Page 20 of 45 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurrora View Post
    This was so much better than the original Justice League it probably would have saved the DCU had it come out three years ago. The best improvements are Cyborg's storyline(no wonder Ray Fisher was so pissed at Joss Whedon) and the finale. The half hour epilogue could have been safely trimmed away since it's not really relevant without a sequel movie.
    I haven't watched this and quite frankly don't want to waste 4 hours watching Zack Snyder masturbate onto the screen.

However, I should point the DCU has already been saved by Wonder Woman, Shazam and Aquaman.

Quote Originally Posted by jimboa24 View Post
    I'm not far in, but I'm not impressed. So far, the biggest changes seem to have been to significantly slow the pace and add in obnoxious wailing/singing. One thing that seriously bothers me about the intro sequence where Wonder Woman takes out the terrorists: what exactly is the function of the building the terrorists took over? Because it looks like a museum to me. The reason that bothers me is the main terrorist spouts some inane dribble about "DOWN WITH THE MODERN WORLD!!!" If he has such a problem with the modern world, then why the fuck would you bomb a museum??? You should be going after power plants, backup servers for major tech companies, WiFi towers, etc. A museum is a fucking building dedicated to the past.
    They’re touring the Bank of England...

Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrst View Post
    Pretty sure it's this place, with Justicia on top of it.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not far in, but I'm not impressed. So far, the biggest changes seem to have been to significantly slow the pace and add in obnoxious wailing/singing. One thing that seriously bothers me about the intro sequence where Wonder Woman takes out the terrorists: what exactly is the function of the building the terrorists took over? Because it looks like a museum to me. The reason that bothers me is the main terrorist spouts some inane dribble about "DOWN WITH THE MODERN WORLD!!!" If he has such a problem with the modern world, then why the fuck would you bomb a museum??? You should be going after power plants, backup servers for major tech companies, WiFi towers, etc. A museum is a fucking building dedicated to the past.
    The function of the building they took over is that of Central Criminal Court of England and Wales. It's the heart of the British judicial system, or at least a major part of it. Don't blame the movie for your lack of knowledge. I've never been to London, but even I can spot judges in wigs running around and Wonder Woman standing on top of a statue of Justicia, symbol for equality before the law in all the west. Maybe people saying the average movie goer isn't smart enough for DC movies are on to something?

Edit: The english term for the lady on top is apperantly Lady Justice. I falsely translated the German name for her. I'd say that's rather heavy handed symbolism, but apperantly it was lost on at least one guy here, so...
    Last edited by Skulltaker; 2021-03-18 at 01:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    However, I should point the DCU has already been saved by Wonder Woman, Shazam and Aquaman.
    Well, one of the above did a significant effort in burying it again just last christmass eve.

Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post

- - - Updated - - -

The function of the building they took over is that of Central Criminal Court of England and Wales. It's the heart of the British judicial system, or at least a major part of it. Don't blame the movie for your lack of knowledge. I've never been to London, but even I can spot judges in wigs running around and Wonder Woman standing on top of a statue of Justicia, symbol for equality before the law in all the west. Maybe people saying the average movie goer isn't smart enough for DC movies are on to something?

Edit: The english term for the lady on top is apperantly Lady Justice. I falsely translated the German name for her. I'd say that's rather heavy handed symbolism, but apperantly it was lost on at least one guy here, so...
    That’s strange given one of the storyboards I saw ages mentioned the Bank of England. I’m unsure why they’d want to bomb the Old Bailey. Was fun to see the area since I work like 3 streets away.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    According to the wiki it’s definitely the Old Bailey.

https://dcextendeduniverse.fandom.co...ley_Courthouse

And we gotta remember they were going to take out 4 blocks with that bomb(according to the terrorist guy).
    That's just weird. It doesn't even jive with the dialogue. If they're trying to take down the Bank of England as a 'let's create chaos by doing this as a symbolic gesture' sure. But destroying the Old Bailey doesn't really make sense. Add to that the dialogue itself was cheesy AF. And I liked the movie.

The weakest bits for me were the voiceover for the Darkseid flashback and the voiceover for the Cyborg montage. Both could've been delivered far better and just felt weirdly lazy. So did the voiceovers for when Clark was getting ready to do First Flight V2.

The editing could've been sharper overall too.

