    Wow, hurry up and let vicarious visions release Diablo II so I can move on.

Some companies stayed incredibly good after a ton of years in gaming. Some didn't. Sad, really. It just proves success doesn't have to lead to terrible output, but it very frequently does.
    Going public is one of the big killers,as it means you now are legally obligated to generate profits for investors and shareholders. And shareholders are never satisfied with the amount of money they get

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Martymark View Post
    Why is it every time he announces he's giving himself an obscene bonus, it's the same week they announce huge mass layoffs?
    50 people from a stagnant industry isn't a massive layoff

Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    The only truly sobering fact is that he will be dead some day just like all the execs that in no way deserve obscene amounts of money like that. No it is not envy or anger, just disgust as it seems like almost no one who attains that kind of wealth truly does anything for humanity in the present.
    so...you realize when he dies the money doesn't just vanish....like he likely has enough money that his family will basically also be stupid rich for generations to come and will continue to get stupid amounts of money just for having stupid amounts of money. Unless something happens that all forms of money just become worthless which will never happen in our lifetimes.

Activision, isnt that why the original wow OG's left as they didnt have as much control over wow anymore?
    Do you hear the voices too?

Going public is one of the big killers,as it means you now are legally obligated to generate profits for investors and shareholders. And shareholders are never satisfied with the amount of money they get
    You are right, but I just want to add that sometimes what is good for shareholders in the short-run is bad for a company's reputation(and thus shareholders) in the longrun. Balancing next quarter's profits with long term company health is vital for a lasting company. It seems to me that lately, short term profit is much more valuable in the eyes of impatient shareholders and thus CEOs alike.

15+ Year Old Account
    The entirety of Blizzard Entertainment has been as part of a publicly traded company. Going public isn't a killer. People romanticizing developers and using silly scapegoat is the issue. Chaos Studios, Inc. renamed to Blizzard Entertainment around the same time Davidson and Associates acquired the studio in 1994. Since then Blizzard has been part of a publicly traded company in Davidson, Vivendi, and then Activision Blizzard.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe an unpopular opinion, but CEO salary with bonus shouldn't be higher than 50 times that of their lowest-paid employee. If you pay the lowest paid employee 10 dollars an hour the max a ceo should make in a year is 1,152,000. This should be a law imo. Bonuses are okay, but every employee at the company needs to also get a bonus at least 1000 times less than that. Which would still be 200k for every employee. This shows you have ridiculous a 200m bonus is. A 2m dollar bonus would also give every company employee 2k dollars. That's pretty fair for such a profitable company.

Actiblizz has 10k employees. Ceo gets 2m dollar bonus. Every employee gets 2k dollar bonus. Thats only 20m dollars to give a bonus to every employee. Definitely doable.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by willtron View Post
    irony of posting that on a WoW fan forum lmao
    Last time I checked posting here didn't put any money in Acti/Blizz pockets.
    Last edited by Makabreska; 2021-03-17 at 09:24 PM.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

Quote Originally Posted by msdos View Post
    Yeah bro, it's totally our fault that practice exists.
    Technically it is. If people stopped paying for products the second they realize they're bullshit, maybe quality would be the go to method to make more money instead of "oh we lost some subs this quarter? throw a mount on the shop" . But as long as people are happy to throw cash to complain on the forums and then throw some more cash at store mounts and at pre-orders 1 year ahead of time that end up disappointing, why try to enforce quality when people give you money anyway? May as well just squeeze some more.

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterymask View Post
    so...you realize when he dies the money doesn't just vanish....like he likely has enough money that his family will basically also be stupid rich for generations to come and will continue to get stupid amounts of money just for having stupid amounts of money. Unless something happens that all forms of money just become worthless which will never happen in our lifetimes.
    I won't need to worry about money once my house is self sufficient and a greenhouse at least.