Also the epilogue was really bad and pointless. Could've been shortened down to what was in the theatrical edition and it would've been just fine.
    Last edited by DingDongKing; 2021-03-18 at 02:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zmagoslav View Post
    Well, one of the above did a significant effort in burying it again just last christmass eve.
    No, I watched all 3 of those movies. They were all really good. Much better than Justice League.

No, I watched all 3 of those movies. They were all really good. Much better than Justice League.
    They are talking about WW84 which is an exceptionally awful film thats flushed away alot of the wonder woman good will garnered from the 1st film

Quote Originally Posted by minkage View Post
    They are talking about WW84 which is an exceptionally awful film thats flushed away alot of the wonder woman good will garnered from the 1st film
    There are plenty of weak MCU films that didn't hurt the MCU.

Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post

- - - Updated - - -

My point stands. Bombing Old Bailey (no, I didn't recognize it because excuse me for not being familiar with British landmarks, you pompous twat) isn't going to do a damn thing to send humanity back to the dark ages. At all. It's a stupid fucking target. If you want to send humanity back to the Medieval period, you attack centers of technology, or anything that will disrupt electrical power or communications.

What you DON'T do is bomb a Courthouse, no matter how old or culturally important it is.

I'm now an hour in and I had to pause it there, and my initial thoughts stand: is it better than the theatrical abomination? Hell yes, way, way better. But it's still not good. Not by a longshot.

That's just weird. It doesn't even jive with the dialogue. If they're trying to take down the Bank of England as a 'let's create chaos by doing this as a symbolic gesture' sure. But destroying the Old Bailey doesn't really make sense. Add to that the dialogue itself was cheesy AF. And I liked the movie.
    WELL, it was the first building destroyed by V in V for Vendetta, because it was no longer a symbol of justice in a country. Considering the impact of V, I can imagine it making sense for anarachist groups to see it as their first target to destroy, for symbolic reasons. Highly doubt that's anything like Snyders thinking on that one though. + Pretty sure they weren't even an anarchist group so..
    BASIC CAMPFIRE for WARCHIEF UK Prime Minister!

Quote Originally Posted by rogueMatthias View Post
    WELL, it was the first building destroyed by V in V for Vendetta, because it was no longer a symbol of justice in a country. Considering the impact of V, I can imagine it making sense for anarachist groups to see it as their first target to destroy, for symbolic reasons. Highly doubt that's anything like Snyders thinking on that one though. + Pretty sure they weren't even an anarchist group so..
    Yeah, it didn't make sense. The introduction for WW could've been better. I liked the introduction for the rest of the guys.

That said, the action in the England scene was still pretty damn cool.

One thing I can't help but admire Snyder for is he doesn't give a damn about toys or fitting an agenda. He just loves what he does.
    Last edited by DingDongKing; 2021-03-18 at 03:03 PM.

Initial audience scores are seemingly very good. They'll, as with most scores, likely fall down a bit. However since the score is so high currently there's a very high likelyhood that a majority of moviewatchers will like this movie by a fair bit.

There are plenty of weak MCU films that didn't hurt the MCU.
    An MCU ”bad” film is still a lot better than a DC ”Good” film.

Unless it’s thor 2, Fk that one.

Awsome signature and avatar made by Kuragalolz

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    No one should read film reviews to judge if they will necessarily line up with their own take; you read them for the reviewer's take which is the goal in itself.
    I read movies reviews and look up audience scores to help me determine which movies to watch. I can't watch them all, so I try to get a general feel for how the general audience enjoyed the movie is for a better chance of enjoying the movies I do watch.

I obviously don't agree with the reviews every time, but I find I line up with aggregate of audience reviews more often than not. What I've come to find out in the last 10 years or so is that I disagree with the aggregate of critic reviews more often than not, and often by quite a bit. Maybe I always did, and just wasn't paying as much attention until more recently.

So you can do all the explaining to why a movie is or isn't as good as the reviews, or attempt to explain what the reviewers really felt, etc. Maybe I'm the weirdo here and everyone else over analyses the reviews. I dunno. I'm just looking to see, "did the audience generally enjoy the movie?". If so, and the movie interests me, I may go watch it. The critics? I couldn't care less what they think. They do not think like I do.

"Take the time to sit down and talk with your adversaries. You will learn something, and they will learn something from you. When two enemies are talking, they are not fighting. It's when the talking ceases that the ground becomes fertile for violence. So keep the conversation going."
    ~ Daryl Davis

so I finally sat down to watch this monstrosity (have HBO as a promo from my internet company). 2 minutes in and I'm already having trouble not rolling my eyes.

Snyder has one gimmick and he WILL abuse it every chance he gets.... no, I didn't think whedon cut was good. but given that I have trouble sitting through this one ALREADY?

Quote Originally Posted by Crillam View Post
    But bad according to who? You? Your neighbour? Your wifes boyfriend? How do you explain how people can dislike what is in general seen as a "good" movie? Do they just have poor taste?
    You are asking two different questions. How good or bad a movie is doesn't directly correlate to what I like or dislike. While I would contend that both measurements are subjective, "good" & "bad" have more of a consensus agreement by the audience.

To your question, I can often dislike a good movie because the story bores me. That's not to say that anything in the production of the movie is bad, like good plot, good writing, good acting, good lighting, good framing, etc, etc. but I'm not feeling any interest in the story. So it's a good movie that I dislike. On the opposite side, bad movies can be enjoyable if they make me laugh. I typically don't enjoy bad movies that make me cringe, but if the "bad" can make me laugh, I can sometimes enjoy them.

"Take the time to sit down and talk with your adversaries. You will learn something, and they will learn something from you. When two enemies are talking, they are not fighting. It's when the talking ceases that the ground becomes fertile for violence. So keep the conversation going."
    ~ Daryl Davis

My point stands. Bombing Old Bailey (no, I didn't recognize it because excuse me for not being familiar with British landmarks, you pompous twat) isn't going to do a damn thing to send humanity back to the dark ages. At all. It's a stupid fucking target. If you want to send humanity back to the Medieval period, you attack centers of technology, or anything that will disrupt electrical power or communications.

What you DON'T do is bomb a Courthouse, no matter how old or culturally important it is.

I'm now an hour in and I had to pause it there, and my initial thoughts stand: is it better than the theatrical abomination? Hell yes, way, way better. But it's still not good. Not by a longshot.
    Neither am I. As I've said, never been to London. It took me exactly 30 secs to find out what building they were fighting in, seeing how there's a statue of Lady Justice, a well-known symbol in the west to everybody who has had basic education, and seeing black-robed old men with wigs. All I did was google 'London Court House' et voila. Don't insult me because you've about as much common sense and education in you as a sea cucumber.

And seeing how the judicial system is seen as a symbol of oppression by terrorists and extremists, since this system tends to target them, and how a fair and unbiased judicial system is one of the things our society developed and actually marks an advancement from the Dark Ages, and seeing how equality before the law is one of the few things that actually has advanced in humanity, since then, it makes perfect sense to target it if you want society to regress. Law and order are, on paper, cornerstones of our modern society, not the internet, not your smartphone, not fast food or easy transportation. Those are all commodities. Again, don't blame the movie because your brain, used to be served information on a silver platter and spoon-fed to you, cannot process information given by a movie unless it is literally spelled out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    so I finally sat down to watch this monstrosity (have HBO as a promo from my internet company). 2 minutes in and I'm already having trouble not rolling my eyes.

Snyder has one gimmick and he WILL abuse it every chance he gets.... no, I didn't think Whedon cut was good. but given that I have trouble sitting through this one ALREADY?
    I'll be watching it this weekend. I never got my hopes up on this being a great remake because I can remember Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut. My bro got really excited to see it, explaining that Donner was the better director and would have done a better job if they let him do the entire movie. Then I watched it and told him that based on some of the decisions that were made, I can understand why they let Donner go and finished it without him. That said, my understanding is that Snyder wasn't "let go" like Donner was, so this isn't exactly a parallel, but I've been tempering my expectations anyway, like, maybe there's a good reason they had Joss go a different direction.

~ Daryl Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Ragedaug View Post
    I'll be watching it this weekend. I never got my hopes up on this being a great remake because I can remember Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut. My bro got really excited to see it, explaining that Donner was the better director and would have done a better job if they let him do the entire movie. Then I watched it and told him that based on some of the decisions that were made, I can understand why they let Donner go and finished it without him. That said, my understanding is that Snyder wasn't "let go" like Donner was, so this isn't exactly a parallel, but I've been tempering my expectations anyway, like, maybe there's a good reason they had Joss go a different direction.
    to give you an idea without spoilers.

there is a lot of pathos and taking himself way WAY too seriously (imo). also i'm having 300 dejavu with a touch of Lord of the rings. the worst parts.

I'm still very early into a movie (though the fact that I keep getting distracted and pausing - does not bode well) so I'm hoping that maybe I will get into it eventualy.